Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

11 new cases in Northern Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

ITman88 wrote: »
    I think 2 weeks is the maximum we can commit to, after that it will look exactly like you have predicted!
    Not to mention the stress on marriages!

Except it won't work for two weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Strazdas wrote: »
    Even tourism will bounce back in time. The virus is everywhere in the developed world, not just in certain countries : if the virus can be beaten down, you will see a huge surge in people wanting to travel again.

Must admit I feel a big grá to visit Italy when this is all over. Their singing amidst suffering is poignant. Plus they deserve the boost. Was mulling over to go to Sardinia this year anyway but for sure now Italia will be top of my list.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

revelman wrote: »
    I thought the same thing. This actually creates an important precedent for every other country in Europe. Portugal for example has been dithering about closing its border with Spain but needed to get “EU approval” first. They should just close it.

Portugal is +74 cases so far today.

Was +34 yesterday.

I imagine they'll put in restrictions with Spain.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,315 ✭✭✭✭noodler

All of them should be isolated on return. Our slow response to Northern Italy was a huge mistake and has put lives at risk and possibly already cost lives.

Never would have been the will or appetite (or even legislation) to forcibly quarantine Irish people coming back from Italy holidays at that stage of the crisis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,327 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

revelman wrote: »

We should close the border with Northern Ireland unless they adopt our strategy and abandon the monumentally stupid Brit strategy that the moron Johnson and his hangers on came up with.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

namloc1980 wrote: »
    That's rubbish.

Should of closed borders 3 wks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭paddythere

statesaver wrote: »
    EU
    The EU need to realize their policy so far has been a disaster and that Europe will be part of the 3rd world when this is all over the way it is going

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

ZX7R wrote: »
    No doubt it will but it will take longer than other areas

I can't imagine Italy's tourism industry recovering anywhere close to the time it will recover in Ireland.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mr.S wrote: »
    They can advise all they want, from Monday they won’t be allowed in.

They didn't break up with us, We broke up with them! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Syncpolice

Who's zooming who?

Is the us or UK the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

Govt assistance for struggling businesses tends to go to the wrong companies seen it many times, the ones who will really be hit hard are the small family run shop and pub in rural ireland who operate on a week to week basis they've had a long winter waiting for st patricks day to come and a few visitors to the area to bring much needed extra cash which would give them enough to pay their VAT bill, suppliers and other overheads, they wont meet the criteria for assistance

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭rdwight

UK advising against all non essential travel to the US

How would a person get there anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

NI +11 up to 45.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I know.

It's meaningless 'retaliation' by a country that has yet to its spot in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Should of closed borders 3 wks ago.

We are in the middle of very testing times but there is absolutely no need for this.

It is should HAVE. :D :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

In order
    1st cancel parades
    2nd close the pubs
    Now close the borders
    This forum will end up with little to give out about

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

You wouldn't get in if you tried to travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭patnor1011

kalkat2002 wrote: »
    Will goverment help creche business...
    A lof parents won't be able to pay them and this looks lasting for long time

No. They will be trying to help people to survive to the point they will be able to do so.
    The only stuff government will be supporting will be essential services like health, law and order. The only businesses which will get government support will be food and energy production and even these may be nationalized.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,251 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Gynoid wrote: »
    Must admit I feel a big grá to visit Italy when this is all over. Their singing amidst suffering is poignant. Plus they deserve the boost. Was mulling over to go to Sardinia this year anyway but for sure now Italia will be top of my list.

Me too : I was actually thinking of a trip to Rome at the start of the year (I've never been to Italy).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

mcgucc22 wrote: »
    Nobody says 2018 was the best World Cup ever.

Wrong.

They did at the time, just like they did during the 2014 World Cup.

BBC put a poll back in 2014 - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/28268842 2014 won it by a mile unsuprisingly.

https://sputniknews.com/sport/201807051066074719-best-world-cup-poll/

76% then said 2018 was the best WC ever during that. I post on RedCafe and I was in a minority arguing against it at the time.

People need to understand the powerful effect recency bias has on the mind in moments like this.

We're still in the early stages of this virus so we don't know its overall potential. Its clearly unprecedented in terms of its effects on schools, travel, sports etc.

But we might be over the worst of it in 10-14 weeks. I stress might.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Isn't it obvious, we don't have the resources to support jobs and small business for months. You need to cut your costs to the bone and hold on. The government resources should be prioritised to make sure that everyone has food water and electricity for the coming months, not support an economy that is already yesterday's news, wake up.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

TheCitizen wrote: »
    We should close the border with Northern Ireland unless they adopt our strategy and abandon the monumentally stupid Brit strategy that the moron Johnson and his hangers on came up with.

There isn’t any practical closing of the border possible. Let’s be serious. And what benefit would it be?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭elperello

A strange Bertie Woosteresque response.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,327 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

EU

The EU are not stopping anyone closing their borders over this. We should shut the border with Northern Ireland if they stick to the stupid herd immunity Brit strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭dan786

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Pseudonym121

elperello wrote: »
    I think you should contact whoever gave it to you and offer to return it.

Failing that your GP might help.

email is probably best because they are all very busy

Definitely contact the HSE helpline and inform them you have this. It will be better than nothing and could save lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

ZX7R wrote: »
    In order
    1st cancel parades
    2nd close the pubs
    Now close the borders
    This forum will end up with little to give out about
    There's always other posters being "disgracefully" positive!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

The EU are not stopping anyone closing their borders over this. We should shut the border with Northern Ireland if they stick to the stupid herd immunity Brit strategy.

Can NI have a different strategy to the UK?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Totally agree, one physical land mass, who totally different strategies, a virus that will not respect who considers themselves of x or y heritage. It's ludicrous. We need to close the border if they don't respect the will of the majority on the island.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement