Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

I purchased this today, their newest box I think, not cheap but nice processor etc.

The Minix U22-XJ

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MINIX-Android-Media-Vision-U22-XJ/dp/B0865MZ5MM

Have their U9 and very happy with it - any chance you could let us have your views on the U22 when you set it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,753 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

BowWow wrote: »
    Have their U9 and very happy with it - any chance you could let us have your views on the U22 when you set it up?

Sure, will do, but I am a bit of a newbie when it comes to Android boxes (though I use a Fire TV stick 4k and have loaded Kodi and add-ons etc on it).

Won't get it until May 15th so quite another while before that happens!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭corks finest

kala85 wrote: »
    Have a, shield as well the rectangle one.

It's a great job. Only issue was when I updated the software, the rte player wouldn't work anymore.

But that might be down to rte player

It's the player it's dire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭BandMember

I purchased this today, their newest box I think, not cheap but nice processor etc.

The Minix U22-XJ

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MINIX-Android-Media-Vision-U22-XJ/dp/B0865MZ5MM

The Minix are a great box, had a couple of them and they lasted years. A few I know are still using their ones for IPTV and they work fine for that. Would definitely recommend them. Only reason I got rid was because I couldn't upgrade from 4.4.2 and this caused a lot of apps to no longer be compatible. Bought a Shield to replace it and it's been great. I'm interested to hear how the new Minix performs though, so any review or feedback would be great.
    It's the player it's dire

Definitely the RTE Player. Works fine on certain devices but not on the Shield for some reason. Only workaround is to clear the cache in both the app itself and the Shield before you open it or else it just f**ks up everything and you have to unplug the Shield to reboot.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

BandMember wrote: »
    The Minix are a great box, had a couple of them and they lasted years. A few I know are still using their ones for IPTV and they work fine for that. Would definitely recommend them. Only reason I got rid was because I couldn't upgrade from 4.4.2 and this caused a lot of apps to no longer be compatible. Bought a Shield to replace it and it's been great. I'm interested to hear how the new Minix performs though, so any review or feedback would be great.

Definitely the RTE Player. Works fine on certain devices but not on the Shield for some reason. Only workaround is to clear the cache in both the app itself and the Shield before you open it or else it just f**ks up everything and you have to unplug the Shield to reboot.

on the Mi box s if it rte player crashes just clear the apps cache and restart the box

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭corks finest

BandMember wrote: »

It's awful though,had it on phone tablet etc,son's phone ( v high spec) it's crap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Quick update, I've moved whatever apps I can to the sd card clean the cache on most app, I've paused all movies on utorrent and deleted some apps. Now it's back working fine, maybe I can do a little more over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭914

thelynchs wrote: »
    Had similar with a Mecool kiii pro, done a factory reset (toothpick) and its literally like a new box. Something I think I'll be doing every few months, from now on. Don't forget about back-up / restore options if you go this route.

My maxesla box is stuck on the boot screen.

Opted to do a factory reset by sticking a pin in the reset hole.

The problem I have now is its displaying a message asking to proceed with the factory reset, but I am unable to use the remote, a mouse or a keyboard.

Anyone experience this and found way around it?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 thelynchs

914 wrote: »
    My maxesla box is stuck on the boot screen.

Opted to do a factory reset by sticking a pin in the reset hole.

The problem I have now is its displaying a message asking to proceed with the factory reset, but I am unable to use the remote, a mouse or a keyboard.

Anyone experience this and found way around it?

I use a Rii wireless keyboard worked fine, most android uses volume + and - to scroll, power button to select, it should tell you in the top corner under android details when you enter the menu.

thelynchs wrote: »
    I use a Rii wireless keyboard worked fine, most android uses volume + and - to scroll, power button to select, it should tell you in the top corner under android details when you enter the menu.

Thanks for that. I'll give it a try tomorrow.

• Advertisement

It's awful though,had it on phone tablet etc,son's phone ( v high spec) it's crap

The RTÉ app? It works perfect for me on my Android TV but just crashes my Shield. I understand that it's hit and miss for people, depending on what device they have. Clearly, they've released a half baked app for whatever reason (without either proper testing or just inept designers). They've wasted their money and I don't expect anything to be fixed or changed with it as they're aware of these problems for months now and have just ignored them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭6541

Quick question - I am going to buy an Amazon Firestick to connect to an old TV (Scart).
    I intend to use it for Netflix, IPTV and streaming music - anyone see any flaws in this.
    Also I need it to be wireless.
    Thanks for your help.

6541 wrote: »
    Quick question - I am going to buy an Amazon Firestick to connect to an old TV (Scart).
    I intend to use it for Netflix, IPTV and streaming music - anyone see any flaws in this.
    Also I need it to be wireless.
    Thanks for your help.

u need a hdmi port on the tv for a firestick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭6541

Nowso wrote: »
    u need a hdmi port on the tv for a firestick

Based on advice here - I bought a converter - I tested this converter with my NVIDIA Shield and it works a treat.
    I am trying to set this up for an older cocooning person.
    I guess my question is will the firestick do as a streaming device ?
    Netflix
    IPTV
    Music
    Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭stockshares

Im using the Mecool connected to a Router with an Ethernet cable instead of WiFi for the first time and the picture is a little dark. I thought Ethernet was supposed to give a better picture than WiFi.

Can I only connect by Ethernet or WiFi or can I connect by WiFi and Ethernet at the same time?

If i connect by WiFi and have the Ethernet plugged in but not connected will the ethernet kick in as backup if the WiFi is poor?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Based on advice here - I bought a converter - I tested this converter with my NVIDIA Shield and it works a treat.
    Netflix
    IPTV
    Music
    Thanks in advance.

Firestick works perfect for netflix, IPTV and Music. I have a few and use them for exactly this

• Registered Users Posts: 45,823 ✭✭✭✭muffler

neacy69 wrote: »
    Firestick works perfect for netflix, IPTV and Music. I have a few and use them for exactly this
    Agreed :)

Im using the Mecool connected to a Router with an Ethernet cable instead of WiFi for the first time and the picture is a little dark. I thought Ethernet was supposed to give a better picture than WiFi.

Can I only connect by Ethernet or WiFi or can I connect by WiFi and Ethernet at the same time?

If i connect by WiFi and have the Ethernet plugged in but not connected will the ethernet kick in as backup if the WiFi is poor?

the wifi wouldnt make much difference to the picture ethernet would only make streaming better quality really

Nowso wrote: »
    the wifi wouldnt make much difference to the picture ethernet would only make streaming better quality really

Thanks, one thing I have noticed is that there is very little buffering using the Ethernet cable.

Is there an optimum setting for picture quality for the Mecool in Device Settings?

914 wrote: »
    Thanks for that. I'll give it a try tomorrow.

Ah no joy. Stuck on this screen. Tried the remote, air mouse, plugged in an actual mouse but no joy.

No sign of a courser appearing or anything

• Advertisement

Thanks, one thing I have noticed is that there is very little buffering using the Ethernet cable.

Is there an optimum setting for picture quality for the Mecool in Device Settings?

ethernet will be quicker as wifi can suffer from interference from your neighbours wifi , chromecasts , wifi boosters etc

display settings depend on your tv ie 4k or fhd or hd ready

or your app your using - you can always chane brightness and contrast on your tv

Netflix
    IPTV
    Music
    Thanks in advance.

the quality will be very limited via a scart and your better getting a second hand fhd tv and using that

An Ethernet cable will make absolutely zero difference to the picture quality - that is all down to the source. The major difference will be faster and more stable speeds direct to your device which should also help reduce buffering.

I'd suggest you look at changing the picture settings on your tv and/or your device. Your Ethernet or wifi connection is absolutely not causing any difference in brightness or darkness to your picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Xiaomi Mi TV Box S 4 is available on DHGate for roughly €43.50 using code DHY40
    https://www.dhgate.com/product/xiaomi-mi-box-s-4-android-8-1-4k-hd-quadcore/476419909.html
    Features:

Android TV box, Video decoder: 4K, Audio decoder, Image decoder
    Wi-Fi, Bluetooth connectivity
    Compatible with Google Assistant, SmartCast - Integrated Disney + application
    2.0 GHz Quad-Core ARM Cortex-A53 processor
    GPU Mali 450 750 MHz
    2 GB RAM
    8 GB internal storage (eMMC / Flash)
    Operating system: Android TV 8.1
    Google Assistant
    Wi-Fi 802.11 a / b / g / n / ac, Dual-band Wi-Fi 2.4GHz / 5GHz
    Bluetooth 4.2
    HDMI 2.0 with HDCP 2.2
    USB 2.0 port
    Display resolution: 4K HDR at 60 fps
    Sound immersion: DTS and Dolby Digital Plus
    Remote control with microphone included
    To avoid problems with slowdowns and/or waking from sleep on this box ,
    - Activate the CEC Switch in the HDMI-CEC submenu.
    - Deactivate 'Auto switch to best resolution' in the Screen Resolution category and choose the maximum resolution option with 50Hz in Display mode (for example 1080p 50hz or 4k with 50hz).

This box works very well under Android 8.1 so it is probably not the best option to jump on to the Android 9 update unless you really want/need amazon prime
    There are still some bugs appearing for some people - bluetooth headset, USB adapter not being recognised to name two.

If you receive the box with the new remote control (Amazon Prime button instead of Live TV) then there is a good chance that you are already on Android 9 which should be - or update to the last (MAJ of April 10 Build PI.2604 ) because it is the most stable version (the previous ones being Beta versions)

This is the newer version remote control -
    AaVhj1t.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Thanks for that, I'm leaning towards ordering the Mi box S at that price.

I wasn't sure weather to order that or what until the Chromecast Ultra 2 but with this Corona situation that launch might be delayed a while.

Really want Android TV but I'm not a gamer so the Nvidia Shield is overkill.

EDIT: DHgate saying it's out of coupons when trying to use the code.

Ush1 wrote: »
    Thanks for that, I'm leaning towards ordering the Mi box S at that price.

I wasn't sure weather to order that or what until the Chromecast Ultra 2 but with this Corona situation that launch might be delayed a while.

Really want Android TV but I'm not a gamer so the Nvidia Shield is overkill.

EDIT: DHgate saying it's out of coupons when trying to use the code.

there are standard price versions on ebay - i payed a little more when buying it in a shop in dublin but suited me better then

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Suckit wrote: »
    Xiaomi Mi TV Box S 4 is available on DHGate for roughly €43.50 using code DHY40
    https://www.dhgate.com/product/xiaomi-mi-box-s-4-android-8-1-4k-hd-quadcore/476419909.html

That should work very well. Still not sure why they dont include the Ethernet port and maybe a second USB. :confused:

I know you can use the one USB but still.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

coldfire1x wrote: »
    That should work very well. Still not sure why they dont include the Ethernet port and maybe a second USB. :confused:

I know you can use the one USB but still.....

I've added one of these for mine
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gigabit-1000Mbps-Ethernet-Adapter-Network/dp/B00LLUEJFU/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=ugreen+ethernet+usb3&qid=1589111478&sr=8-3

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

^^ Yes, that will work fine but adds to the cost. I guess my point was its a decent size box they can surely find space to fit couple of more ports.

• Advertisement

Ive a few Qs on the Mecool

I read here https://www.wirelesshack.org/review-mecool-km9-pro-android-9-0-tv-box-s905x2-4gb-ram.html that when side-loaded the Netflix app will only play in standard definition and not HD quality. Can anyone confirm if this is correct?

When using the YouTube app directly on the device I cannot fast forward, rewind or jump to a specific point on the video like I can with YouTube on my phone.

Is it better to Cast YouTube from the phone rather than use the app direct?

Thanks for any help.

Advertisement