Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVII- 62,002 ROI (1,915 deaths) 39,609 NI (724 deaths) (02/11) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭manniot2

Roger_007 wrote: »
    I wonder how many are actually sick?

52 probably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

52,000 cases in France today. Jaysus.

NI matched that per capita weeks ago ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

The UK government is looking at reducing the quarantine duration for close contacts of a positive case, to between 7 and 10 days, as a study suggests only 11% of close contacts are complying fully with the current 14 day requirement.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-54678809

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

No, he has taken on a new role and now he advises us all directly.

Covid is the new Religion, bit like the Catholic Church and we must all obey

Tony = Pope
    Government = Bishops
    Guards = Priests

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

coastwatch wrote: »
    The UK government is looking at reducing the quarantine duration for close contacts of a positive case, to between 7 and 10 days, as a study suggests only 11% of close contacts are complying fully with the current 14 day requirement.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-54678809

if driven by science and a risk based approach It makes sense

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Spiderman0081

Antares35 wrote: »
    Yeah it's insane the number of people who just don't give a fúck about the 2metre thing anymore. We notice that in the local park. There was a time if people were approaching, everyone would kind of go single file ish and move to one side or the other of the path. Nobody cares now it seems.
    They would be better a social distancing if there we no masks.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,431 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

In parks?
    Not many ppl wearing them there.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

As soon as the masks came in, people were on top of each other in the shops/queues again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

Nothing to do with anything anyone is talking about!, but I posted earlier giving out about being listed for different test centres and on reflection I just realised how I said nothing positive... If this was March / April we wouldn’t have been tested at all. I’ve been in three test centres now and they are incredibly efficient. I have two small kids and the staff have been just really lovely and kind each time. Credit where it’s due, they are doing a great job

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Field east

We are a nation of sensitive petals /snowflakes and to be very gently handled by gov and it’s agencies. I was shocked by the immediate outburst from all sides - and led by the opposition when the HSE had a plan to ask Covid 19 positives to contact people that were in close contact with.
    Firstly, I understand that not all people who contact Covid get very sick and even if they do it may not be the case for the first few days of the virus, so I would expect that a significant number of those infected could make a good stab at contacting a lot/ all of their close contacts.

Secondly, a high number of those infected would have , husbands, wives, mothers , fathers, uncles , aunts, grandmothers , etc, etc , that could do the contact tracing on behalf of the person infected.

So why was it not the case that the contact tracing could have been done with some basic cooperation between the infected person and the HSE. The contact tracing under the above suggestion could be carried out much, much quicker.
    The HSE would establish with each infected person at the outset the list of close contacts and agree a strategy on who will contact who. The infected persons would be much quicker in contacting contacts also because they would find their tel no’s quicker and , know the best time to contact them.

The HSE contact team , re the above strategy, would need to follow up on the infected person/‘next of kin’ re how the tracing is progressing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Covid is the new Religion, bit like the Catholic Church and we must all obey

Tony = Pope
    Government = Bishops
    Guards = Priests

Amen to that

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Spiderman0081

Field east wrote: »
    We are a nation of sensitive petals /snowflakes and to be very gently handled by gov and it’s agencies. I was shocked by the immediate outburst from all sides - and led by the opposition when the HSE had a plan to ask Covid 19 positives to contact people that were in close contact with.
    Firstly, I understand that not all people who contact Covid get very sick and even if they do it may not be the case for the first few days of the virus, so I would expect that a significant number of those infected could make a good stab at contacting a lot/ all of their close contacts.

Secondly, a high number of those infected would have , husbands, wives, mothers , fathers, uncles , aunts, grandmothers , etc, etc , that could do the contact tracing on behalf of the person infected.

So why was it not the case that the contact tracing could have been done with some basic cooperation between the infected person and the HSE. The contact tracing under the above suggestion could be carried out much, much quicker.
    The HSE would establish with each infected person at the outset the list of close contacts and agree a strategy on who will contact who. The infected persons would be much quicker in contacting contacts also because they would find their tel no’s quicker and , know the best time to contact them.

The HSE contact team , re the above strategy, would need to follow up on the infected person/‘next of kin’ re how the tracing is progressing
    Cooperation went out the window when people weren’t allowed 2km from their home. That was not the HSE’s fault per say, but if NPHET and the government are bright enough to know what an entire country should and should not be doing, the vast majority of the population will expect that same government to figure contact tracing out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,522 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I was walking down the street today and some elderly woman with a mask almost jumped into a bush when i walked past, almost on the road.

The fear of god being peddled by the media will have us ruined for years.

Or perhaps she's a regular here, has read your attitude to the restrictions, and considered a defensive move was prudent.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,729 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Between 1500 and 2600 will need hospitalization depending on the profile of infection.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

1,298 admitted to hospital today in France and 116 hospital deaths.

There is an Irish doctor on Twitter with a good thread on the farcical PCR tests. He ends it by saying Leo knows it’s a farce but it’s political poison to go against Tony again. On the money there.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Qiaonasen

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/society/article/3107016/coronavirus-chinas-kashgar-test-all-700000-residents-after

New outbreak now in China. Safe to say there is significant community spread there given that borders are closed. Last week Qingdao. This week Xinjiang. Presumably all over the place again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

More info on German setup....
    Seems fairly straightforward. Treated as actual bodily harm. State recognises that what is good for the many must sometimes come before the individual.

530614.png

530615.png

https://se-legal.de/breaking-quarantine-criminal-offence-in-germany-covid-19-coronavirus/?lang=en

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

manniot2 wrote: »
    There is an Irish doctor on Twitter with a good thread on the farcical PCR tests. He ends it by saying Leo knows it’s a farce but it’s political poison to go against Tony again. On the money there.

The bigger question is why did St.Tony return to the job so cranky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

More info on German setup....
    Seems fairly straightforward. Treated as actual bodily harm. State recognises that what is good for the many must sometimes come before the individual.

530614.png

530615.png

https://se-legal.de/breaking-quarantine-criminal-offence-in-germany-covid-19-coronavirus/?lang=en

Proper order. There was isolation breakers here in the news/media and there were given a free pass to do as they please and want infecting others, increasing infection rates and thus the government collapsing businesses to control further spread of the virus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

440Hertz wrote: »
    Not sure if this has already been posted further back up the thread, but from the Irish Examiner. Seems to underline the urgent need for airport screening.

"A report into the outbreak states the laboratory-confirmed cases were linked to an international flight into Ireland in summer 2020.

That 7.5 hour-long flight, in which 49 of its 283 seats were filled, is believed to have landed at Dublin Airport in June.

The HSE was unable to contact 11 of the 49 passengers on board, and one of the passengers refused to be tested for Covid-19."

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40070591.html

'and one of the passengers refused to be tested for Covid-19.' Prick, should have been stopped at border control on way back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

manniot2 wrote: »

Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/covid-19-public-urged-to-stay-at-home-as-1-025-further-cases-confirmed-in-state-1.4390739?mode=amp
    Tánaiste Leo Varadkar told RTÉ’s This Week that while it is “early days”, the Level 3 restrictions put in place in early October “are starting to have an effect”.

“You know we’re seeing the number of cases level off and the positivity rate fall. It is early days yet though, and we’ve yet to see what the effect of the Level 5 measures is, we won’t really know that until really November sometime.”

Mr Varadkar said the Government is “increasingly optimistic” that it will be possible to start vaccinating those most at risk from Covid-19 “in the first half if not first quarter of next year”.

He said he is confident that Ireland can move to “Level 3 and a bit” in December. “But at the same time, we need to not be complacent.”

Level 3 and a bit in December according to Leo

I'm not sure even 50% of the population would comply. There would have to be huge enforcement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

Link says she doesn’t exist.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭bb1234567

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/oct/25/covid-world-map-countries-most-coronavirus-cases-deaths

Ireland is now one of the only countries in Europe where cases dropped in the last week, Netherlands is the only other country in Western Europe that saw a drop in cases. I know our early precautions were criticised because the situation didn't warrant their use but maybe we actually took a proactive and beneficial stance this time that most other countries did not foresee, the best time to implement new measures for covid is before it the measures are actually 'necessary' but I don't think many people are ever going to realise or accept that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Needs to be level three minus a bit especially in relation to travel

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

owlbethere wrote: »
    Proper order. There was isolation breakers here in the news/media and there were given a free pass to do as they please and want infecting others, increasing infection rates and thus the government collapsing businesses to control further spread of the virus.

Hard to do it here when you have clowns in the Dail saying that fines are too harsh for breaking the 5k limit. Rules without enforcement and people without responsibility for their own actions...

I don't blame the government either. It's people like PBP and wasn't there a member of FF or FG who was also against them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭mcburns07

bb1234567 wrote: »
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/oct/25/covid-world-map-countries-most-coronavirus-cases-deaths

Ireland is now one of the only countries in Europe where cases dropped in the last week, Netherlands is the only other country in Western Europe that saw a drop in cases. I know our early precautions were criticised because the situation didn't warrant their use but maybe we actually took a proactive and beneficial stance this time that most other countries did not foresee

We're a great bunch of lads aren't we!

The actual reality of the situation is other countries don't want to impose the level of restrictions we have for various reasons (for now).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Needs to be level three minus a bit especially in relation to travel

What of people coming home for Christmas? Imagine a mass influx from the UK now?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement