Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭.red.

Jesus so I've just wasted €175. I have an old Huawei E5577c modem, so that would have done.

I wouldn't say you've wasted it but you spent a whole lot more than you needed to.
    Either cancel the order or send it straight back, distance selling rules makes that easy enough

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,431 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

Jesus so I've just wasted €175. I have an old Huawei E5577c modem, so that would have done?

My Netflix plan is €11.99 per month. I sideloaded the App so does that mean that I can only get SD and would be better changing the plan to €7.99 pm.

hd plan would be best - not sure if you need a 4k plan

as it might not work on sideloaded apps etc anyway

i have 4k stuff on iptv dont really use it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

Jesus so I've just wasted €175. I have an old Huawei E5577c modem, so that would have done?

My Netflix plan is €11.99 per month. I sideloaded the App so does that mean that I can only get SD and would be better changing the plan to €7.99 pm.

Have a look at more sites like this for info on your Netflix in HD on a Mecool box
    and for info on stuff like sideloading Disney+ etc, etc.
    At the end of the day, you now have a good idea on what the box does and what speeds work. So it's solely up to yourself on what you do next.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭BandMember

If 4k only requires that why were people recommending B525 routers from way back in the thread and saying little can be done without Fibre . If 30Mbps is all you need mobile broadband is fine for everyone.

You're not going to be able to stream 4K perfectly on either your speed or your midband connection. Those suggested speeds are based on an optimal/perfect connection, device and set up. Plus, if you're only getting a bare 30 and they say you need 25 for 4k, if anyone else in the house is connected to your network at the same time, then you can definitely forget it. Your set up is as important as your speed and both will need to be set up correctly and optimized to achieve 4K. You'll just have to slum it with Full HD........ :P

If you think mobile midband is fine for everyone then I would suggest that you are either completely new to it or you have never experienced proper broadband. Long story short as it's a lengthy argument/debate for another day, that statement is completely and utterly wrong. Not having a go at you - it's the statement I am taking aim at.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

.red. wrote: »
    I wouldn't say you've wasted it but you spent a whole lot more than you needed to.
    Either cancel the order or send it straight back, distance selling rules makes that easy enough

I just checked the Huawei E557c router and it's locked to Eir network and my latest Three speed dropped to 7Mbps
    so the Router I got might be overkill unless it's used with a Vodafone package.

Rather than cancel the order altogether is there another Router on Elara that would be more suitable?

Nowso wrote: »
    hd plan would be best - not sure if you need a 4k plan
    as it might not work on sideloaded apps etc anyway
    i have 4k stuff on iptv dont really use it

Thanks I'll stick to the Hd plan unless I find out it can't be used on the sideloaded Netflix.
    bazzz wrote: »
    Have a look at more sites like this for info on your Netflix in HD on a Mecool box
    and for info on stuff like sideloading Disney+ etc, etc.
    At the end of the day, you now have a good idea on what the box does and what speeds work. So it's solely up to yourself on what you do next.

I'll check that site.
    BandMember wrote: »
    You're not going to be able to stream 4K perfectly on either your speed or your midband connection. Those suggested speeds are based on an optimal/perfect connection, device and set up. Plus, if you're only getting a bare 30 and they say you need 25 for 4k, if anyone else in the house is connected to your network at the same time, then you can definitely forget it. Your set up is as important as your speed and both will need to be set up correctly and optimized to achieve 4K. You'll just have to slum it with Full HD........ :P

If you think mobile midband is fine for everyone then I would suggest that you are either completely new to it or you have never experienced proper broadband. Long story short as it's a lengthy argument/debate for another day, that statement is completely and utterly wrong. Not having a go at you - it's the statement I am taking aim at.

No problem, I'm completely new to Internet TV. Until a few weeks ago hadn't a clue what sideloading was. Now I'm talking about it like I know what I'm talking about :)

I'm curious on what way you lads manage your subscriptions. Theres a lot of movies on various apps and it would be costly to subscribe to all.

Also, what is Plex and Kodi for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭styron

Netflix savings available (1st page and the last 3 or 4).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭BandMember

I'm curious on what way you lads manage your subscriptions. Theres a lot of movies on various apps and it would be costly to subscribe to all.

Also, what is Plex and Kodi for.

What Plex and Kodi are for and what they are used for are two completely different things.

Seeing as you're new here, we'll politely point to you to the title of this thread and suggest that Google is your friend for the answers to all three of your questions..... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,173 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I have a mecool.

Disney plus can be loaded from the app store but doesn't work. Problem with the sound encoding.

No solution for it.

You can cast Disney plus from your phones easily though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I have a mecool.

Disney plus can be loaded from the app store but doesn't work. Problem with the sound encoding.

No solution for it.

You can cast Disney plus from your phones easily though.
    You can sideload aurora on it and sign as anonymous to get it, but as you already have it..
    Try this

Go to settings and change the Digital Audio Format to Auto and enable surround sound (DTS).
    Some people have reported having different success changing the dolby settings in audio.
    Also if you select to download the show/movie audio should work.
    You may have to try older versions of Disney+ and disable auto updates.

Is there any way of using your phone's keyboard to sign in to Netflix rather than having to use the Mecool Keyboard + Remote to login each time.

I had thought that once you pair the Mecool with your phones Google account that signing in is automatic but thats not the case for me.

• Advertisement

Is there any way of using your phone's keyboard to sign in to Netflix rather than having to use the Mecool Keyboard + Remote to login each time.

I had thought that once you pair the Mecool with your phones Google account that signing in is automatic but thats not the case for me.
    Not sure why it's doing that for you there, but it should automatically sign you in.
    https://help.netflix.com/en/node/1894
    You can also try this, I hvae used it on many devices, but not on the Mecool, never needed to yet.
    https://www.cetusplay.com/

android tv remote app can be used

• Registered Users Posts: 45,173 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Suckit wrote: »
    You can sideload aurora on it and sign as anonymous to get it, but as you already have it..
    Try this

Go to settings and change the Digital Audio Format to Auto and enable surround sound (DTS).
    Some people have reported having different success changing the dolby settings in audio.
    Also if you select to download the show/movie audio should work.
    You may have to try older versions of Disney+ and disable auto updates.

Have tried every combination of sound setting and no difference. I can hear the audio description soundtrack, and that is it.

As for using older versions, I tried installing Disney+ via apk previously (as it originally didn't show up in the Play Store for me, until I reset the device to factory settings) and I couldn't get it to work (wouldn't load into the app correctly) so I'd be hesitant to go that route.

Casting works, so there is an acceptable work around, for me anyway. Just a frustration.

Also Netflix doesn't work on the device (KM3) - you need to use the mobile version and I don't know how to legit install the mobile version on the KM3. The version available in the Play Store is not it, and doesn't work.

Have tried every combination of sound setting and no difference. I can hear the audio description soundtrack, and that is it.

As for using older versions, I tried installing Disney+ via apk previously (as it originally didn't show up in the Play Store for me, until I reset the device to factory settings) and I couldn't get it to work (wouldn't load into the app correctly) so I'd be hesitant to go that route.

Casting works, so there is an acceptable work around, for me anyway. Just a frustration.

Also Netflix doesn't work on the device (KM3) - you need to use the mobile version and I don't know how to legit install the mobile version on the KM3. The version available in the Play Store is not it, and doesn't work.

Apparently Disney+ is not compatible with most devices (even well known brands), and it can be touch and go to get it working.

Have you tried the two netflix apps posted on this thread? Mediafire links.

Or this - https://mega.nz/file/cbpFRZoT#oWU4Wn6NJDI4DXUPtSqKPAa8nbGoisfY2Txh8UoHbOU

Suckit wrote: »
    Not sure why it's doing that for you there, but it should automatically sign you in.
    https://help.netflix.com/en/node/1894
    You can also try this, I hvae used it on many devices, but not on the Mecool, never needed to yet.
    https://www.cetusplay.com/

It signed me in Tonight automatically.

I might not have paired my phone to the box last night before selecting Netflix on the TV screen. Would that cause Netflix to request sign in?

Also I plug the Box out and Turn off WiFi at night. Does the Box retain settings and sign info if plugged out?

Thanks for the link above. If using it would I choose Set top box or Smart TV for the relevant info for the Mecool?

It signed me in Tonight automatically.

I might not have paired my phone to the box last night before selecting Netflix on the TV screen. Would that cause Netflix to request sign in?

Also I plug the Box out and Turn off WiFi at night. Does the Box retain settings and sign info if plugged out?

Thanks for the link above. If using it would I choose Set top box or Smart TV for the relevant info for the Mecool?
    Yep, it should retain settings.
    Neither, As you are installing and APK, choose android phone or Tablet (It may also be the same issues as described in the Fire Stick).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

My minix neo uh9 is slowly becoming unusable, utorrent crashes multiple times before I can use it, vlc player constantly buffering even when my content is downloaded to a sd card.

The system settings crash when trying to open them.
    I can usually end up using/opening what I want it to do, but its becoming such a nightmare.
    Also it's made in HK and cannot be upgraded as far as I see.

Is it time to ditch this crap and get a fire stick or the new nvidia shield, is it worth the investment? the minix wasn't cheap so I don't want to pay for more rubbish if it's not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,929 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Phil.x wrote: »
    My minix neo uh9 is slowly becoming unusable, torrent crashes multiple times before I can use it, vlc player constantly buffering even when my content is downloaded to a sd card.

I can usually end up using/opening what I want it to do, but its becoming such a nightmare.

Is it time to ditch this crap and get a fire stick or the new nvidia shield, is it worth the investment? the minix wasn't cheap so I don't want to pay for more rubbish if it's not worth it.

if i had a smart tv, i think id be going with an iptv app, and ditch a device altogether, seem some slick setups, very solid to

My minix neo uh9 is slowly becoming unusable, utorrent crashes multiple times before I can use it, vlc player constantly buffering even when my content is downloaded to a sd card.

Do a reset and reload an iptv app - smart tv apps are not great compared

• Registered Users Posts: 49 thelynchs

Had similar with a Mecool kiii pro, done a factory reset (toothpick) and its literally like a new box. Something I think I'll be doing every few months, from now on. Don't forget about back-up / restore options if you go this route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭.red.

My Neo U1 was similar a while back, but nowhere near that bad, its the model before yours, and probably an older Android OS(mine is stuck on Lollipop, 5.??).
    As recommended from here I did a factory reset and it's working fine since. A few apps are slow but always work, sometimes MX Player gets stuck if I try and fast forward. I use tTorrent and noticed if that's running the whole thing is noticeably slow, as soon as it shuts down the box runs like normal again.
    Yours being newer might be similar. Worth a go with the reset anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Shield, you will never regret it. I have the last version and it has never crashed, only con is the remote is awful but I bought a different one on Amazon for like a tenner.

.red. wrote: »
    My Neo U1 was similar a while back, but nowhere near that bad, its the model before yours, and probably an older Android OS(mine is stuck on Lollipop, 5.??).

I'm sure there's custom FWs/Roms available for each of those boxes. I know you @.red are happy with yours again. Also there's the option of
    installing something like LibreElec,which would render the boxes souped-up
    Kodi only boxes. That should handle very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,866 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I'm sure there's custom FWs/Roms available for each of those boxes. I know you @.red are happy with yours again. Also there's the option of
    installing something like LibreElec,which would render the boxes souped-up
    Kodi only boxes. That should handle very well.
    No need to post that in bold.

muffler wrote: »
    No need to post that in bold.

Ehh ok so.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,866 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Ehh ok so.
    Sorry, didnt mean to come across as being abrupt. Posting in bold can some times be viewed as shouting so to speak but its also something that mods use to get a message across - neither apply here though so just offering a wee bit of friendly advice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,765 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

I purchased this today, their newest box I think, not cheap but nice processor etc.

The Minix U22-XJ

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MINIX-Android-Media-Vision-U22-XJ/dp/B0865MZ5MM

• Registered Users Posts: 8,642 ✭✭✭corks finest

rob316 wrote: »
    Shield, you will never regret it. I have the last version and it has never crashed, only con is the remote is awful but I bought a different one on Amazon for like a tenner.

Without doubt,have a shield tops, ref remote what did u get on Amazon- thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭kala85

Have a, shield as well the rectangle one.

It's a great job. Only issu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭kala85

Have a, shield as well the rectangle one.

It's a great job. Only issue was when I updated the software, the rte player wouldn't work anymore.

But that might be down to rte player

Advertisement