Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Syncpolice

otnomart wrote: »
    Germany about to close border with France
    was just reported by French TV BFM.

https://www.bfmtv.com/societe/en-direct-coronavirus-les-francais-places-en-confinement-les-elections-municipales-maintenues/

Honestly both their Govs have been so cavalier about the rising number of cases, and they both have a high number, that I think it is too late now

Politicians gotta make it look like they're in control

Even though they're behind the curve

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭galaxy12

lobbylad wrote: »
    I don't get the "shut the borders" that seems to now becoming common.

For example, Germany closing the borders to France, the virus is on both sides anyway, and restrictions are in place about people gathering in France.

The virus doesn't know anything about borders, and the resources that have to be deployed to close the borders could surely be better used elsewhere?

And why pick the "lines of closure" along international lines, why for example aren't they closing off cities within Germany from rural areas or isolating various provinces, or isolate towns/regions with no known infections from the outside.

The "shut the border" reaction just seems nationalistic and arbitrary at this point, especially when the virus is already on both sides of the border.

I don't see shutting borders with ni making any sense and there are lower Cases in ni and shutting borders may be impractical and impossible in many areas in the short term at least.
    What I see being missed here in hse's plan is a strategy to tackle the outbreak but multiplying the testing rate. They are delaying the testing by staying home and avoiding further outbreak.
    If we see examples where they have successfully tllimited or tailed off the growth quicker -s'pore, s Korea and HK -these places have a much higher density of population and the big difference is that they started testing much much earlier rather than delay testing.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Tootsie_1

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭d51984

Ive just temporally deleted my Facebook account before I start getting in to trouble for exploding off on certain clowns.

Its nice to have this thread and to see so many people talking sense and taking this as serious as we should.

We will get by this Ireland, there will be deaths, there will be tears, but by god we will get by.

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭Dontfadeaway

Was just announced the pubs in temple bar are all closing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Will the numbers be released of infections in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

paddy19 wrote: »

Medtronic in Galway are a key supplier.

Should we exporting ventilators?

Yes because we're not selfish aholes. People in other countries need them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭Cody montana

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    CDC published it as an underlying condition. Any form of neurological issues.
    I published a link to it previously.

Cork to Go into lockdown tomorrow.

What do you mean lockdown?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring2

Someone online posted this.

Britain's approach has three core elements: enact social distancing measures much more slowly than other countries; shield at-risk groups like the elderly and sick from contact with the general population; and then let COVID-19 slowly sweep through everybody else.

Frankly this is culling of the old in the UK as you can't protect the old when you have no government measures of isolation. Letting the virus spread to everyone is a nutty strategy. We need to think about closing our border to the UK soon probably next few days. We can't have people coming here from the UK, when they like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭harr

On sky news ...the brits might ask over 70,s to stay insides but probably not for a few weeks yet.
    Liverpool half Marathon ran this morning as did the bath half marathon. Why does the British government think they won’t be the same as other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Just let our nearest neighbor who have shown no care for curtailing the virus to move back and forth at will. Even if it is Irish people coming back, the virus doesn’t know that, it’s just people who have been living their lives as normal while the rest of us are in quarantine mode. I suppose though, I gather there is testing now at the airports given that the traffic is much more manageable. How the **** HSE workers were telling people coming back from Cheltenham to ‘see how they are’ just boggles the mind.

There’s no testing at airports. Taking someone’s temperature is no test of infection, merely a possible symptom. Not everyone who’s infected even runs a temperature, even after the illness becomes apparent.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭lobbylad

The virus is carried within people who travel through borders. Not difficult to understand.
    The 'keep the borders open' reaction seems to be from people who would gladly let the virus spread and people die rather than take any action that might seem 'nationalistic'

Rubbish, the virus is already in Germany, and a handful of additional cases that might come across from France are not going to make a difference (relatively).

Germany (like here) now has to control the rate of spread of the virus, closing the border won't help that in any way. And in fact, if they introduce limits on gatherings or bar/restaurant/etc closures, then the resources used to keep the borders closed would be better used in ensuring that restrictions on gatherings are adhered to.

There is perhaps an argument to ground flights, as one infected person could infect an entire plane load, but that's not the same as closing land borders.

The time for closing land borders to have an effect has long gone past us.

No country has unlimited resources, and those resources should be best used to limit the spread of the virus, IMO closing a land border between countries such as Germany and France will have little effect on the spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

Went to look to buy a bike this morning because our London office is refusing to close, and I'm not going to take public transport anymore. None of them were suitable and I had to order one in, but bought a few bits and pieces like lights and helmet. Fella on the tills was rubbing his nose and mouth the entire time and looked at me like I had 2 heads when I insisted on tapping my card instead of handing it to him.

I feel like I live in a parallel universe.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

ZX7R wrote: »
    In order
    1st cancel parades
    2nd close the pubs
    Now close the borders
    This forum will end up with little to give out about

People will moan either way. What the government do or don't do, people will be calling them clowns regardless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

is_that_so wrote: »
    Same "finger of blame" could be pointed all health authorities. This thing was always going to break out regardless, just like the flu' does every year, and this phase was anticipated. So far it has not spread as quickly as in other places, who unfortunately did not respond well.

True, maybe the 'containment phase' lingo was all bollix - and what the HSE etc were really at was trying to control the inevitable spread of the virus?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

Adiboo wrote: »
    Chemist by me is doing a one in one out system. Pharmacist coming out giving people tickets, big queue of people outside.

Yes because we need pharmacists and their staff alive and well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

But the two are not mutually exclusive.

How are things going to be if you are alive but you have no money left for food because all the employers had to shut down and could not employ or pay anyone.

Or if this no food available because all the suppliers/producers were out of business and could not supply/produce anything.

People think it's a binary choice, it's not, businesses have to keep going to keep people alive, the economy has to continue to function.
    If there are mass layoffs, there will be civil unrest very quickly. Where is the money to live going to come from for 500,000 people perhaps or more? RP9 forms will not cut it for mass layoffs at one time. Yes there is a national emergency but people need clear leadership and a plan, a plan at least to factor in some of the variables at play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Syncpolice

Some good news

U2 announce plans to continue touring

However have confirmed they will not be releasing any more new material

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

The Tories in the UK prioritise the economy over mortality rates.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

TheCitizen wrote: »
    We can issue a statement asking people not to travel into and out of both jurisdictions and ask people in the border regions in particular to self isolate and stay indoors. Shut down all non essential services in those areas to discourage movement of people. Open up a dialogue with the Northern Ireland politicians and ask them to ignore the stupid thick moron Johnson and adapt a more sensible approach. (Ask them nicely obviously)

I absolutely appreciate you are posting in good faith..

BUT

The Taoiseach already issued an announcement advising against gatherings of over 100 people indoors and 500 outdoors.

And people didn't listen and packed the pubs Friday and Saturday.

If the border is shut it will take a huge amount of manpower, more than we have. And will divert a lot of bodies who could better be used helping out in hospitals, as drivers and assisting communities.

It's just not workable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭take everything

Interesting to read that gardai can arrest anyone with the virus wilfully at large.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Why are the Germans closing their borders so? Let's be serious? This is serious.

In Northern Ireland they are not imposing the same restrictions that we are down here, so shut the border and restrict movement of people from that jurisdiction to this one as much as possible.

Germany has borders with

Denmark
    The Netherlands
    Belgium
    France
    Luxembourg
    Austria
    Switzerland
    Czech Republic
    Poland.

Germany is in central Europe, their country has a lot more exposure to this virus than this country ever will.

We have a ghost border on our own island and you want to close it over a political policy? Stop talking rubbish.

You sound like a total panic junckie, enjoying yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Syncpolice wrote: »
    Some good news

U2 announce plans to continue touring

However have confirmed they will not be releasing any more new material

And the good news???

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

lobbylad wrote: »
    Rubbish, the virus is already in Germany, and a handful of additional cases that might come across from France are not going to make a difference (relatively).

Germany (like here) now has to control the rate of spread of the virus, closing the border won't help that in any way. And in fact, if they introduce limits on gatherings or bar/restaurant/etc closures, then the resources used to keep the borders closed would be better used in ensuring that restrictions on gatherings are adhered to.

There is perhaps an argument to ground flights, as one infected person could infect an entire plane load, but that's not the same as closing land borders.

The time for closing land borders to have an effect has long gone past us.

No country has unlimited resources, and those resources should be best used to limit the spread of the virus, IMO closing a land border between countries such as Germany and France will have little effect on the spread.

Not every policy decision has to be taken quite so literally. “Closing borders” has an important symbolic effect so that people will take even more seriously the message to stay at home and not make unnecessary journeys

• Registered Users Posts: 16,011 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

This is a very disturbing tweet by Philip Boucher Hayes. It's a worrying reminder no one is immune here. A Dr on RTE radio this morning briefly discussed WHO stats until she was rudely cut off. One interesting point she made was that the median age of death is 57 years old. That means half of deaths occur above this age and half below.
    That's worrying for everyone. If you're in your 20s and out in pubs, thats your parents you're very likely putting at risk, not just your grandparents, it's also you, albeit at less risk.

https://twitter.com/boucherhayes/status/1238904532039589889

Well that is just plain out bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Tootsie_1

Yes because we need pharmacists and their staff alive and well.

This , Pharmacies are under huge pressure right now and all terrified I might add. Mine is doing a two in two out system they have to try protect themselves while still looking after the community. Be nice to them everyone they are doing their best.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭patnor1011

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Source?

Logic.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

ZX7R wrote: »
    In order
    1st cancel parades
    2nd close the pubs
    Now close the borders
    This forum will end up with little to give out about

3rd would be cancel Dancing with the stars.
    Then borders.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement