Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lunchtime Live with Ciara Kelly [Mod warning post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Ah but see that's 'progressive thought' in the little minds of some.

Niall Boylan expressing opinion = Ok
    Ciara/Susan expressing opinion = Not ok.

So, if it isn't misogyny, it must be aghast at any sort of progressive view?

Pick a lane, I don't care which one it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

Haha who the F is Niall Boylan??

• Registered Users Posts: 16,478 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

I was wondering how long it would be until the “if you don’t like Ciara Kelly you’re a misogynist” line was trotted out. :rolleyes:

There's plenty of male presenters who espouse the nonsensical views Susan Keogh promotes. It isn't an issue of being misogynistic when somebody is taking issue with another person's World view, at least until a third party arrives to push the discussion in that direction.

Just googled Niall Boylan and found this headline:

"Great support online for Niall Boylan who claims debate will soon be a thing of the past because of extreme feminism and political correctness"

He's absolutely spot on if he said those things, more power to him. Todays 'progressive thinkers' are far too fond of silencing those different views.

Would love to see him getting a slot with Newstalk but they prefer to marginalise anyone who doesn't jump on the pc, feminazi train, eg George Hook.

Just googled Niall Boylan and found this headline:

"Great support online for Niall Boylan who claims debate will soon be a thing of the past because of extreme feminism and political correctness"

He's absolutely spot on if he said those things, more power to him. Todays 'progressive thinkers' are far too fond of silencing those different views.

Would love to see him getting a slot with Newstalk but they prefer to marginalise anyone who doesn't jump on the pc, feminazi train, eg George Hook.

Glad to help you find a kindred spirit. Sure Newstalk will be sorry to see you go.

• Advertisement

Glad to help you find a kindred spirit. Sure Newstalk will be sorry to see you go.

I genuinely thank you, you've also just proved how maginalised people like him are (most probably because of his views). I'd never even heard of Niall Boylan, but I've heard plenty of 'progressive feminists' like Ciara & Susan.

Ps, I'll never leave Femi/lefti FM 106 for good, I get a kick of their 'progressive' ramblings. Also it's good to listen to contrary views from time to time, I welcome them.....unlike some 'progressive' people who seemingly despise contrary views.

Progressive indeed, lolz :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I genuinely thank you, you've also just proved how maginalised people like him are (most probably because of his views). I'd never even heard of Niall Boylan, but I've heard plenty of 'progressive feminists' like Ciara & Susan.

Ps, I'll never leave Femi/lefti FM 106 for good, I get a kick of their 'progressive' ramblings. Also it's good to listen to contrary views from time to time, I welcome them.....unlike some 'progressive' people who seemingly despise contrary views.

You’re only progressive if you agree with them 100% of the time.

Funny how some people think Newstalk is a mouthpiece for liberal views (something Denis O'Brien is well known for of course) and others think it is a blueshirt megaphone. Surely it can hardly be both?

I welcome reasoned debate on every topic. How is it yourself and a few more aren't capable of that outside of using buzzwords like feminazi and the like?

You’re only progressive if you agree with them 100% of the time.

I know, it's farcical but that's the closed mind for you.

Anyway who gets to decide what's 'progressive' and what's not, seems very subjective to me. What the 3 woke amigos consider progressive I may not and vica versa but at least I'll acknowledge that.

I think they seem to have a very closed sort of you're either with us or against us world view.

They also seem to completely lack any trace of a sense of humour :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

meeeeh wrote: »
    I didn't know Rose of Tralee is so deeply in Irish hearts people still whinge about a bit of criticism a year afterwards (or however long it is, I can't exactly remember when it's on).

Btw as a foreigner I find completely baffling how something like this gets so much attention.

i would not watch the rose of tralee if you paid me , our objection is to bare naked virtue signalling

• Advertisement

Funny how some people think Newstalk is a mouthpiece for liberal views (something Denis O'Brien is well known for of course) and others think it is a blueshirt megaphone. Surely it can hardly be both?

I welcome reasoned debate on every topic. How is it yourself and a few more aren't capable of that outside of using buzzwords like feminazi and the like?

Haha 'reasoned' debate, I mentioned that Susan Keogh's rant backfired and you immediately tried to paint it as me not liking female hosts having opinions.

Straight to the victim card, woke 101 :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

nullzero wrote: »
    There's plenty of male presenters who espouse the nonsensical views Susan Keogh promotes. It isn't an issue of being misogynistic when somebody is taking issue with another person's World view, at least until a third party arrives to push the discussion in that direction.

most of the media tribe espouse the same views as susan keogh which is why many suspect that for many of them , its a career choice to espouse said correct views and that they dont personally really believe what they are trotting out , this was likely the case with susan keogh and her carefully scripted tick box rant at the most harmless show on earth .

what makes the likes of nial boylan and ian o doherty different is they dont toe the PC WOKE line

i personally dont mind ciara kelly that much , your man cudllihy on breakfast is a thousand times worse , as is the truly unbearable jonathan healy , if you turned green over a PC voice in this country , you would never turn the wireless on at all

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    most of the media tribe espouse the same views as susan keogh which is why many suspect that for many of them , its a career choice to espouse said correct views and that they dont personally really believe what they are trotting out , this was likely the case with susan keogh and her carefully scripted tick box rant at the most harmless show on earth .

what makes the likes of nial boylan and ian o doherty different is they dont toe the PC WOKE line

i personally dont mind ciara kelly that much , your man cudllihy on breakfast is a thousand times worse , as is the truly unbearable jonathan healy , if you turned green over a PC voice in this country , you would never turn the wireless on at all

Yeah Healy and Cuddihy are poor presenters alright, I think Shane Coleman is very poor as well.

Important to note though that I don't know what these people are like in real life, they could be dead on but for me they're poor on the radio, same goes for Ciara and Susan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Ahwell

I know, it's farcical but that's the closed mind for you.

Anyway who gets to decide what's 'progressive' and what's not, seems very subjective to me. What the 3 woke amigos consider progressive I may not and vica versa but at least I'll acknowledge that.

I think they seem to have a very closed sort of you're either with us or against us world view.

They also seem to completely lack any trace of a sense of humour :-)

And you come across as the of kind of bloke who laughs uproariously at your own jokes. What is farcical is you setting yourself as some paragon of open-mindedness while labeling posters who have the temerity to have different opinions to yours "the 3 woke amigos". Which kind of suggests that you are not quite as open to contrary views as you claim to be.

I'm not sure how I got roped into this woke amigos crap, my only interaction with you on this thread was to ask you a question which you refused to answer. Mostly because you were spouting utter bollox at the time and utter bollox is hard to stand over.

Ahwell wrote: »
    And you come across as the of kind of bloke who laughs uproariously at your own jokes. What is farcical is you setting yourself as some paragon of open-mindedness while labeling posters who have the temerity to have different opinions to yours "the 3 woke amigos". Which kind of suggests that you are not quite as open to contrary views as you claim to be.

I'm not sure how I got roped into this woke amigos crap, my only interaction with you on this thread was to ask you a question which you refused to answer. Mostly because you were spouting utter bollox at the time and utter bollox is hard to stand over.

Hahahahaha the trio is complete, what a shock, Tell me how logs out and his twin logs in :-)

Ye I remember that, that was gas, you missed all the questions I asked your 2 amigos and jumped straight in to support them, what are woke friends for I suppose.

Ps, I am hilarious in fairness, give credit where it's due. Also I'm a decent bloke when you get to know me, very easy going.....and modest :-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 Pencil Neck

Give over. The Newstalk Ultra act with the three of ye have worn thin at this stage.

Give over. The Newstalk Ultra act with the three of ye have worn thin at this stage.

Imagine I mentioned the 3 woke amigos and all 3 took the bait, they just couldn't help themselves hehe.

They seem very devoid of humour though, really should lighten up a bit.

Let me guess, you're one of those decrying a lack of contrary views on Newstalk...yet object to contrary views to your own on Newstalk threads on boards.ie. A bit hypocritical, no?

Imagine I mentioned the 3 woke amigos and all 3 took the bait, they just couldn't help themselves hehe.

They seem very devoid of humour though, really should lighten up a bit.

No, you mentioned me by name on a post and if you hadn't I wouldn't be posting here now.

No, you mentioned me by name on a post and if you hadn't I wouldn't be posting here now.

That's ok I believe you, hundreds wouldn't, but I'm a decent skin so I'll take your word for it Ahwell.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

I think everybody should watch this, from 2016, when things were nowhere near as bad as they are now.

The issue is not with broadcasters airing opinions, the issue is that the only employed broadcasters all coincidentally have the same opinions. Well, they have on air anyway, whatever about their opinions in their private lives.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 Pencil Neck

Let me guess, you're one of those decrying a lack of contrary views on Newstalk...yet object to contrary views to your own on Newstalk threads on boards.ie. A bit hypocritical, no?

Ah stop. At least that little pay cut for your chums might see them realise what really matters. No more beard oils or €50 fancy Dan haircuts for the next few months !

I think everybody should watch this, from 2016, when things were nowhere near as bad as they are now.

The issue is not with broadcasters airing opinions, the issue is that the only employed broadcasters all coincidentally have the same opinions. Well, they have on air anyway, whatever about their opinions in their private lives.

Because what constitutes acceptable, reasonable views is largely dictated by society as a whole. Viewers turn off if the prevailing message is something they disagree with, then advertisers disappear and so the show is impacted.

And quite often this prevailing view is supported by educated/experienced people in a particular field presenting their views in a way in which the majority agree with.

There are outliers who scream that their view is not represented but, they are outliers in a societal sense as well. There was a clamour for Peter Casey here on Boards, that was not, in any way reflected in elections he has attempted since then.

As I've said before, what is it about Denis O'Brien that makes people think he would actively drive his stations in a liberal direction?

Just because you and a couple of mates think we'd better off without immigration or SSM, or a social welfare system, or whatever does not mean that the majority of people in the country think this way.

Ah stop. At least that little pay cut for your chums might see them realise what really matters. No more beard oils or €50 fancy Dan haircuts for the next few months !

WTF has that nonsense got to do with anything I posted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Just because you and a couple of mates think we'd better off without immigration or SSM, or a social welfare system, or whatever does not mean that the majority of people in the country think this way.

Ah come on, you couldn't have even watched the debate in that amount of time :pac:

I think an assumption is made that the media job's is to be representative of the views of the public, and give a fair and balanced representation of the news. The media's job is to make money - not to tell the truth, not to be objective, not to give the other side. The media's job is to make money. I think once people get over that hurdle you can then treat them with the level of respect that all mercenaries deserve.

OTB are the perfect example. Promote Cheltenham and Paddy Power for the week and then put out a broadcast on the Friday evening about how bad an idea Cheltenham was. It's just dishonest broadcasting, serving the interests of the paymasters while pretending to be virtuous.

Because what constitutes acceptable, reasonable views is largely dictated by society as a whole. Viewers turn off if the prevailing message is something they disagree with, then advertisers disappear and so the show is impacted.

And quite often this prevailing view is supported by educated/experienced people in a particular field presenting their views in a way in which the majority agree with.

There are outliers who scream that their view is not represented but, they are outliers in a societal sense as well. There was a clamour for Peter Casey here on Boards, that was not, in any way reflected in elections he has attempted since then.

As I've said before, what is it about Denis O'Brien that makes people think he would actively drive his stations in a liberal direction?

I supported SSM & Repeal and have no issue with immigration nor social welfare, in fact they're both essential.

However I don't agree with gender fluid or non-binary nonsense, nor the mythical gender pay gap etc

So we have a little bit of common ground after all, could be the 4 amigos yet ;-)

Ah come on, you couldn't have even watched the debate in that amount of time :pac:

I think an assumption is made that the media job's is to be representative of the views of the public, and give a fair and balanced representation of the news. The media's job is to make money - not to tell the truth, not to be objective, not to give the other side. The media's job is to make money. I think once people get over that hurdle you can then treat them with the level of respect that all mercenaries deserve.

OTB are the perfect example. Promote Cheltenham and Paddy Power for the week and then put out a broadcast on the Friday evening about how bad an idea Cheltenham was. It's just dishonest broadcasting, serving the interests of the paymasters while pretending to be virtuous.

I've seen that video before.

That's my point, the media, in most countries, is representative of the views of the public. Certainly in Ireland I feel where you have a lot of what would be considered by some as progressives and also some who do not fall in to this category. There is a place on Irish media for John Waters, Niall Boylan, Ian O'Doherty, and that place is currently reflective of the proportion of the population who support those views. If not, I would ask you, why not? When we have the likes of Denis O'Brien heavily involved in Irish Media and again someone who isn't known for their liberal views.

AS for OTB, I don't understand the confusion around this. I think it is fair to say that Paddy Power had contracts in place with them for x amount of coverage. Who do you think should have made the decision to renege on this? Would you think John Duggan or Ger Gilroy should have done when most definitely it would have cost them their job?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Ps, I am hilarious in fairness, give credit where it's due. Also I'm a decent bloke when you get to know me, very easy going.....and modest :-)

Are you writing Lonely Harts ad there?

I never saw so much back slapping and congratulating from the usual suspects how open minded they are. And at the same time pointing out who they can't stand because they are (oh the horror) liberals. I'll give you that it was wrong to accuse you of misogyny. You don't dislike all women, just the ones with opinion. When men had opinion and women agreed everything was fine. It must be hard to feel threatened by anyone a bit more liberal than a Ronan Mullen. Actually scratch that Ronan Mullen would be probably labelled feminazi and a liberal in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Silly Gilly

I've seen that video before.

That's my point, the media, in most countries, is representative of the views of the public. Certainly in Ireland I feel where you have a lot of what would be considered by some as progressives and also some who do not fall in to this category. There is a place on Irish media for John Waters, Niall Boylan, Ian O'Doherty, and that place is currently reflective of the proportion of the population who support those views. If not, I would ask you, why not? When we have the likes of Denis O'Brien heavily involved in Irish Media and again someone who isn't known for their liberal views.

AS for OTB, I don't understand the confusion around this. I think it is fair to say that Paddy Power had contracts in place with them for x amount of coverage. Who do you think should have made the decision to renege on this? Would you think John Duggan or Ger Gilroy should have done when most definitely it would have cost them their job?

You have to realise that you are dealing with losers such as JonathanAnon/generalgerry and ButtersSuki. This is their only outlet. They have been here for years spouting the same crap. They are never going to change so you are wasting your time trying to change their viewpoint. The radio forum is an absolute embarrassment, second only to Current Affairs as the worst forum on the site. The constant abuse of various presenters tolerated by the so-called moderators is shocking. Let the clowns have their little playground.

• Advertisement

meeeeh wrote: »
    Are you writing Lonely Harts ad there?

I never saw so much back slapping and congratulating from the usual suspects how open minded they are. And at the same time pointing out who they can't stand because they are liberals. I'll give you that it was wrong to accuse you of misogyny. You don't dislike all women, just the ones with opinion. When men had opinion and women agreed everything was fine. It must be hard to feel threatened by anyone a bit more liberal than a Ronan Mullen. Actually scratch that Ronan Mullen would be probably labelled feminazi and a liberal in this thread.

Bad luck, you missed the bus on the not liking women with opinions tactic, Tell me how/Ahwell beat you to it.

I met Ronan Mullen before, he's both ends of a b0ll0x, can't stand him.

Anyway nevermind all that stuff, can I be the 4th woke amigo along with yourself and the twins?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement