Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

Hi,
    I'm trying to connect my Mi Box with an ethernet cable via a Ugreen Ethernet adapter. But I'm never getting the option to connect via ethernet in the settings, only WiFi.
    I would be grateful if someone would explain to me how to do it please.
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

iba wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm trying to connect my Mi Box with an ethernet cable via a Ugreen Ethernet adapter. But I'm never getting the option to connect via ethernet in the settings, only WiFi.
    I would be grateful if someone would explain to me how to do it please.
    Thanks

You don't connect in software, just plug it in. You'll need to disable WiFi and Ethernet should just work

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

Suckit wrote: »
    It is DHL handling fee. I avoid using them whenever possible.

https://www.ukbusinessforums.co.uk/threads/dhl-payment-deferment-risk.404314/

Why would this charge not appear at checkout along with or included in their p+p charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Why would this charge not appear at checkout along with or included in their p+p charge?

Its not the company you bought the box from charging you the fee ,its DHL for processing the customs charge for you.

Awful good of them ,isn't it !

Nothing to do with the seller but a few times I've gotten charged fees I've contacted the seller to see if there anything they can do.
    Gotten a few quid refunded previously.

yabadabado wrote: »
    Its not the company you bought the box from charging you the fee ,its DHL for processing the customs charge for you.

Awful good of them ,isn't it !

Nothing to do with the seller but a few times I've gotten charged fees I've contacted the seller to see if there anything they can do.
    Gotten a few quid refunded previously.

I know Geekbuying are not charging me. I thought DHL would have had an arrangement with Geekbuying or other company that their handling fee would have been included at checkout so that no charges would be hidden.

So your saying DHl charged me for processing my Waybill with Customs. If I hadnt used DHL I would have only had to pay a Vat fee to the local postman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

I know Geekbuying are not charging me. I thought DHL would have had an arrangement with Geekbuying or other company that their handling fee would have been included at checkout so that no charges would be hidden.

So your saying DHl charged me for processing my Waybill with Customs. If I hadnt used DHL I would have only had to pay a Vat fee to the local postman.

No, An Post would also charge you for having to deal with your customs sh1t.

When an item arrives in Ireland and customs are due, the customs guys embedded with An Post ask for a copy of your invoice, based on this they calculate customs and VAT. On delivery, the postman then collects the Customs/VAT and an additional 8/10 euro for handling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

You don't connect in software, just plug it in. You'll need to disable WiFi and Ethernet should just work

Hi,
    Thanks for your reply.
    I disabled WiFi but ethernet connection does not show up.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

An post have a similar charge (theirs is €10).

If you had not used DHL, it is possible it may or may not have slipped through. DHL will always charge you. Try contacting Geekbuying and mentioning that you thought it was the full price when you paid shipping etc..

They may or may not refund the difference.

Hi,
    Thanks for your reply.
    Thanks
    You should see the network connection like this
    https://youtu.be/6M4IyqYGi44?t=170

Hi,
    Thanks for your reply.
    Thanks

Plug the USB adapter into a laptop, disable WiFi and confirm it works

• Advertisement

An post have a similar charge (theirs is €10).

If you had not used DHL, it is possible it may or may not have slipped through. DHL will always charge you. Try contacting Geekbuying and mentioning that you thought it was the full price when you paid shipping etc..

They may or may not refund the difference.

Considering An Post charge as well I won't bother. I'll stick to EU warehouses in future.

Btw you previously mentioned that when the Mecool arrives I should bin the Adapter that comes with it. What's the reason for binning it?

Also will I need to order an Ethernet cable for it?

Considering An Post charge as well I won't bother. I'll stick to EU warehouses in future.

Btw you previously mentioned that when the Mecool arrives I should bin the Adapter that comes with it. What's the reason for binning it?

Also will I need to order an Ethernet cable for it?
    It's pot luck (except with DHL) as to whether or not it gets stopped for tax. Unfortunate that yours did, but I bet it has happened to everyone on this thread at one stage (or most anyway).
    The adaptor plug that they come with are very poor, and have no fuse in them.
    Like this - https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/mFIAAOSwhQhY5KAF/s-l500.jpg
    And not very secure.
    You can use it of course, but I prefer to use one with with a fuse for peace of mind, they are in Dealz for €1.50, or in plenty of other stores (amazon, argos, woodies etc.)

No, an ethernet is not required unless you feel the wifi is a bit too far away and/or you are not getting a good service on it (A lot of buffering/picture breaking up etc.)

It's pot luck (except with DHL) as to whether or not it gets stopped for tax. Unfortunate that yours did, but I bet it has happened to everyone on this thread at one stage (or most anyway).
    The adaptor plug that they come with are very poor, and have no fuse in them.
    Like this - https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/mFIAAOSwhQhY5KAF/s-l500.jpg
    And not very secure.
    You can use it of course, but I prefer to use one with with a fuse for peace of mind, they are in Dealz for €1.50, or in plenty of other stores (amazon, argos, woodies etc.)

No, an ethernet is not required unless you feel the wifi is a bit too far away and/or you are not getting a good service on it (A lot of buffering/picture breaking up etc.)

Thanks for all your help with this. I'll post back with a review of the Mecool in a week or two

The Mecool arrived. I'm going to leave it a few days before using just to be on the safe side regarding Covid.

I'm going to order an Ethernet cable for it .

Would a cheap cable do or does the Mecool box need a higher spec cable.

I'm not going to go with a neteigk contract for Mobile Broadband and have decided to get a router.

There a great Router guide here https://grouptestwinner.com/best-4g-lte-router/nd and the Tp Link 1200 was recommended as a good mid range option.

What's the difference between these two TP Link Archer 1200's

This one costs €48
    https://www.harveynorman.ie/computing/networking-and-connectivity/modems-routers/tp-link-ac1200-wireless-dual-band-gigabit-router-white.html

This one costs €100
    https://www.harveynorman.ie/computing/networking-and-connectivity/modems-routers/tp-link-ac1200-vdsl-adsl-modem-router.html

Lads I'm having trouble setting up the Mecool box.

I'm using my phone as a Hotspot and Google Voice is on. When I say "Ok Google setup my device" the Box is found and I'm asked to confirm a code. After this step the screen says continue on your phone but my phone can't find the Network.

All I see is a list of neighbours WiFi networks. Why doesn't it pick up my Hotspot Network Name?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,431 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

I'm using my phone as a Hotspot and Google Voice is on. When I say "Ok Google setup my device" the Box is found and I'm asked to confirm a code. After this step the screen says continue on your phone but my phone can't find the Network.

All I see is a list of neighbours WiFi networks. Why doesn't it pick up my Hotspot Network Name?

change your hotspot wifi channel n see if it works not all channels are used in different countrys

Nowso wrote: »
    change your hotspot wifi channel n see if it works not all channels are used in different countrys

How do I do that?

Atm my phone and Mecool are paired and my phone hotspot is on but the Mecool can't access the Internet.

This is a terrible way to attempt this. Do you not have a router?

Your phone cannot be on the same network as a device connected to a hotspot and even if you had 2x phones they would not be able to communicate with each other as local forwarding will be blocked.

How do I do that?

Atm my phone and Mecool are paired and my phone hotspot is on but the Mecool can't access the Internet.

go into the hotspot settings of u can find them - make sure your device is visible aswell -

a general 4g moden on payg will work a lot better once u haver usable speeds - i use one when im staying in a friends

• Advertisement

This is a terrible way to attempt this. Do you not have a router?

Your phone cannot be on the same network as a device connected to a hotspot and even if you had 2x phones they would not be able to communicate with each other as local forwarding will be blocked.

I'm waiting on a router. I was going to use my phone's data until then.

I don't see any options in hotspot settings for changing channels.

I'm waiting on a router. I was going to use my phone's data until then.

I don't see any options in hotspot settings for changing channels.

try change from 2.4 to 5ghz or vice versa

Nowso wrote: »
    try change from 2.4 to 5ghz or vice versa

There are no options in settings to do so.

I have an old Huawei e5577c modem and I'm waiting on Three to reactivate an old Three SIM so that I can try it in the modem.

Hopefully that will work.

I got the Mecool set up. I got an old Three sim reactivated and put it in a second phone and I'm using that phone now as a Hotspot.

YouTube works but a lot of other apps don't so I presume I'll need a VPN for those. They either constantly buffer or say there is no internet connection even though YouTube works.

The apps that don't work are
    Google Play Movies
    Hulu
    Hbo
    Fox news
    MLB
    NHL
    Ted
    Sling
    Prime.

Can anyone let me know if I need a VPN and how can I access Boxsets on it and also how do I download the required downloads for Netflix to work.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭BandMember

I got the Mecool set up. I got an old Three sim reactivated and put it in a second phone and I'm using that phone now as a Hotspot.

YouTube works but a lot of other apps don't so I presume I'll need a VPN for those. They either constantly buffer or say there is no internet connection even though YouTube works.

The apps that don't work are
    Google Play Movies
    Hulu
    Hbo
    Fox news
    MLB
    NHL
    Ted
    Sling
    Prime.

Can anyone let me know if I need a VPN and how can I access Boxsets on it and also how do I download the required downloads for Netflix to work.

Thanks

They are not working for you because they are either subscription services and/or are geolocked. Plus, 3 does block a lot of streaming apps (despite people telling you that they don't) and midband is not advisable for any streaming device. You're going to spend a lof of time in Buffer City I'm afraid.......and if you get a VPN it's only going to slow your speeds even further and make you a permanent resident there.

BandMember wrote: »
    They are not working for you because they are either subscription services and/or are geolocked. Plus, 3 does block a lot of streaming apps (despite people telling you that they don't) and midband is not advisable for any streaming device. You're going to spend a lof of time in Buffer City I'm afraid.......and if you get a VPN it's only going to slow your speeds even further and make you a permanent resident there.

I can only get 15gb Fibre TTC so Mobile Broadband is my only option. At least this way I can test Threes coverage before buying a mobile broadband plan. My main phone is Vodafone and speeds ar 80-90mb so I might get their €40pm month mobile broadband plan but it's expensive and less data than Three. Other alternative is Eir who have a 30day SIM only plan for €54 and 750gb.

Regarding the apps:
    Spotify and Prime say update pending but there has been no progress in the last hour or two. Spotify is a free app and I have a Spotify account so why won't it work on the box?

How do I get Netflix to work. Do I download it on the Mecool or cast it from my phone?

Is there any way of viewing Boxsets on it or am I dependant on Prime for those?.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭BandMember

Spotify and Prime say update pending but there has been no progress in the last hour or two.

How do I get Netflix to work. Do I download it on the Mecool or cast it from my phone?

Is there any way of viewing Boxsets on it or am I dependant on Prime for those?.

- Your internet connection is going to cause you a lot of problems here, particularly the way you are connecting to your box.

- You have to sideload it. Read back the thread as it's been mentioned loads of times on here lately. Casting anything is going to reduce the picture quality and defeat the purpose of buying an android box (well, one of the main purposes anyway). Forgive the stupid question, but I'm presuming that you have a Netflix subscription?

- If you want this thread to stay open and abide by the warning in the thread title, then pretty much, yes.

The version of Android that will be running on it is generally self servicing. I wouldn't recommend putting any app cleaner, ram booster or similar on it.
    Don't overload it with loads of apps doing the same things. Apart from that there isn't really much else to taking care of it.

If you mean coronavirus, it has been proven it can't survive the journey from China, but i would still spray and wipe it. It won't do any harm to spray it with dettol and use a wipe. You can spray the box and everything in it without worrying.

It is fine to store it in a cupboard. The only thing really to keep it away from is excessive heat. Not near a radiator or heater etc.
    Netflix and Mecool may have come to an agreement by the time you get it, but if not, download these and install them both without opening them yet
    https://www.mediafire.com/folder/klz83or9tsahs/Netflix_Mecool_KM9_Pro
    Once they are installed, open the black one and then close it/exit when the sign in screen appears, from then on use the white version of Netflix.

I have a Netflix account but cannot sign in on the Mecool box.

Do I download the mediafire files onto my phone or onto the Mecool box?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭.red.

I can only get 15gb Fibre TTC ?.

By 15gb fibre do you mean 15mbps?
    My dad has 15mbps and any wired test I've done has him getting 12ish mbps.
    He's got an Mag 256 box and a sub for it, wired up through homeplugs from the router. Ive the favourites set up with every channel he watches but all on SD (when possible) and he says it will give the very odd buffer but it might be once every few days. Obviously some channels are HD only and on those the buffering is a bit more common but it's still rare enough that everything is watchable.

• Advertisement

I've got Netflix set up now.

I downloaded the mediafire files onto my PC and transferred them to a USB stick.

I then plugged the Usb into the Mecool and went into sideload and opened up the FX App on the Mecool.

Then I clicked on Usb storage and found the mediafire files and installed them and followed Suckits instructions above.

Looking forward to Narcos, Better Call Saul and Derry Girls now :).

Many thanks to everyone who helped with info on Mecool over the last while.

All I need now is to find the best mobile broadband plan. I'll give Three a trial for the next month and go from there.

Btw Vodafone wins hands down for speed in my area.
    Three download speed is 29.9 Mbps
    Vodafone download speed is 141 Mbps

Advertisement