Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

has covid 19 been blown out of all proportion?

Options

Comments

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Mod: @hopalongcass, @DubInMeath - drop it please.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,127 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

We had a civil back and forth and you decided to have a thinly veiled dig under the isn't anything personal and then the personal dig.I'm a big boy i can deal with it,but don't expect to not have it bounced back at you.

Stick him on your ignore list I had to, he's constantly coming in with little digs, best off ignored he'll only wind you up and follow you from thread to thread.
    Thankfully if he sees this I won't see his reply, just click on his username and you'll see an option to add to your ignore list, he really is a pest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cryptocurrency

Ventura County's coronavirus death toll increased to 16 on Thursday as county officials reported two additional deaths, including a 37-year-old man.

The man died as a result of a drug overdose while infected with COVID-19, a significant contributing condition, according to county spokeswoman Ashley Bautista. He is the youngest victim to die from the virus yet in the county. The other death recorded Thursday was a 99-year-old man.

Also, http://www.drugs.ie/resources/covid/overdose_awareness_during_covid_19_pandemic/

Man dies of overdose after testing positive for covid19

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Only in Ireland do we complain our hospitals never reached crisis point like in Italy, China, Netherlands, Spain and New York

This point cannot be over emphasised. The whole point was not to overwhelm our limited health system at the one time. The point of the measures taken seems to have been lost by a lot of people. The whole idea was to be able to prevent mass contagion at once, slow it down and be able to deal with it over a longer period of time.

Instead we have people presenting numbers with emotional detachment as if they are disposable commodities rather than the lives of people whilst also ignoring the effects of control measures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭DubCount

STB. wrote: »
    … autistically presenting numbers ...

Maybe a different selection of words might be more appropriate.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

DubCount wrote: »
    Maybe a different selection of words might be more appropriate.....

Fair point, and edited.

It was not meant as a derogative term towards those that are autistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,407 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

No I do I think it has been blown out of proportion OP.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,798 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

STB. wrote: »
    Fair point, and edited.

It was not meant as a derogative term towards those that are autistic.

I think it was a perfect comment on the deplorable attitudes of those who think this is all a big joke or some kind of conspiracy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭abff

Maybe not directly relevant to the thread title, but can anyone clarify the restrictions placed on leaving the home for the purpose of exercise? My understanding is that you must stay within a 2km radius of your residence, but I’m not aware of any restriction on the number of times you can exercise each day.

I saw an article online saying that you can only go out for exercise purposes once a day, but I was not aware that this restriction applies in Ireland, although I know that some other countries have such a restriction in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,427 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Adam9213 wrote: »
    You probably carry on like this everyday and have never received a single infraction, I can tell you're the type of guy who sits in front of the TV nodding violently and believing everything you hear on the news then you come online see something that goes against what that guy with the serious looking face on TV said and call them crazy conspiracy theorists.

I’ve received several temp bans and infractions. One just last week.
    You don’t however get one for calling someone an idiot who is clearly trolling or just a complete idiot.
    Your comments across all the threads you’ve posted on clearly show your lack of maturity.

• Advertisement

abff wrote: »
    Maybe not directly relevant to the thread title, but can anyone clarify the restrictions placed on leaving the home for the purpose of exercise? My understanding is that you must stay within a 2km radius of your residence, but I’m not aware of any restriction on the number of times you can exercise each day.

I saw an article online saying that you can only go out for exercise purposes once a day, but I was not aware that this restriction applies in Ireland, although I know that some other countries have such a restriction in place.

You are correct on the government website it does not say the number of times you can exercise each day.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/cf9b0d-new-public-health-measures-effective-now-to-prevent-further-spread-o/#the-only-reasons-you-can-leave-your-home

2 kilometres of your house. You cannot exercise with people from outside your household

I took this as you can do 2km laps if you wish. Plus a lot of experts seem to say that you can only catch covid19 if you are less than 2m beside an individual for about 15mins. So if you running past someone or walking past someone you can't get it. That is my take on it anyway.

But then Cycling Ireland says - "take brief individual physical exercise within your locality, which may include children from your household within 2 kilometres of your home and adhering to strict 2 metre social distancing measures".

What is brief though? To one person it could be 90mins another it could be 30mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭mulbot

You are correct on the government website it does not say the number of times you can exercise each day.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/cf9b0d-new-public-health-measures-effective-now-to-prevent-further-spread-o/#the-only-reasons-you-can-leave-your-home

2 kilometres of your house. You cannot exercise with people from outside your household

I took this as you can do 2km laps if you wish. Plus a lot of experts seem to say that you can only catch covid19 if you are less than 2m beside an individual for about 15mins. So if you running past someone or walking past someone you can't get it. That is my take on it anyway.

But then Cycling Ireland says - "take brief individual physical exercise within your locality, which may include children from your household within 2 kilometres of your home and adhering to strict 2 metre social distancing measures".

What is brief though? To one person it could be 90mins another it could be 30mins.

Did anyone see that news segment last night-showed a huge number of people doing some group dancing. Is this allowed?

mulbot wrote: »
    Did anyone see that news segment last night-showed a huge number of people doing some group dancing. Is this allowed?

Yes but there being stupid. A lone surfer isn't allowed in the Atlantic but as long as there within 2km of their house they can have street party if keeping their distance as long as there's less than 5000 of them.

Yes but there being stupid. A lone surfer isn't allowed in the Atlantic but as long as there within 2km of their house they can have street party if keeping their distance as long as there's less than 5000 of them.

? But it says that you can't exercise with people outside your household. ,So are you saying then technically someone can go running with a group of 50 people as long as they keep physical distance?

? But it says that you can't exercise with people outside your household. ,So are you saying then technically someone can go running with a group of 50 people as long as they keep physical distance?

Plus if you look at the clip some people are going near others to record them on phones.

https://www.independent.ie/videos/irish-news/dublin-community-lifts-spirits-with-massive-social-distanced-dance-39158055.html

Plus after it was over did they stagger re-entry to houses or did all the kids just tear in?

Plus if you look at the clip some people are going near others to record them on phones.

https://www.independent.ie/videos/irish-news/dublin-community-lifts-spirits-with-massive-social-distanced-dance-39158055.html

Plus after it was over did they stagger re-entry to houses or did all the kids just tear in?

Yep. I just found it odd for Rte to show it as they did. Most of prog about keeping distance etc, then this at the end just seemed to contradict it all. And it was presented as if it was fine to do.

Yep. I just found it odd for Rte to show it as they did. Most of prog about keeping distance etc, then this at the end just seemed to contradict it all. And it was presented as if it was fine to do.

The local fitness fella that set it up said he had 3m distances marked out in fairness. Seems well intentioned. It is grand with auld wans in the front of thier house participating and the like. But I saw a lot of kids there. Kids being kids are not going to maintain a distance?

The local fitness fella that set it up said he had 3m distances marked out in fairness. Seems well intentioned. It is grand with auld wans in the front of thier house participating and the like. But I saw a lot of kids there. Kids being kids are not going to maintain a distance?

Yes definitely not 3 metres. So this is allowed then? Can a group of other people exercising then do the same, like cycling together but maintain distance,. I thought under the Gov. Ie you can't gather with those outside the household

Yes definitely not 3 metres. So this is allowed then? Can a group of other people exercising then do the same, like cycling together but maintain distance,. I thought under the Gov. Ie you can't gather with those outside the household

Bit of a grey area alright. Had mixed feelings when I saw that dancing clip to be honest A1 for initiative. But practically I was not so sure about it.

I found a more detailed link in the gov.ie site about exercise -

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/5a4293-staying-active-during-covid-19/

"Here are a few tips to ensure you get the exercise you need while keeping safe:

current advice states that you can go no more than 2 kilometres from your home and maintain social distancing of 2 metres from other people who aren’t your household members."

So it seems it is permitted as long as the 2m distance is maintained with non household members. Only household members can gather closer than this distance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,334 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭hopalongcass

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfLVxx_lBLU&t=418s

I'd appreciate if everyone would have a gander at this and this give their opinion,should be a bit of an eye opener for some.

I'd appreciate if everyone would have a gander at this and this give their opinion,should be a bit of an eye opener for some.

Have watched this yesterday. Very very good information.

But he is extrapolating based on numbers that may be inaccurate. Does it include care homes and so on? Also the stagger period after each number of deaths get processed.

It all sounds very Trumpesque playing with numbers. Remember this is the country where the leader who not so long ago said only 15 are dead and we have it under control etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

Bit of a jump to assume the same percentage positive who are tested extrapolates out to the whole population who didn't have symptoms/get tested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭hopalongcass

But he is extrapolating based on numbers that may be inaccurate. Does it include care homes and so on? Also the stagger period after each number of deaths get processed.

It all sounds very Trumpesque playing with numbers. Remember this is the country where the leader who not so long ago said only 15 are dead and we have it under control etc.

Did you watch the whole video? The secondary effects he sees it causing from people out of work? The fact Cocooning and constantly sterilizing and overwashing our hands weakens our immune systems.

Its common sense,i already felt this to be true myself and now i have an expert who has dedicated his life to this exact subject saying that same thing.

He is but he's confirming the same trend in other countries, we also have the same trend with RO. The sample size is large enough to call it more than a coincidence.

Did you watch the whole video? The secondary effects he sees it causing from people out of work? The fact Cocooning and constantly sterilizing and overwashing our hands weakens our immune systems.

Its common sense,i already felt this to be true myself and now i have an expert who has dedicated his life to this exact subject saying that same thing.

I did that is just playing to gallery in my view. Domestic abuse, suicide, alcoholism etc. These are always going to be issues!

You asked for people to give their opinion, so here goes my initial reaction. I listened to a couple of minutes. I found the change in volume depending on who was speaking a bit off-putting, but I might try to watch the whole thing later.

One thing that struck me straight away was the fact that the guy on camera was extrapolating from tests to date and the fact that 39% of those tested were positive for COVID-19. He said that this was based on a very large sample (close to 500,000 IIRC) and that the figures therefore are statistically significant and that it was possible to conclude from this that up to 7.5 million people in New York (the state, not just the city) are infected.

Maybe this was clarified later in the discussion, but I felt I had to stop at this point as I felt the conclusion he was drawing was ludicrous. It is logical to assume that the people who were tested were those who were thought to be most likely to have the virus. Therefore they are not in any way representative of the population as a whole.

The numbers are still scary, but can someone confirm whether or not this point came up later in the discussion.

• Advertisement

Sorry, I see that several people have already made the same point as I just made. That's what I get for spending a few minutes listening to the video and then replying without looking to see if anyone else had commented on it.

Anyway, if he's an apologist for Trump, I don't want to hear any more.

Advertisement