Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Senior Hurling Championship (Liam Mccarthy Cup) 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Girly Gal wrote: »
    There aren't 7 teams who have a serious chance of winning the all Ireland, 3 at a push, the rest are much of a muchness and might on their day cause a shock, but, won't be able to do it over 2/3 games.
    The semi finalists from 2013 didn't really do much in the all Ireland championship in the following 2 or 3 seasons, the Limerick team of 2018 was completely different to the 2013 team.
    have to disagree if there was a year anything is possible this is the year, so many potential spanner in the works for different teams too.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Do KK have strength in depth these days. I think they are barely top 5 in the first team so don't know how good the rest of the panel are

I would say kilkenny have plenty of lads with similar abilities albeit not the stars of previous years.. I think if they avoid tipp they will have a great chance..young Tommy Walsh..Wallace ballyhale young guns..billy ryan..Donnelly lawlor ..conor Delaney.. will be core of the next great kilkenny team hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Fancy Limerick myself but any of Galway, Kilkenny, Cork or Tipp could win it imo. Don't think Wexford, Waterford or Dublin have the firepower to do it. Clare are as good as gone after yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,319 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Limerick and Tipp are head and shoulders above the rest, Wexford, Kilkenny and Cork will be competitive but don't have enough quality to beat Limerick and Tipp if those two get close to top form, Galway are in a mess and l don't see them challenging this year.

How are Galway in a mess? The last two semi competitive games we saw them in they beat Cork and absolutely hammered Tipp. Not that I would make them favourites up with Limerick and Tipp or anything but I haven't seen much evidence that they are in a mess either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Just checking, are any of the posters that said Horgan is a good ref not from Tipp ?
    I don't think he's bad, and he's not popular in Waterford. He's better than several of his colleagues

But today was not his best day.
    benji79 wrote: »
    I’m from Cork, think he’s an excellent ref

That didn't go quite to plan Gentleman! And I was the one who began the criticism and I am a Tipp man, better look next time :D

• Advertisement

C__MC wrote: »
    Limerick are going to be hard to stop
    They would be going for 3 in a row only for a bad 15 minutes last year
    I cant see tipp beating them, limerick gave tipp a huge beating last year

In a meaningless game where both teams were already progressing regardless?

Tipp had already beaten Limerick two weeks earlier, again in a meaningless game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

There aren't 7 teams who have a serious chance of winning the all Ireland, 3 at a push, the rest are much of a muchness and might on their day cause a shock, but, won't be able to do it over 2/3 games.
    The semi finalists from 2013 didn't really do much in the all Ireland championship in the following 2 or 3 seasons, the Limerick team of 2018 was completely different to the 2013 team.

I won't get into my view on who'll do what this year yet, I'm just saying it's not wise writing teams off this early and has been found out time and again. It's a logic that has a hangover from the 2000-2009 decade, the least competitive decade in hurling history (only 3 winners in that decade, the only time that's ever occurred as far as I can tell).

You'd never have called Limerick as champions in 2018 given they had scarcely won a match in the previous 3 championships.

Tipp didn't win a game in 2018, nobody was expecting them to win all but one last year.

There's huge talent there between them don't get me wrong, but whoever gets beaten next weekend will have to win 4-5 games on the bounce to win an all Ireland.

Whoever loses that match is really up against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,399 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Pogue eile wrote: »
    In a meaningless game where both teams were already progressing regardless?

Tipp had already beaten Limerick two weeks earlier, again in a meaningless game.

Ya there really hasn't been a proper arses on the line game between the two since the first round of Munster in 2018 and Tipp were a bit of a joke that year. Even this weekend no one is in danger of going out but if they were to meet again later on it could be a real epic or real nasty

Ya there really hasn't been a proper arses on the line game between the two since the first round of Munster in 2018 and Tipp were a bit of a joke that year. Even this weekend no one is in danger of going out but if they were to meet again later on it could be a real epic or real nasty

To be honest I am a little bit indifferent to next weekend, on one side I am sure Sheedy may well have taken the view of 4 games, thats all 4 games and we are champions, but on the other side of the coin is it is invariably incredibly difficult to beat the same team twice and I would say there is a very strong chance that the two will meet again, not a given of course but if you were a betting man etc.

Yesterday will certainly stand to Limerick and one only has to look at the contrast between their first half and their second half, if Tipp have a similar 'bedding in' period then the game will be over after 20 mins. However on the flip side Limerick didnt really get to find out anything about their Full Back line yesterday and if John McGrath, Seamie Callanan, Bubbles/Jake Morris are on song it could be a goal fest.

It would be great to see both teams go hell for leather - imagine the Limerick half forward line v Tipp half back line going at it full belt! - but I suspect there will be an element of shadow boxing going on from one or probably both teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,664 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Limerick the obvious favourites, they barely got past 2nd gear yesterday and won by 10 points. But I wouldnt be ruling out the likes of Galway, Kilkenny, Tipperary & wexford.

You need dogs for winter hurling and kilkenny have plenty of them, remember they took down limerick last year and are more than capable of doing it again.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

To be honest I am a little bit indifferent to next weekend, on one side I am sure Sheedy may well have taken the view of 4 games, thats all 4 games and we are champions, but on the other side of the coin is it is invariably incredibly difficult to beat the same team twice and I would say there is a very strong chance that the two will meet again, not a given of course but if you were a betting man etc.

Yesterday will certainly stand to Limerick and one only has to look at the contrast between their first half and their second half, if Tipp have a similar 'bedding in' period then the game will be over after 20 mins. However on the flip side Limerick didnt really get to find out anything about their Full Back line yesterday and if John McGrath, Seamie Callanan, Bubbles/Jake Morris are on song it could be a goal fest.

It would be great to see both teams go hell for leather - imagine the Limerick half forward line v Tipp half back line going at it full belt! - but I suspect there will be an element of shadow boxing going on from one or probably both teams.

Ya much like last year if one team pulls ahead there won't be that same fear to kill yourself or them to pull it back level. Might have been different a few years ago but both teams have plenty of medals in the pocket and are favourites for the AI so a Munster win is secondary

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Limerick the obvious favourites, they barely got past 2nd gear yesterday and won by 10 points. But I wouldnt be ruling out the likes of Galway, Kilkenny, Tipperary & wexford.

You need dogs for winter hurling and kilkenny have plenty of them, remember they took down limerick last year and are more than capable of doing it again.

Are they pedigree or mongrels.

Ya but also remember Tipp made them look like pups a few weeks later. They might have bullied a complacent young Limerick team but still finished another year with no trophy

Fred Daly wrote: »
    Are they pedigree or mongrels.

There is a few of them have the mange at this stage :P

Of course I jest, anyone writing KK off could be made to look very foolish, this is probably the most unpredictable year in championship history with so many variables etc. any of 6 counties could win it. Bookies have it fairly spot on in how they rank those 6, Wexford I felt were originally overpriced but wont be suited by the conditions and don't have the squad for a condensed championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

That's the problem with the hurling championship, too many matches with nothing on the line, it's really only from the provincial finals on that the real hurling begins and with the round robin series of last few years a team can lose 2 matches and win the all Ireland which is madness. There's a myth that there's 5 or 6 teams can win an all Ireland on any given year when generally only 2 or 3 have a serious chance,.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Hawkeye9212

That's the problem with the hurling championship, too many matches with nothing on the line, it's really only from the provincial finals on that the real hurling begins and with the round robin series of last few years a team can lose 2 matches and win the all Ireland which is madness. There's a myth that there's 5 or 6 teams can win an all Ireland on any given year when generally only 2 or 3 have a serious chance,.

I think it would be better if the provincial finalists met in the final. No backdoor. Wexford v Kilkenny and Tipp v Limerick won't be meaningless anymore. Joe McDonagh teams shouldn't get into the All-Ireland series anymore. I know Laois beat Dublin last year but that was an outlier. Westmeath got battered by Cork in Mullingar.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭donnem33

I don't understand how wexford are rated so highly on this forum. They were literally seconds from being knocked out of leinster last year, and arguably Davy would be gone this year. The only team they actually beat in the round robin was Carlow and were very fortunate that kilkenny uncharacteristically panicked in the closing stages of the leinster final trying for a goal, whereas if the took the easy point opportunities they probably would have won. Wexford played well against tipp - but still didnt win!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Hawkeye9212

donnem33 wrote: »
    I don't understand how wexford are rated so highly on this forum. They were literally seconds from being knocked out of leinster last year, and arguably Davy would be gone this year. The only team they actually beat in the round robin was Carlow and were very fortunate that kilkenny uncharacteristically panicked in the closing stages of the leinster final trying for a goal, whereas if the took the easy point opportunities they probably would have won. Wexford played well against tipp - but still didnt win!

Galway should have beat them in Salthill. Wexford are a good side but we'll see if they can maintain that when Davy leaves. I can't see him staying on much longer. I couldn't do that commute.

Galway should have beat them in Salthill. Wexford are a good side but we'll see if they can maintain that when Davy leaves. I can't see him staying on much longer. I couldn't do that commute.

I agree - they are a fine side and are difficult to beat with their system.

But they have done nothing to justify being ranked 3rd/4th imo.

I agree - they are a fine side and are difficult to beat with their system.

But they have done nothing to justify being ranked 3rd/4th imo.

Leinster champions and all Ireland semi finalists. As rankings go thats gotta put you up there

• Advertisement

Leinster champions and all Ireland semi finalists. As rankings go thats gotta put you up there

They beat a kilkenny team that panicked in the closing stages of the leinster final last year. Who else did they defeat?

They beat a kilkenny team that panicked in the closing stages of the leinster final last year. Who else did they defeat?

They won 2 games overall which is the same as Clare, Galway and Dublin
    Cork and Limerick, Laois 1 and Waterford 0. So going by that I suppose they should be 5th but that doesnt tell the whole story.

You say they beat a panicked KK well you could also say Tipp beat a panicked Wexford. Personally Id have them level with KK, Cork and Galway behind the top 2

They lost to the all Ireland champions by 2 points. Who else beat them?

Depending on the draw, if Limerick lose and don't get a bye they'd be playing 6 weeks in a row up to the semi final.

If Tipp win, 5 weeks in a row. This is not an ordinary year, Sunday is pretty close to a must win game for both of them.

Limerick lost three times last year, where do you rank them???

Limerick lost three times last year, where do you rank them???

At least limerick were all Ireland champs in 2018 and are back to back league champs.

I'm aware rankings are subjective, i just dont understand how most people seem to have wexford above the likes of cork or galway - teams who are have consistently been in semi finals the past 5 years.

Wexford were seconds and a late lee chin free deep into injury time from being dumped out of leinster last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭conor05

At least limerick were all Ireland champs in 2018 and are back to back league champs.

I'm aware rankings are subjective, i just dont understand how most people seem to have wexford above the likes of cork or galway - teams who are have consistently been in semi finals the past 5 years.

Wexford were seconds and a late lee chin free deep into injury time from being dumped out of leinster last year!

And so what? Just because they drew a tight match.

Your argument is not making any sense.

Rankings are based on recent form and Wexford’s last championship matches landed a Leinster title and then a thriller against the eventual All Ireland champions Tipp who completely wiped the floor with Kilkenny in the final.

That is what Wexford’s rankings are based on. Not because ‘they were seconds from being knocked out of Leinster’

If they have a crap year this winter their rankings would change next year. Obviously

Wexford, kilkenny, Dublin and galway were in the 4th place at some point in the last 35 mins of last years leinster round robin Dublin and kilkenny were as equally fortunate as Wexford to get through, Wexford were also the better team in their game against galway in salthill last year contrary to earlier posts, galway did blow them away in 2017 and 18

Big games next weekend as anyone who is beatan could have to play 5 weekend's in a row to reach an All Ireland final, best scenario would be getting a bye in qualifiers round 1 followed by 3 weekends on the bounce, going the front door route has never been as valuable, even reaching a provincial final and getting beat looks like a better route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,027 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

The only thing consistent about Cork being in semi-finals over the last few years is their tendency to bottle it every single time. At least Galway have some pedigree in going down fighting.

Advertisement