Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part V - 34 cases in ROI, 16 in NI (as of 10 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Ikozma

Mr Velo wrote: »
    Hearing rumours (fake news quite possibly of course) that all schools will close from next week for 5 weeks (back after Easter Break).

Not a hope for 5 wks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

BigMo1 wrote: »
    That article and headline isn't healthy and are designed to induce panic. Is that "senior funeral director" even qualified to make such statements?

Funeral directors have been advised that any person who dies of coronavirus should be immediately cremated or buried without a funeral service.

The Irish Association of Funeral Directors has distributed a list of radical recommendations in the event of Covid-19 related deaths.

https://amp.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/coronavirus-victims-to-be-immediately-buried-without-funeral-service-39031428.html

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Steve F wrote: »
    This hand washing malarkey?
    I see it still isn't applying to some people using public conveniences
    Staggers the mind

That isn't putting them at any more risk than they would normally be going to the loo. Washing your own hands isn't going to save you from being infected, unless you by chance have just unknowingly shook hands with someone who is infected and you've not yet got round to picking your nose since then. Hand washing is to protect other people from you who might already be infected without knowing it.

Yes they should still be washing their hands, but it's not really themselves they are putting at risk, it's anyone else they meet. It's to protect the group, not to protect you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Stock markets rebounding strongly after yesterday's losses.

the italian lockdown will instill some confidence anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,575 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

DrumSteve wrote: »

A lot of yesterday's falls were more to do with the supply of cheap oil from Saudi which was done intentionally to hurt Iran.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

The implication of that is there there are currently too many people in there over the age of 65; not that they had a complete clear out and only people under 65 are in hospital now.

As with everything, there are outliers. There was always a possibility of people under 65 dying or needing ventilation.

What's staggerig is that even by filtering out over 65 and people with pre-existing life treatening condition hospitals still filled up. It means that thousands of critical patients currently in the italian hospitals are all outside of the at-risk demographic

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Note the distances between people!
    001397f8-800.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

Ikozma wrote: »
    Not a hope for 5 wks

for my school really that's only 2.5 weeks (13 days) as schools are out for 2 weeks during Easter, paddys day is off and our sch has a training day so it's not completely implausible and if we pushed summer holidays out by 2 weeks the time will be made up

But yes I think fake news .... I suspect this will be considered when we enter phase 2 and they will wait for as long as possible before implementing these measures. What are we ... any 10 days behind our European colleagues in terms of numbers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

Stock markets up slightly as people try to make a quick dollar on bargain stocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

laurah591 wrote: »
    for my school really that's only 2.5 weeks (13 days) as schools are out for 2 weeks during Easter, paddys day is off and our sch has a training day so it's not completely implausible and if we pushed summer holidays out by 2 weeks the time will be made up

It’s what they should do. Would teachers be happy to push the summer holidays by two weeks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

I am waiting to see how markets react when France starts enforcing some type of lockdown closely followed by Germany. Probably within a week or 2.

Not to mention if New-York ever has to go into a lock down and Wall Street traders start fearing for their own families.

Why go into quarantine when you send staff to be quarantined in your stead..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Not a hope for 5 wks
    It’s what they should do. Would teachers be happy to push the summer holidays by two weeks?

Realistically, it would mean delaying all state exams too.

Is it really that big a deal to just let schools have two weeks off to deal with a pandemic without counting days and trying to make them up?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Not a hope for 5 wks

I think once they close, they close for a long time., that’s why they are trying to push it out as long as they can. Once our healthcare services are stretched they pull the trigger on schools, don’t be surprised if they are closed until September

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Mr Velo wrote: »
    Hearing rumours (fake news quite possibly of course) that all schools will close from next week for 5 weeks (back after Easter Break).

Again, like you, hearsay so far, but from 2 separate folk, meeting yesterday apparently and an INTO one too, suggesting schools will close from friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

pad199207 wrote: »
    Completely unconfirmed but I’m hearing schools may be closing next Wednesday for a month
    Entirely sensible IMO. Schools are going to be the worst places for virus transmission. There's far less physical distance between schoolchildren and workers in most cases.

Our local grammar school here in the outskirts of Berlin had a confirmed case and the idiots have only enforced isolation for 3 classes. We believe this is wholly inadequate.

Better to effectively postpone the school term into the summer when the virus will hopefully have weakened like the flu.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭00benski

pad199207 wrote: »
    Completely unconfirmed but I’m hearing schools may be closing next Wednesday for a month

Oh for f*** sake. Can people please stop posting stuff up here without confirmation. Its adding to the hysteria and it's plain wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

tillyfilly wrote: »
    Funeral directors have been advised that any person who dies of coronavirus should be immediately cremated or buried without a funeral service.

The Irish Association of Funeral Directors has distributed a list of radical recommendations in the event of Covid-19 related deaths.

https://amp.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/coronavirus-victims-to-be-immediately-buried-without-funeral-service-39031428.html

60 of Spain's rising coronavirus total traced to one funeral !

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    What's staggerig is that even by filtering out over 65 and people with pre-existing life treatening condition hospitals still filled up. It means that thousands of critical patients currently in the italian hospitals are all outside of the at-risk demographic

Yeah, it could seem that way, but my understanding is that, due to the length of the recovery time, it's still full of elderly people who were there from the start so to speak so thats why they are being selective now.

Awful situation to be in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

My friend's boss came back from an undisclosed location (won't tell him) in that general region and won't self isolate either. The boss told him use his annual leave if he insists on staying out and that he wouldn't cooperate with requests for social welfare because he's being hysterical. My friend has a wife who has cancer and a young child with a heart condition. Nice boss.

He's taking his laissez faire attitude from the government who are still not taking this seriously.

Simon Coveney is still listening to failed experts.
    He should be listening to Chinese experts.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Not a hope for 5 wks

They're due to close for 2 weeks anyway and some are closed for a few days anad half days over the next fortnight too. It's really only an extra 2.5 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

is_that_so wrote: »
    001397f8-800.jpg

Someone needs to tell those people that masks don't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

MadYaker wrote: »
    We are beyond this point now. As this gathers momentum the hse will only test people who are very ill and in hospital because soon there will be so many that they’ll simply have to ignore anyone who isn’t in hospital. They are saying they are still in the containment phase but really we’ve moved to the delay phase now. If you haven’t watched Leo’s press conference from last night you should, it’s on his Twitter. If I can find it I’ll link it in the thread.

Containment and delay only work if you ban travel from a Red Zone, and trace everyone who came from there. We didn't do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Just saw a guy buying a large box of dust masks in my local CO-OP.

still plenty on the shelves mind, though the dog food was scarce

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

00benski wrote: »
    Oh for f*** sake. Can people please stop posting stuff up here without confirmation. Its adding to the hysteria and it's plain wrong.
    Hear! Hear!

...and 99% of the time is utter nonsense!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

robinph wrote: »
    That isn't putting them at any more risk than they would normally be going to the loo. Washing your own hands isn't going to save you from being infected, unless you by chance have just unknowingly shook hands with someone who is infected and you've not yet got round to picking your nose since then. Hand washing is to protect other people from you who might already be infected without knowing it.

Yes they should still be washing their hands, but it's not really themselves they are putting at risk, it's anyone else they meet. It's to protect the group, not to protect you.

Please explain the difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,312 ✭✭✭✭fits

Xertz wrote: »
    To be quite honest, the country that I would be most concerned about not handling this very well, and that has the resources to do so, is probably the USA.

Big time, I wonder if this will swing support towards Sanders who is advocating universal healthcare.

Sobering news about hospitals in Italy not taking over 65s. Thats truly terrible. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Volthar

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Someone needs to tell those people that masks don't work.

They seem to work in China and Korea. They only "do not work" in Ireland as you can't buy them anywhere and if you can it is >€3 apiece = crime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Hearing first hand some measures being implemented in Italy this morning and what the ban means. Sounds similar to wuhan but with an Italian flavour more documentation / less action and more watered down.

Posting as may prove useful as a comparison if / when it comes here.
    • If you have to go to work you have to sign a disclaimer of some description.
    • Covers your route to work and approved by local government.
    • Only allowed outside for work and shopping
    • Only one family member can get shopping

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

is_that_so wrote: »
    001397f8-800.jpg

Body double.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement