Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Senior Hurling Championship (Liam Mccarthy Cup) 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

PTH2009 wrote:
    Laois a bit of a flash in the pan, no doubt the team to get in the Qualifiers. Still a bit of time to go but Dublin look like they can up gears if needed. Kilkenny will be too good for them i think but crazier things have happened

Kilkenny will give Dublin a hammering.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Davys Fits

I would have no issue with the yellow ball. But the quality of the sky picture was poor. What were Laois playing at leaving players unmarked all over the Centre of the field then swarming the player when they gained possession?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭threeball

Davys Fits wrote: »
    I would have no issue with the yellow ball. But the quality of the sky picture was poor. What were Laois playing at leaving players unmarked all over the Centre of the field then swarming the player when they gained possession?

Aimless long ball stuff as well. The fact that they could play like that and miss that many frees and still were in the game with 10 mins to go shows how poor Dublin were. No Dublin player will be hitting 1-16 against KK thats for sure. A nice warm up for the final while galway and wexford knock the sh1t out of one another.

TBF I thought Dublin looked impressive at times and look to be slowly building a team. They have shook off a few players that were simply not up to top flight hurling standard. KK will have too much for them though I expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

TBF I thought Dublin looked impressive at times and look to be slowly building a team. They have shook off a few players that were simply not up to top flight hurling standard. KK will have too much for them though I expect.

Yeah bit of a new look team. Previously the team was built around the lads who came off the bench (Rushe, Barrett, Schutte, Dillon).

Dublin will be competeitive, they usually are against all in Leinster. The enduring problem for them is being in front at the final whistle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭threeball

You have to take into account how poor Laois were. I wouldnt look at the scores etc. I prefer to focus on first touch, accuracy, cohesion. Things you wont put right in a week and in all areas they were like a middling club team. Rushe can't have gone back so much that he's not on the first 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,799 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

You have to wonder will Eddie call it quits with Laois at the end of the season

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Wouldn't write off Dublin against Kilkenny next week, yes they'll be underdogs but none of Wexford, Kilkenny or Galway have blown them away in a round robin game in 2018 or 19, Eoghan O'Donnell at full back well capable of curtailing Fennellys catch take 15 steps while barging routine, would worry about the lack of a marquee forward crummey is far more comfortable in the backs in my view, Burke was very good tonight but marking possibly joey holden is a different story.

threeball wrote: »
    You have to take into account how poor Laois were. I wouldnt look at the scores etc. I prefer to focus on first touch, accuracy, cohesion. Things you wont put right in a week and in all areas they were like a middling club team. Rushe can't have gone back so much that he's not on the first 15.

Yes Laois were poor but Ive seen Dublin in recent years to play terrible against poor teams, that was not the case in this match but they did let Loais back into the game by fouling and some poor shooting in the third quarter. Agreed on thing Dublin will need to improve on is speed of their hurling and first touch is part of that. KK will give them little time as we know. 7 days will tell a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Will Gregory Kennedy be brought in to make an un sporting intervention like he did in Nowlan park 2019, liam Rushe catching trying to walk a ball into the back of the net.

• Advertisement

Fred Daly wrote: »
    Will Gregory Kennedy be brought in to make an un sporting intervention like he did in Nowlan park 2019, liam Rushe catching trying to walk a ball into the back of the net.
    would have to agree with ya on the rushe observation he's fond of grapping a face guard too but the Fennelly point is also very much valid.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

would have to agree with ya on the rushe observation he's fond of grapping a face guard too but the Fennelly point is also very much valid.

In Fennellys defense he often brings the hurl up and gives quick tap which technically is a touch breaking up the steps.. his hurling in general has improve considerably since Henry took over Ballyhale .apparently he focused on skills work and improved his touch.. Rushe is much more of a one trick pony in my opinion.. to be fair most good inter county forwards cant count steps.. if you're unlikely to be pulled up on it why behave I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 17,664 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Hard to see anything other than a convincing limerick win.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Hawkeye9212

PTH2009 wrote: »
    You have to wonder will Eddie call it quits with Laois at the end of the season

I think he's taken them as far as he can. Laois don't have the depth and structures necessary to compete against LM teams. Same for Westmeath and Carlow. Antrim could kick on. The Belfast clubs have the population and the Gaelfast project has been successful so far.

Players look sluggish enough and there's alot of bad tackling going on, high tackles and spare hand tackles. Tony Kelly on fire, apart from that limerick look the much better team.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭tipp_tipp_tipp

Very weird watching a munster match with no crowd. Awful lot of fouls, frustrating viewing. Match last night was the same. Becoming a major problem in the game imo. At least it's close. Great score at the end there to level it. Clare better than expected (or maybe limerick just haven't hit top gear yet).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Very weird watching a munster match with no crowd. Awful lot of fouls, frustrating viewing. Match last night was the same. Becoming a major problem in the game imo. At least it's close. Great score at the end there to level it. Clare better than expected (or maybe limerick just haven't hit top gear yet).

Until they bring in harsher penalties for teams constantly fouling, teams are going to keep doing it.

This article from the examiner below is failing damming in terms of showing that fouling pays in hurling.
    in 85% of the games that produced a winner (22 from 26), the team which prevailed conceded more frees.

There's a wealth of data at the blog post about the whole hurling championship.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-40069547.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭tipp_tipp_tipp

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    Until they bring in harsher penalties for teams constantly fouling, teams are going to keep doing it.

This article from the examiner below is failing damming in terms of showing that fouling pays in hurling.

There's a wealth of data at the blog post about the whole hurling championship.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-40069547.html

Interesting. Thanks for that link.

I note there hasn't been a single goal chance in this game. Any time a forward gets possession in a decent area he's fouled.

Edit: As soon as i posted that clare get a goal :)

What's the point of the water break?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

To have a drink obviously

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

No water carrier going in during game as in pre covid times sharing between 3or 4 people often from both teams

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Think about that one for a second :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

It allows the bollocks of a ref to bust up the play when your team are on top. :D

No water carrier going in during game as in pre covid times sharing between 3or 4 people often from both teams

You'd think they'd have a better solution breaks the flow of the game.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

You'd think they'd have a better solution breaks the flow of the game.

Fergal Horgan has that all well in control, terrible terrible ref who thinks its all about him

Pogue eile wrote: »
    Fergal Horgan has that all well in control, terrible terrible ref who thinks its all about him

Horgan is a decent ref, loads of fouls but everyone of them are fouls.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Horgan is a decent ref, loads of fouls but everyone of them are fouls.

He is a joke of a ref, got an AI Final and thought he was the dogs boll*x. A good ref would even be noticed but that wouldn't be Horgan's style

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

Horgan has been good. Spotted some sneaky little chops and flicks on hands, very tunned in reffing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Interesting. Thanks for that link.

I note there hasn't been a single goal chance in this game. Any time a forward gets possession in a decent area he's fouled.

Edit: As soon as i posted that clare get a goal :)

Twas a massive own-goal (excuse the pun) that the black card was defeated.

Would improve the game immensely in terms of goal-scoring chances.

The amount of potential goal chances that were stopped in their tracks by backs fouling forwards any time there was the possibility of a goal in last year's championship was criminal.

I'd bet that a serious chunk of the goals that do come in the championship are going to be like the Clare goal today where there was no-one near the scorer to foul them or situations where the backs don't manage to foul successfully or where a foul happens and advantage is played.

• Advertisement

Apart from his belief that a quick puckout is the work of the devil taught Horgan was fine

Advertisement