Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭Talisman

My friend in the UK said things feel very relaxed over there. Everybody going around like normal. Her sister-in-law has CYSTIC FIBROSIS and went on a trip this weekend, going to bars and restaurants. I cannot believe that.
    The expression "Ignorance is bliss" comes to mind. People who don't keep themselves informed about what is going on are likely to carry on as normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Jin luk

Syncpolice wrote: »
    I hope not , will put a lot of people round here out of work.
    Supplying goods to UK market

You think we care much about trade with yous with herd immunity going on? Keep the 6 at that rate and youre virus. Im from the border area and my work is in dublin not th north.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

rob316 wrote: »
    I'd imagine the shutting up shop for more than 4 weeks would be the max the country could sustain. Someone said 16 weeks. There would be mass riots, breakdown in society, banks meltdown, social welfare system . Alot of small business won't be liquid come the 30th March if the restrictions are lifted anyway.
    It would make the 2008 recession look like a bad day at the exchange.

The bigger picture will have to be looked at in a few weeks time.

It needs to be looked at now

All the government is doing financially for small business is offering loans

Who in their right mind would borrow a cent right now

Radical solutions must be found quickly or this economy will go down the toilet

Support business now or pay tens of thousands of dole payments in a few months time

• Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Should we, as a family of four showing no signs of symptoms continue to get out of the house for an hours walk everyday ? Yesterday it was the pheonix Park, today maybe a beach or st Catherine’s Park.
    Of course we will maintain the social distance protocol whilst outside.
    Just seeking clarification
    Thanks

Yes get out, you'd go crazy locked in all the time. Family of 4 here too and went out for a long walk this morning. We're not going near playgrounds though.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 lak

cnoc wrote: »
    Can someone list names of underlying illnesses - I couldn't get very much info in Google.

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/at-risk-groups.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭00benski

It needs to be looked at now

All the government is doing financially for small business is offering loans

Who in their right mind would borrow a cent right now

Radical solutions must be found quickly or this economy will go down the toilet

Support business now or pay tens of thousands of dole payments in a few months time

Here, here I totally agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Syncpolice

The_Brood wrote: »
    btw, it's game over in Dublin city center at least. The apartments are not made for people to stay inside all day, they are not homes but temporary holding places for landlords to profit from. People must go out daily or else it's like being in a box all day. But the streets are very narrow, compared to many other European cities, so there is no way to avoid creating crowds. Cases are going to spike dramatically very soon.
    I was thinking of this but in relation to Trump and New York

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭d51984

This is starting to have a knock on affect at Dublin airport now. The delayed and cancelled flights to the USA are still at their stands and blocking any arrivals from using them.

This mornings Emirates flight has been sitting at the end of the runway for over 3 hours unable to offload passengers. This is just the start of it.

I see Aer Lingius are flying out empty to Spain now to bring the Irish home.

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Are farts as dangerous as a cough or a sneeze in relation to spreading the virus? If so would a lit candle help at all....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Watching CNN there seems to be some optimism. The situation in northern Italy has supposedly already been stabilised according to officials. A Spanish doctor who’s been observing the situation was optimistic that things may turn out better than predicted. Dr Tony Fauci said that he doesn’t believe that things will be as bad in the US as in Europe. So some opinions but I wonder if we’re veering more towards the best case scenario than the worst.

Lets hope this virus peaks in 10-14 weeks time and that will be the worst of it and things start becoming more manageable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    It's my opinion. Time will tell. No we won't see the full impact of this in the next 2 years, the economic impact from this will be felt for more than a decade. Neither AIDS or Swineflu had European countries shutting borders and a dramatic reduction in international travel.

I also think the timing of this combined with the background and legacy economic issues from the 2008 crash are going to amplify the effects of this immensely.

Hopefully the overall death's are far below the figures you mentioned above but there is every possibility they will be multiples higher.

European central bank don't see it this way, trade will bounce back quickly, and grouth you can download a detailed pdf about it and there out look includes lock downs ,but tourism is going to be decimated even they admitted to that.
    Economics will definitely be different as will how we trade in stocks.
    High yield short term trading could be a thing of the past

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Cartel Mike

Dosn't need to be said but i guess for alot younger posters who dont live at home and have an elderly parent/grandparents [and may or may not be on the slightly self-centered cough..(lets just say 'forgetfull') :) side] ; give your elederlys a ring every day if you can. You'd be surprised at how secretly worried they are right now and it really matters to them that they know you actually care about them ..makes a world of difference.
    As i say i'm sure this is already the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

I thought someone here said it was the UK population who were poorly educated?

If you can’t get immunity from the body successfully fighting the virus and recovering a vaccine won’t work either! They require the same response from the immune system to work!

Exactly, no immunity once infected means vaccine if ever there was one would useless.

There are no vaccines available for any of the coronaviruses, yet people are still thinking there will be a chink of light with a treatment or vaccine.

No, there won't and this is why you see countries taking extreme measure.

Influenza is not Coronavirus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

cnoc wrote: »
    Can someone list names of underlying illnesses - I couldn't get very much info in Google.

Here's an article posted earlier:

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/03/11/10-medical-conditions-the-cdc-says-increase-the-risk-of-severe-coronavirus-illness/

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Nibs05

d51984 wrote: »
    This is starting to have a knock on affect at Dublin airport now. The delayed and cancelled flights to the USA are still at their stands and blocking any arrivals from using them.

This mornings Emirates flight has been sitting at the end of the runway for over 3 hours unable to offload passengers. This is just the start of it.

Looking like all EI transatlantic flights will be cancelled from 4am Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,306 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

All non essential travel needs to be stopped. But the economic channels have to remain open. If we don’t have an economy we have so much more pain coming down the tracks

I do think the economy can quickly recover from this though. If there were clear signs the virus was on the retreat, you would see a surge in consumer confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,334 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Bit of a stretch there again pal.
    They are the most at risk group.

Are you making excuses for Johnson? Johnson is an idiot, a dangerous and stupid moron. That's what you end up with when a majority of the electorate in that country decide to collectively take leave of their senses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,938 ✭✭✭circadian

CoronaKid wrote: »
    As I said before if you are in contact with people who are at risk of dying from the virus then don't go out and maybe contract it. But if you are not then I don't see the issue, if someone dies because of how would it be my fault?

Because if you do fall ill, and require hospitalisation then you'll be taking up resources when it could have easily been avoided if you had taken some responsibility for your actions and realise the effects they can have on people you don't even know.

I can't believe this has to be explained.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Zimbabwe Minister for Defence says coronavirus is God's punishment of the West for the sanctions they imposed on African countries
    https://www.newindianexpress.com/world/2020/mar/15/coronavirus-gods-punishment-of-the-west-zimbabwe-defence-minister-2117045.html?utm_campaign=fullarticle&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=inshorts

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Handmaids tale comes to mind

That will be starting up next month again, unless it has been postponed too.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

d51984 wrote: »

Erm, what? If that is true, I hope under strict and prolonged quarantine? If they are allowed to just walk freely out the airport it would be like injecting the virus directly into your veins. Government officials who would allow such a thing need to be arrested.

Edit: https://www.dublinairport.com/latest-news/2020/02/27/covid-19-update

Yep, looks like no quarantine or even screening at all. Virus welcome full-blast full-speed ahead. Absolutely incredible. This is murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Talisman wrote: »
    The expression "Ignorance is bliss" comes to mind. People who don't keep themselves informed about what is going on are likely to carry on as normal.
    I know people who are bright and informed and yet they continue on as if nothing has really changed. People want and seek comfort in routine and normalcy. It's a human trait and this denial is a way many, if not most people cope. And sadly it often ramps up in the lead in to a crisis, because more than ever they want normal to stay normal.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

That will be starting up next month again, unless it has been postponed too.

No idea why everyone keeps referencing that show as a realistic outcome of anything or draws parallels to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

wakka12 wrote: »
    Zimbabwe Minister for Defence says coronavirus is God's punishment of the West for the sanctions they imposed on African countries
    https://www.newindianexpress.com/world/2020/mar/15/coronavirus-gods-punishment-of-the-west-zimbabwe-defence-minister-2117045.html?utm_campaign=fullarticle&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=inshorts
    Channelling his inner Mugabe!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,306 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

ZX7R wrote: »
    European central bank don't see it this way, trade will bounce back quickly, and grouth you can download a detailed pdf about it and there out look includes lock downs ,but tourism is going to be decimated even they admitted to that.
    Economics will definitely be different as will how we trade in stocks.
    High yield short term trading could be a thing of the past

Even tourism will bounce back in time. The virus is everywhere in the developed world, not just in certain countries : if the virus can be beaten down, you will see a huge surge in people wanting to travel again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Strazdas wrote: »
    I wouldn't trust anything I see on social media. Any internet crank can upload a video and claim it's something else - and then it gets retweeted hundreds of times.
    It was like last month when Met Éireann gave a status red warning for 2/3 counties and a yellow for another 6ish counties on the west of the country. Someone on Twitter then created a map of their personal feelings on what the warnings should be, covering half the country in red warnings and the rest in yellow.

This totally baseless,unofficial map was the one that caught traction, was being shared on facebook + twitter etc. even being picked up on content-gathering sites etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭Talisman

We'll probably have a vaccine for this within 18 months.
    It's a coronavirus, they mutate over time and a vaccine for this one may have little to no effect on a future mutation. The only way to truly eradicate it is to wipe out the reservoirs of the virus and in this case it seems too late for that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

No idea why everyone keeps referencing that show as a realistic outcome of anything or draws parallels to it.
    Aye. It can be read as a rape fantasy drama for some and a fear of returning to a time that never actually existed.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

rob316 wrote: »
    I'd imagine the shutting up shop for more than 4 weeks would be the max the country could sustain. Someone said 16 weeks. There would be mass riots, breakdown in society, banks meltdown, social welfare system . Alot of small business won't be liquid come the 30th March if the restrictions are lifted anyway.
    It would make the 2008 recession look like a bad day at the exchange.

The bigger picture will have to be looked at in a few weeks time.
    I think 2 weeks is the maximum we can commit to, after that it will look exactly like you have predicted!
    Not to mention the stress on marriages!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement