Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-19; Impact on the aviation industry

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Tenger wrote: »
    Which is why the crew have a handful onboard to hand out to those who didn’t get them or lost them. My missus has a stack of about 25-30 in her bag.

I can see what is getting lost in translation then, crew aren't required to distribute them. They are expected to limit any interaction in the cabin i.e. no service on Europe's.

If you don't have a form from check-in (either online or not given) and the crew aren't proceeding through with them with pax not listening to PA's (which isn't unusual) people aren't going to have forms, you are reminded to present the form to authorities at multiple times it’s a stipulation of a current NOTAM.

Anyone travelling recently will then recognise the standing and filling out of forms on the Pier 4 arrivals level prior to passport control when the information posters make it clear they are expected to have one.

It seems it will be digitised this week regardless after months of hearing about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Belgium requires you to do it online up to 48 hours in advance of your travel and provide you with a qr code for verification by the transport operator or border check.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Given we are all told to check in online to avoid human interactions no one gets the form there

Long standing practice is for cabin crew to hand out customs/landing forms onboard, thats my experience flying to far flung places

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

The form is to be completed online from Wednesday. I wonder how they'll check it's been filled in on arrival 🀔

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭trellheim

GNIB dont check documents at Dublin anymore in the normal run.

Note : that form requires a mobile number and an email address to complete (mandatory).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,634 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

The form is to be completed online from Wednesday. I wonder how they'll check it's been filled in on arrival ��

Form is online now:

https://cvd19plf-prod1.powerappsportals.com/en-US/passenger/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭bikeman1

How come EI are not offering any service on the Euros but Ryanair have returned to full service including alcoholic drinks only?

If done right the risk should be minimal. Only a few opt for it anyway, but it’s nice to have a cuppa on the flight while reading or a beer / wine with the other half. It seems over the top.

bikeman1 wrote: »
    How come EI are not offering any service on the Euros but Ryanair have returned to full service including alcoholic drinks only?

If done right the risk should be minimal. Only a few opt for it anyway, but it’s nice to have a cuppa on the flight while reading or a beer / wine with the other half. It seems over the top.

Aer Lingus, Icelandair (slight tweak with minimal items left on seat) and SAS plus many more aren't offering any on-board service.

easyJet just re-introduced after a prolonged suspension, EI may review it going forward, but I don't believe the policy to protect their employees in its initiation was over the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭AnRothar

I've read a lot of posts from people with the binary view that "The severe policy and restrictions on air travel saves lives, therefore it is correct".
    and
    The industry is being decimated here, more severely than almost anywhere else.
    Many posters in the aviation section of boards work in aviation, many more are interested in aviation, so have a worldview that will see anything that may be accelerate the resumption of a normal service as been a good thing.
    That is their "binary" view point.

It is not correct, because it is not the only option.
    There are many options in a given scenario.

From the WHO
    Mortality for COVID-19 appears higher than for influenza, especially seasonal influenza. While the true mortality of COVID-19 will take some time to fully understand, the data we have so far indicate that the crude mortality ratio (the number of reported deaths divided by the reported cases) is between 3-4%,
    Rough calculation

Ireland has a population of approximately 5 million (per Wikipedia)
    So in a worse case scenario 4% of 5 million is 200,000 people may die (note important word may).

Again the WHO
    overnments, international agencies and health systems have an obligation to ensure, to the best of their ability, adequate provision of health care for all. However, this may not be possible during a pandemic, when health resources are likely to be limited. Setting priorities and rationing resources in this context means making tragic choices, but these tragic choices can be ethically justified.
    In the current climate the Government (based on the advice of its Experts) has made a decision to "ration resources".
    It has decided to "sacrifice" elements of the Economy.
    There are thousands of lives negatively affected by current policy, thousands of people facing huge uncertainty and bleak futures.
    Agreed.

The industry is being decimated here, more severely than almost anywhere else.
    Aviation is not alone here, Industries are been decimated, Tourism and many small retail operations are been adversely affected.

I'd just like anybody who's coming to this forum arguing that the restrictions are unpalatable but necessary to think; it's been 6 months. Why have the initial knee jerk policies not been replaced with something remotely sustainable?
    Rapid testing is available.
    There are better options,
    The "nationalization" of the private hospitals during May/June/July and the allocation of resources to combating the virus has has had a knock on effect on patients with other ailments.

Often its quite simply a matter of resources.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

bikeman1 wrote: »

Did Ryanair suspend inflight service? My recall was that they were quick to highlight the pre-packed element of their stock.

Maybe with Ryanair overall generating more cash from ancillary revenues hey were loath to stop it?
    Could it be an issue with the suppliers for EI?

I saw a flight report from Sam Chui yesterday on his J class trip with Lufthansa. Each pax got a large goodie box on their seat as they boarded. This was the service for the flight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Tenger wrote: »
    Did Ryanair suspend inflight service? My recall was that they were quick to highlight the pre-packed element of their stock.

Maybe with Ryanair overall generating more cash from ancillary revenues hey were loath to stop it?
    Could it be an issue with the suppliers for EI?

I saw a flight report from Sam Chui yesterday on his J class trip with Lufthansa. Each pax got a large goodie box on their seat as they boarded. This was the service for the flight.

Yes I think it was suspended during the period they were operating literally a handful of flights.

It then came back with prepacked items but no tea / coffee / hot food. Then from 1 August back to full service.

We’ve all been eating takeaways for months, grabbing a coffee or having a beer. On board service is the same. They announce that masks must be put on immediately after eating or drinking.

I presume we haven’t seen any crews becoming infected through their work yet? Given that EI crews are operating and staying in the US and serving the cabin on those flights as low as the numbers may be.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Qantas is axing more staff, selling PJs to its business class passengers and has even made its head of international operations redundant as it does not see itself flying outside Australia until mid 2021 at the earliest...

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/qantas-cuts-more-jobs-and-starts-selling-pyjamas-1.4338610?mode=amp

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

American Airlines cuts 19,000 jobs

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-53910936

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Locker10a wrote: »
    American Airlines cuts 19,000 jobs

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-53910936

Just to add info from that article;
    United estimate 36,000 job losses.
    Lufthansa estimate 22,000.

(Wiki gives their workforce are 96K & 138K respectively, AA is 133K)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,085 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

The date for these furloughs is based on the expiry of the Federal CARE package, a lot of people are calling for a second trench of public money to be thrown at the airlines as CARE2. Unfortunately these same airlines are saying that they don't expect loads to return before 2022-23, so is it worthwhile having CARE2 or is it just pushing the problem down the road?

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Dublinflyer

I would say they will get some more funding to avoid the furloughs happening before the US election, once the election is over with you might see a change in that approach very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

AA have already started cutting jobs, 2 flight attendants I know have gotten the email this week that they will not be required after the end of September.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Air New Zealand drawing down a loan from the NZ government as soon as it's possible after reporting its first full year liss in 18 years.

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN25M2S0?taid=5f47647f6f609f0001002abb&utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A%20Trending%20Content&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Carmel McG

Just wondering if anyone can give an insight into the following problem with Ryanair. I had flights booked for May, paid 482 by credit card and 200 with a voucher. I received an email last week offering me a voucher for 482 eur which I don't want. When I try to submit for a cash refund it states my email is incorrect (it's not), if I leave things as it is will I eventually get a refund

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭Acosta

Possibly influenced by the current quarantine rules, Aer Lingus regional have pulled routes out of Cork and are now operating out of Belfast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Yeah... the promised restart of Manchester/Bristol/Birmingham etc hasn't happened out of Cork.

They'll be back sometime I'm sure.

Acosta wrote: »
    Possibly influenced by the current quarantine rules, Aer Lingus regional have pulled routes out of Cork and are now operating out of Belfast.

They haven't pulled anything the vast majority of Ireland routes are suspended due to floored demand.

Aer Lingus Regional have launched Belfast services which were being planned back in March post the collapse of Flybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭gral6

When these idiots are gonna come up with updated list of green countries? It is not even funny anymore, total failure and shambles.

Jack1985 wrote: »
    They haven't pulled anything the vast majority of Ireland routes are suspended due to floored demand.

Aer Lingus Regional have launched Belfast services which were being planned back in March post the collapse of Flybe.
    What is so dramatically different about flights from one city on the island or Ireland to another other than being under than being subject to different travel rules imposed by the respective governments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Jacovs

https://amp.independent.ie/business/irish/aer-lingus-slashes-terms-of-voluntary-severance-package-39486781.html

What were previous offers if this is deemed to be a significant reduction? I would think 5 weeks per year is generous.
    Other companies in airport only offering statutory 2 weeks per year service.

What is so dramatically different about flights from one city on the island or Ireland to another other than being under than being subject to different travel rules imposed by the respective governments.

Travel is not being discouraged in the UK and mainland Europe or being put at a financial disadvantage with schemes to get people to do the opposite. Business is being encouraged to get employees back in offices etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Kcormahs

Jacovs wrote: »
    https://amp.independent.ie/business/irish/aer-lingus-slashes-terms-of-voluntary-severance-package-39486781.html

What were previous offers if this is deemed to be a significant reduction? I would think 5 weeks per year is generous.
    Other companies in airport only offering statutory 2 weeks per year service.

Last package in 2015 is detailed here:
    https://www.thejournal.ie/aer-lingus-voluntary-redundancies-1917353-Feb2015/

6 weeks,
    and top ups if you were in the company over 10 years and 25 years
    also the cap was on 156 weeks, not 104 weeks

I don't read that article saying the package is poor itself but compared to what it used to be similar to, it's just a very much downgraded one. Aer Lingus packages were always in line with DAA. DAA staff are getting several options apart from a much higher package, including career breaks etc, which Aer Lingus aren't offering to any staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Kcormahs wrote: »
    Last package in 2015 is detailed here:
    https://www.thejournal.ie/aer-lingus-voluntary-redundancies-1917353-Feb2015/

6 weeks,
    and top ups if you were in the company over 10 years and 25 years
    also the cap was on 156 weeks, not 104 weeks

I don't read that article saying the package is poor itself but compared to what it used to be similar to, it's just a very much downgraded one. Aer Lingus packages were always in line with DAA. DAA staff are getting several options apart from a much higher package, including career breaks etc, which Aer Lingus aren't offering to any staff.

DAA is a semi state and EI is privately owned by IAG. Different parameters at play.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Kcormahs

sparrowcar wrote: »
    DAA is a semi state and EI is privately owned by IAG. Different parameters at play.

I was simply answering his question. Not arguing if DAA is semi state or not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Kcormahs wrote: »
    I was simply answering his question. Not arguing if DAA is semi state or not

I wasn't suggesting you were arguing.
    Just pointing out that the 2015 deal was when the Irish state still had some influence.

Advertisement