Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part V - 34 cases in ROI, 16 in NI (as of 10 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭leavingirl

Unearthly wrote: »
    Feck me they are strong statements from Leo

He is a marionette. Take no notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭R.F.

I realise this is not an important issue in the grand scheme of things. But just realised I have 3 nights booked in Dublin in june as I am attending a couple of gigs. If what I believe will happen and concerts begin to get postponed, I no longer will require the room. Chekeced my email now and it is nonrefundable. But I wonder in extreme cases like you know a global pandemic will there be allowances?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

How many is that for the day in Spain?

At least 600, I think it was 450 yesterday, but cant remember exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Cuckoo7

There’s gonna be a heat wave in Spain these next few days, up to 33º.
    Do you think it will help slow it down?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

leavingirl wrote: »
    He is a marionette. Take no notice.

Wise words, what exactly?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring2

Dow dropped 2000 points with two half hours to go to close. Tonight will be bad too, if they're not a rally at the end. It only Monday!

505135.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭2ygb4cmqetsjhx

banie01 wrote: »
    What's changed?

Earlier today it was all rosy while you posted from the subway?

Exactly nothing. The point is we are on the same trajectory of growth and no real measures to slow down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

wakka12 wrote: »
    There is very significant community spread occurring in Madrid right now which is experiecing daily highs of around 17- 24 C the last few days which would mean the virus also thrives in temperate climates as well as cool and cold.

Isn't it five days average before symptoms appear? What was the weather like last Wednesday?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,575 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

wakka12 wrote: »
    At least 700, I think it was 450 yesterday, but cant remember exactly.

Oh dear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Cuckoo7 wrote: »

No.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭leavingirl

Silverfish wrote: »
    You don't seem to be grasping this at all.

Your chance of getting it is higher than 1 in 10000. Your chance of dying might be lower, but the chance of passing it on to a parent, grandparent, person with cancer, heart disease, kidney disease.... that's very high.
    If (or when) you DO get it, or come in contact with someone who has it, and you and your family, or workplace, have to self-isolate for two weeks, you *will* need extra supplies. You can't be going to the shops.
    Even if you do think 'Sure I'm grand, I've got the virus but I'm ok screw everyone I'm going to do my weekly shop'....

Supply chains *will* be affected, I can assure you of that, with haulage company drivers, warehouse staff, order pickers, all at risk of either catching CV, or being in contact with a carrier, and being told to self-isolate.
    I know people love to believe that their food and necessities just pop on to supermarket shelves as if by magic, but there's a lot of shipping, transport, picking, packing, and offloading to be done before it arrives at a supermarket back door.

You WILL need 2 weeks worth of food, 2 weeks worth of soaps, washing powder, drinks, as the spread of this virus relies on people being decent human beings and limiting the spread of this to compromised people. You shouldn't just go to the shop and risk spreading this to other people just because you're under 40 and at less risk.

My god like.

You're a hero.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Cuckoo7 wrote: »

The pessimistic in me believes that heat will do nothing to stop the virus

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

Inquitus wrote: »
    The US is completely screwed, they didn't use the WHO test intially and developed their own which they fluffed and it didn't work properly, they are only testing those who have been in contact with the virus, despite 90% of their cases being "community sourced". It is all going to explode over there in a massive way in the next couple of weeks. Trump going on TV saying its a Democratic Hoax, hosting his rallies, while untracked Covid-19 has already found its way to 30 odd states, they don't even know how many people they have tested as each current sample needs 2 tests, but it's said to be less than 10k.

Timebomb just waiting to go off, mainly due to Trump prioritising the Stockmarket and re-election over anything else, and knowing more about epidemiology than anyone who reports to him!
    The other potential time bomb is Turkey, 0 cases despite being surrounded by countries reporting cases including Iran. They are flat out lying and now trying to force thousands into EU through Greek border.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

Your chance of getting it is higher than 1 in 10000. Your chance of dying might be lower, but the chance of passing it on to a parent, grandparent, person with cancer, heart disease, kidney disease.... that's very high.
    If (or when) you DO get it, or come in contact with someone who has it, and you and your family, or workplace, have to self-isolate for two weeks, you *will* need extra supplies. You can't be going to the shops.
    Even if you do think 'Sure I'm grand, I've got the virus but I'm ok screw everyone I'm going to do my weekly shop'....

Supply chains *will* be affected, I can assure you of that, with haulage company drivers, warehouse staff, order pickers, all at risk of either catching CV, or being in contact with a carrier, and being told to self-isolate.
    I know people love to believe that their food and necessities just pop on to supermarket shelves as if by magic, but there's a lot of shipping, transport, picking, packing, and offloading to be done before it arrives at a supermarket back door.

You WILL need 2 weeks worth of food, 2 weeks worth of soaps, washing powder, drinks, as the spread of this virus relies on people being decent human beings and limiting the spread of this to compromised people. You shouldn't just go to the shop and risk spreading this to other people just because you're under 40 and at less risk.

My god like.

I agree with you almost entirely, but just wanted to add the point that even if healthy, it wrecks your lungs.
    Doesn't back up statement but thanks for the link.

Stop wasting my time.
    One in seven patients develops difficulty breathing and other severe complications, while 6% become critical. These patients typically suffer failure of the respiratory and other vital systems, and sometimes develop septic shock, according to a report by last month’s joint World Health Organization-China mission.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,977 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Weepsie wrote: »
    600 is the maximum awarded (some get extra).

Medicine is also in demand, and there's a finite amount of resources to teach it.

There are different routes too as well. Longer, but different. A biology degree can then lead into medicine if a student was determined enough.

This was in 2013. Sorry, I have totally mis-remembered things. She actually got 600 points out of a possible 625, and yet ended up in nursing, ffs!

My daughter got 589 last year. I would have liked her to have perhaps attempted to get into medicine but she has profound social phobia/anxiety we thought that probably wouldn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

The folks in the uk just announced Phase 2 will be expected in t-10days.

Also, they want to 'limit' infections to 'only' 50% of the entire population.
    The potential numbers requiring a hospital's services would not be wild at the 2m figure (just for Eng).

Will there even be any old folks left after the full 24wks (12wk to peak, and reverse epicurve after this).

Also if you're in London during Phase 3/4, might want to start to get 'a bit concerned'.

You think 2 million people needing a hospital in the UK over the same short period is not Wild?

Have a watch of this. They can't deal with a normal day on the NHS much better than the HSE can. Add even 10-15% more to that and every hospital is off call.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Isn't it five days average before symptoms appear? What was the weather like last Wednesday?

Yeh thats important actually , just looked it up and the weather the last two weeks in Madrid has been about 12- 16C highs most days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Dow dropped 2000 points with two half hours to go to close. Tonight will be bad too, if they're not a rally at the end. It only Monday!

Europe closed at -8%, the US will follow similar (-7% currently).

Oil was kicked down 20% in one day, and a price war is looming between Rus vs SA & Co.

Predict global markets will have to cease, or apply limited trading for 8-12wks during peak pandemic, then only gradual recovery towards mid-summer. Then there's a potential Wave2 in November.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

00benski wrote: »
    As a business owner and an employer in this country I have to say I have never ever come across so much misinformation as I have over the last few days whilst reading through this tread.

Plenty of people spreading panic and it's terrible to see. As of today we have had two big things cancelled this week that will ultimately lose us a huge amount of revenue. Its really worrying times for the majority of business owners I can garuntee that. Its OK when you are sitting at home still getting paid by your employer laughing and smiling at the rumours being spread around the table about how many people COULD die.

Please stop spreading idle talk about what might happen because you will regret it when your employer turns around in a month's time and says "sorry I have to reduce your wages or let you go" when all this could have had minimal impact.

Spreading panic? Do you realize people are going to die from this? But you're worried over lost revenue over the cancellations of the parades? We're all ****ed with this, there will be money lost over this virus that's spreading across the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,011 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

My god like.

Your taking what you want to hear from my post, my post was in response to the op saying supermarkets would be empty. Of course I know things will be affected but not everyone is going be out of action. The vast majority will be ok and will be able to provide for others.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

chicorytip wrote: »
    What a grossly irresponsible statement by that Professor from the RCSI that this has the potential to kill up to 120,000 in Ireland. If the entire population end up infected the vast majority, including over seventies with underlying problems, will experience mild flu-like symptoms, at worst. Corona is a virus which dies and leaves the body after five days. Take paracetemol and plenty of hot drinks.
    You should let Italians know.

You are either incredibly stupid or just the worst kind of horrible troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

leavingirl wrote: »
    You're a hero.

A true patriot

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Cuckoo7

Oh dear

LOS DATOS DEL CORONAVIRUS EN ESPAÑA

Cifras totales: 1.209 casos diagnosticados (29 muertos)

577 en Madrid (16 muertos)
    149 en País Vasco (6 muertos)
    102 en La Rioja
    101 en Cataluña (3 muertos)
    54 en Andalucía
    37 en la Comunidad Valenciana (1 muerto)
    33 en Castilla y León
    32 en Aragón (3 muertos)
    26 en Castilla-La Mancha
    22 en Canarias
    19 en Galicia
    12 en Cantabria
    11 en Baleares
    10 en Asturias
    7 en Extremadura.
    5 en Murcia
    3 en Navarra
    Hay algo más de 30 casos curados
    Fuente: Ministerio de Sanidad y Consejerías autonómicas

So 1209 positives and 29 dead.
    Over 30 recovered.

Anyone got a slinky to the dept of health press conference?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,984 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I see Trump is still at 'it's just a flu' stage.

On the other hand the leaders in Europe are at the 'oh bollocks' stage

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭ElBastardo1

I just had a check through the Boards threads on the Swine Flu pandemic back in 2009. The thread was discussing that 25% of the population could get the illness. in the end 1000 people in Ireland caught it. So i'm thinking this is more panic than what the reality actually will be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

niallo27 wrote: »
    Well it's not deadly if you under 40, the chances of getting it and dieing are probably 1 in 10000.
    DrumSteve wrote: »
    I'm glad we are a food secure nation.

But I get the feeling the government are about to sell the elderly down the river here.
    Strazdas wrote: »
    The one good thing is that the numbers of deaths worldwide (4000) is still very low.

We cannot just assume this will soon become 40,000......it might never happen.
    chicorytip wrote: »
    What a grossly irresponsible statement by that Professor from the RCSI that this has the potential to kill up to 120,000 in Ireland. If the entire population end up infected the vast majority, including over seventies with underlying problems, will experience mild flu-like symptoms, at worst. Corona is a virus which dies and leaves the body after five days. Take paracetemol and plenty of hot drinks.

We are in a serious situation I can not believe the amount of downright stupid posts in the last half hour alone.

Can we put a stop to this please mods?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

Deutsche Bank in real trouble, financially this had gotten very bad very quickly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭PhantomHat

Can anyone give a likely timescale to all of this, in other words predicted time to peak of infections in Ireland and eventual wane?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement