Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part V - 34 cases in ROI, 16 in NI (as of 10 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Only 24 cases here, so far ....

That we know of.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,160 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Those German stats would make sense in that, the mortality rate there is low from the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

The Czech Rep. has closed all schools. 40 cases there.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,010 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

otnomart wrote: »
    Age profile of patients in Germany seems to be much, much younger
    Source: https://www.rki.de/DE/Content/InfAZ/N/Neuartiges_Coronavirus/Situationsberichte/Gesamt.html

ESvEH5dVAAAoHQ7?format=jpg&name=large

This probably explains why their death rate is so low.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

The Late Late Show have POSTPONED going to Limerick.

Just when you thought it couldn’t get any worse...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

Would love to know why Sean O Rourke calls its Cawvid 19 !

If your a smoker or into vaping, stop now. Apparently it increases the risk factor according to data analyzed in China over the last few months. I have one with a drink at night but Im done now after reading that info.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

gabeeg wrote: »
    We could've closed some or all schools. We could have encouraged a degree of social distancing. We could have encouraged employers to allow their staff to work from home.
    There's an array of things, some relatively painless, that we could've employed early on to improve our condition.

Instead they told us that the risk was low, and that Paddy's day would still go ahead. But wash your hands.
    Vallance, a top UK medical bod, yesterday suggested that handwashing can reduce the risk of infection by 54% so yeah wash your hands. As for the other measures Holohan too went on to explain the likely phased use of them. The possible risk as he sees it is public fatigue or resistance if they are introduced too early or for too long and ultimately ignoring it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Heard there is a confirmed case in Naas hospital this morning .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

That we know of.

Italy was at that stage a mere 3 weeks ago. No time for complacence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

As an Italian, I can tell you that all employees can sign an autocertification where they say that they are travelling from home to work and back.
    All that are eligible for smart working/home working can ask their employers for it. Where I work most of colleagues are home as from today. There are those who can't do their job from home, like me.

It's ridicolous that it is possible to move for going to work, but can't move for anything else, as if the virus could tell the difference.

All gyms, schools, cinemas, theatres are closed.
    Hotels are going to close because they got nearly 100% of booking cancellations for nearly the whole year.
    Bar and restaurants should stay closed, not really sure about this.

Buses and trains can travel, and this is ridicolous as well.

All transfers outside one's town or city has to be motivated with an absolutely nececessary reason.

Otherwise the advice is to stay home.
    Because we're Italians, these rules will be hardly observed, I fear... Despite the threat of 3 months jail for those who break the rules.

Our government has been shy, they are applying the rules they should have applied two or three weeks ago, when they thought that locking down 12 towns would have been enough.

That's a quick overview of our situation here.

What about grocery shopping ?
    Are local supermarkets still open and allowed to enter ?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭cnbyz

bekker wrote: »
    The other potential time bomb is Turkey, 0 cases despite being surrounded by countries reporting cases including Iran. They are flat out lying and now trying to force thousands into EU through Greek border.
    I dont think they are lying .Doctors or patients would have leaked it. They took really strict isolation measures early on that most others didnt bother to. They closed the border with Iran and stopped all flights to and from China and Italy. (Italy is especially a very busy route for Turkey) I remember reading about one incident where they diverted an inbound flight from Iran and isolated every single passenger because flight crew reported sick people on board. Minister of Health in Turkey doesnt shy away from the fact that there might be people carrying the virus in Turkey and new cases might appear . They are trying to prevent that from happening as long as they can into the summer. The minister of health asked people who return from abroad to go to the nearest health clinic and get a medical certificate for 14 days. All they need is to present their passports. Sorry but thats strict.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

This is pure scaremongering nonsense. A national paper should not be publishing this on its home page, people will read that and become extremely upset. In Ireland a decision has been made to not go down the lockdown route, otherwise (without extreme incompetence) we would already be doing it. Therefore, life will be going on as normal as possible.

Funerals being discussed on RTE radio right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Midnight Sundance

What exactly are the general symptoms of Corona? Hubby sent home cos he has a sore throat n runny nose. I've checked his temp, it's normal. We haven't travelled anywhere foreign or more than 10 miles from home. No confirmed cases in our part of country..yet.. but who's to say that half the country have it now n dont know about it?
    I've heard symptoms can be mild. Chances r hes a little head cold he caught from our son but of course now my mind is going Into overdrive.
    I'm pregnant n starting to worry.

South Korea - 35 cases today. Going the right way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

If your a smoker or into vaping, stop now. Apparently it increases the risk factor according to data analyzed in China over the last few months. I have one with a drink at night but Im done now after reading that info.

Tobacco or something else?

If it's something else, I read that that isn't as bad as it doesn't decrease your lung capacity. It just depends on how much you smoke. One joint in the evening probably isn't that bad. Joints all day long however, might be.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,191 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

What exactly are the general symptoms of Corona? Hubby sent home cos he has a sore throat n runny nose. I've checked his temp, it's normal. We haven't travelled anywhere foreign or more than 10 miles from home. No confirmed cases in our part of country..yet.. but who's to say that half the country have it now n dont know about it?
    I've heard symptoms can be mild. Chances r hes a little head cold he caught from our son but of course now my mind is going Into overdrive.

Runny nose not normally one or the symptoms

Cough
    Fever
    Shortness of breath
    Muscular pain
    Fatigue

Seem to be the main symptoms. Runny nose, headache, diarrhoea, vomitus are present in a small amount of cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

is_that_so wrote: »
    Vallance, a top UK medical bod, yesterday suggested that handwashing can reduce the risk of infection by 54% so yeah wash your hands. As for the other measures Holohan too went on to explain the likely phased use of them. The possible risk as he sees it is public fatigue or resistance if they are introduced too early or for too long and ultimately ignoring it.

I'm not arguing against handwashing.

They've messed up in a multitude of ways. Here's another.

Imagine for a second that you've just gotten back from Madrid and you've got symptoms of the virus. You, like many people, haven't been paying much attention until quite recently. You go to the HSE website for info, and it tells you not to bother unless you've been to China, Hong Kong, Singapore, South Korea, Iran, Japan or the following regions in Italy - Lombardy, Veneto, Emilia-Romagna or Piedmont.

Do you ring? Probably not. You might well go to work if you're feeling up to it.

And this also would explain why all of the explained cases we have are linked with Northern Italy

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/advice-for-people-returning-from-affected-areas.html

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Finally convinced my parents to do some level of prep (though still don't see the point of utter panic). Four of us banding together to get a chest freezer, going to grab things we'd usually buy anyway (meat, etc).

Brother is a teacher, father a taxi driver. Can see brother getting off work for a while soon, and father has said if that happens, he's going to take a few weeks off too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,918 ✭✭✭circadian

Sore throat is a symptom but from what I can tell a runny nose is extremely rare (around 4% of cases reported it in a study). It's a lower respiratory illness so if he develops a fever and a harsh dry cough then I'd be contacting GP, but it's probably a head cold. I think I'm on my 4th or 5th cold this season since the two kids bring literally everything home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

is_that_so wrote: »
    South Korea - 35 cases today. Going the right way.

The right way?

How, why, what?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

What about grocery shopping ?
    Are local supermarkets still open and allowed to enter ?

Very good question, thanks, I forgot to say.

All shops and supermarkets are open, provided that people do not gather in large groups and they keep distance.
    At the beginning of the crisis, people would stock large amounts of everything and the shelves were empty, but now things appear to be quieter.
    It is possible to ask for a home delivery of shopping. Many shops and pharmacies offer this solution for free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

I've seen evidence to suggest that smokers were not a higher risk factor so you're going to have to post a link. The article I read made sense to me and it was Bruce Aylward so I will need evidence to change my mind.

Newstalk has Cathal Friel from the OpenOrphan vaccine company saying that Spring's arrival will see us all naturally immunised. But then if we're all naturally saved by the good weather, who will be getting their product? Agenda-driven nonsense, I hope I'm around to tell my grandchildren (or more likely, grand nieces and nephews) about the propaganda we've been subjected to over the last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

otnomart wrote: »
    Age profile of patients in Germany seems to be much, much younger

maybe just reflects more testing, once they aren't getting critical with it.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

The right way?

How, why, what?
    Downward trend.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

You know its the logical thing to do.

Ive a shed full of loo roll, but I never poop :rolleyes:

I went down to the river and collected hundreds of doc leaves, I brought them home and stuck them in the freezer.

If anyone needs to go, pop a couple in the microwave at defrost for 16 seconds.

Ahh nice and leafy on the backside. Just as nature intended.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

That we know of.

So 24 confirmed cases then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Heard there is a confirmed case in Naas hospital this morning .

Heard? Where? Source?

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    The Late Late Show have POSTPONED going to Limerick.

Just when you thought it couldn’t get any worse...

Coventry is available .

• Advertisement

Tobacco or something else?

If it's something else, I read that that isn't as bad as it doesn't decrease your lung capacity. It just depends on how much you smoke. One joint in the evening probably isn't that bad. Joints all day long however, might be.

Tobacco / cigarettes. It stated that men were more likely to have contracted coronavirus than women in China, and on average a lot more men smoke than women.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement