Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭pawdee

Herd immunity will be a disaster for all cows !

Shtamp out scour!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

revelman wrote: »

Finally, they do what they should of well before.

We have the green light now to close our borders.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,623 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

cnoc wrote: »
    Can someone list names of underlying illnesses - I couldn't get very much info in Google.

High Blood Pressure, Asthma, CF and Diabetes

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭revelman

I thought the same thing. This actually creates an important precedent for every other country in Europe. Portugal for example has been dithering about closing its border with Spain but needed to get “EU approval” first. They should just close it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,336 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

rob316 wrote: »
    I'd imagine the shutting up shop for more than 4 weeks would be the max the country could sustain. Someone said 16 weeks. There would be mass riots, breakdown in society, banks meltdown, social welfare system . Alot of small business won't be liquid come the 30th March if the restrictions are lifted anyway.
    It would make the 2008 recession look like a bad day at the exchange.

The bigger picture will have to be looked at in a few weeks time.

Bigger picture is life not economy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

There are no vaccines available for any of the coronaviruses, yet people are still thinking there will be a chink of light with a treatment or vaccine.

Influenza is not Coronavirus.

That is sobering.

I read this article just now when checking to see if there were no vaccines for other coronaviruses. The amount of investment it would have taken in 2016 would have been tiny compared to what will be lost now.
    Also interesting re amplified effect in animals of symptoms when they were previously trialing for SARS vaccine
    https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-care/scientists-were-close-coronavirus-vaccine-years-ago-then-money-dried-n1150091

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

ZX7R wrote: »
    European central bank don't see it this way, trade will bounce back quickly, and grouth you can download a detailed pdf about it and there out look includes lock downs ,but tourism is going to be decimated even they admitted to that.
    Economics will definitely be different as will how we trade in stocks.
    High yield short term trading could be a thing of the past

The ECB are hardly going to be going around screaming panic either to be fair. But yeah they do acknowledge some of the problems coming alright. Look at what they did after 2008 though, QE and lowering interest rates. Interest rates are negative now and dropping them further could have awful consequences, similar for QE - you want to avoid rapid inflation when this all calms down. They're stuck between a rock and a hard place in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mcgucc22

We'll probably have a vaccine for this within 18 months.

HIV/AIDS still doesn't even have a cure 40 years on even today. It even took 15 years for any sort of treatment to keep people living longer.

The economic effects will likely be less drastic than the 2008-09 crash, there will be a sharp dip with a likely quicker recovery from what we experienced with the slow never ending recovery from 2008-09.

I know how recency bias works given what I read in the sports forums, every current world cup is best ever (2018 is currently, 2014 was before that), every premier league season is the best ever, people were declaring the current Liverpool side the greatest football team ever only a few weeks back, better than Brazil 1970, Milan 88-95, Barcelona 09-12 etc. Every current sportstar is the best ever, every bond movie is the best ever, people were coming out of the cinema's saying The Force Awakens was better than Empire Strikes Back.

I accept this pandemic has more a drastic effect on sports, travel, globalisation etc than previous pandemics including AIDS.

Again for me it will be interesting to see how this pandemic fares over this summer, because next summer we'll likely be on the way out of this you would hope.

Nobody says 2018 was the best World Cup ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

I'm probably going to repeat this post a few times until the message gets through.

Its critically important to wash your hands before leaving the house to go to the shops. If you are carrying a mild form of coronavirus you could easily spread it to someone else in the shop, by handling products you don't buy, handling money or using a pinpad or else using a shopping basket. Its also important to hand sanitize after you leave the shop to prevent potentially bringing coronavirus home.

So hand sanitize before and after shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Can't believe Japan are still saying the Olympics will go ahead with 1000s dying. Utter lunacy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭wpd

why is the goverment still allowing tourists to travel here
    should they not be closing borders except to residents?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod-Can ye please for the love of [insert deity] stop replying to the obvious trolls. Makes clean up harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

mcgucc22 wrote: »
    Nobody says 2018 was the best World Cup ever.

Wasn't it generally regarded as a forgetful and boring tournament?

I remember so many games being unwatchable due to boring draws.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

harr wrote: »
    Even with a two week shut down a lot of small business will go to the wall, after a month its anyone’s guess what state the country will be in...
    Social welfare will be in heap for sure ..

The government needs to put in some measures to try to help businesses survive. Rent freezes bank freezes and suspend them until life gets going again and companies open back up again.

This is like nothing we have ever seen before so hopefully they come up with some novel ideas for helping the economy survive this.

Can't believe the cluster fûck started from one man and a bat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

I still don`t think this will happen not immediately anyway even though it should.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    High Blood Pressure, Asthma, CF and Diabetes

Epilepsy

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Shut airports. Sure.

How are we going to handle the North though, we don't have the manpower

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

UK advising against all non essential travel to the US

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Strazdas wrote: »
    Even tourism will bounce back in time. The virus is everywhere in the developed world, not just in certain countries : if the virus can be beaten down, you will see a huge surge in people wanting to travel again.

No doubt it will but it will take longer than other areas

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

Syncpolice wrote: »
    Is Catholic mass not cancelled

Seems to be going ahead here

God is the savior and works in mysterious ways :pac:

• Advertisement

The_Brood wrote: »
    Erm, what? If that is true, I hope under strict and prolonged quarantine? If they are allowed to just walk freely out the airport it would be like injecting the virus directly into your veins. Government officials who would allow such a thing need to be arrested.

Edit: https://www.dublinairport.com/latest-news/2020/02/27/covid-19-update

Yep, looks like no quarantine or even screening at all. Virus welcome full-blast full-speed ahead. Absolutely incredible. This is murder.

All of them should be isolated on return. Our slow response to Northern Italy was a huge mistake and has put lives at risk and possibly already cost lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭jam83

I'm probably going to repeat this post a few times until the message gets through.

Its critically important to wash your hands before leaving the house to go to the shops. If you are carrying a mild form of coronavirus you could easily spread it to someone else in the shop, by handling products you don't buy, handling money or using a pinpad or else using a shoping basket. Its also important to hand sanitize after you leave the shop to prevent potentially bringing coronavirus home.

So hand sanitize before and after shopping.

Fair point but I cannot buy sanitizer anywhere and I've tried in every supermarket and pharmacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭revelman

Necro wrote: »
    Shut airports. Sure.

How are we going to handle the North though, we don't have the manpower

Transmission rates in the North seem similar to the South. The North isn’t the problem. It’s the rest of the U.K. and elsewhere...

• Registered Users Posts: 35,837 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

wakka12 wrote: »
    Zimbabwe Minister for Defence says coronavirus is God's punishment of the West for the sanctions they imposed on African countries
    https://www.newindianexpress.com/world/2020/mar/15/coronavirus-gods-punishment-of-the-west-zimbabwe-defence-minister-2117045.html?utm_campaign=fullarticle&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=inshorts

It's weird as the West LOVE to say things like ' God Help Us'' '' May God bless America'' so on. But when someone comes out and claims this, they give the impression that the person saying it is crazy, ie that's just silly, no such thing as God

They want it both ways. But if they believe in God so much, then they must know how spiteful God is in the bible, how he sent plagues of Locusts, Floods, Disease so on as punishment. Trump can't have it both ways '' God Bless America'' ............. eh no such thing as God and his punishments.''

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

wpd wrote: »
    why is the goverment still allowing tourists to travel here
    should they not be closing borders except to residents?

EU

• Registered Users Posts: 18,139 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Wasn't it generally regarded as a forgetful and boring tournament?

I remember so many games being unwatchable due to boring draws.

There actually weren't that many draws in that world cup. And of the dresses since of them were crackers e.g. Portugal and Spain 3 all draw was an incredible game.

jam83 wrote: »
    Fair point but I cannot buy sanitizer anywhere and I've tried in every supermarket and pharmacy.

Try a pharmacy early in the morning. Disposable gloves are also an option to use. Once disposed outside shop you reduce the risk of infecting your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,139 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

statesaver wrote: »
    EU

That's rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

But not the land border (GFA), our biggest travel related risk now is the policy currently being pursued by the Conservative Party in the UK.

Unlikely Northern Assembly will go come into line with us against London given vindictiveness track record of BoJo who has threatened to cut funding if they do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Lashes28 wrote: »
    The government needs to put in some measures to try to help businesses survive. Rent freezes bank freezes and suspend them until life gets going again and companies open back up again.

This is like nothing we have ever seen before so hopefully they come up with some novel ideas for helping the economy survive this.

Can't believe the cluster fûck started from one man and a bat.
    There is only so much money available, which is why they want as much of the economy as can to function for as long as possible.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement