Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election TV debates

Options

Comments

RTE devoted over five minutes of the lead story on Paul Quinn & Mary Lou. Their agenda is crystal. Leo & MM portrayed in a soft light condemning said "scandal." No elderly people on trolleys, or homelessness crisis then.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

There is a possibility that SF will hold the balance of power if FF/FG do not coalesce or do a Confidence and Supply.

So what, it is a democracy and let them be hoist by their own petard. If SF gets in as a junior partner in any Government they will be eaten up. They firstly have no idea what's involved in Governing in a Democratic non Terrrorist State, and secondly will be run ragged by the Institutions of State that they have no experience of either. But good luck to them if they do win a place in Government.

Might be interesting to see at the end of the day!

No chance ffg won’t be the next government. Varadkar three months away from Taoiseachs pension, he’d sell the country out for that alone. Then Mickey Mouse , won’t want to become first ff leader not to be Taoiseach.never mind what they say. They’d suck each other’s dicks if it means keeping the gravy train and axis of failure going !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,139 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

The thing is most of those you mention may not bother voting! Too busy recovering from Friday's hangover or whatever.

+ Saturday is diesel washing day!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,461 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Francie knew this was coming last week Dan, so much so I said it on here.

It par for the course. Remember the British lifting Gerry when it looked like the Shinners were going to do well before.

It was always going to happen...it's effects are getting less and less.

I’ve a question Francie if you don’t mind. Are the Sinn Fein party and it’s TDs and councillors infallible in your eyes ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,890 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Both my sons are under 30, both will be voting. Who for I have no idea but your attitude towards younger people is atrocious tbh.

Ah FGS you sound so patronising. No one knows if you have sons or not. My point was that there is often more heat than light in SF supporters, and that would apply to younger voters in general IMV.

OK with you for me having an opinion on MANY younger voters? They generally don't walk the walk really. But we shall see. I am not saying I know everything either, just an observation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66,997 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I’ve a question Francie if you don’t mind. Are the Sinn Fein party and it’s TDs and councillors infallible in your eyes ?

Absolutely not. What a stupid question.

It would be like me asking you are 'they all bad'.

You don't think that do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,874 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Will under 30s or so bother to go and vote. They surely have hangovers to nurse and friends to meet.
    What a load of rubbish, I think you under estimate people in that age bracket, the marriage referendum and repeal the 8th has imo really helped to politicise (if that's the right word) that demographic (I remember massive increases in young people signing up near those votes), I think a lot in that age range will vote SF.

RTE devoted over five minutes of the lead story on Paul Quinn & Mary Lou. Their agenda is crystal. Leo & MM portrayed in a soft light condemning said "scandal." No elderly people on trolleys, or homelessness crisis then.

It has been unrelenting all day.

Is that unfortunate woman any further on or nearer to getting justice? Not one inch closer, sadly. Same a s Mairia Cahill etc etc etc.

Used and then dropped like hot potatoes.

Absolutely not. What a stupid question.

It would be like me asking you are 'they all bad'.

You don't think that do you?

Okay so you don't but last night it was all about michael Martin and leo varadkar were at fault somehow over the Paul Quinn question. You said something about dockets.

They ? Politicians you mean ? Seeing as how you weren't clear as to who "they" were I'll infer you meant politicians. No of course I don't think politicians are all bad regardless of what party they are part of. Politicians are all human beings first and foremost so while I may have issues with many policies by all parties(and none) it's never personal with me.

I also don't think all of them are good either which is what I was asking you. You have answered you don't so I thank you for answering.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,890 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

My guess is that SF will get 33 or so bums on seats. Then the REAL Government parties who will lose many a seat will have to decide whether to join with SF or do another C+S arrangement, maybe in the opposite direction.

I think they will do anything to keep SF out.

• Advertisement

Okay so you don't but last night it was all about michael Martin and leo varadkar were at fault somehow over the Paul Quinn question. You said something about dockets.

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,286 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Idbatterim wrote: »
    No chance ffg won’t be the next government. Varadkar three months away from Taoiseachs pension, he’d sell the country out for that alone. Then Mickey Mouse , won’t want to become first ff leader nothing to be Taoiseach.never mind what they say. They’d suck each other’s dicks if it means keeping the gravy train and axis of failure going !

Where is this axis of failure exactly - near full employment etc
    You seem very melodramatic. Also it is interesting to note the the homeless figures are proportionally larger in NI (20k 1.09%) than the ROI (under 10k 0.2%). And the ROI is about 3 times the size. Yet SF are snuggled up to Arelene in Stormont up there. Yet there is more homeless.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/election-2020-fact-check-how-many-people-are-homeless-in-northern-ireland-1.4162666

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

What?

I'll go find the relevant quote from last night to refresh your memory so that we can have a constructive conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Ferm001

My guess is that SF will get 33 or so bums on seats. Then the REAL Government parties who will lose many a seat will have to decide whether to join with SF or do another C+S arrangement, maybe in the opposite direction.

I think this would be the best possible result for SF. They have now shown they can compete with the big 2. How long will a C&S last ? SF will be ready next time with increased numbers of candidates.
    SF play the long game.

Those on a trolley have less chance of getting beaten up, murdered and called a criminal at least. The homeless are probably arguably safer than Paul Quinn ever was at least if a homeless person is attacked - those in power would be upset about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Ferm001 wrote: »
    I think this would be the best possible result for SF. They have now shown they can compete with the big 2. How long will a C&S last ? SF will be ready next time with increased numbers of candidates.
    SF play the long game.

What are the chances of SF getting 35 seats?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Zetor19

Tans/fine fail be upset if a homeless person got attacked. They would in their holes.

Those on a trolley have less chance of getting beaten up, murdered and called a criminal at least. The homeless are probably arguably safer than Paul Quinn ever was at least if a homeless person is attacked - those in power would be upset about it.

There has been homeless people set alight and chopped up in Ireland in recent times. One was crippled with a JCB who tried to remove their tent.

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    What are the chances of SF getting 35 seats?

Paddy power are spilt on 5/6 over 28.5 seats and 5/6 under 28.5 seats

I think Leo and Martin not replying on the Paul Quinn stuff was an admission that they are a beaten docket on this stuff.

It's pointless, nobody wins, least of all the exploited victim and their family, and everybody feels a bit dirty after it.
    What?

Is this not use from last night ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Ah FGS you sound so patronising. No one knows if you have sons or not. My point was that there is often more heat than light in SF supporters, and that would apply to younger voters in general IMV.

OK with you for me having an opinion on MANY younger voters? They generally don't walk the walk really. But we shall see. I am not saying I know everything either, just an observation.

Your point was to make a general sweeping condescending comment towards the under 30's , remember they will be the ones you'll be relying on to pay your pension. As for my son's , your belief in what I say is of no importance to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,150 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Try watching or listening something else than RTE. Virgin and Newstalk are all over it too.

The fact that people are still whinging about this conspiracy is leading me to come around to IQ tests prior to being given a polling card.

There has been homeless people set alight and chopped up Ireland in recent times. One was crippled with a JCB who tried to remove their tent.

The key here tipp Gunner was the accident with the machinery was an accident. In NI there are 'accidents' or 'unfortunate incidents' with political undertones/excuses.

Big difference.

Is this not use from last night ?

Yes.

What is your point about it though?

The 2 westbrit party’s and rte ranting on about 1 incident and the country been overrun by drugs and robbery’s and murders, and the tans closing down gaurd stations and not one question to them by rte about it.

Zetor19 wrote: »
    Tans/fine fail be upset if a homeless person got attacked. They would in their holes.

If you think FF are tans well done on the time travelling I would love to know how you managed it.
    Leo was actually a Dr who cared for the sick in the medical profession.
    So there is a large irony to this post.

Fine Gael are the tans , have you been under a rock .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Where is this axis of failure exactly - near full employment etc
    You seem very melodramatic. Also it is interesting to note the the homeless figures are proportionally larger in NI (20k 1.09%) than the ROI (under 10k 0.2%). And the ROI is about 3 times the size. Yet SF are snuggled up to Arelene in Stormont up there. Yet there is more homeless.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/election-2020-fact-check-how-many-people-are-homeless-in-northern-ireland-1.4162666

Read the link you posted; the stats are actually a lot less than the 20k figure you and Varadkar are claiming:

"A report by the Northern Ireland Audit Office (NIAO) on Homelessness in Northern Ireland, which was published in November 2017, found that since 2005-6, around 20,000 households have presented to NIHE as homeless each year. On average, about 50 per cent of these were accepted as homeless."

"The NIHE estimated that in November 2018 there were 38 rough sleepers in Northern Ireland."

While the official figures are that just under 20,000 households presented as homeless in Northern Ireland in 2018, only 12,512 met the legal requirements of homelessness and were accepted as “full duty applicants”.

It is simply not possible to compare the two systems - or sets of figures - because of the significant differences in approach, methodology and criteria.

Zetor19 wrote: »
    The 2 westbrit party’s and rte ranting on about 1 incident and the country been overrun by drugs and robbery’s and murders, and the tans closing down gaurd stations and not one question to them by rte about it.

Use the term 'West Brit' (in the English tongue) does not really help your cause as you come across as the SF stereotype, that they are trying to get away from and broaden the demographic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,139 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

You catch on fairly fast!

Advertisement