Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Ush1 wrote: »
    Thanks for that, I'm leaning towards ordering the Mi box S at that price.

I wasn't sure weather to order that or what until the Chromecast Ultra 2 but with this Corona situation that launch might be delayed a while.

Really want Android TV but I'm not a gamer so the Nvidia Shield is overkill.

EDIT: DHgate saying it's out of coupons when trying to use the code.
    There'll be another code. That's the 4th or 5th in about 2 weeks. If I see another I'll post it here.
    Ive a few Qs on the Mecool

I read here https://www.wirelesshack.org/review-mecool-km9-pro-android-9-0-tv-box-s905x2-4gb-ram.html that when side-loaded the Netflix app will only play in standard definition and not HD quality. Can anyone confirm if this is correct?

When using the YouTube app directly on the device I cannot fast forward, rewind or jump to a specific point on the video like I can with YouTube on my phone.

Is it better to Cast YouTube from the phone rather than use the app direct?

Thanks for any help.
    The mediafire version should play HD, there a few modded versions now. Also the version I posted a page or so back should work with any device that has widevine level 1 (the mecool has). That article is from last year. There has been quite a few updates with mods and on the box firmware itself, since then.

I haven't used youtube on it that I remember. Or if I have, haven't tried to skip forward etc.

It has chromecast, so no harm using your phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Just ordered a Mi Box S here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283873697533

For that price, I'm thinking scam but I've used PayPal so said I'd give it a go. 14 euro seems crazy cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

For that price, I'm thinking scam but I've used PayPal so said I'd give it a go. 14 euro seems crazy cheap.

thanks, I bought one as well, lets see what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭DopeTech

kingtiger wrote: »

Only 10 feedbacks in a year. Has to be a scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

DopeTech wrote: »
    Only 10 feedbacks in a year. Has to be a scam.

Paypal protection, so basically risk free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

defo a scam...Only feedback all on the same day for a pendant - all from new buyers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,208 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

yeah a scam id say ordered similar couple of months back, same 10 positive feed back,never turned up, account closed , Paypal refund.

THe DHGate code (DHY40) is still working, so maybe it is limited to the amount per day.
    https://www.dhgate.com/product/xiaomi-mi-box-s-4-android-8-1-4k-hd-quadcore/476419909.html

Suckit wrote: »
    THe DHGate code (DHY40) is still working, so maybe it is limited to the amount per day.
    https://www.dhgate.com/product/xiaomi-mi-box-s-4-android-8-1-4k-hd-quadcore/476419909.html

Thanks I seen your post over the weekend and took a chance on buying one. Even with customs charges it's still not bad value. What's the delivery time usually like with dhgate?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

dh gate has a lot of fake stuff on the site -

• Advertisement

Nowso wrote: »
    dh gate has a lot of fake stuff on the site -

I hope the xiaomi box isn't. The seller has 97% positive feedback.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

DopeTech wrote: »
    I hope the xiaomi box isn't. The seller has 97% positive feedback.

some of the bigger sellers on dhgate sell fake soccer jerseys and they get a good recommendations online not sure what there onsite ratings are

• Registered Users Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭corks finest

some of the bigger sellers on dhgate sell fake soccer jerseys and they get a good recommendations online not sure what there onsite ratings are

Gearbest/ Ali baba and co were all accused of selling iffy products in the past

Gearbest still sell dodgy stuff/fake. Xiaomi scratch off isn't legit etc. They also don't rate their sellers internally, so when issues happen it could be the same seller still buying from the back door, and it can be a sh*tfest trying to get your money back.
    Nowadays it's often just easier (with exceptions like clothes for example) to clone and rebrand instead of faking items.
    Alibaba/Aliexpress clamped down on fake stuff, but the odd time you will still get fakes. I bought a pair of marshall headphones a while back, still working, but definitely fake.
    Amazon often have fake items. I have bought a North Face jacker and a Timberland boots during the sales, and I am pretty sure both are fake. Also some items coming from China are likely fake.
    DHGate have been around longer than Aliexpress, but never bothered to clamp down. You can buy fake products from there due to the Chinese copyright laws (or lack of), but usually you are aware they are fake.
    They will also sometimes mention packaging (in case you want the fake packaging to make it look more legit) - The most fakes they sell are footwear and sports jerseys, but undoubtedly there are many other fakes to be got there. They just aren't as sneaky about it.
    In any case, if you do buy fake items, they can get stopped and you won't get refunded. Currently they have ways of circumventing those checks, but that won't last forever.

After all that sidetracking... :pac: The box and seller seem legit so far. The boxes have been on sale from there with different codes since April and many have already arrived and people seem happy enough with them. I am guessing if they were fake, at least one person would have mentioned it bu now. I haven't heard or seen anyone yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

kingtiger wrote: »

Mine has said it has shipped today with a tracking number.

Gearbest still sell dodgy stuff/fake. Xiaomi scratch off isn't legit etc. They also don't rate their sellers internally, so when issues happen it could be the same seller still buying from the back door, and it can be a sh*tfest trying to get your money back.
    Nowadays it's often just easier (with exceptions like clothes for example) to clone and rebrand instead of faking items.
    Alibaba/Aliexpress clamped down on fake stuff, but the odd time you will still get fakes. I bought a pair of marshall headphones a while back, still working, but definitely fake.
    Amazon often have fake items. I have bought a North Face jacker and a Timberland boots during the sales, and I am pretty sure both are fake. Also some items coming from China are likely fake.
    DHGate have been around longer than Aliexpress, but never bothered to clamp down. You can buy fake products from there due to the Chinese copyright laws (or lack of), but usually you are aware they are fake.
    They will also sometimes mention packaging (in case you want the fake packaging to make it look more legit) - The most fakes they sell are footwear and sports jerseys, but undoubtedly there are many other fakes to be got there. They just aren't as sneaky about it.
    In any case, if you do buy fake items, they can get stopped and you won't get refunded. Currently they have ways of circumventing those checks, but that won't last forever.

After all that sidetracking... :pac: The box and seller seem legit so far. The boxes have been on sale from there with different codes since April and many have already arrived and people seem happy enough with them. I am guessing if they were fake, at least one person would have mentioned it bu now. I haven't heard or seen anyone yet.

Really surprised ref Amazon

Really surprised ref Amazon
    So was I.
    I remember discussing it with my friend in the pub a couple of year ago he had received fake adidas trainers. I was sceptical, and said so. He just said "they are definitely fake".
    Then I received mine a few months later for the jacket, and a few months after that the boots.
    Some more info here
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/amazon-turning-a-blind-eye-to-fake-products-5w6gmfnq2

So was I.
    I remember discussing it with my friend in the pub a couple of year ago he had received fake adidas trainers. I was sceptical, and said so. He just said "they are definitely fake".
    Then I received mine a few months later for the jacket, and a few months after that the boots.
    Some more info here
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/amazon-turning-a-blind-eye-to-fake-products-5w6gmfnq2

FFS when fakes are slipping through Amazon we're in trouble,or they're exceedingly good fakes

• Registered Users Posts: 10,913 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Ugh I came on here to see was there any new Games or stuff I could put on my Phone that looked good and it's all talking. Hate that.

All's I want to see is; -
    1) ....App/Game.
    2) ....App/Game.
    3) ....App/Game.
    4) ....App/Game.

Wrong thread then? Since this thread is isn't for phones at all.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭funnyname

Can someone recomend a box that I can use with my tv that has full access to the google play store? I have a webcam and I want to be able to use it with my tv for skype calls. I've seached through Amazon but not sure which one to get. Thanks

funnyname wrote: »
    Can someone recomend a box that I can use with my tv that has full access to the google play store? I have a webcam and I want to be able to use it with my tv for skype calls. I've seached through Amazon but not sure which one to get. Thanks
    Most boxes will have full access to the play store.

If you buy one that doesn't, you could install Aurora. You can sign in to your own google account or sign in anonymously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Get an official Android TV box like a Mibox or a Nvidia Shield. The Shield is better as it has Ethernet but you can buy a usb Ethernet adapter for a Mibox. You'll also need a usb webcam that supports Android.

Get an official Android TV box like a Mibox or a Nvidia Shield. The Shield is better as it has Ethernet but you can buy a usb Ethernet adapter for a Mibox. You'll also need a usb webcam that supports Android.

Nvidia shield

Nvidia shield

I have one already but unfortunately I can't use Skype/zoom with the webcam on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

I have one already but unfortunately I can't use Skype/zoom with the webcam on it.

You need a webcam that specifically supports Android TV like a Logitech

https://www.wirelesshack.org/what-is-the-best-android-tv-box-usb-camera.html

Surprised

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Can't find the shield TV pro for sale anywhere.

What's a good Android box with Netflix, prime, Disney, ethernet and USB 3 support without extra adapters. I'll only be using it at Full HD but I suppose it should be 4k where supported.

beauf wrote: »
    Can't find the shield TV pro for sale anywhere.

What's a good Android box with Netflix, prime, Disney, ethernet and USB 3 support without extra adapters. I'll only be using it at Full HD but I suppose it should be 4k where supported.

2017 shield is near as good, plenty second hand ones available

I just googled it , Amazon America , straight away first item that popped up

• Advertisement

Surprised

I have a logitec webcam.

Neither skype or zoom supported on Android TV OS, sideloaded skype but wouldn't connect with webcam so that's why I'm thinking if I get an ordinary android box then it'll work as I want. I watched a youtube vid earlier and the reviewer said unfortunately this was the only way to get it to work.

I'm open to other suggestions

Advertisement