Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FG to just do nothing for the next 5 years.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67,228 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Dunno - I haven't voted FF ever and a No1 for FG just once, 30 years ago.

But I would strongly consider a No1 if that direction if there was another election soon. No fan of them but if the alternative is SF, not much choice.

They are gonna need a few of you.

Had FG switched tack and done something different after the election (like not take a remarkable and unprecedented huff) I might change my view. But they have doubled down on the strategy.

I, of course could be wrong, but I am not sensing any improvement for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

I expect FG's vote to fall even further in another election.

I expect they do too if they are considering a mergercoalition with FF. Anathema to both of them until...well until SF.

I don't expect an election until nov 24 or a merger
    I could of course like you be wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

There's a fair amount of 'floating vote' that sloshes this way & that. It went SFs way this time, maybe not so next. The voting public are fickle.

Francie, it's not that voters may want to vote FF FG but don't discount a strong ABSF vote. That's the way any campaign would be framed.

Mortelaro wrote: »
    I don't expect an election until nov 24 or a merger
    I could of course like you be wrong

Why Nov 24th?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

McMurphy wrote: »
    That's the point - unless FFG merge one of them is most likely facing a wipeout, there's simply not enough between them policy wise for them both to exist separately in their current forms.

They'll keep splitting the votes for people who aren't voting SF.

But there is enough voters for the alphabet soup of left parties that are currently out there?

I wouldn't write any obituaries until we see how SF perform in government, it could be the first and last time we see them in charge.

Until that point it is likely we'll start seeing a lot more of Vote non-SF, transfer non-SF...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

That's the point - unless FFG merge one of them is most likely facing a wipeout, there's simply not enough between them policy wise for them both to exist separately in their current forms.

They'll keep splitting the votes for people who aren't voting SF.

a merger, loses another third , possibly more, of what they currently have jointly. They might not like it, but they might just have to accept, that they are going to be joined at the hip. And they could even try the mad notion, of addressing the problems here over the next few years and winning over half the seats between them for the next government term...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Idbatterim wrote: »
    a merger, loses another third , possibly more, of what they currently have jointly. They might not like it, but they might just have to accept, that they are going to be joined at the hip. And they could even try the mad notion, of addressing the problems here over the next few years and winning over half the seats between them for the next government term...

Your last sentence sums it up. Address the problems and they'll get the vote back, mine included.
    But dont expect me to change my vote for them now if another election is called. They've still to prove themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Rather than ignore the point,which party polled highest in Simon's constituency again and what do you think that does to your silly 15th count comment
    I'll tell you what
    Makes it even more naive

He spoke on Sio, you diverted to the FG first preference vote in the constituency.
    Is it still that touchy a subject for ye lads? It's done and over.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Your last sentence sums it up. Address the problems and they'll get the vote back, mine included.
    But dont expect me to change my vote for them now if another election is called. They've still to prove themselves.

look, other posters have summed this up. There are just some blinkered FFG fan bois here. Their performance has been entirely unacceptable to many of us, we dont think there is some great saviour. But perhaps the only way to get some way effective governance here, is to give FFG the serious rattle, that they have been. There was no other tool left...

We already have economic mismanagement with FFG! People arent scare of their propeganda and rightfully so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Foxtrol wrote: »
    But there is enough voters for the alphabet soup of left parties that are currently out there?

I wouldn't write any obituaries until we see how SF perform in government, it could be the first and last time we see them in charge.

Until that point it is likely we'll start seeing a lot more of Vote non-SF, transfer non-SF...

I think that's it. SF stands out so they got more attention from the shopping voter. Like how FG helped FF come back after the last crash making FF relevant and keeping them in the news.

• Advertisement

Bowie wrote: »
    He spoke on Sio, you diverted to the FG first preference vote in the constituency.
    Is it still that touchy a subject for ye lads? It's done and over.

What sort of an answer is that?
    I merely pointed out he was on doddery ground suggesting simon Harris would lose in Wicklow where FG had more 1st prefs than SF

I merely pointed out he was on doddery ground suggesting simon Harris would lose in Wicklow where FG had more 1st prefs than SF

I actually said Simon wouldn't relish going back on campaign and having to spend it in captivity, as he did the last one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

It's not who breaks the ribbon, but how you get across.

Didn't John Brady top the poll in Wicklow?

IMG-20200224-203934.jpg

Harris didn't get elected until the fifteenth, that's the reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cryptocurrency

FG want to blame others for Brexit and the coming recession. We all know what they are trying to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,267 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

FG want to blame others for Brexit and the coming recession. We all know what they are trying to do.

So who's fault is Brexit?

FG???

It's not who breaks the ribbon, but how you get across.

Didn't John Brady top the poll in Wicklow?

IMG-20200224-203934.jpg

Harris didn't get elected until the fifteenth, that's the reality.
    Reality is FG won the popular vote in Wicklow
    A rather shakey stat as evidence Simon's seat is in jeopardy
    You guys really are high on the protest vote arent ye
    Fickle it is,I tells ye
    Fickle
    Have a plan b,c and d,I'd advise
    Or none at all if you think the country will go communist

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Reality is FG won the popular vote in Wicklow
    A rather shakey stat as evidence Simon's seat is in jeopardy
    You guys really are high on the protest vote arent ye
    Fickle it is,I tells ye
    Fickle
    Have a plan b,c and d,I'd advise
    Or none at all if you think the country will go communist
    3 runners and by just over 1000 (and you're the one using the word fickle). I wouldn't be singing their praises too much.
    Do you think if Timmins and Doyle didn't run that Harris would have got over 18,000 votes? Not a chance.
    How he got in at all must be something the Wicklow voters have asked themelves.

Suckit wrote: »
    3 runners and by just over 1000. I wouldn't be singing their praises too much.
    Do you think if Timmins and Doyle didn't run that Harris would have got over 18,000 votes? Not a chance.
    How he got in at all must be something the Wicklow voters have asked themelves.
    I'd imagine like the rest of the country if Sf ran at least 2 candidates per constituency they wouldn't have topped the poll in many but theyd have had more seats at the expense of other far left parties mainly
    Theyd be faced with the same issue though in the Dail
    Far left numbers being too small

If fg just ran 2 in t Wicklow in that scenario, Simon would top yes I'd imagine

I'd imagine like the rest of the country if Sf ran at least 2 candidates per constituency they wouldn't have topped the poll in many but theyd have had more seats at the expense of other far left parties mainly
    Theyd be faced with the same issue though in the Dail
    Far left numbers being too small

If fg just ran 2 in t Wicklow in that scenario, Simon would top yes I'd imagine

You must be hoping time will stand still.

The poll last week saw SF at 35% and FF FG had fallen into the teens. That means further seat losses for FF FG.

You must be hoping time will stand still.

The poll last week saw SF at 35% and FF FG had fallen into the teens. That means further seat losses for FF FG.

Rofl
    Go and smoke some more protest vote pipe will ya
    I'm all for whatever makes people happy:D

There isnt an ice cubes chance in hell that theres a 35% far left vote in Ireland today
    Never mind after 5 years of problem solving
    Dream on

• Advertisement

Rofl
    Go and smoke some more protest vote pipe will ya
    I'm all for whatever makes people happy:D

There isnt an ice cubes chance in hell that theres a 35% far left vote in Ireland today
    Never mind after 5 years of problem solving
    Dream on

There was the same sort of reaction here when SF polled 25% in a poll. They finished on 24.5%.

There was the same sort of reaction here when SF polled 25% in a poll. They finished on 24.5%.

Yeah I know but like,you keeps forgetting it's a protest vote
    They dont happen when theres not much to protest about
    If there is after 5 years of whatever government we have next,the government would deserve a bigger trashing alright

• Registered Users Posts: 85,503 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Leo Varadkar has claimed Sinn Féin’s planned rallies are part of a “campaign of intimidation and bullying”. The Taoiseach said he believed the decision by the party to hold events around the country was “an unwelcome development”

https://www.businesspost.ie/politics/sinn-fein-rallies-part-of-campaign-of-intimidation-says-varadkar-a042c4f7

Leo clearly does not want another election

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Of course not. It's clear he wants to keep the electorate at a distance from himself and his ministers.they see engaging the electorate as beneath them.they absolutely got their arses handed to them when they went out in public during the election.they've also done nothing to endear themselves to the electorate since the election.

smurgen wrote: »
    Of course not. It's clear he wants to keep the electorate at a distance from himself and his ministers.they see engaging the electorate as beneath them.they absolutely got their arses handed to them when they went out in public during the election.they've also done nothing to endear themselves to the electorate since the election.

The absolute arrogance to hide two key ministers from account during the campaign. I wonder how anyone rationalised voting for Harris and Murphy, when they treated their electorate with such disdain.
    Harris can't be kept off the media since the election.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Any word from Alan Shatter on this?
    Would remind ya of Fine Gael removing homeless people with mechanical diggers so it would .

https://news.sky.com/story/israeli-minister-defends-bulldozer-being-used-to-scoop-palestinian-mans-body-11942039

• Registered Users Posts: 14,037 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

smurgen wrote: »
    Any word from Alan Shatter on this?
    Would remind ya of Fine Gael removing homeless people with mechanical diggers so it would .

https://news.sky.com/story/israeli-minister-defends-bulldozer-being-used-to-scoop-palestinian-mans-body-11942039

Anti-semtic remark is anti-semtic....

But not surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I wonder how anyone rationalised voting for Harris and Murphy, when they treated their electorate with such disdain.

That's not quite true for Murphy, many of the property speculating gobsh!tes who are gleefully bleeding people dry amidst the rent crisis probably come from his constituency and were more than happy to vote for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I expect FG's vote to fall even further in another election.

Not a chance of it dropping. Apart from the fact that the electorate feels now it has punished FG for being in government, SF had been exposed as having worse TDs than Maria Bailey.

SF have, in a few short days, a charity cheater, an anti semitist and a traditional "Up the RA" man (we thought they'd gone away).

Their policies, now being seen as a possibility of actually happening in government, have been opened up to proper scrutiny and ridicule.

A lot of people wanted to give the government a bloody nose , and they did. But they didn't realise that so many wanted to do the same. It's one thing to do that, but another to think of the possibility of a SF minister for justice...

All FG or FF have to do is come up with a credible and realistic plan to deal with housing and SF will be shown up as snake oil salesman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

That's not quite true for Murphy, many of the property speculating gobsh!tes who are gleefully bleeding people dry amidst the rent crisis probably come from his constituency and were more than happy to vote for him.

You've no actual facts to back that up.
    Par for the course

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement