Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

has covid 19 been blown out of all proportion?

Options
  • 23-04-2020 5:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭

First off I have followed all the restrictions and I am also and essential worker.

Nearly 1'000 people dead that is very sad and the situation in elderly and care homes is very bad not saying otherwise the very people who needed to be protected don't seem to have benefited from this lockdown.

I am still working away so I have my wages so this crisis has not cost me anything so I have not started this thread for selfish reasons I also have elderly folks so I do worry about them.

However under 1'000 dead we got warnings of upwards of 100'000 dead I think it is pretty safe to say that number now looks way over the top.

This lockdown has wreaked the economy and did we need to close schools?

At the start of all this I was going for people who said this only hits the old as every life counts.

Knowing what we know not MY OPINION is we should have totally locked down the care homes staff should have been isolated with the residents.

As for the rest of us the virus should have just been let run it's course.

The one group we said this was for have been totally let down.

This is a discussion forum I have offered my opinion and asked others to share their please do not attack me if you do not agree.:)

Edit remember this?

Screenshot-2020-04-23-at-19-24-52.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

However under 1'000 dead we got warnings of upwards of 100'000 dead I think it is pretty safe to say that number now looks way over the top.

That is precisely BECAUSE of the precautions taken

If a quarter of stories what come out of italy are true,then lockdown was worth it

They have a vastly superior health service to us,and it collasped under strain of this virus

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

First off I have followed all the restrictions and I am also and essential worker.

Nearly 1'000 people dead that is very sad and the situation in elderly and care homes is very bad not saying otherwise the very people who needed to be protected don't seem to have benefited from this lockdown.

I am still working away so I have my wages so this crisis has not cost me anything so I have not started this thread for selfish reasons I also have elderly folks so I do worry about them.

This lockdown has wreaked the economy and did we need to close schools?

At the start of all this I was going for people who said this only hits the old as every life counts.

Knowing what we know not MY OPINION is we should have totally locked down the care homes staff should have been isolated with the residents.

The one group we said this was for have been totally let down.

This is a discussion forum I have offered my opinion and asked others to share their please do not attack me if you do not agree.:)
    Define “essential” worker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

cian68 wrote: »

So it's 100 times less because of the lockdown?

Sweden seems to be getting along ok without the lockdown.

sullivlo wrote: »
    Define “essential” worker.

Supplying food for your dinner table.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Supplying food for your dinner table.
    Do you have any significant contact with the general public?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,993 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

How many times does this need to be stated???

Re Sweden, I've come to the conclusion that comparison with other countries is largely meaningless due to the wildly different manners of collecting and reporting numbers. And that's before differences in population distribution, state of health services, age profile of the population, etc etc.

Prevention is better than cure, especially as there isn't a vaccine available yet.

Do you have any significant contact with the general public?

Just other workers a few of them have had the virus and are now back at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Cockadoodledoo

It’s fine to say staff should have been isolated with the elderly in the care homes but those staff have families to go home to as well. When would they ever get to leave?

It’s not healthy for someone to be at work long term especially in these worrying and challenging conditions.

Even if there was a lockdown, I could carry the virus and not know so it will get in anyway.

A lockdown in a nursing home isn’t the solution.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Balf

Would we handle Covid 20 like this?

I doubt it, if there's any sense in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I attended the funeral today of a family member who died from Covid. I have another family member ill with it who may not recover. Both otherwise in good health if the wrong side of 60. I don't believe this has been overestimated. Observe social distancing, wash your hands and protect yourself and others

It’s fine to say staff should have been isolated with the elderly in the care homes but those staff have families to go home to as well. When would they ever get to leave?

It’s not healthy for someone to be at work long term especially in these worrying and challenging conditions.

Even if there was a lockdown, I could carry the virus and not know so it will get in anyway.

A lockdown isn’t the solution.

I am openly asking questions we are allowed to do that still.

Children do not seem to really get hit by this thing but the schools are closed to stop the spread and protect the elderly?

The elderly in the care homes are being hit hard by this thing the very group this was suppose to protect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Best laugh of the day was Alan Kelly, yes Mr. Irish Water, a rail line costing €600 per passenger in subvention and diddly squat else, telling Leo Vradkar, a trained doctor, that he thought the NPHET were calling the shots.

“Ultimate decision making cannot be in the hands of a few and elected office cannot be subservient even in this crisis.”

Eh yes they are Alan, and rightly so. This thing has killed 2.6m people and you want a bunch of teachers in charge? Dr. Tony Holohan and his team, as well as the entire health service have done a great job to date, thankfully they making the decisions with the health of our nation at risk, not some idiot from Tipp who has made a career out of being a politician.

Just other workers a few of them have had the virus and are now back at work.
    Good stuff.

I am a teacher. In any one day I would have close contact with over 120 students (30 in the room for 40 minutes) and contact with other staff. Even before the lockdown I was in contact with a close contact of patient zero. I was ****ting a brick because I am also a carer for an elderly, vulnerable relative. Within our school community we have had 4 deaths of close family relatives of staff/students. We aren’t a big school.

This is a very infectious disease. Just because you are in a position to not need the lockdown, thousands of people aren’t.

eviltwin wrote: »
    I attended the funeral today of a family member who died from Covid. I have another family member ill with it who may not recover. Both otherwise in good health if the wrong side of 60. I don't believe this has been overestimated. Observe social distancing, wash your hands and protect yourself and others

I am sorry for your loss and I hope your family member makes a full recovery most people do.

I have been keeping my distance from everybody and washing my hards using sanitiser and not touching my face.

In work all of us take our breaks on our own.

I also knew a person who had died with this virus however he had many other health problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭endainoz

I'm gong to go out on a limb here and say OP is a farmer, who is giving the rest of us a bad name with horrendous grammar.

Your opinion is noted but I disagree with it, this has not been blown out of proportion. We took precautions and we are now seeing the results of it.

As farmers we are lucky to be allowed to continue to work relatively unaffected, others are not so lucky.

It all really depends on what people this is more important, the economy or the lives of vunerable people? America is currently debating that thought itself, it will not end well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,854 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Re Sweden, they're a famously standoffish culture; I was seeing memes posted by swedes of social distancing in other cultures with the comment basically 'is this not normal life in Sweden?'

Comparing like with like, to a larger extent - Sweden had had something like five times the per capita death rate of Norway.

Good stuff.

I am a teacher. In any one day I would have close contact with over 120 students (30 in the room for 40 minutes) and contact with other staff. Even before the lockdown I was in contact with a close contact of patient zero. I was ****ting a brick because I am also a carer for an elderly, vulnerable relative. Within our school community we have had 4 deaths of close family relatives of staff/students. We aren’t a big school.

This is a very infectious disease. Just because you are in a position to not need the lockdown, thousands of people aren’t.

I have elderly parents whom live in contact with me and believe me I have been very nervous.

I was very worried when a few people went out sick however they are back now and this dose not seem to be spreading in my workplace.

This virus has killed people and it will kill more people however not at the level we feared or so it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

You MAY be correct, but it might also be reasonably unimportant (I'm not stating my own view here).

You need to do comparisons between groups that did introduce a lockdown and groups that did not enforce a lockdown for anything close to a reasonable basis for explaining if it was excessive action or appropriate action. You could state that the lockdown helped keep the number of people in Ireland being killed by bears low also.

Of course the possible response to that statement could be the plea to emotion such as "tell that to those who have lost a family member", but ideally we stay away from such tactics. That's not to say that a prudent approach is the wrong move, particularly in the early stages, but at some point we will have enough information about the virus to make a judgment on the original very bleak predictions of death totals.

HeidiHeidi makes a great point (one that I agree with) that international comparisons are almost meaningless for the reasons stated in the post.

There's room for a reasonable conversation on the subject rather than flying to the safety of keeping the level of deaths down as close to zero as possible regardless of the knock-on effects.

• Advertisement

I have elderly parents whom live in contact with me and believe me I have been very nervous.

I was very worried when a few people went out sick however they are back now and this dose not seem to be spreading in my workplace.

This virus has killed people and it will kill more people however not at the level we feared or so it seems.[/QUOTE]

Because of the precautions and measures taken! How can you not see or acknowledge that? :confused:

Sweden seems to be getting along ok without the lockdown.

Does it?
    In what way do you think?

endainoz wrote: »
    It all really depends on what people this is more important, the economy or the lives of vunerable people? America is currently debating that thought itself, it will not end well.

This virus is running rampant in nursing and care homes I agree vulnerable people need to be protected however this does not seem to be working out too well in that regard.

ligerdub wrote: »
    You MAY be correct, but it might also be reasonably unimportant (I'm not stating my own view here).

You need to do comparisons between groups that did introduce a lockdown and groups that did not enforce a lockdown for anything close to a reasonable basis for explaining if it was excessive action or appropriate action. You could state that the lockdown helped keep the number of people in Ireland being killed by bears low also.

Of course the possible response to that statement could be the plea to emotion such as "tell that to those who have lost a family member", but ideally we stay away from such tactics. That's not to say that a prudent approach is the wrong move, particularly in the early stages, but at some point we will have enough information about the virus to make a judgment on the original very bleak predictions of death totals.

HeidiHeidi makes a great point (one that I agree with) that international comparisons are almost meaningless for the reasons stated in the post.

There's room for a reasonable conversation on the subject rather than flying to the safety of keeping the level of deaths down as close to zero as possible regardless of the knock-on effects.

I think the primary aim of keeping the level of infections down via the measures taken was to make sure that our (poorly equipped in comparison to most of the rest of Europe) health services weren't overwhelmed, leading to otherwise unnecessary deaths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Best laugh of the day was Alan Kelly, yes Mr. Irish Water, a rail line costing €600 per passenger in subvention and diddly squat else, telling Leo Vradkar, a trained doctor, that he thought the NPHET were calling the shots.

“Ultimate decision making cannot be in the hands of a few and elected office cannot be subservient even in this crisis.”

Eh yes they are Alan, and rightly so. This thing has killed 2.6m people and you want a bunch of teachers in charge? Dr. Tony Holohan and his team, as well as the entire health service have done a great job to date, thankfully they making the decisions with the health of our nation at risk, not some idiot from Tipp who has made a career out of being a politician.

Curious where did you get the global (I assume global) death toll from? Because it's bull**** tbh.
    Dr Holohan and his team have done a sh*t job when it comes to nursing homes and long term care homes as these two settings are where the vast majority of the deaths occurred todate.

This virus has killed people and it will kill more people however not at the level we feared or so it seems.
    It’s not spreading because they are recovered. It’s not spreading because they isolated

Many young people are asymptomatic. Meaning they can have the infection and not know. You’re great at washing your hands and not touching your face. Have you ever tried that with a person with dementia? Or a teenage girl? People were spreading this infection without realising it.

This is why lockdown was needed. Is it a pain? Yes. But it is saving countless lives.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

This virus has killed people and it will kill more people however not at the level we feared or so it seems.[/QUOTE]

Because of the precautions and measures taken! How can you not see or acknowledge that? :confused:

The restrictions that have been put into place I have followed to the letter.
    I also believe everybody should be doing the same.

I am posting my opinion here based on what I am seeing asking questions and offering and opinion is what a free an open society is all about.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Eh yes they are Alan, and rightly so. This thing has killed 2.6m people and you want a bunch of teachers in charge?
    It has not killed 2.6 million people! That's the total number of cases of which 186,000 have died. Still a very high number but not 2.6 million.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

The restrictions that have been put into place I have followed to the letter.
    I also believe everybody should be doing the same.

I am posting my opinion here based on what I am seeing asking questions and offering and opinion is what a free an open society is all about.
    And I am questioning and rebutting (some of) those opinions.

• Advertisement

Curious where did you get the global (I assume global) death toll from? Because it's bull**** tbh.
    Dr Holohan and his team have done a sh*t job when it comes to nursing homes and long term care homes as these two settings are where the vast majority of the deaths occurred todate.

Exactly my point.

Advertisement