Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Senior Hurling Championship (Liam Mccarthy Cup) 2020

Options
  • 26-06-2020 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,799 ✭✭✭✭

Knock-out Hurling Championships Leinster & Munster
    1 x Provincial Quarter Final, 2 x Semi Finals, Provincial Finals (Draw specifics to be confirmed by the Provinces)

Qualifiers:
    RD1 DRAW
    6 teams that do not make the Provincial Finals placed in a draw
    First 4 teams drawn meet in Rd1; These to include BOTH defeated Provincial Quarter finalists.
    Bowl 1 – Leinster Teams – Bowl 2 Munster Teams

2 Leinster Teams vs 2 Munster Teams (1 Leinster & 1 Munster receive bye to Rd 2)

RD2 DRAW
    2 Bye Teams vs Rd 1 winners

2 fixtures drawn – subject to avoidance of repeat pairings where possible

ALL-IRELAND QUARTER-FINALS
    Bowl 1 – Beaten Provincial Finalists vs Rd 2 Winners

2 fixtures drawn – subject to avoidance of repeat pairings where possible

ALL-IRELAND SEMI-FINALS – Subject to beaten provincial finalists not meeting the Provincial Champions from their province; and also subject to avoidance of repeat pairings where possible

All-Ireland Final- Sun 13th Dec

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,799 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Leinster QF- Laois vs Dublin
    semi finals
    Galway vs Wexford
    Laois/Dublin vs Kilkenny

Munster QF- Limerick vs Clare
    Semi finals
    Cork vs Waterford
    Tipperary vs Limerick/Clare

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Going into conspiracy theory territory here but wouldn't rule out the draw been fixed for clare and Limerick to meet to sort out the league.

Going into conspiracy theory territory here but wouldn't rule out the draw been fixed for clare and Limerick to meet to sort out the league.

http://hoganstand.com/Article/Index/310983

Its going to be a league decider too

PTH2009 wrote: »
    http://hoganstand.com/Article/Index/310983

Its going to be a league decider too
    Thats what i mean

• Advertisement

kilkenny will be very strong i think

kilkenny will be very strong i think
    probably the most unpredictable championship given the year that's in it, I'm delighted its going ahead, great for the morale of the country, club action from what i seen hasn't suffered standard wise from no crowds so a behind closed doors scenario would obviously be not ideal but wouldn't be a disaster as such...

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭raindodger

what i have seen of the club games give kilkenny the cup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭New Era

raindodger wrote: »

I think that the hard graft of winter hurling give the cats a better chance of claiming Liam McCarthy come the middle of December. Their style of play is simply not suited to summer hurling. Direct hurling is a far more better tactic in the hard slog of saturated grounds, then playing a short game, going through the lines and all that.

However the one team that will be negatively impacted by a winter hurling championship is my own county, Clare. We always seem to get bullied by the more physically imposing teams and while we always had the skill and the quality hurlers, that is of no good if we can't man up. Waterford for example have given the Banner county plenty over the years and have more often than not come out on top. Hopefully Brian Lohan will offer something different to Clare and the signs in the early part of the year, pre lockdown were encouraging.

It is a very competitive championship that awaits us. To me with the exception of Laois, all other teams have enough in them to contend for provincial and All Ireland glory in this much truncated championship. As we get closer to the start of championship 2020 the anticipation and excitement only grows. It been a very difficult and long year, full of emotion and anxiety. But with the gaa returning brings hope and we can dare to dream again. Let the games begin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭crossman47

New Era wrote: »
    I think that the hard graft of winter hurling give the cats a better chance of claiming Liam McCarthy come the middle of December. Their style of play is simply not suited to summer hurling. Direct hurling is a far more better tactic in the hard slog of saturated grounds, then playing a short game, going through the lines and all that.

However the one team that will be negatively impacted by a winter hurling championship is my own county, Clare.

I think it won't suit Cork either. They had little chance anyway but winter conditions will tell against them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭crossman47

Perhaps but they may need refs like the one in Dicksboro game yesterday. He ignored most fouls. They use a different rule book there. It makes for enjoyable viewing but..?

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭lim4ev

There's no doubt the kk championship is top notch way above all else from what I see. Re the all Ireland hard to say I think it'll suit the bigger physical teams ie kk Tipp limerick mainly but anyone can win it limerick have their share of injuries though

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭raindodger

brian codys hardest job will be convincing everyone that they are underdogs

brian codys hardest job will be convincing everyone that they are underdogs
    the standard bearer of saying alot but saying nothing will be well able for it.

Think with the contensed nature of this year's championship has put a bit extra importance on earlier encounters as the going through the front has rarely been as beneficial, the round robin of 2018 and 19 showed the difficulty of playing 3 or 4 weekends in a row.

Think with the contensed nature of this year's championship has put a bit extra importance on earlier encounters as the going through the front has rarely been as beneficial, the round robin of 2018 and 19 showed the difficulty of playing 3 or 4 weekends in a row.

dont need to tell us that in Waterford

since the round robin format came in it has been a disaster for us and we just cant get used to it between the ghost goal in 2018 and us imploding in 2019

Hopefully for this year we can grasp at the chance and shine. Means very little but last knockout AI we got to the AI final and the 2 years previous got to AI semi finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭threeball

Should suit KK, Limerick and Galway as the most physical teams out there. Galway depends on whether they got their house in order since the league. The management have got a right good look at whats available to them by now anyway.
    Limerick and KK club hurling has been very good the few games I've seen. Thought the standard in wexford was terrible. Won by attrition more than anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 04581466

The condensed format has added extra value to winning a provincial final - provincial champions will now only be facing a 2 week wait for the All-Ireland semi final, and they will be meeting a team playing for a third or fourth weekend in a row. Many teams struggled when playing for the third successive weekend in the round robin in the last two years.

It will be a huge ask for one of the four teams drawn in round one of the qualifiers to make an All-Ireland final as they are faced with having to win on four successive weekends. The two teams who receive a bye into round two will need to win on three successive weekends.

Losing provincial finalists will have to win on the following two weekends.

Going the direct route has never been more rewarding. A two week wait in between the provincial semi final and final, and a two week wait to the AI semi final if victorious. Huge pressure on any team knocked out of the provinces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 04581466

[/B]
    dont need to tell us that in Waterford

since the round robin format came in it has been a disaster for us and we just cant get used to it between the ghost goal in 2018 and us imploding in 2019

Hopefully for this year we can grasp at the chance and shine. Means very little but last knockout AI we got to the AI final and the 2 years previous got to AI semi finals.

Waterford are my dark horses. 2019 was a write off, Fanning never struck me as a man who could build a harmonious environment that players would enjoy being a part of, I think he was out of his depth at this level. There is no way Waterford just lie down and take the hammerings they took from Tipp and Limerick if all is okay in the camp.

2018 was ridiculous, the amount of injuries at the one time was incredibly bad luck, and then there was an umpire who wanted his 15 minutes of fame, smugly smirking as he walked off the pitch. Had Waterford emerged with the victory they deserved; Tipp would have been knocked out that day and Waterford would have gone into the final round in a scenario whereby a victory would have sent them through in 3rd place at Cork's expense.

The last two years weren't a true reflection of where Waterford actually are and have actually aided Waterford to come in under the radar, there's a better panel in Waterford than in Wexford in my opinion whom many are picking as a decent outside shot at the title this year. With the right man in charge - fingers crossed Cahill is that man - Waterford will be back in the mix again for certain.

The qualifier format is a bit all over the place

The losers of 2 prov QFs Laois vs Dublin and Clare vs Limerick could actually be drawn as byes and straight into Round 2 of the qualifiers while the 4 provincial semi finalists battle it out in Round 1 (only a week after the prov semi finals)

All Ireland Qualifiers Round 1 (Weekend of 7/8 Nov)- 2x Munster teams vs 2x Leinster teams
    Contains the 6 teams that didn't make it too the Munster and Leinster finals. Teams divided into 3 Munster and 3 Leinster, A draw will be made to give 2 byes to Round 2 (1 team from each province AFAIK).

All Ireland Qualifiers Round 2 (weekend of 14th/15th Nov)- 2x winners of Round 1 vs 2x bye teams

All Ireland QFs (Weekend of 21st/22nd Nov)-2x Provincial Runners up vs 2x winners from Round 2

• Advertisement

Amusing the championship happens

The Leinster teams have a small advantage as all the Leinster championship games will be played in Croke Park

so here we are, the Liam Mccarthy Championship kicking off tonight in Croke Park with Dublin vs Laois in the Leinster QF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭tipp_tipp_tipp

Strangest build up to a championship alright but great to have a game to watch tonight. Hope Laois give a good account of themselves tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭tipp_tipp_tipp

So HT and Dublin looking very comfortable. Laois struggling to get any decent ball into the forwards and are living off scraps in midfield. Hard to see them rattling off a few scores in succession to get back into it. Impressed with Dublin's short passing. They've been very good at finding a free man.

Laois a bit of a flash in the pan, no doubt the team to get in the Qualifiers. Still a bit of time to go but Dublin look like they can up gears if needed. Kilkenny will be too good for them i think but crazier things have happened

Quite like the yellow sliotar, been interesting to see what its like in the daytime and not under lights

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

so here we are, the Liam Mccarthy Championship kicking off tonight in Croke Park with Dublin vs Laois in the Leinster QF

Pure shyte that this is being played in croke park

Really really poor quality hurling. The control and touch on both sides is all over the place. Not to mention lumping hit and hope ball forward. KK, Galway and Wexford would tear the pick of them a new one.

Not seeing the benefit to the TV viewer of the yellow sliothar either. Better when its on the grass alright but worse than the white when its in the air imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

threeball wrote: »
    Not seeing the benefit to the TV viewer of the yellow sliothar either. Better when its on the grass alright but worse than the white when its in the air imo.

Empty stadium doesn’t help, loads of shadows or something

• Advertisement

benji79 wrote: »
    Empty stadium doesn’t help, loads of shadows or something

They'll have to get one of those balls you see kids with, you give it a smack and all the multicoloured lights start flashing.

Advertisement