Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

has covid 19 been blown out of all proportion?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Balf

abff wrote: »
    I think the question that needs to be asked is "Is the cure worse than the disease". This is a line has has been peddled on and off by the Donald, but it remains a valid question, although not everyone will have the same set of criteria in evaluating this issue.

I don't know any better than anyone else, but my perception, based on what I've heard, seen and read over the past several weeks is that the benefits from the lockdown have, to date, far exceeded the costs. But there will probably come a point where the answer to this question is not so clearcut and the question then becomes will we act too soon in easing the lockdown or leave it too late.

Again, I don't know the answer to this question and I just hope we get the balance right. But having a fractured approach where some elements of society decide to adhere to the guidelines and others totally ignore them is very unlikely to work.
    I think you put the matter in a fair and balanced way.

For me, I don't think we've experienced the costs yet. Its like we've just signed up for a forty year mortgage on a house, we're delighted to be turning the key on our own gaff because we haven't had to make the first repayment yet and we haven't noticed its built on a floodplain with pyrite in the concrete and it was just the wrong choice.

We do need more consensus. The cooperation everyone showed is terrific, and I'll adhere to restrictions for as long as demanded. But we have to, very seriously and deeply, acknowledge the costs.

How is the GAA going to work with social distance? No GAA until there's a cure? Painting with Prossecco instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Risteard81 wrote: »
    Actually you started it.

Unsurprisngly pathetic strawman

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Glenomra

It's time to remove most of the lockdown restrictions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭hopalongcass

Balf wrote: »
    I think you put the matter in a fair and balanced way.

For me, I don't think we've experienced the costs yet. Its like we've just signed up for a forty year mortgage on a house, we're delighted to be turning the key on our own gaff because we haven't had to make the first repayment yet and we haven't noticed its built on a floodplain with pyrite in the concrete and it was just the wrong choice.

We do need more consensus. The cooperation everyone showed is terrific, and I'll adhere to restrictions for as long as demanded. But we have to, very seriously and deeply, acknowledge the costs.

How is the GAA going to work with social distance? No GAA until there's a cure? Painting with Prossecco instead?

Can't disagree with what you are saying and this spending i have to say it concerns me greatly,specially when i see certain countries bigger and wealthier than us unwilling to pay for these expensive tests.

Everybody has lauded the S.Korea approach but they have tested half of the amount we have with a population multiple times ours.Greece has a population of more than double ours and have bought a fraction of these expensive tests compared to us,they are also a lot closer to Italy than us and are not an Island nation and they seem to be doing fine.Surely being an Island we could have taken a different approach,rather than taking on this absolutely enormous debt we are laying on our future generations.

These countries simply realised they cannot afford to spend so much of their future on these expensive tests,and we have a very naive young government who is being cheered on to dip into the bond market,we seemed to learn nothing from the last bank bailout.Greece obviously have and when this is all said and done,countries like Greece,who didn't spend off a cliff on expensive tests are going to come out this a lot better than us.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Can't disagree with what you are saying and this spending i have to say it concerns me greatly,specially when i see certain countries bigger and wealthier than us unwilling to pay for these expensive tests.

Everybody has lauded the S.Korea approach but they have tested half of the amount we have with a population multiple times ours.Greece has a population of more than double ours and have bought a fraction of these expensive tests compared to us,they are also a lot closer to Italy than us and are not an Island nation and they seem to be doing fine.Surely being an Island we could have taken a different approach,rather than taking on this absolutely enormous debt we are laying on our future generations.

These countries simply realised they cannot afford to spend so much of their future on these expensive tests,and we have a very naive young government who is being cheered on to dip into the bond market,we seemed to learn nothing from the last bank bailout.Greece obviously have and when this is all said and done,countries like Greece,who didn't spend off a cliff on expensive tests are going to come out this a lot better than us.

I absolutely agree with you, Harris is way too young to be in the position he is in, it is very obvious he lacks that perspective you only see in middle aged people...as does Varadkar for that matter...they have the air of class prefects desperate for popularity....

In these critical times, their life inexperience is really bothering me....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,624 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

[quote="Silentcorner;113276679"

In these critical times, their life inexperience is really bothering me....[/quote]

Yes because life experience guarantees a successful handling of this unprecedented situation. Trump is 73 and is making an absolute balls of it while Jacinda Ardern is 39 and has handled it as well as any other leader in the world. You also don't know what life experience Harris or Varakar actually have because you only know about their political experience. It's not the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Glenomra wrote: »

No it's not. Just because people are getting bored doesnt mean we can just remove them otherwise we end up back at square one and everything was a waste of time, we need to reopen when we can and in a way that doesnt cause a surge again, some dont like it but its a hard fact and something that has to be accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Yes because life experience guarantees a successful handling of this unprecedented situation. Trump is 73 and is making an absolute balls of it while Jacinda Ardern is 39 and has handled it as well as any other leader in the world. You also don't know what life experience Harris or Varakar actually have because you only know about their political experience. It's not the same thing.

Harris has been a disaster of a Minister, did you notice his absence from the entire Election campaign? Varadkar has been a disaster as a Leader of FG and even his own constituents didn't give him a quota!!! They are career politicians....so whatever life experience they have on top of that is not helping them or us.

I'd have a lot more faith in the New Zealand system that Jacinda Ardern is in charge of than ours....

The US has 50 different states with different systems within....I'm not sure you can blame only one man for the way that country has responded.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Adam9213

There's probably an invasion coming along any day now, they can conveniently push the dead children killed by UK and British forces back to the last 5 minutes of news where everyone has already flicked over to the Simpsons once they've heard about the 90 year olds who can barely walk tragically taken by the corona virus.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Adam9213 wrote: »
    There's probably an invasion coming along any day now, they can conveniently push the dead children killed by UK and British forces back to the last 5 minutes of news where everyone has already flicked over to the Simpsons once they've heard about the 90 year olds who can barely walk tragically taken by the corona virus.

1e239d.jpg

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It's a very dangerous pandemic. Boris Johnson ended up in intensive care, Mary Lou McDonald says this was the sickest she's ever been. This wouldn't be happening with a regular flu outbreak.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

You dont judge when to remove restrictions based on how bored you feel

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

On what grounds do you hold that expert opinion on?

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

This what bugs me, you could have Covid-19, not be too sick so not only will you never see the inside of a hospital or get a test you will not be sure if what you had was Covid-19. Then a few weeks later you could get Covid-19 again, apparently the antibodies created from your first infection is no guarantee you will not get it twice or more. So you may have had 2 bouts of Covid-19 and be none the wiser that you ever had Covid-19 or not, surely this cannot be good for a person. What damage is it doing to your respiratory system while you are infected with it, not to mention passing it on. The necessity for testing kits both for people that currently have the Virus and people that have had the Virus, got over it and produced antibodies(apparently two different tests) cannot be overstated if only for us to get a factual picture of how widespread this virus is but to know for sure if the medical people working at the coalface are infected or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Strazdas wrote: »
    It's a very dangerous pandemic. Boris Johnson ended up in intensive care, Mary Lou McDonald says this was the sickest she's ever been. This wouldn't be happening with a regular flu outbreak.

The flu I got at Xmas was the sickest I've ever been. doubt that is sufficient evidence it was a very dangerous flu.

Happy4all wrote: »
    The flu I got at Xmas was the sickest I've ever been. doubt that is sufficient evidence it was a very dangerous flu.

Regular flu didnt kill as many in this country over a one month period and there was no lock down.

This is a serious disease and if we dont manage it, there be alot more dead

Strazdas wrote: »

Boris was in intensive care but he was perfectly fine, that was just a precaution because he's such an important figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

"Intensive care" and "perfectly fine" are two things I never thought would go together.

Turtwig wrote: »
    "Intensive care" and "perfectly fine" are two things I never thought would go together.

Well as perfectly fine as any average person with the corona virus, he just got special treatment cause he's a special person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

I absolutely agree with you, Harris is way too young to be in the position he is in, it is very obvious he lacks that perspective you only see in middle aged people...as does Varadkar for that matter...they have the air of class prefects desperate for popularity....

In these critical times, their life inexperience is really bothering me....

I would have thought being a qualified medical doctor during a global pandemic, would be the sort of life experience you would WANT in your leader?

And yes, Boris and Trump with their YEARS of 'life experience' are handling it better... oh... wait...

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    I would have thought being a qualified medical doctor during a global pandemic, would be the sort of life experience you would WANT in your leader?

And yes, Boris and Trump with their YEARS of 'life experience' are handling it better... oh... wait...

Yes exactly that's just what we need in a leader, one with some medical experience🀔

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Boris was in intensive care but he was perfectly fine, that was just a precaution because he's such an important figure.

Thanks for that insight into modern medical procedures. Yeah I'm sure you end up in intensive care if you're just fine. Jaysus.

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Thanks for that insight into modern medical procedures. Yeah I'm sure you end up in intensive care if you're just fine. Jaysus.

Hmm don't know what to say to you anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Long_Wave

I think it's kinda funny that this very time say 6 months ago , Irish people were saying Ireland should be like Sweden because of their childcare/heathcare/liberal abortion etc etc, at the same time people were saying that Borris/the torries/the Brits in general were a disaster and destroying themselves but then we ended up copying the Brits lockdown about 24/48 hours after Borris announced his one.

Long_Wave wrote: »
    I think it's kinda funny that this very time say 6 months ago , Irish people were saying Ireland should be like Sweden because of their childcare/heathcare/liberal abortion etc etc, at the same time people were saying that Borris/the torries/the Brits in general were a disaster and destroying themselves but then we ended up copying the Brits lockdown about 24/48 hours after Borris announced his one.

Ireland is a monkey, monkey see monkey do.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,580 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

He was put on oxygen. That's not being perfectly fine.

He wasn't critically ill but he wasn't 'perfectly fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,427 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Ireland is a monkey, monkey see monkey do.

Shut up monkey. You silly silly child. Go play with your Lego or something.

Long_Wave wrote: »

We went into the first lockdown a week before the uk. We then tightened it. UK went down the Sweden role and then did a u turn.

We are not copying the uk, we have a better test coverage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

This what bugs me, you could have Covid-19, not be too sick so not only will you never see the inside of a hospital or get a test you will not be sure if what you had was Covid-19. Then a few weeks later you could get Covid-19 again, apparently the antibodies created from your first infection is no guarantee you will not get it twice or more.

There's no concrete evidence of that yet. The WHO stated there's no evidence to the contrary either, but are currently backtracking on that.

Advertisement