Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

So I bought a Mecool KM3 cause my current android box doesn't support Disney+.

And neither does the Mecool KM3.....

what android box can I buy that supports Disney+, Netflix (KM3 also didn't support this), Amazon Prime and will allow installs? Preferably something that also allows me to use a keyboard (so i don't have to direction my way around an onscreen keyboard)

I found a workaround, install the apkpure app and launch it, search in the app for Disney+ and install it from there,it has about 5 parts to install and it works. It takes a bit longer than usual to install as it extracts the files but it works. The playstore version didn't work on my box but now I have Disney plus running on my android box.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I found a workaround, install the apkpure app and launch it, search in the app for Disney+ and install it from there,it has about 5 parts to install and it works. It takes a bit longer than usual to install as it extracts the files but it works. The playstore version didn't work on my box but now I have Disney plus running on my android box.
    Yep APKPure version works with xapk and their installer too.
    https://apkpure.com/disney/com.disney.disneyplus

And there are a few workarounds for Netflix full HD/4K on the KM3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

The Mecool box I ordered arrives on Monday.

I bought it on Geekbuying from a Chinese company.

Will there be customs charges on this because I did not buy it from an EU Warehouse on Geekbuying?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

If coming from EU no custom charges, outside EU - all down to luck. You may get hit with customs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭6541

can anyone recommend a box for a really old TV, Its called a Philip Matchline and only has SCART connections. An older man wants netflix !

• Advertisement

6541 wrote: »
    can anyone recommend a box for a really old TV, Its called a Philip Matchline and only has SCART connections. An older man wants netflix !
    You could get him something like this and then use any box
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B015XCA6RG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭6541

Suckit wrote: »
    You could get him something like this and then use any box
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B015XCA6RG

Do you think that would work with a firestick ?

6541 wrote: »
    Do you think that would work with a firestick ?
    I can't see why not. If it doesn't, you can send it back.

It has a female HDMI, for taking HDMI.

Lads my Mecool KM9 Pro is arriving Monday. I need to get Broadband sorted for next week.

Fibre is a non runner because I can only get 15mb in my area (FTTC) so Midband is my only option.

My mobile phone is on the Vodafone network and my current download speed is 84.3mb and upload is 11.5mb.

I have these options for Midband.
    Vodafone €40pm 300gb B528 router.
    12 month contract.

Eir €29.99pm 760gb B528 router.
    12 month contract.

Three €30pm(1st 6 months €20) 300gb B535 router.
    24 month contract.

I could also buy a Router instead and use a Three phone sim(€20pm) with it.

What would you choose in this situation?
    Vodafone has the best speeds but lowest amount of data.
    The Eir and Three offers are similar but Three has the better router but its contract is 24 months.

Thanks for any advice on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I'd buy a router from Amazon and then buy whatever sim deal is best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

What would you choose in this situation?
    Vodafone has the best speeds but lowest amount of data.
    The Eir and Three offers are similar but Three has the better router but its contract is 24 months.

Thanks for any advice on this.

For me it would depend on what speeds you would get from Three.
    If the speeds are good, I'd go with that. Plus they are more lenient on certain
    site restrictions;). Compared to the likes of Eir. Also Three's big draw, is their Unlimited Data option.
    That's a biggie when you're probably going to use the box, mostly for streaming.

yabadabado wrote: »
    I'd buy a router from Amazon and then buy whatever sim deal is best.

Which router?

Do you know if Eir's SIM only 30day plan can be used for Midband or is it just for mobile phones. I tried contacting them on chat but no luck.
    https://www.eir.ie/mobile/simonly/
    bazzz wrote: »
    For me it would depend on what speeds you would get from Three.
    If the speeds are good, I'd go with that. Plus they are more lenient on certain
    site restrictions;). Compared to the likes of Eir. Also Three's big draw, is their Unlimited Data option.
    That's a biggie when you're probably going to use the box, mostly for streaming.
    Didn't realise there are restrictions. I presume you mean their 24 month contract option or do you mean using their unlimited phone sim.

I haven't looked at those routers in a long time but there was some TP Link models that were well thought of.Sim free job so can pick whatever provider suits best and not locked into a contract.

Maybe someone here has bought one recently or try a site like Which for a good recommendation.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,451 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

Which router?

Do you know if Eir's SIM only 30day plan can be used for Midband or is it just for mobile phones. I tried contacting them on chat but no luck.
    https://www.eir.ie/mobile/simonly/

Didn't realise there are restrictions. I presume you mean their 24 month contract option or do you mean using their unlimited phone sim.

the Eir pay as you go may be able to be run in a modem aswell if u look - there not gonna tell you how to do it though .

Got a message from DHL this morning saying I need to pay €25 before the Mecool can be delivered.

€14.50 is to cover Payment Deferment
    €10.50 is VAT.

Does anyone know what the payment deferment charge relates to?

Got a message from DHL this morning saying I need to pay €25 before the Mecool can be delivered.

€14.50 is to cover Payment Deferment
    €10.50 is VAT.

Does anyone know what the payment deferment charge relates to?

How much was the Mecool box ?

I'm guessing you ordered from China ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

Sorry only seen your reply. Either of those should do. I have the contract option
    as well as VF home BB (currently only 15MB down). As far as I know, they don't
    really punish or throttle you if you go beyond the Unlimited option (750GB per month on contract or 60-100GB sim only). They've turned off the limit anyway during the lockdown.

How much was the Mecool box ?

I'm guessing you ordered from China ?

I ordered from China on Geekbuying. There was nothing available in their EU Warehouses at the time.

The Mecool was around €62.

I ordered from China on Geekbuying. There was nothing available in their EU Warehouses at the time.

The charge is probably DHL handling/admin fee.

Its a bitch to pay it but you still have an excellent box for €90 .

Why wouldn't the handling fee have been included at checkout along with DHL's p+p?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

Why wouldn't the handling fee have been included at checkout along with DHL's p+p?
    The handling fee is because they are doing customs for you

• Registered Users Posts: 6,770 ✭✭✭DopeTech

mi-tv-stick.jpg

This will be interesting if it does come to Europe. I'd definitely prefer this over a fire tv stick.

DopeTech wrote: »
    mi-tv-stick.jpg

This will be interesting if it does come to Europe. I'd definitely prefer this over a fire tv stick.

there was a new firmware update for the mi box s of android 9 the other day works better

wouldnt be much different to mi box s really

• Registered Users Posts: 6,770 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Nowso wrote: »
    there was a new firmware update for the mi box s of android 9 the other day works better

wouldnt be much different to mi box s really

It'll probably just be the mi box s in stick format but I'd prefer that than the fire TV stick. If it's around the same price then this would be a clear winner imo.

DopeTech wrote: »
    It'll probably just be the mi box s in stick format but I'd prefer that than the fire TV stick. If it's around the same price then this would be a clear winner imo.

the only real downside to the mi box s is the standard remote is limited on no number entry diorection pad for some apps

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

€14.50 is to cover Payment Deferment €10.50 is VAT.

U missed a previous letter to pay VAT from them..just pay it as it will keep increasing

Nowso wrote: »
    the only real downside to the mi box s is the standard remote is limited on no number entry diorection pad for some apps

the remote is similar to any of them for boxs that run Android TV.

Imo its not an issue after the initial set up and even then its not a massive headache.

Id never go back to the wand type remote after using nvidia remote for a few years.

U missed a previous letter to pay VAT from them..just pay it as it will keep increasing

I doubt thats the case.

I never got any letter.
    In the Waybill it's says Payment Deferment Risk €14.50.

I searched it on Google but it's unclear. I think it's a payment to cover the traders cost of sending a package through customs. The trader pays customs in advance and is reimbursed by the consumer. Im not certain on it, that's just my understanding of it

I paid it regardless so the box is on the way. Should have it tomorrow.

• Advertisement

It is DHL handling fee. I avoid using them whenever possible.

https://www.ukbusinessforums.co.uk/threads/dhl-payment-deferment-risk.404314/

Advertisement