Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XVII-24,841 in ROI (1,639 deaths) 4,679 in NI (518 deaths)(28/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

They won't be able to make it law, as it contravenes the freedom of movement an EU law. Even Harris knows this.

Im not so sure anything is off the table. Look at countries closing borders as things got bad, it became everybody for themselves. If there is a second wave they will have to look at longer term solutions. A country being able to shut its borders is surely one.

If Europe had closed itself to Italy in feb, would things if been as bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

NDWC wrote: »
    Headline on rte: "South Korea fears second wave as new cases spike"

To clarify, that's a massive 79 new cases in a country of 50 MILLION PEOPLE.

Fearmongering like that from our national broadcaster is truly shameful. No wonder so many people are scared stiff.

Really don't see your point. At all. Due to these cases South Korea is pulling the shutters down again in certain areas. RTE are reporting that. Have you ever heard of exponential growth? Places like South Korea (and the health professionals in Ireland and everywhere else) are fearful of getting back in a situation as in March where those 79 cases snowball into something much bigger and the following deaths. I find your 50 million population>79 cases comparison pointless. So what? This was always the case. Corona was never going to take down 50 million or even a million in one country. The question is how many deaths you think is fine? In a small country like Ireland is that 10,000? 20,0000? 50,0000? More? In a larger country like the UK population 65 million what is acceptable? 500,000? Why not just admit that RTE aren't scaremongering, you just want the country open and that's that? Just like you probably didn't want it closed in March. It was "just the flu". Apologies if I'm wrong, all these "stop scaring posts" are blurring into one for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Drumpot wrote: »
    Im not so sure anything is off the table. Look at countries closing borders as things got bad, it became everybody for themselves. If there is a second wave they will have to look at longer term solutions. A country being able to shut its borders is surely one.

If Europe had closed itself to Italy in feb, would things if been as bad?

Countries closed borders after declaring an emergency which is allowed under EU law. We didn't so we have to follow the law and inform the commission of lifting of restrictions in line with the rest of Europe.
    As I said Harris is aware of the rules, his mandatory rules on isolation are meaningless and open to challenge, most likely illegal if they attempt to enforce them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,734 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

It lapses on 18th June. Could potentially be a new government by then.

With European countries gearing towards the 15th for a restart of travel and a sense of come July most countries will be open for business then it won't last long here

Would be great if all countries tested people on entry. Not sure how quick results could be or whether it would be possible to test at mass scale but maybe for next few weeks at least.

Countries closed borders after declaring an emergency which is allowed under EU law. We didn't so we have to follow the law and inform the commission of lifting of restrictions in line with the rest of Europe.
    As I said Harris is aware of the rules, his mandatory rules on isolation are meaningless and open to challenge, most likely illegal if they attempt to enforce them.

But if for example another EU country has a savage outbreak like Italy, there will be pressure to amend these rules. Different countries decided when they thought it was an emergency. I would argue that the laws that govern movement within Europe are not fit for purpose when a virus is spreading.

• Advertisement

Eod100 wrote: »
    Would be great if all countries tested people on entry. Not sure how quick results could be or whether it would be possible to test at mass scale but maybe for next few weeks at least.

I believe Iceland will be doing this.

Love how the UK is always banging on about "world beating" this, world beating that. This time in terms of testing. Surprise surprise it is far from world beating. Just because you want something to be true doesn't make it so, guys.

But if for example another EU country has a savage outbreak like Italy, there will be pressure to amend these rules. Different countries decided when they thought it was an emergency. I would argue that the laws that govern movement within Europe are not fit for purpose when a virus is spreading.
    Any suggestions from parliament that they going to amend the rules you believe are unfit?

Any suggestions from parliament that they going to amend the rules you believe are unfit?

I was responding to your comments that I was interpreting as suggesting that an EU country cannot legally enforce the self isolation rules on another person from the EU visiting their country.

If it is illegal for a country to bring in rules that it feels are appropriate for its protection during a pandemic/emergency, then these are the ones that need to be reviewed. Part of the issue with the outbreak was the incompetently slow response of individual countries and the EU as a unit.

All these laws were made with most likely no consideration for this sort of scenario. Like most things in western democracies, they are reactive, not extremely pro active at addressing potential disasters and seldom have the correct measures/laws in place to deal with said disasters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭Onesea

Theres no quarantine when entering Ireland. Its mandatory to fill in the locator form and that's it.

Will messege the embassy and tell them they are wrong so

• Advertisement

I was responding to your comments that I was interpreting as suggesting that an EU country cannot legally enforce the self isolation rules on another person from the EU visiting their country.

If it is illegal for a country to bring in rules that it feels are appropriate for its protection during a pandemic/emergency, then these are the ones that need to be reviewed. Part of the issue with the outbreak was the incompetently slow response of individual countries and the EU as a unit.

All these laws were made with most likely no consideration for this sort of scenario. Like most things in western democracies, they are reactive, not extremely pro active at addressing potential disasters and seldom have the correct measures/laws in place to deal with said disasters.

My only response is Ireland did not declare an emergency which would have allowed us impose the restrictions Harris and co want to impose now. We didn't so they contravene EU law on freedom of movement. We have started to lift restrictions so too late to declare an emergency.
    I have no more to say on the matter as it's off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Headline on rte: "South Korea fears second wave as new cases spike"

To clarify, that's a massive 79 new cases in a country of 50 MILLION PEOPLE.

Fearmongering like that from our national broadcaster is truly shameful. No wonder so many people are scared stiff.

Terrible heading to the article and they don't expect anymore new cases from the cluster after today as they have done full contact tracing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

fr336 wrote: »
    Really don't see your point. At all. Due to these cases South Korea is pulling the shutters down again in certain areas. RTE are reporting that. Have you ever heard of exponential growth? Places like South Korea (and the health professionals in Ireland and everywhere else) are fearful of getting back in a situation as in March where those 79 cases snowball into something much bigger and the following deaths. I find your 50 million population>79 cases comparison pointless. So what? This was always the case. Corona was never going to take down 50 million or even a million in one country. The question is how many deaths you think is fine? In a small country like Ireland is that 10,000? 20,0000? 50,0000? More? In a larger country like the UK population 65 million what is acceptable? 500,000? Why not just admit that RTE aren't scaremongering, you just want the country open and that's that? Just like you probably didn't want it closed in March. It was "just the flu". Apologies if I'm wrong, all these "stop scaring posts" are blurring into one for me.
    Love how the UK is always banging on about "world beating" this, world beating that. This time in terms of testing. Surprise surprise it is far from world beating. Just because you want something to be true doesn't make it so, guys.

You should be able to enjoy the doom and gloom drooling and frothing at the mouth for longer so, enjoy ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

https://connachttribune.ie/uhg-nurse-battles-for-her-life-in-icu-180/

A young nurse in UHG in ICU. She's looks like a beautiful lady. It's so sad. Hopefully she will pull through and makes a recovery.

I don't want to use this as some sort of a point scoring football but I will say, if it wasn't for the lockdown, this virus would have spread more throughout society and we would have seen more of this - young adults in hospital and ICU.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Find it very odd that who love it that the Uk are trying to proclaim they are now doing well.

Its very sad how badly the UK have done.

owlbethere wrote: »

if it wasn't for the lockdown, this virus would have spread more throughout society and we would have seen more of this - young adults in hospital and ICU.

This is nothing more than guesswork on your behalf. The evidence of who it affects is readily available elderly and those with underlying conditions are the victims of this virus.

MD1990 wrote: »
    Find it very odd that who love it that the Uk are trying to proclaim they are now doing well.

Its very sad how badly the UK have done.

They are doing a lot better, their deaths have dropped significantly over the last month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

A young nurse in UHG in ICU. She's looks like a beautiful lady. It's so sad. Hopefully she will pull through and makes a recovery.

I don't want to use this as some sort of a point scoring football but I will say, if it wasn't for the lockdown, this virus would have spread more throughout society and we would have seen more of this - young adults in hospital and ICU.

Crazy how it affects certain ethnic groups more than others

• Registered Users Posts: 7,681 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Hi Dr Tony

Micky 32 wrote: »
    You should be able to enjoy the doom and gloom drooling and frothing at the mouth for longer so, enjoy ;-)

Yeah I'm really enjoying it. Before all this I mainly posted on Aviation and Aircraft. Guess what? There's hardly any planes. So I have an interest in aviation, you'd assume I'd want planes in the air right? I also have other interests outside the house. But you know it all, I just want everything locked down forever blah blah blah blah. If there's a second wave, I'll hope you'll take responsibility for the lost lives and economic damage (depression).

• Advertisement

Hi Dr Tony

Hi President Trump

This is nothing more than guesswork on your behalf. The evidence of who it affects is readily available elderly and those with underlying conditions are the victims of this virus.

Well you'd know all about guesswork. I guess if there wasn't a lockdown we'd have exactly the same amount of young people dying and in intensive care. Nothing to see here folks.

Yeah I'm really enjoying it. Before all this I mainly posted on Aviation and Aircraft. Guess what? There's hardly any planes. So I have an interest in aviation, you'd assume I'd want planes in the air right? I also have other interests outside the house. But you know it all, I just want everything locked down forever blah blah blah blah. If there's a second wave, I'll hope you'll take responsibility for the lost lives and economic damage (depression).

You should research more before posting scaremongering shyte. The Uk deaths are down to half of what they were and the South Korea 79 cases are now isolated and don’t expect any more new cases from that cluster.

It's not politics to want to save lives and the economy. This is like wartime - it should be above politics.

You should research more before posting scaremongering shyte. The Uk deaths are down to half of what they were and the South Korea 79 cases are now isolated and don’t expect any more new cases from that cluster.

It's called progress and proceeding with caution. You are the complete opposite end. Tell me, did you agree with locking down at all?

My only response is Ireland did not declare an emergency which would have allowed us impose the restrictions Harris and co want to impose now. We didn't so they contravene EU law on freedom of movement. We have started to lift restrictions so too late to declare an emergency.
    I have no more to say on the matter as it's off topic.

I was just responding to your question, you brought up legality within EU :confused:

It's called progress and proceeding with caution. You are the complete opposite end. Tell me, did you agree with locking down at all?

To be honest i haven’t thought much about it because the lockdown hasn’t affected me at all, i’m out and about as normal thanks to my line of work. In fact i drove 50km from my home today and it was legal.

No, your posts dwell on doom and gloom. Posting scaremongering posts that we’re all gonna die isn’t about progress and proceding with caution

Well you'd know all about guesswork. I guess if there wasn't a lockdown we'd have exactly the same amount of young people dying and in intensive care. Nothing to see here folks.

Stupid response tbh.

To be honest i haven’t thought much about it because the lockdown hasn’t affected me at all, i’m out and about as normal thanks to my line of work. In fact i drove 50km from my home today and it was legal.

No, your posts dwell on doom and gloom. Posting scaremongering posts that we’re all gonna die isn’t about progress and proceding with caution

WHERE have I said all going to die? Even at its worst Corona wouldn't get a million of the population. How much is acceptable to you? 50,000? 100,000?

• Advertisement

Good news, people! The UK now has the most excess deaths in the WORLD. On the plus side, it remains the 5th largest economy in the world. It's also a really lovely sunny day here. I'm feeling really positive about how things are going and look forward to getting the country back to work and prospering.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement