Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mcgucc22

Wrong.

They did at the time, just like they did during the 2014 World Cup.

BBC put a poll back in 2014 - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/28268842 2014 won it by a mile unsuprisingly.

https://sputniknews.com/sport/201807051066074719-best-world-cup-poll/

76% then said 2018 was the best WC ever during that. I post on RedCafe and I was in a minority arguing against it at the time.

People need to understand the powerful effect recency bias has on the mind in moments like this.

We're still in the early stages of this virus so we don't know its overall potential. Its clearly unprecedented in terms of its effects on schools, travel, sports etc.

But we might be over the worst of it in 10-14 weeks. I stress might.

Wow, I’m shocked. And I can’t believe Italia ‘90 got 10% of the vote, that was probably the worst ever World Cup. Mexico ‘86 all the way for me. Anyway back on topic.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

namloc1980 wrote: »
    The government and authorities believed that there would be some responsibility taken by people. We're always very quick to point fingers at Government telling us what to do and treating us like kids / nanny state etc. They then ask us to exercise some responsibility and restraint in an unprecedented public health emergency and we can't. Some people won't heed any advice and just blame the gubbermint regardless.

This.

Exactly.

Advised to keep our distance from each other to slow down the spread of a contagious virus = footage on social media of a bunch of numpties packed in together for the pints and the craic.

Assured the food supply lines are sound and there is no need to stockpile = numpties fill the supermarkets bulk buying.

If people want to be treated as adults then that does require that adults act like adults.

IF the pubs etc are ordered to close the fault likes squarely on the shoulders of the out for pints and the craic numpties. No one else.
    If there are gaps on supermarket shelves then that was caused by the I NEED 700 rolls of toilet paper posse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Spook_ie wrote: »
    What makes you say there's no logic, to be protected from CoVid19 you need to either

A have an immunity to it from having caught and survived it
    Or
    B have an immunity to if from having been vaccinated

UK, Ireland and the rest of the world will still be in the same boat in that anyone not exposed or vaccinated will still be at risk.

Or
    C no immunity due to multiple mutations. This virus already mutated so much that vaccination is not viable option.
    https://nextstrain.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Tippex

Lashes28 wrote: »
    Epilepsy

Why do you think Epilepsy is classed as one of the underlying conditions?
    I have Epilepsy and I would not consider myself to have an underlying condition, I also have not seen this mentioned by any anyone qualified to do so.

If fact the following information is on epilepsy.ie

”1) The risk to people with epilepsy

The Department of Health & the HSE have issued no specific guidelines for people with epilepsy. Neither have stated that there is any increased risk of contracting the virus owing to having epilepsy. In short, there is no known evidence that people with epilepsy are at a higher risk of contracting Covid-19.“

https://www.epilepsy.ie/content/epilepsy-and-coronavirus-updated

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

is_that_so wrote: »
    Spain deaths up by 288 in one day and almost 8000 infections.

You mean in total?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

This is a very disturbing tweet by Philip Boucher Hayes. It's a worrying reminder no one is immune here. A Dr on RTE radio this morning briefly discussed WHO stats until she was rudely cut off. One interesting point she made was that the median age of death is 57 years old. That means half of deaths occur above this age and half below.
    That's worrying for everyone. If you're in your 20s and out in pubs, thats your parents you're very likely putting at risk, not just your grandparents, it's also you, albeit at less risk.

https://twitter.com/boucherhayes/status/1238904532039589889

• Registered Users Posts: 18,303 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

lobbylad wrote: »
    I don't get the "shut the borders" that seems to now becoming common.

For example, Germany closing the borders to France, the virus is on both sides anyway, and restrictions are in place about people gathering in France.

The virus doesn't know anything about borders, and the resources that have to be deployed to close the borders could surely be better used elsewhere?

And why pick the "lines of closure" along international lines, why for example aren't they closing off cities within Germany from rural areas or isolating various provinces, or isolate towns/regions with no known infections from the outside.

The "shut the border" reaction just seems nationalistic and arbitrary at this point, especially when the virus is already on both sides of the border.

It's largely a sideshow. Experts are urging us to keep contact to a minimum and to wash hands.....the issue of infected people coming is far less of a thing at this point

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

In reality we might not have to close our borders,
    As most countries have done so already.
    There will be very little travel by air from today onwards

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Tootsie_1

wakka12 wrote: »
    You mean in total?

Spain +1,362 cases today, total number 7,753

• Registered Users Posts: 33,263 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

MarkY91 wrote: »
    I can't imagine Italy's tourism industry recovering anywhere close to the time it will recover in Ireland.

I know a guy who has booked an Italian cruise!

A perfect storm so to speak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Tippex wrote: »
    I have Epilepsy and I would not consider myself to have an underlying condition, I also have not seen this mentioned by any anyone qualified to do so.

The Italian lad that was stuck in the apartment with his sister who had passed away and could find no help,she had epilepsy.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭ThePopehimself

11 New Cases in NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Clarence Boddiker

For example, Germany closing the borders to France, the virus is on both sides anyway, and restrictions are in place about people gathering in France.

The virus doesn't know anything about borders, and the resources that have to be deployed to close the borders could surely be better used elsewhere?

And why pick the "lines of closure" along international lines, why for example aren't they closing off cities within Germany from rural areas or isolating various provinces, or isolate towns/regions with no known infections from the outside.

The "shut the border" reaction just seems nationalistic and arbitrary at this point, especially when the virus is already on both sides of the border.

The virus is carried within people who travel through borders. Not difficult to understand.
    The 'keep the borders open' reaction seems to be from people who would gladly let the virus spread and people die rather than take any action that might seem 'nationalistic'

• Registered Users Posts: 9,334 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Necro wrote: »
    Again... how? There are over 200 points of entry.

We do not have the manpower to close the border.

Not to mention the other impacts it may have.

We can issue a statement asking people not to travel into and out of both jurisdictions and ask people in the border regions in particular to self isolate and stay indoors. Shut down all non essential services in those areas to discourage movement of people. Open up a dialogue with the Northern Ireland politicians and ask them to ignore the stupid thick moron Johnson and adapt a more sensible approach. (Ask them nicely obviously)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

Just a few minutes ago our local Green Party member was calling around houses asking about votes for the Seanad, my mother answered the door (60, cancer survivor), I could not be more annoyed tbh, absolute fool at a time like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭Genghis

Adiboo wrote: »
    Chemist by me is doing a one in one out system. Pharmacist coming out giving people tickets, big queue of people outside.

Maybe this is just me but let's say one customer in the queue is contagious. If the queue takes 15 mins or more, this system would be better at ensuring an infection than letting people in and out faster.

Or are they ensuring a 2m distance in the queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,006 ✭✭✭✭rob316

ITman88 wrote: »
    I think 2 weeks is the maximum we can commit to, after that it will look exactly like you have predicted!
    Not to mention the stress on marriages!

4 was hugely optimistic, hospitality is going to be wiped out in 2 weeks anyway. I hope retail can stay open freely, alot of people work in that and its largely minimum wage, it supports the real working poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

I strongly suspect both polls were influenced by a certain St Petersburg "research" group as most things are these days related to Russia.

What next? A poll to tell us the Sochi Olympics were the cleanest ever?

I knew I would get the Russian conspiracy comments if I linked Sputnik, which I shouldn't of.

Okay lets link a poll done by the UK Mirror

https://www.mirror.co.uk/interactives/russia-2018-greatest-world-cup-12929264

2018 winning it comfortably.

The BBC poll during the 2014 WC was an open vote by British residents only. 2014 won it by a mile on that.

SkySports ran a poll asking who were the greatest Premier League team ever last month.

Who won it? Liverpool 2019/20.
    https://twitter.com/SkySportsNews/status/1219243942564311041
    Deny it all you want but recency bias is huge and there's no realistic way of quantifying this coronavirus news event until a few years from now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

patnor1011 wrote: »
    Or
    C no immunity due to multiple mutations. This virus already mutated so much that vaccination is not viable option.

In which case it will no longer be CoVid19 but CoVid20 or whatever, and if still as virilent or more than CoVid19 just as much or more of a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

ZX7R wrote: »
    In reality we might not have to close our borders,
    As most countries have done so already.
    There will be very little travel by air from today onwards

Just let our nearest neighbor who have shown no care for curtailing the virus to move back and forth at will. Even if it is Irish people coming back, the virus doesn’t know that, it’s just people who have been living their lives as normal while the rest of us are in quarantine mode. I suppose though, I gather there is testing now at the airports given that the traffic is much more manageable. How the **** HSE workers were telling people coming back from Cheltenham to ‘see how they are’ just boggles the mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

What is even the point in closing borders at this stage? Germany probably has more cases than all the countries it closed it's borders to, and I'd imagine air travel around Europe is pretty close to zero currently

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Germany about to close border with France
    was just reported by French TV BFM.

https://www.bfmtv.com/societe/en-direct-coronavirus-les-francais-places-en-confinement-les-elections-municipales-maintenues/

Honestly both their Govs have been so cavalier about the rising number of cases, and they both have a high number, that I think it is too late now

• Registered Users Posts: 9,334 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

There's nothing nationalistic about it. it's simply using borders that are there to try to restrict movement of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭regedit

190 new cases in Malaysia this morning. Over 35C there right now. Same in tropical parts of the United States, 40 new cases in Florida this morning.Also more than 50 new cases in Australia and 29 new cases and 3 more deaths in the Phillippines. Now looking very unlikely that hot or tropical weather stops the virus.

There's nothing to say that high temperatures kill the virus. Some previous epidemics have weaned during summer months probably due to the virus development cycle rather than warm weather

• Registered Users Posts: 15,103 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

pjohnson wrote: »
    Bigger picture is life not economy.

But the two are not mutually exclusive.

How are things going to be if you are alive but you have no money left for food because all the employers had to shut down and could not employ or pay anyone.

Or if this no food available because all the suppliers/producers were out of business and could not supply/produce anything.

People think it's a binary choice, it's not, businesses have to keep going to keep people alive, the economy has to continue to function.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

How long does it take before symptoms surface? I’ve not been in work since Wednesday and have had little contact with anyone outside of my family since, apart from going to shops and walks whilst constantly washing hands and maintaining distance. No one in family is showing signs of symptoms but kids were in school on Thursday so that’s only 3 days ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Tippex wrote: »

CDC published it as an underlying condition. Any form of neurological issues.
    I published a link to it previously.

Cork to Go into lockdown tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

patnor1011 wrote: »
    Or

Source?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

The virus is carried within people who travel through borders. Not difficult to understand.
    The 'keep the borders open' reaction seems to be from people who would gladly let the virus spread and people die rather than take any action that might seem 'nationalistic'

There’s no greater risk from someone crossing a border, than there is from travelling any other equivalent distance. You planning on cutting Cork off from Limerick too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

You mean in total?

It's from the Guardian feed via AP @ 14.51.
    Spain says deaths from the coronavirus have more than doubled in a day to 288, with the number of infections near 8,000, Associated Press reports.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement