Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Senior Hurling Championship (Liam Mccarthy Cup) 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭C__MC

Is there a sting in galway this year
    I just cant see it
    I feel they have a huge period of success in the last decade and they may be over the hill

Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,664 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

PTH2009 wrote: »
    unreal weekend of Hurling coming up 4 provincial semi finals

Super Saturday
    Cork vs Waterford- 3.30pm (Sky Sports Mix)
    Kilkenny vs Dublin- 3.45pm (GAAGO)
    Galway vs Wexford- 6.15pm (RTE)

Sunday
    Limerick vs Tipp-4pm (RTE)

You'd think they'd want to play the game on Sunday during the daylight as opposed to waiting all day and then playing under lights. Hurling under lights should be avoided if possible.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,351 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

You'd think they'd want to play the game on Sunday during the daylight as opposed to waiting all day and then playing under lights. Hurling under lights should be avoided if possible.

I actually really enjoy attending hurling games under the lights.
    Not so much when on TV though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

I don't think the lights are on for the first half. Gets dark around 17.00 or so? Anyway doesn't bother me either way. Tyrone v Donegal as the early match on Sunday at 14.00 is a mouthwatering game, also. And have all day to look forward to Limerick v Tipp.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

C__MC wrote: »
    Is there a sting in galway this year
    I just cant see it
    I feel they have a huge period of success in the last decade and they may be over the hill

Thoughts?

I'd agree, think Wexford will beat Galway at weekend, Davy will have Wexford ready to hit the ground running against Galway. At the moment I wouldn't really fancy Galway against any of the top 4 or 5 sides. Galway have slipped a fair bit since 2017 and are still too reliant on Joe. Of course Galway are always liable to give a big performance when least expected.

• Advertisement

I expect Galway to beat Wexford on Saturday. And the bookies do too as their 8/11 favourites. They are also real contenders to win the All Ireland with quality all over the field. Big strong men in pivotal positions. More scoring power than Wexford. Experience of winning. I wouldn't be writing off Galway. Not by a long shot.

I expect Galway to beat Wexford on Saturday. And the bookies do too as their 8/11 favourites. They are also real contenders to win the All Ireland with quality all over the field. Big strong men in pivotal positions. More scoring power than Wexford. Experience of winning. I wouldn't be writing off Galway. Not by a long shot.

Galway might get over Wexford and maybe even win Leinster, but , won't be winning an All Ireland. Tipp and Limerick are much stronger, very hard to see Galway getting over either of them.

Girly Gal wrote: »
    Galway might get over Wexford and maybe even win Leinster, but , won't be winning an All Ireland. Tipp and Limerick are much stronger, very hard to see Galway getting over either of them.

If Galway play close to their best they can beat any team. Anything can happen when two strong teams meet. Limerick or Tipp might have an off day. A red card like what happened to Richie Hogan could affect any game. I make Limerick All Ireland favourites but any team can be beaten when up against other top teams and i still rate this Galway side highly.

If Galway play close to their best they can beat any team. Anything can happen when two strong teams meet. Limerick or Tipp might have an off day. A red card like what happened to Richie Hogan could affect any game. I make Limerick All Ireland favourites but any team can be beaten when up against other top teams and i still rate this Galway side highly.

My gut feeling is that Galway are nowhere near where they were in 2017, unless they have had a big turnaround during the lockdown, I don't really see them challenging this year, we'll have a better idea after the weekend where they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,319 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Not sure about Limerick but Galway nearly always raise their game against Tipp and always feel they can beat them and often do.

I'm unsure where Galway are at if only because they have a brand new coaching set up and have had very little time together to work on what game plan or style of play they are looking to implement. Really just a few league games 7 or 8 months ago and a couple challenge games. However there is no lack of talent there. Even going out early last year they still went down to Kilkenny and beat Kilkenny in Nowlan Park without Joe Canning. Had Kilkenny and Wexford not drawn they would have gone through and had Canning back for the knock out stages. And who knows after that?

That said Wexford are a safer pick on Saturday if only because they all know what Davy's game plan and style of play is inside out by now.

• Advertisement

My gut feeling is that Galway are nowhere near where they were in 2017, unless they have had a big turnaround during the lockdown, I don't really see them challenging this year, we'll have a better idea after the weekend where they are.

Exactly. Lets wait and see how they shape up on Saturday. Has the makings of a good game.

If the Galway team that played against Limerick in February turns out this year, they haven't a hope of winning an AI.

However if the team that turned out just before the lockdown and hammered Tipperary, they have as good of a chance as the other two.

I wouldn't bet either way as the match in Limerick was one of the worst I went to and the Tipperary game was the best they played in two years so who knows.

What i would say about Limerick is they were a Joe free away from drawing that AI and we were absolutely toxic apart from the 9mins of injury time.
    Coughed up possession for at least two goals in simple ways you wouldnt normally see. And despite that they were nearly caught.

I wouldn't be blowing that team up to the heights others are.

Not sure about Limerick but Galway nearly always raise their game against Tipp and always feel they can beat them and often do.

I'm unsure where Galway are at if only because they have a brand new coaching set up and have had very little time together to work on what game plan or style of play they are looking to implement. Really just a few league games 7 or 8 months ago and a couple challenge games. However there is no lack of talent there. Even going out early last year they still went down to Kilkenny and beat Kilkenny in Nowlan Park without Joe Canning.

Yes and they only went out of Leinster on score difference due to Wexford drawing with Kilkenny. And Galway definately would fancy their chances v Tipp or any other team. The last four big games i remember them playing Tipp they won three of them. The three excellent All Ireland semi finals where they won two and also hammered Tipp in a League final. And nearly reeled in Limerick in the All Ireland final with 10 very late minutes of good hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭threeball

The break will suit Galway. Lots of long years behind them over the last decade, this was a chance to regroup. It gave the manager a right good look at what was available during the club championship and the panel reflects it. Its the strongest panel they've had to date. Plenty of depth and back up.
    I think they are second favourites only to Limerick and will have huge motivation to beat them if they meet after 2018. The Tipp game in the league showed they were going in the right direction and still had players to return. Theyre in a stronger position now than if championship had been played as usual and have the big men for winter hurling as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭conor05

threeball wrote: »
    The break will suit Galway. Lots of long years behind them over the last decade, this was a chance to regroup. It gave the manager a right good look at what was available during the club championship and the panel reflects it. Its the strongest panel they've had to date. Plenty of depth and back up.
    I think they are second favourites only to Limerick and will have huge motivation to beat them if they meet after 2018. The Tipp game in the league showed they were going in the right direction and still had players to return. Theyre in a stronger position now than if championship had been played as usual and have the big men for winter hurling as well.

I don’t think winter hurling will be much of a factor in Croke Park. Ball was hopping off the sod for the nippy Dublin players last week and this type of fast game suits Wexford mobility and attacking from all different angles.

I always associated big men for winter hurling to suit club teams playing in heavy pitches in places like Tullamore etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭lim4ev

If the Galway team that played against Limerick in February turns out this year, they haven't a hope of winning an AI.

However if the team that turned out just before the lockdown and hammered Tipperary, they have as good of a chance as the other two.

I wouldn't bet either way as the match in Limerick was one of the worst I went to and the Tipperary game was the best they played in two years so who knows.

What i would say about Limerick is they were a Joe free away from drawing that AI and we were absolutely toxic apart from the 9mins of injury time.
    Coughed up possession for at least two goals in simple ways you wouldnt normally see. And despite that they were nearly caught.

All fair points about limerick and the all Ireland final but we were hardly at our best in last 15 minutes or so I counted 1 -7 we blew that we should have scored and that's not counting the stupid shots from half back and sideline shots but definitely yea ye coughed up 2 bad goals alright. Dunno how to call Galway yet but if I was pushed I'd go for wexford

• Registered Users Posts: 24,399 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The Limerick team in 2018 were very young and still are and with the weight of Limericks history of hurlings biggest underachievers and possibly the greatest sleeping giant county in the GAA and add to that our well known stories of blowing finals. Looking back it was probably the most Limerick way of finally ending the years of heartbreak.

Hurling has been so mad the last few years that there doesnt seem to be any form to go on other than the few games we have seen so far in October and no way would I write Galway off until we see them over the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭carq

Interesting to see how waterford go today.
    After last years capitulations and non effort I would be hoping for a big response.

Still have issues with lack of scoring forwards, no defined position for gleeson but would be hoping to see an increase in tackling, turnovers and at least out work cork today.

Big blow for Galway with their 4 time All Star full back Daithi Burke not making the game. And midfielder David Burke not fit to start either. Still a strong looking team but any team would be weaker without these two.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,664 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Galway have a great chance they still have a really good team but it seems to be same team we've seen for the last 4/5 years. Doesn't seem to be too many players breaking through. Will be interesting to see how they'll go today, I'd expect them to beat wexford.

Can see Waterford bringing a big performance under Cahill. Still don't have the forwards but conditions today should suit. Some good young players and I'd expect a big improvement over last year and I wouldn't be surprised if they snuck a win today.

Dublin and limerick having the game last week gives them a 4/5 point head start in my opinion. So I'd expect Dublin to look for a fast start and wouldn't be surprised if they were ahead by half time. Expect kilkenny to improve after the break and can see them winning by 4-6 points in the end.

Limerick Tipp should be interesting, pity they're playing it late in the day under lights. No reason why the game couldn't be on much earlier. Think the game last week will stand to limerick and they seem to be close to full strength so I'd fancy them to get the job done.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭tipp_tipp_tipp

Looking forward to the games this weekend. Only one I'd put money on is Kilkenny beating Dublin. Dublin are decent but just can't see them winning. The others are so hard to call. I do fancy Waterford to pull off a win. They won't fear cork and I'd say Cahill will have them chomping at the bit to get stuck into them. Would be good to see them win, been too long since they're last victory. I'd probably back Limerick over Tipp. The game last weekend is a big advantage for them. Galway Wexford is a coin toss for me. No clue which Galway will turn up. Wexford looked very impressive last year but you wonder if Davy has got the best out of them at this stage. We'll all be a lot wiser Sunday evening as to what direction championship 2020 is likely to go.

Big blow for Galway with their 4 time All Star full back Daithi Burke not making the game. And midfielder David Burke not fit to start either. Still a strong looking team but any team would be weaker without these two.

Of the two David Burke is the bigger loss, Daithi Burke is overrated as a full back, great under a high dropping ball but struggles against fast skilful players and poor at clearing his lines which has led to Galway conceding a lot of soft goals, 2018 final a prime example

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Girly Gal wrote:
    Of the two David Burke is the bigger loss, Daithi Burke is overrated as a full back, great under a high dropping ball but struggles against fast skilful players and poor at clearing his lines which has led to Galway conceding a lot of soft goals, 2018 final a prime example

All star full back four years running 15, 16, 17 and 18 overrated?? I always like a chuckle on a Saturday morning. These fast skillful players would they be the likes of Seamus Callanan TJ Reid or Patrick Horgan? Maybe you should ask them what they think of our overrated Daithi. You'll find them in his pocket if you want to find out the answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭MfMan

Merciful hour, the All Star selection committee is looking for you. Don't think any of the three goals conceded in 2018 final were his fault, and definitely didn't come from his bad clearances.

Nonsense.

After Joe Canning i would have Daithi and David Burke as Galway's three most important and best players. Daithi Burke the games best full back over the last five years or more. David Burke a silky midfielder who has lovely wrists and chipped in with 0-4 from play in a man of the match performance in 2017 All Ire final. Quality hurlers.

MfMan wrote: »
    Merciful hour, the All Star selection committee is looking for you. Don't think any of the three goals conceded in 2018 final were his fault, and definitely didn't come from his bad clearances.

Nonsense.

He was caught out of position for the first 2 goals and made a pitiful attempt to stop the third, same thing with the Shane o Donnell goal in the semi final, I had thought it was him that lost possession for one of the goals in second half against Limerick, I'll admit I was wrong there, but, he's generally not great at clearing his lines He was better up to 2017, but, since then hasn't been great. As for the all stars plenty of players get all stars on past reputation, he certainly shouldn't have got one in 2018

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Swamp_Cat

Galway have a great chance they still have a really good team but it seems to be same team we've seen for the last 4/5 years. Doesn't seem to be too many players breaking through. Will be interesting to see how they'll go today, I'd expect them to beat wexford.

Can see Waterford bringing a big performance under Cahill. Still don't have the forwards but conditions today should suit. Some good young players and I'd expect a big improvement over last year and I wouldn't be surprised if they snuck a win today.

Dublin and limerick having the game last week gives them a 4/5 point head start in my opinion. So I'd expect Dublin to look for a fast start and wouldn't be surprised if they were ahead by half time. Expect kilkenny to improve after the break and can see them winning by 4-6 points in the end.

Limerick Tipp should be interesting, pity they're playing it late in the day under lights. No reason why the game couldn't be on much earlier. Think the game last week will stand to limerick and they seem to be close to full strength so I'd fancy them to get the job done.

Based on last week, I'll take Tipp. LK not even close to threatening goals will have to change to beat Tipp. Something tells me neither will make the final or at least take Liam home. Not based on much but feeling. Not the year we'd have hoped for but consider myself lucky to have any championship at all, though personally would rather have had a full club competition. can't have it all. 🀙ðŸ½

Julie catch a rabbit by its hare...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,399 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Swamp_Cat wrote: »
    Based on last week, I'll take Tipp. LK not even close to threatening goals will have to change to beat Tipp. Something tells me neither will make the final or at least take Liam home. Not based on much but feeling. Not the year we'd have hoped for but consider myself lucky to have any championship at all, though personally would rather have had a full club competition. can't have it all. ��ðŸ½

I cant tell if this is trolling or you are new to hurling. Why would a team need to threaten the goal if they are been allowed to bang in 30 odd points from all over the pitch. This aint soccer kid

breezy1985 wrote: »
    I cant tell if this is trolling or you are new to hurling. Why would a team need to threaten the goal if they are been allowed to bang in 30 odd points from all over the pitch. This aint soccer kid

This was coming up when Galway won the AI... "they wont beat Tipp without a goal". But they did and same for the final.

It doesn't matter how you put the score together, once you put a high total up, but if you can hit 0-25 plus you'll be hard beat. Granted it's harder to get 25 scores than 25 points(with some goals).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

It'll be harder score 0-30 in December than August. Weather was good last weekend, we are in lottery territory from here on out.

Advertisement