Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lunchtime Live with Ciara Kelly [Mod warning post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,400 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

deisedevil wrote: »
    Why did she suddenly cut to a break when she was asked how she got tested so early with no obvious contact to anyone with the virus.

in fairness she described all of that to Joe Duffy the other day on Liveline.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

She explained all that yesterday.

If I heard yesterday I wouldn't have asked. Could you enlighten me please. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,400 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

deisedevil wrote: »
    If I heard yesterday I wouldn't have asked. Could you enlighten me please. Thanks.

another member of the family was in contact with someone else. She showed symptoms at the weekend and a tester arrived at her house and tested her. She got the results on Tuesday perhaps I think it was.

I do think it was interesting how she managed to get a tester come to her house in 24 hours notice while the ordinary plebs have to wait a lot longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,150 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

If she has it, and I suppose I have no reason to doubt her, then her symptoms can't be too bad if she is able to do her radio programme each day.

I have had a real bad flu once in my life, and it floored me for nearly a week. Couldn't get out of bed, even if I had wanted to.

Now if Ciara has it, it must be less serious than a bad flu or she wouldn't be able to continue to work. I'm guessing she is positive but is one with very mild symptoms.

I do think it was interesting how she managed to get a tester come to her house in 24 hours notice while the ordinary plebs have to wait a lot longer.

I would imagine if a medical doctor rings up and says "I think I may be infected", they get preferential treatment over Mrs O'Reilly who is just worried she might have it. They will be performing triage on their calls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

another member of the family was in contact with someone else. She showed symptoms at the weekend and a tester arrived at her house and tested her. She got the results on Tuesday perhaps I think it was.

That's the quickest testing I've heard of yet for someone not in hospital already or from an affected region.

How come many others in that position have been told just to self isolate and that they will get to them eventually.

If she was an everyday Joe soap she'd be still waiting like everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,114 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I would imagine if a medical doctor rings up and says "I think I may be infected", they get preferential treatment over Mrs O'Reilly who is just worried she might have it. They will be performing triage on their calls.

Id imagine that is true for a practicing GP, not a radio "celebrity".

GreeBo wrote: »
    Id imagine that is true for a practicing GP, not a radio "celebrity".

She's still a doctor. I also assume the conversation went:

"Hi, my name is Dr Ciara Kelly, I think I might be infected"

and not

"Hi, This is Dr Ciara from the radio. I need a test ASAP to boost my ratings"
    while the ordinary plebs have to wait a lot longer.

She went to college for 8 years studying Medicine. Compared to her most people, myself included ARE plebs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

and not

She went to college for 8 years studying Medicine. Compared to her most people, myself included ARE plebs.
    Oh dear

• Registered Users Posts: 7,777 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

and not

Don't put yourself down,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

About testing I'm pretty sure they do risk assessment who to test first. I suspect if you call with a bit of a sore throat, live on your own and don't have other health issue you will put at the end of the queue (I'm imagining criteria, I don't know what it is but they certainly have one). Going on about the plebs not getting tests and so on is completely ridiculous. They have to prioritize. I imagine there are people who get results in a day if they are in more risky group.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

I wouldn't be surprised to see her on the front cover of the next issue of Hotpress at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭FarmerBrowne

I was out in the car for a bit earlier and flicking through the stations and I still hear her on newstalk, whether she has the virus or not she is an insufferable dose.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

meeeeh wrote: »
    About testing I'm pretty sure they do risk assessment who to test first. I suspect if you call with a bit of a sore throat, live on your own and don't have other health issue you will put at the end of the queue (I'm imagining criteria, I don't know what it is but they certainly have one). Going on about the plebs not getting tests and so on is completely ridiculous. They have to prioritize. I imagine there are people who get results in a day if they are in more risky group.

I think (but could be wrong) that Ciara had said that she was going to go back to work as a Dr to aid with the demand for medical professions. If so, it would further explain why she was tested rapidly.

This thread continues to surprise me with the vitriol aimed at someone which goes way beyond how they are on the radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

sligojoek wrote: »
    She's on the front page of the indo with a sad face and a tissue in her hand.

Staged or what?

Yes I seen that, well sure that proves beyond all doubt that Dr Ciara Kelly would never ever milk a bit of a publicity :-)

But both she and the media still have their vociferous defenders on here!

Yes I seen that, well sure that proves beyond all doubt that Dr Ciara Kelly would never ever milk a bit of a publicity :-)

But both she and the media still have their vociferous defenders on here!

And about one defender for every 5 haters. Make of that what you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭XLR 8

As a registered GP she is a priority for testing. She also has stated she will offer her services as a GP who is now immune from the virus once she recovers. I don't listen to her on air but she seems like a fine citizen to me.

And about one defender for every 5 haters. Make of that what you will.

I don't believe I said I 'hated' Ciara Kelly or the media (perhaps you can correct me on that), however I don't believe everthing they say and I think people shouldn't trust them so readily, that's my main point.

Ps, speaking of hate, your buddy meeeeh has yet to address his comment which suggests that he hates quite a lot of people:

"I despise people who swallow any nonsense from FB or 'alternative' media"

Do you despise all those misled people to?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭PaulieC

XLR 8 wrote: »
    As a registered GP she is a priority for testing. She also has stated she will offer her services as a GP who is now immune from the virus once she recovers. I don't listen to her on air but she seems like a fine citizen to me.

Since this virus is novel and actual experts in their fields don't know if recovered people have immunity I find it quite unbelievable that she actually came out with this.
    NIMAN wrote: »
    If she has it, and I suppose I have no reason to doubt her, then her symptoms can't be too bad if she is able to do her radio programme each day.

I have had a real bad flu once in my life, and it floored me for nearly a week. Couldn't get out of bed, even if I had wanted to.

Now if Ciara has it, it must be less serious than a bad flu or she wouldn't be able to continue to work. I'm guessing she is positive but is one with very mild symptoms.

She described her symptoms as a bad flu. Then went on to say it was a bit of chest tightness and a cough and tiredness. As you said, an actual bad flu will floor you for a week, yet she got it on Saturday and was back on the radio on Tuesday (or maybe Monday?) and sounded like she couldn't wait to get the diagnosis. Loves putting herself right in the middle of the story. I'd say she was appalled when she saw Claire Byrne doing her show from home as she was self isolating.

If she does going back to practising, I hope she gets a better handle on symptoms as she doesn't sound like she knows her own very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭s8n

PaulieC wrote: »
    Since this virus is novel and actual experts in their fields don't know if recovered people have immunity I find it quite unbelievable that she actually came out with this.

She described her symptoms as a bad flu. Then went on to say it was a bit of chest tightness and a cough and tiredness. As you said, an actual bad flu will floor you for a week, yet she got it on Saturday and was back on the radio on Tuesday (or maybe Monday?) and sounded like she couldn't wait to get the diagnosis. Loves putting herself right in the middle of the story. I'd say she was appalled when she saw Claire Byrne doing her show from home as she was self isolating.

If she does going back to practising, I hope she gets a better handle on symptoms as she doesn't sound like she knows her own very well.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,453 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I think (but could be wrong) that Ciara had said that she was going to go back to work as a Dr to aid with the demand for medical professions. If so, it would further explain why she was tested rapidly.

This thread continues to surprise me with the vitriol aimed at someone which goes way beyond how they are on the radio.

Vitriol is pretty much the stock in trade on radio threads these days.

I don't believe they are misled, I believe they willingly believe what it suits them. And I didn't said I hate, I said I despise because going on you are not believing everything traditional media serves you and then repeat any nonsense Tommy Robinson (for example, you can replace him with any other questionable source) puts out is clear sign of complete dishonesty.

I don't believe I said I 'hated' Ciara Kelly or the media (perhaps you can correct me on that), however I don't believe everthing they say and I think people shouldn't trust them so readily, that's my main point.

Ps, speaking of hate, your buddy meeeeh has yet to address his comment which suggests that he hates quite a lot of people:

I despise people who think that they can merely profess that they distrust all media and that as a consequence their views carry more weight.

I despise people who think that they can merely profess that they distrust all media and that as a consequence their views carry more weight.

Where did I say 'my views carry more weight'? Or that I 'hate Ciara Kelly'? Please provide those quotes.

May I ask, do you trust all media?

Ps, jeez yourself and meeeeh seem to "despise" potentially quite a lot of people, honestly that's not good man, you need to chill a little.

People are very diverse and hold all sorts of different views, that's life, live and let live.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,732 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

XLR 8 wrote: »

Hold your horses there.

Surely this is Dr Tim sort of misinformation.

No proof that once you get the virus that you cant get it again.

I don't believe they are misled, I believe they willingly believe what it suits them. And I didn't said I hate, I said I despise because going on you are not believing everything traditional media serves you and then repeat any nonsense Tommy Robinson (for example, you can replace him with any other questionable source) puts out is clear sign of complete dishonesty.

I never made the distinction between 'traditional' media and 'alternative' media, you did, I suspect in an attempt to paint me as someone who believes facebook type nonsense over Newstalk or RTE etc.

I've never even heard of Tommy Robinson!!! Who have I repeated, please provide quotes.

Hate and despise are pretty similar in fairness, in fact they're generally listed synonyms, so please don't try to back away from it.

You said:

Do you stand by that comment?

BPKS wrote: »
    Hold your horses there.

Surely this is Dr Tim sort of misinformation.

No proof that once you get the virus that you cant get it again.

It's inconclusive. Small number of people possibly got it again but I think data is not conclusive yet. It doesn't mean doctors won't take precautions after having it but they will go back to work.

I never made the distinction between 'traditional' media and 'alternative' media, you did, I suspect in an attempt to paint me as someone who believes facebook type nonsense over Newstalk or RTE etc.

I've never even heard of Tommy Robinson!!! Who have I repeated, please provide quotes.

You might be shocked but not everything is about you. And if you didn't hear of Tommy Robinson that points to being poorly informed.

I'm not going to go into any more discussions about the post pages ago but yes I do believe you use critical thinking as a pretense to doubt someone just because you don't like them. That's not critical thinking and critical consumption of media that's just acting according to your own bias.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

She is non-practicing - she has stated more than once she hasn't practicesd in over 2 years. If she hasn't kept up her CME (Continuous Medical Education) throughout her 2 years plus on the radio she won't be allowed to practice again until she gains enough CME ppoints to re-enter the GP Scheme (bar a blanket exemption for healthcare professional given exceptional times we are in). It's not as simple as 'once a doctor, always a doctor'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

My deep apology. I didn't realize you are psychologist/psychiatrist.

I'd rather you answer the question you were asked than deliver a deeply sarcastic apology.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement