Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

has covid 19 been blown out of all proportion?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Adam9213

pjohnson wrote: »
    There must be a hole in the fence.

I fùcking told Beasty using hamsters to keep the site running would bite us in the ass. Now the conspirators are in the wild.

What conspiracy theories are you guys referring to?

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭GreenandRed

Adam9213 wrote: »
    I can't even understand what the second half of your means, please edit it so I can reply.

Get one of your other accounts to try reading it.

Lol and you're calling people kids your grammar is worse than a Japanese foreign exchange students, I can't even understand half your posts.

I'm not one to correct things like that who cares we're on a Internet forum but man yours is so bad I can't even understand half your posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭snowcat

bubblypop wrote: »
    Sweden have over 2000 deaths, compared to their near neighbours, Finland & Norway have less then 200.
    Bit I believe there is a whole thread dedicated to Sweden, for some reason

Denmark has relaxed its lockdown now because they have reduced figures because of their lockdown. The question is what difference it has made long term as they are now back at square one, Sweden at least after suffering more in the short term looks like it will be more prepared long term with greater herd immunity.

• Advertisement

I'm not one to correct things like that who cares we're on a Internet forum but man yours is so bad I can't even understand half your posts.

'Knowing what we know not MY OPINION is we should have totally locked down the care homes staff should have been isolated with the residents.'

How would you propose they could do that, seeing as many staff have families that depend on them. Homes have beds for residents only, very few would have many extra beds for staff to sleep in. Workers there work on shift rotation and their numbers eceed the number of residents. So how do you propose staff would have been isolated with residents?

Are you dyslexic, or a child?

'Knowing what we know not MY OPINION is we should have totally locked down the care homes staff should have been isolated with the residents.'

How would you propose they could do that, seeing as many staff have families that depend on them. Homes have beds for residents only, very few would have many extra beds for staff to sleep in. Workers there work on shift rotation and their numbers eceed the number of residents. So how do you propose staff would have been isolated with residents?

Are you dyslexic, or a child?

Good job skipping back a few posts for your example😂

Good job skipping back a few posts for your example��

Show's how clueless you are. You're a shi+strirrer and a bullshi++er. That's 10 levels below a Junior C troll. Spending your time creating accounts here in an attempt to wind people up. More than sad.

Show's how clueless you are. You're a shi+strirrer and a bullshi++er. That's 10 levels below a Junior C troll. Spending your time creating accounts here in an attempt to wind people up. More than sad.

I'm not trolling I copied and pasted what you said a couple posts back because I knew you would edit it once I mentioned it here it is

"Posters who started a new account today are a good example. I wonder many accout some peple have? I'm a massive assumption there, mind you, but probably close than someone asuming someeone stays at home believeing everything they see on telly".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭mulbot

Wtf.
    On rte news just now, seemingly not a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭hopalongcass

DubInMeath wrote: »
    As for critical thinking a lot of people are capable of doing so, but bias does creep in same thing is occurring with some AI implementations due to bias in the base data.

Most people are also pretty good at spotting trolls, sock puppets, reregs etc after while because they are so predictable.

Honestly i find this whole "troll"stuff childish,i believe most people on boards are adults,but when i hear adults bringing out the troll accusations,it makes me cringe.

Do you really believe there is an epidemic of grown adults making multiple boards account for the sole purpose of annoying you.

The self importance of some people here actually believing anyone is going to so much trouble to just annoy them,maybe they just have an opinion they would like to voice,that disagrees with yours and they would like to air it without being insulted.

At this point i am not sure if people actually believe in this whole "troll' nonsense or whether its just a vehicle to shut down an opposing voice that strays into their online echo chamber.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭zvone

Well as perfectly fine as any average person with the corona virus, he just got special treatment cause he's a special person.

We not living in society with "special persons". My special persons is my family members. Everybody have they own special persons. When somebody come to hospital, he need to be treat like Special Person as well.
    Anyway about this corona crisis is very hard to take stand. To much informations now is worse then no informations. One hour I spend watching videos from one side and it's looks like - this whole corona situation is big lie, somebody just pushing his own agenda with this. Then watch videos from other side - we need more restrictions, we need higher level of lock down.
    Is it possible that both sides are lying? Where is the truth? Politicians are lying, journalists are lying, conspiracy theorists lying.... how to get the truth?
    Blessed Stone Age.

Honestly i find this whole "troll"stuff childish,i believe most people on boards are adults,but when i hear adults bringing out the troll accusations,it makes me cringe.

Do you really believe there is an epidemic of grown adults making multiple boards account for the sole purpose of annoying you.

The self importance of some people here actually believing anyone is going to so much trouble to just annoy them,maybe they just have an opinion they would like to voice,that disagrees with yours and they would like to air it without being insulted.

At this point i am not sure if people actually believe in this whole "troll' nonsense or whether its just a vehicle to shut down an opposing voice that strays into their online echo chamber.

One or two regular trolls on here but the accounts get caught early.

Doesn't take multiple persons, most are the same person different accounts. A hacker that I know from the states decided for a laugh to try and determine the number of sock puppet accounts on a CT forum by taking ten separate threads on there as a sample. Of the ten threads 75% of the accounts were run by three different people.

As for creating an echo chamber, people being sheep etc, those normally going on like this don't deal to well when they are shown that their argument is not factual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Doesn't take multiple persons, most are the same person different accounts. A hacker that I know from the states decided for a laugh to try and determine the number of sock puppet accounts on a CT forum by taking ten separate threads on there as a sample. Of the ten threads 75% of the accounts were run by three different people.

Was that r/Conspiracy on Reddit by any chance? The manipulation there is so obvious it's laughable and has ruined a once solid Subreddit

As for creating an echo chamber, people being sheep etc, those normally going on like this don't deal to well when they are shown that their argument is not factual.

I suppose "shut up monkey" as was quoted by a poster a few pages back is showing up their argument as false?

Then the poster he insulted gets the warning,this place definitely has the air of an echo chamber for pro establishment people.

I am all for people countering someones posts with facts and healthy debate,but it seems more of the insults come from the pro establishment posters with plenty of support from the mods as proven on this thread only a page or two back.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

I suppose "shut up monkey" as was quoted by a poster a few pages back is showing up their argument as false?

That was a response to the following comment:

"Ireland is a monkey, monkey see monkey do"

What sort of response would you expect to that kind of gibberish?

That was a response to the following comment:

"Ireland is a monkey, monkey see monkey do"

What sort of response would you expect to that kind of gibberish?

That is not a personal insult to anybody,i don't know how you cannot see the difference,there is an enormous difference between the two.One is a personal insult the other is while maybe brash,is just political commentary,no personal attack on any poster.

Again its funny you are almost proving my point by calling his post gibberish its a fair comment to make,and again another pro establishment figure like yourself can't wait to throw out the insults,no doubt you will be backed by the mods.

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Was that r/Conspiracy on Reddit by any chance? The manipulation there is so obvious it's laughable and has ruined a once solid Subreddit

No more of an enthusiast type site, easier to get stuff through the filters when most are left on the defaults or poorly configured.

The thing is that imo, it's hard for a person to hide their mannerisms, they eventually give the person away.
    That and a lot of them post stuff like it's from a script or argument that they read and repeat it with just a slight variations.

Then the poster he insulted gets the warning,this place definitely has the air of an echo chamber for pro establishment people.

I am all for people countering someones posts with facts and healthy debate,but it seems more of the insults come from the pro establishment posters with plenty of support from the mods as proven on this thread only a page or two back.

Take it up with the mods, stupid comment to an even stupidier comment in reply to a factually incorrect statement regarding following the U.K. response.

Also and this isn't anything personal, but I wouldn't waste my time or bandwidth on a site if it's moderators or contributors offended my sensibilities either by being factual or offensive in some way or any other way, life's to short.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,347 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

We have heard how some hospitals are half empty in Ireland, here's a totally empty one in the UK, after being opened to much fanfare recently.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-52430855

Now I appreciate that it's good news that it's not needed but perhaps they were over estimating the number who were going to need hospitalization?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

NIMAN wrote: »
    We have heard how some hospitals are half empty in Ireland, here's a totally empty one in the UK, after being opened to much fanfare recently.

Now I appreciate that it's good news that it's not needed but perhaps they were over estimating the number who were going to need hospitalization?

The City West hotel in Dublin and one other large space (can't remember) that the government paid to take over has a rental agreement in place till December 31st (source RTE Primetime)

Perhaps they still think a wave 2 is to come this Winter. The HSE worker doing the AMA on here says he believes 80% of the fatalities will be in a Winter wave 2

I really fcuking hope we've a handle on treating this with new or existing drugs before then

• Registered Users Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    I really fcuking hope we've a handle on treating this with new or existing drugs before then

Unlikely to be new drugs by then but at that stage I hope that given they'll have had the guts of a years experience of dealing with the thing that the chances of survival will be better (and also that they've PPE coming out the wazoo by then).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

NIMAN wrote: »

And so what if they did overestimate? Better than underestimate surely. Things have gone better than expected

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

Renting an exhibition centre and fitting it out with beds and calling it a hospital doesn’t mean it’s all that expensive relative to a real hospital.

They’re basically just overflow field hospitals in reality. Being in proper buildings, rather than an actual field, makes life easier for all involved.

Take it up with the mods, stupid comment to an even stupidier comment in reply to a factually incorrect statement regarding following the U.K. response.

Also and this isn't anything personal, but I wouldn't waste my time or bandwidth on a site if it's moderators or contributors offended my sensibilities either by being factual or offensive in some way or any other way, life's to short.

I don't care about taking anything up with the mods,i was merely pointing out how incorrect you are about who it is that gets vexed more often when they hear facts they don't like.

Also it wasn't a completely factually incorrect statement,yes we were the first to shut schools,but we followed right behind the uks line when it came to stricter enforcing of cocooning.

"Also and this isn't anything personal" then proceeds to launch a personal attack haha.

Now the goalposts have moved again when you see i am right.Now you believe you have the right to offend people and if they don't take it they are somehow sensitive.You are far more sensitive than me i assure you,its dripping of you.

Someday if you ever find a bit more confidence and control in your personal life you will be able to come and debate without launching personal attacks as i am able to,but not a lot of you pro establishment guys are capable of arguing anything that strays from your worldview,you get confused and launch personal attacks,feel free to read through my posts and see how many personal attacks i launched because i didn't like somebodys point.

Its just weakness and insecurity,i have been there myself my friend when you mature you might learn how to listen to opposing views with a mature mind without believing you have a right to offend someone,because you can't make a valid rebuttal.But i guess the internet is a safe place for you guys to offend people because you daren't do it in the real world,have at it my man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭oyvey

I am openly asking questions we are allowed to do that still.

Children do not seem to really get hit by this thing but the schools are closed to stop the spread and protect the elderly?

The elderly in the care homes are being hit hard by this thing the very group this was suppose to protect.

Genuinely think you should go educate yourself a little bit more about what's going on before coming on here with these kind of questions.

I don't care about taking anything up with the mods,i was merely pointing out how incorrect you are about who it is that gets vexed more often when they hear facts they don't like.

Also it wasn't a completely factually incorrect statement,yes we were the first to shut schools,but we followed right behind the uks line when it came to stricter enforcing of cocooning.

"Also and this isn't anything personal" then proceeds to launch a personal attack haha.

Now the goalposts have moved again when you see i am right.Now you believe you have the right to offend people and if they don't take it they are somehow sensitive.You are far more sensitive than me i assure you,its dripping of you.

Someday if you ever find a bit more confidence and control in your personal life you will be able to come and debate without launching personal attacks as i am able to,but not a lot of you pro establishment guys are capable of arguing anything that strays from your worldview,you get confused and launch personal attacks,feel free to read through my posts and see how many personal attacks i launched because i didn't like somebodys point.

Its just weakness and insecurity,i have been there myself my friend when you mature you might learn how to listen to opposing views with a mature mind without believing you have a right to offend someone,because you can't make a valid rebuttal.But i guess the internet is a safe place for you guys to offend people because you daren't do it in the real world,have at it my man.

Actually I didn't attack you.
    I simply pointed out that the site has a report function if you believe a post has grounds to be reported use it, and I wouldn't waste my time on a site if offended by the content or unhappy about its moderation etc.

Why would anyone waste their time doing that?

Also well done on proving that you can't actually argue without attacking someone or going for baseless assumptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,347 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Only in Ireland do we complain our hospitals never reached crisis point like in Italy, China, Netherlands, Spain and New York

Actually I didn't attack you.
    I simply pointed out that the site has a report function if you believe a post has grounds to be reported use it, and I wouldn't waste my time on a site if offended by the content or unhappy about its moderation etc.

Why would anyone waste their time doing that?

Also well done on proving that you can't actually argue without attacking someone or going for baseless assumptions.

I have no reason or desire to report anyone i was just countering your point about who gets irritated when countered with facts.

I also said i don't attack or insult posters for voicing an opinion on the subject of the thread,and can have a mature conversation with mature people on the subject at hand without insulting someone if i don't like their opinion.I didn't say i don't clap back,i clap back in the real world,i clap back in the online world.

We had a civil back and forth and you decided to have a thinly veiled dig under the isn't anything personal and then the personal dig.I'm a big boy i can deal with it,but don't expect to not have it bounced back at you.

• Advertisement

I have no reason or desire to report anyone i was just countering your point about who gets irritated when countered with facts.

I also said i don't attack or insult posters for voicing an opinion on the subject of the thread,and can have a mature conversation with mature people on the subject at hand without insulting someone if i don't like their opinion.I didn't say i don't clap back,i clap back in the real world,i clap back in the online world.

We had a civil back and forth and you decided to have a thinly veiled dig under the isn't anything personal and then the personal dig.I'm a big boy i can deal with it,but don't expect to not have it bounced back at you.

Your complaining about the moderators on the site.

You decided to be offended by what I said, which is actually pretty normal, who wastes their time on a site when they are unhappy it's moderators or the content?

I don't ad for me life is to short to do so.

You then decided to go for personal abuse and baseless assumptions as your argument, because you didn't have one, and you still don't.

Now while this has been a welcome distraction while waiting for the coats of finish to set on my latest project, I'm off to bed got to be up for work soon.

And no before you get offended the fact that I have to get up for work isn't a personal dig at you.

Advertisement