Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Senior Hurling Championship (Liam Mccarthy Cup) 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Apart from his belief that a quick puckout is the work of the devil taught Horgan was fine

Blows for every single little contact, he even blew once today when the ball was sailing over the bar, he will then pull someone for throwing the ball and ignore the next 10 such offences and the same with steps, no consistency.

I know Horgan for a long long time and he was an excellent referee when he started and was known for letting the game flow, but once he got on the county list he had gradually redressed year after year. Wouldn't even be in the top 4 refs in Tipp at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Horgan is a decent ref, loads of fouls but everyone of them are fouls.

I agree Horgan is a good referee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭tipp_tipp_tipp

Pogue eile wrote: »
    Blows for every single little contact, he even blew once today when the ball was sailing over the bar, he will then pull someone for throwing the ball and ignore the next 10 such offences and the same with steps, no consistency.

I know Horgan for a long long time and he was an excellent referee when he started and was known for letting the game flow, but once he got on the county list he had gradually redressed year after year. Wouldn't even be in the top 4 refs in Tipp at the minute.

Game last night night was reffed the same way. I assume he's towing the line in how the GAA want the games reffed.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,796 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Limerick very impressive but Clare gave it a good go and will rebuild for the qualifiers no doubt

The qualifiers draw is a little odd in which both/one of Clare and Laois could get a bye to round 2 and the losing provincial semi finals will face off on the 1st Round

Qualifiers structure

R1(6 teams) - 1x Munster ans 1x Leinster team get a bye. 2 Munster teams vs 2 Leinster teams

R2- 2x Round 1 winners vs 2x bye teams

QF- 2x Round 2 winners vs 2x losing provincial finalists

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Game last night night was reffed the same way. I assume he's towing the line in how the GAA want the games reffed.

Agreed, just think it is a shame, the reason Horgan came to prominence and so quickly became the number one ref in Tipp was his common sense approach to the game, assessors in the stands have a lot to answer for!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Horgan is a decent ref, loads of fouls but everyone of them are fouls.

Wouldn't be a critic of him normally but far too many frees blown today.

Amazing scoring considering all the stoppages really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭tipp_tipp_tipp

Pogue eile wrote: »
    Agreed, just think it is a shame, the reason Horgan came to prominence and so quickly became the number one ref in Tipp was his common sense approach to the game, assessors in the stands have a lot to answer for!

Yeah, both game this weekend were hard to watch. Hopefully it loosens up as the championship progresses. Can't blame him for towing the line though, if you want the big matches you've got to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,664 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Yeah, both game this weekend were hard to watch. Hopefully it loosens up as the championship progresses. Can't blame him for towing the line though, if you want the big matches you've got to do it.

Think the first few games will be like that as they'll have been told to be stricter etc, usually the league is more like than then it all goes out the window for championship.

Having said that lots of bad tackling in the match probably down to a lack of match practice but lots of high tackles, spare hand tackles etc.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Too easy for Limerick in the end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

Just checking, are any of the posters that said Horgan is a good ref not from Tipp ?

• Advertisement

Just checking, are any of the posters that said Horgan is a good ref not from Tipp ?

I don't think he's bad, and he's not popular in Waterford. He's better than several of his colleagues

But today was not his best day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Limerick very impressive but Clare gave it a good go and will rebuild for the qualifiers no doubt

The qualifiers draw is a little odd in which both/one of Clare and Laois could get a bye to round 2 and the losing provincial semi finals will face off on the 1st Round

Qualifiers structure

R1(6 teams) - 1x Munster ans 1x Leinster team get a bye. 2 Munster teams vs 2 Leinster teams

I think with the year that's in it and the limited time the championship should be straight knockout like the football. The limerick v clare game should have just been the league final and play the championship game later. The game yesterday will stand to Limerick for next week's game with Tipp, wouldn't be surprised if we see those two in the final later in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

I’m from Cork, think he’s an excellent ref

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭terryrogers

PTH2009 wrote: »

Qualifiers structure

According to Wikipedia Clare and Laois will have to play round 1 of the qualifiers and 2 of the 4 provincial semi final losers will be drawn to play them. 1 Leinster and 1 Munster team will get a bye to round 2, awaiting the winners of round 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,399 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Girly Gal wrote: »
    I think with the year that's in it and the limited time the championship should be straight knockout like the football. The limerick v clare game should have just been the league final and play the championship game later. The game yesterday will stand to Limerick for next week's game with Tipp, wouldn't be surprised if we see those two in the final later in the year.

You can't compare the 2 championships. The hurling on has 10 teams and about 8 think they can win so a backdoor is very different to football where you are dragging about 20 teams worth of cannon fodder around the country for meaningless qualifiers

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭conor05

breezy1985 wrote: »
    You can't compare the 2 championships. The hurling on has 10 teams and about 8 think they can win so a backdoor is very different to football where you are dragging about 20 teams worth of cannon fodder around the country for meaningless qualifiers

In my eyes only Kerry or Dublin can win Sam Maguire.

Mayo, Tyrone, Donegal and Cork a decent supporting cast with the other 26 counties only making up the numbers.
    And some of the lower level teams are barely fit to be in the qualifiers.

The hurling will be very competitive this year with Tipp, Limerick, Wexford, Kilkenny, Cork, Galway all fancying their chances of winning the Liam McCarthy

conor05 wrote: »
    In my eyes only Kerry or Dublin can win Sam Maguire.

Mayo, Tyrone, Donegal and Cork a decent supporting cast with the other 26 counties only making up the numbers.
    And some of the lower level teams are barely fit to be in the qualifiers.

The hurling will be very competitive this year with Tipp, Limerick, Wexford, Kilkenny, Cork, Galway all fancying their chances of winning the Liam McCarthy

Limerick and Tipp are head and shoulders above the rest, Wexford, Kilkenny and Cork will be competitive but don't have enough quality to beat Limerick and Tipp if those two get close to top form, Galway are in a mess and l don't see them challenging this year.

Girly Gal wrote: »
    Limerick and Tipp are head and shoulders above the rest, Wexford, Kilkenny and Cork will be competitive but don't have enough quality to beat Limerick and Tipp if those two get close to top form, Galway are in a mess and l don't see them challenging this year.

I've seen the same sort of stuff written in 2013, about Kilkenny in 2016, Tipp in 2017, Galway in 2018, Limerick in 2019.

This year of all years interrupted prep, differing weather conditions and indeed another curve ball in the form of 14 days isolation could have a major bearing on the championship. I would not be calling it a two horse race by any stretch of the imagination.

I've seen the same sort of stuff written in 2013, about Kilkenny in 2016, Tipp in 2017, Galway in 2018, Limerick in 2019.

This year of all years interrupted prep, differing weather conditions and indeed another curve ball in the form of 14 days isolation could have a major bearing on the championship. I would not be calling it a two horse race by any stretch of the imagination.

One of the 2 will probably slip up but catching both on off days will be tough so good chance one will win the AI. It almost happened that both lost last year though so I agree the margin is too tight to say it's a two horse race

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

If anything it will suit the counties with strength in depth which are Limk Tipp and Kilkenny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Don't know how wexford are shaping up but on basis of last years all ireland i definitely wouldn't say they are a million miles off the top.

Vinnie222 wrote: »
    If anything it will suit the counties with strength in depth which are Limk Tipp and Kilkenny

Do KK have strength in depth these days. I think they are barely top 5 in the first team so don't know how good the rest of the panel are

Every year people say 5 or 6 teams can win it, when realistically only 2 or 3 ever have a serious chance in any year. Kilkenny and Tipp have dominated the last 2 decades. 2013 has been proven to be an outlier year and a year like that won't happen again for years. Galway were well due a win in 2017 having been next best to Kilkenny and Tipp for most of the previous decade and were exhausted by the time 2018 final came along where Limerick played extremely well and should have won by more, complacency caught limerick out last year against Kilkenny.
    Outside of Kilkenny I can't see anyone seriously challenging Tipp and Limerick. Wexford, Cork and Waterford are limited and I don't see Galway challenging this year at all. The only thing that could upset this is if there is a covid outbreak within a squad, but, if that happens it would seriously undermine the whole championship.

2013 was not the outlier you think it was.

Since that year inclusive there has been 7 championships, Clare, Galway and Limerick winning one each. They were winning their first all irelands in 16 yrs, 29 yrs and 45 yrs respectively.

Cork were a puck of a ball from beating Clare in 2013 and Limerick in 2018. Clare themselves almost made the final in 2018, they were the only team to beat Limerick on the field of play that year. Waterford were a puck of a ball from an AI in 2017.

There's miles on the clock in Tipp and some immense players, some of the best I've seen, won't be around much longer. Kilkenny are rebuilding, no AI in the last 4 championship for the 1st time since 2000. They'll be back competing alright and win one before long but the days of Shefflin et al dominance is over.

So you're right on one thing, 6 teams cannot win an all ireland in a given year. Only one team can. But there's 7 teams this year who can have a big say in where the cup rests when all is said and done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭C__MC

Limerick are going to be hard to stop
    They would be going for 3 in a row only for a bad 15 minutes last year
    I cant see tipp beating them, limerick gave tipp a huge beating last year

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Since that year inclusive there has been 7 championships, Clare, Galway and Limerick winning one each. They were winning their first all irelands in 16 yrs, 29 yrs and 45 yrs respectively.

Cork were a puck of a ball from beating Clare in 2013 and Limerick in 2018. Clare themselves almost made the final in 2018, they were the only team to beat Limerick on the field of play that year. Waterford were a puck of a ball from an AI in 2017.

There's miles on the clock in Tipp and some immense players, some of the best I've seen, won't be around much longer. Kilkenny are rebuilding, no AI in the last 4 championship for the 1st time since 2000. They'll be back competing alright and win one before long but the days of Shefflin et al dominance is over.

So you're right on one thing, 6 teams cannot win an all ireland in a given year. Only one team can. But there's 7 teams this year who can have a big say in where the cup rests when all is said and done.

Good post and agree with most of it. The tipp miles on the clock thing is another thing I've been hearing and reading for years though. Still not really that convinced by it, especially if you look how they finished against a supposedly younger and fitter wexford team last year and with a man down to boot.

C__MC wrote: »
    Limerick are going to be hard to stop
    They would be going for 3 in a row only for a bad 15 minutes last year
    I cant see tipp beating them, limerick gave tipp a huge beating last year

Don't worry we have a history of stopping ourselves in Limerick

There aren't 7 teams who have a serious chance of winning the all Ireland, 3 at a push, the rest are much of a muchness and might on their day cause a shock, but, won't be able to do it over 2/3 games.
    The semi finalists from 2013 didn't really do much in the all Ireland championship in the following 2 or 3 seasons, the Limerick team of 2018 was completely different to the 2013 team.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭C__MC

Don't worry we have a history of stopping ourselves in Limerick

I dont know kiely is building something there
    Cork potentially the only team to hurt ye and I dont know why because ye are a better team but they always seem to put it up to this limerick team

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Do KK have strength in depth these days. I think they are barely top 5 in the first team so don't know how good the rest of the panel are
    Kilkenny are definitely overrated, yes there a top 5 or 6 team at the same level as the likes of wexford or galway but talk in some sections of the media of them definitely being a top 3 team, having possibly the best panel in the country are off the mark in my view, seen people suggesting a competitive showing would be a decent effort for Dublin next Saturday which is crazy stuff to me.

Advertisement