Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part V - 34 cases in ROI, 16 in NI (as of 10 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Drumpot wrote: »
    I’m sorry but this is such a stupid thing to take from it. We don’t have to panic to prepare and start taking action that may be an inconvenience but could make our outbreak less severe.

Italy might be our future, do you understand that? This is real. This isn’t like watching a war in Syria or some African country that won’t affect us, this is here and there is a moderate to severe chance (our governments) words that we will suffer a similar fate to Italy if we don’t take it seriously NOW, not when bodies are piling up.

Don't worry. I am sure the boards.ie Hard Chaws will be on soon telling you it is "Just a headcold", "No worse than the flu" and "Ireland is different"....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

niallo27 wrote: »
    This probably explains why their death rate is so low.

A lot of these cases, at least here in Hamburg, are young people/families returning from mid-term vacations in Italy. Also a few cases of people coming in from Iran. The authorities are acting fast, putting them in quarantine, quickly locating those they were in contact with and isolating them, and closing down schools/creches for 2 weeks with immediate effect. Outside of NordRhein Westfalen it is being handled pretty well to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

otnomart wrote: »
    Age profile of patients in Germany seems to be much, much younger
    Source: https://www.rki.de/DE/Content/InfAZ/N/Neuartiges_Coronavirus/Situationsberichte/Gesamt.html

ESvEH5dVAAAoHQ7?format=jpg&name=large

This is very strange !

The German experience seems to be at odds with all the info to date.

Very few over 80 and the majority of patients are young/middle age.

I hope there is an explanation from the experts soon !

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,469 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Cheltenham starting today. 15,000 Irish people expected to make the journey over. I hope I'm wrong, but I reckon the UK Government will get hammered in two weeks time for allowing it to proceed.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Tomrota

Heard there is a confirmed case in Naas hospital this morning .

From where?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

The UKs Deputy Chief Medical Officer has noted that cancelling large outdoor events will have fcuk all effect on the spread of the coronavirus, noting that most outdoor events will be quite safe.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51812326

Will he implement mandatory one metre security distance ?
    It's the distance that's important, more so that indoors vs outdoors

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Shorten the summer holidays? - with the unionised teachers we have - not a chance.

They'll just end up with a couple of weeks extra holidays - fully paid of course.

If the will is there it can be done in the national interest Worry about the unions when this crisis has eased assuming it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

is_that_so wrote: »
    No it's just a number, reported number of new cases. You seem to be a glass barely covering the bottom type of individual I see. That the numbers of new cases is reducing is IMO a very positive thing but each to their own.

Yeah, I get that now, but only after Googling.

I didn't get your 35 cases post, but I'm also thrilled that it's peaked, and is now slowing down and reducing (hopefully).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Mr.S wrote: »
    IMO if employers can have staff work remote, it’s a good thing to enforce unless really needed onsite. The less close contact and having staff deal with public transport etc the better.

Same with schools, they should ideally close as a precautionary measure. If schools close, employers will need to react anyway.

I am the last person to over react, and I’m still really skeptical about how bad this could get in Ireland - but simple measures like the above are non-brainers.

I'd have to ask why you are so skeptical.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Mr.S wrote: »
    IMO if employers can have staff work remote, it’s a good thing to enforce unless really needed onsite. The less close contact and having staff deal with public transport etc the better.

Same with schools, they should ideally close as a precautionary measure. If schools close, employers will need to react anyway.

I am the last person to over react, and I’m still really skeptical about how bad this could get in Ireland - but simple measures like the above are non-brainers.

I work for a large multi-national here in Dublin. We're basically just waiting on the nod from the gov to work from home. Have been for some time.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 48 viewfromtheuk

https://imgur.com/a/XZXy0C9
    Don't know if its another bus or one of the two from yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Posts that begin with:-
    "Just heard....
    "Don't quote me on this....
    "Someone said....
    "Someone told me...
    Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭brevity

• Registered Users Posts: 7,143 ✭✭✭pad199207

Heard? Where? Source?
    They are stopping all going in now to the hospital

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

nthclare wrote: »
    Self sufiency again.
    I went out there the other evening to a fishing spot which I don't publicise , caught plenty of whiting, cod and have them cleaned out frozen and hopefully I'll catch a few bass over the next few days.

Only one bass a day within size per person, but flounders are plentiful enough.

You know that they say:

A bass a day.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

You gotta love the dramatic “KEEP OUT” signs , why not just lock the bus ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

gabeeg wrote: »

Proposals are to stop the payment of taxes and excises for those self employed that will prove to have suffered a loss above 25% of last year income.
    Many more suspensions are on the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

Drumpot wrote: »
    I think I remember that news conference from Dr Aylward and he said they couldn’t find a direct link to smoking and severe cases. Now smoking will automatically increase your chances of dieing regardless of virus but I think what he was saying that they weren’t sure smoking explained the higer male issues. Around the world you have different levels of smokers and it seems to still equate to higher male patients.
    I read (can't find source) that because of the cilia on bronchioles being contaminated by tar etc from smoking, the virus has a more difficult time attaching and gaining footing in the lungs, so although more smokers will get it (because of regular hand/face contact), they are less likely to reach the second phase of infection where the viral and bacterial pneumonia infects the lungs at the same time.

But I doubt that information will be widely publicised, because telling people to take up smoking would lead to another massive public health issue down the line :D

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Tomrota

Maybe close the schools this week and make up for lost classes by teaching online as much as possible and/or shortening the summer holidays which are probably too long anyway when compared to the UK for example. Assuming the virus outbreak has subsided by the summer of course.
    Why would they shorten the summer holidays? People will have already done their Leaving Cert by then. As for primary school and junior cert/TY students, the lost time makes absolutely no difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

pad199207 wrote: »
    They are stopping all going in now to the hospital

They stopped visiting before today, as a preventative measure, applied to all hospitals within the Dublin Midlands Hospital group.

wuhan whispers out there already though

• Registered Users Posts: 19 MrsDoyl3

My sons school got back to me this morning, and i have been advised to keep my son off school, poor principal was very annoyed the parents that travelled back from Disneyland had not informed the school as the school had requested, although he did remind me that no quarantine rules were put in place by the HSE but my husbands employer are asking all their lorry drivers returning from the eu to self quarantine for 2 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

The UKs Deputy Chief Medical Officer has noted that cancelling large outdoor events will have fcuk all effect on the spread of the coronavirus, noting that most outdoor events will be quite safe.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51812326

Nice to see a bit of non-hysterical reporting.

No doubt the armchair experts of Boards know better though.
    Your a brave man putting that in here, that doesn’t suit the agenda here!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭QueenMTBee

Micky 32 wrote: »
    You gotta love the dramatic “KEEP OUT” signs , why not just lock the bus ;)

It's because an animal or person soiled the bus and it needs to be cleaned/sterilised before it goes back into service. Nothing to do with Covid 19 as Dublin Bus announced themselves on the radio yesterday morning.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Cheltenham starting today. 15,000 Irish people expected to make the journey over. I hope I'm wrong, but I reckon the UK Government will get hammered in two weeks time for allowing it to proceed.

You`re not wrong. Same as allowing football and rugby matches etc to carry on as normal with only token restrictions in place. But then Boris and his buddies have been getting hammered for a long time now and it hasn`t bothered them too much. Hopefully this time they will get the message from the ****storm that is coming down the tracks at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

brevity wrote: »

Wonder if this Case is already oncluder in the 24 confirmed Cases ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

That monkey one brought a tear to my eye

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

If the will is there it can be done in the national interest Worry about the unions when this crisis has eased assuming it does.

If the crisis doesn’t cease . . . Is this the apocalypse???

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Another French export..France becoming Italy II? New case in Morocco, a french tourist hospitalised in Marrakesch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭quokula

Yeah, I get that now, but only after Googling.

I didn't get your 35 cases post, but I'm also thrilled that it's peaked, and is now slowing down and reducing (hopefully).

Yep as seen in Asia, every country that's reached an advanced stage has seen it peak, and start to reduce, long before it gets close to infecting 0.1% of the population. The reports that it's going to infect 60%+ are wildly out of line with the data to date. It's only exponential until it's not.

From the Guardian this morning:
    “In the province of Lodi, and even more so, in Codogno, there’s a net reduction in the number of positive cases,” said Giulio Galleria, the welfare councillor for Lombardy, the region worst affected.

Italy will have peaked and started dropping soon, just like every other hard hit country so far.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement