Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

2017 shield is near as good, plenty second hand ones available

I just googled it , Amazon America , straight away first item that popped up

Its going to make it very expensive and with almost zero chance of any come back if there's a problem with it. No?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭corks finest

beauf wrote: »
    Its going to make it very expensive and with almost zero chance of any come back if there's a problem with it. No?

New- Amazon returns are no sweat,tbh I've never heard of problems ref Nvidia shield

• Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭DopeTech

New- Amazon returns are no sweat,tbh I've never heard of problems ref Nvidia shield

Would it not be cheaper buying in the eu?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

But these aren't new.

It's there no other cheap box that does most of the same stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Boxcar_Willie

Can anyone recommend a box that will run the SkyGo app ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Can anyone recommend a box that will run the SkyGo app ?

Don't think you can run SkyGo on a box with HDMI

DopeTech wrote: »
    Would it not be cheaper buying in the eu?

New can't be got ( without a lengthy wait)

beauf wrote: »
    But these aren't new.

It's there no other cheap box that does most of the same stuff.

Price and shipping:
    $270.00 New

Condition and notes:
    New
    Seller information:
    Amzport
    Just Launched (Seller Profile)

Ships from OR, United States.
    Shipping rates and return policy.
    Every purchase on

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Boxcar_Willie

Don't think you can run SkyGo on a box with HDMI

It will run on XBox and PlayStation with HDMI but looking for an alternative .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

funnyname wrote: »
    I have a logitec webcam.

Neither skype or zoom supported on Android TV OS, sideloaded skype but wouldn't connect with webcam so that's why I'm thinking if I get an ordinary android box then it'll work as I want. I watched a youtube vid earlier and the reviewer said unfortunately this was the only way to get it to work.

I'm open to other suggestions
    Have you tried something like this? - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=us.usbcamera.usbwebcam.uvccamera.externalcamera&hl=en
    List here - https://play.google.com/store/search?q=usb%20camera&c=apps&hl=en

It should also be possible to use Termux failing the above.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

It will run on XBox and PlayStation with HDMI but looking for an alternative .

Sorry, I should've said android device with HDMI

• Registered Users Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭.red.

Sorry, I should've said android device with HDMI

I don't think there is one that will work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

Hey all iv a friend looking for a box and I'm a while out of the know what's good.I use the shield and love it but would be over kill on friend and prob out of budget.Any suggestions would be great.cheer
    Main use would be YouTube, Kodi, netflix

massy086 wrote: »
    Hey all iv a friend looking for a box and I'm a while out of the know what's good.I use the shield and love it but would be over kill on friend and prob out of budget.Any suggestions would be great.cheer
    Main use would be YouTube, Kodi, netflix

Mi box S. Official Android for TV and built in chromecast.

Mi box S. Official Android for TV and built in chromecast.
    Does it run Netflix ok

Does it run Netflix ok

Yes, no issues at all. It's a proper android box like the shield just slightly lower spec but very capable.

Yes, no issues at all. It's a proper android box like the shield just slightly lower spec but very capable.

Cheers for that just ordered one from honorbuy 65€ delivered

Cheers for that just ordered one from honorbuy 65€ delivered

I have the mi box 3 which is the model before this for the last 2 years or so. Perfect for IPTV, netflix, YouTube etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭branners69

Hey,

looking for a bit of advice. I have been a Minix fan for years I have owned an x7, x8-h and a U1. I also have bought a H96 Pro and a Mecool Kiii Pro.

This time I want Netflix in 1080p, no messing about with apks. I want ideally DTS passthrough. I dont need to play games on it so I dont really need a Shield TV, to be fair if there wasnt a shortage I might just have picked one up.

I am considering the Xiaomi Mi TV Box but with only 2gb and 8gb storage I feel there much be a new one around the corner?

I have never used any Amazon boxes, would one of their boxes suit my needs?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭funnyname

Suckit wrote: »
    Have you tried something like this? - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=us.usbcamera.usbwebcam.uvccamera.externalcamera&hl=en
    List here - https://play.google.com/store/search?q=usb%20camera&c=apps&hl=en

It should also be possible to use Termux failing the above.

The Android tv google play store doesn't have that app available so I can't try it. That's the kicker with the android tv OS, it's great for streaming video but not all apps are configured for it in the way they are for android os used in phones and tablets.

I think my best option is to connect the Logitech webcam to my phone, see if skype video call can use that as the camera rather than the phone's camera and then cast the call to my shield and tv.

• Advertisement

The Android tv google play store doesn't have that app available so I can't try it. That's the kicker with the android tv OS, it's great for streaming video but not all apps are configured for it in the way they are for android os used in phones and tablets.

I think my best option is to connect the Logitech webcam to my phone, see if skype video call can use that as the camera rather than the phone's camera and then cast the call to my shield and tv.
    You can sideload it.

Or, download Aurora and sideload that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭funnyname

Suckit wrote: »
    You can sideload it.

Or, download Aurora and sideload that.

Sometimes sided loaded apps don't work that well

Xiaomi Mi Box offer is back on DHGate for €42.
    https://fr.dhgate.com/product/xiaomi-mi-box-s-4-android-8-1-4k-hd-quadcore/476419909.html

Using code DH40All

Sometimes sided loaded apps don't work that well
    You would only need to sideload Aurora.

Free month of Plex Pass with code HDHR01MONTH

https://www.plex.tv/
    For anyone that doesn't have it, or know what it is, this offer is a good time to try it and find out.
    It is hopefully preceeding a (good) lifetime subscription sale in the next week or so.

EDIT - You may also want to look at Emby / Emby Premiere
    But no sales yet this summer so far (that I have seen).

You could also look at Jellyfin.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭andrewbrowne

Does anyone know if/how i can use my mobile data connection for one of these. Someone told me you can

Does anyone know if/how i can use my mobile data connection for one of these. Someone told me you can

Turn on a WiFi hotspot on your phone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

If your mobile phone can act as a Hotspot (mobile router) and you're internet speed is half decent ( averege stable speeds between say 10 - 20MB DL). Should be fine.

Thanks got it sorted. Simple enough anyway speeds are slow thats all.

• Advertisement

Yep cheers thank you

Advertisement