Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Big Lawnmower Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,134 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

jtown wrote: »
    Thinking of purchasing the following for my moss filled garden.. Anyone have any experience with a machine like this ?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001P3NUMQ?ref=em_1p_1_ti&ref_=pe_22122701_435781281

Thanks

I bought this https://www.ebay.ie/itm/230V-ELECTRIC-LAWN-SCARIFIER-AERATOR-36-CM-1500W-3IN1-45L-SCHEPPACH-SC36/132457995139

and am very happy with it, free shipping from Italy so had it within 3-4 days

It rakes and scarifies which is a bit more useful than just the power rake IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭jtown

GreeBo wrote: »
    I bought this https://www.ebay.ie/itm/230V-ELECTRIC-LAWN-SCARIFIER-AERATOR-36-CM-1500W-3IN1-45L-SCHEPPACH-SC36/132457995139

and am very happy with it, free shipping from Italy so had it within 3-4 days

It rakes and scarifies which is a bit more useful than just the power rake IMO

Looks good - Does the Aerator add on come with it ?
    Ive 0.5 of an acre of a garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

Slightly off topic but anyone have an opinion on the Alpina brand for chainsaws that are available on agrieuro? As good as any or avoid ? Entry level . Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭red bull

I need to purchase a ride on that has to go through a 38 inch passage so I would appreciate help on choosing the best 33 -36inch mower the lawn is about a third of an acre

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

red bull wrote: »
    I need to purchase a ride on that has to go through a 38 inch passage so I would appreciate help on choosing the best 33 -36inch mower the lawn is about a third of an acre

Etesia bahia 80 or alpina do a narrow one or snapper.

• Advertisement

Although 3rd of an acre a 21inch walk behind would be fine.

monkeynuz wrote: »
    Although 3rd of an acre a 21inch walk behind would be fine.

Yea,but a half acre in another lawn

Yea,but a half acre in another lawn

Well I revert to my previous suggestion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

Where do you buy your batteries,
    is online cheaper that the local dealer?

monkeynuz wrote: »
    Etesia bahia 80 or alpina do a narrow one or snapper.

Would you rate a Husquarvarna or a Castlegarden

• Advertisement

Would you rate a Husquarvarna or a Castlegarden

Not so much husqvarna but I believe castelgarden are ok.

I know for a fact that the snappers and alpine are good from other people and I own an etesia albeit the pro version, but the bahia is fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭deezell

I recall you asking this about 8 months ago. Have you a budget in mind? 38 inches is 96.5cm, an 84 cm cut mower would generally have an overall width of 90cm, giving you just over an inch clearance either side. This Alpina is a basic enough b&s equipped version of a whole range of 84cm Castelgarden variants. Agrieuro site is handy as the width of each mower is given in the data.
    https://www.agrieuro.co.uk/alpina-bt-84-ride-on-mower-grass-collector-briggsstratton-344-cc-engine-p-12500.html

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭kaiserrussel

I took the plunge and purchased the stiga estate from agrieuro.

https://www.agrieuro.co.uk/stiga-estate-5092-ride-on-mower-briggsstratton-engine-grass-collector-mulching-system-p-10498.html

Let see how it goes. I’m probably a little mad buying so late in the season

Hi All

Will give a detailed report on this machine as soon as new season kicks off. Only got to use it 2/3 times before end of last season.

One thing I notice and I’m looking for some advice is around the alarm sounding when blades engage. Is there a list of scenarios where this alarm sounds out he then when the bag is full? It sounds when I engage blades, in thinking it might be a loose connection or something?

Hi All

Will give a detailed report on this machine as soon as new season kicks off. Only got to use it 2/3 times before end of last season.

One thing I notice and I’m looking for some advice is around the alarm sounding when blades engage. Is there a list of scenarios where this alarm sounds out he then when the bag is full? It sounds when I engage blades, in thinking it might be a loose connection or something?

Check is the bag seated properly, and check the sensor button for this. Same for tge seat sensor

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭kaiserrussel

deezell wrote: »

Check is the bag seated properly, and check the sensor button for this. Same for tge seat sensor

Ok I’ll take a look thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭P_Cash

Help
    A honda lawnmower, but which model

HRX 537 VYE
    Or
    HRX 537 HYE

Only diffeerence is the paddle/drive but not sure which to go for.
    Ive read online the VYE drive system can be annoying and its better sticking with tradition. More control,

Has anyone the select drive (paddle) and would you recommend.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭blackbox

P_Cash wrote: »
    Help

HRX 537 VYE
    Or
    HRX 537 HYE

Ive read online the VYE drive system can be annoying and its better sticking with tradition. More control,

Thanks

Not much difference in the price. I'd go with the hydrostatic.

Help

HRX 537 VYE
    Or
    HRX 537 HYE

Thanks

I have the select drive paddle one. Absolutely fine. Hold it against the bar with your thumbs. It's comfortable. I'm using it every day during the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Slightly off topic but does anyone know if Lidl's Parkside Strimmers are any good? They are €100 and I would only be using it a handful of times a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 thebandit2020

Help

HRX 537 VYE
    Or
    HRX 537 HYE

Thanks

The HYE outsells the VYE by 3 to 1, but anyone who has bought the VYE has been very impressed by it. i certainly would be happy to recommend it

• Advertisement

Smart robot lawnmower, German AlKo brand, quarter acre (500m2) capacity, £699
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/AL-KO-Robol.../dp/B078ZNFQXF
    These are Smart mowers, you can control them with IFTTT etc. See here.
    https://ifttt.com/alko_smart_garden

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

Was wondering if this lawnmower trailer is worth a go
    https://www.adverts.ie/other/lawnmower-trailer/19811295

• Registered Users Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭blackbox

Emmersonn wrote: »
    Was wondering if this lawnmower trailer is worth a go
    https://www.adverts.ie/other/lawnmower-trailer/19811295

I have one like that which came free with my ride-on.
    It's cheap and cheerful- not very rugged. Paint not great. Best stored indoors.
    Nevertheless I still have it more than 10 years later!

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭thisyear

Hi All,

seriously considering a secondhand kubota 2100 for the lawns. Have about 2acres to cut with a long driveway. Time is always against me so its not unusual to be cutting wet grass. was thinking of the kubota for the bag size and wet grass?

Am I mad?

thisyear wrote: »
    Hi All,

seriously considering a secondhand kubota 2100 for the lawns. Have about 2acres to cut with a long driveway. Time is always against me so its not unusual to be cutting wet grass. was thinking of the kubota for the bag size and wet grass?

Am I mad?

How much is it?

thisyear wrote: »
    Hi All,

Am I mad?

Have you considered a robot?

That Kubota is a lovely machine though

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭thebackbar

I have recently purchased a second hand Castelgarden self propelled lawnmower, has anyone an idea where i would find the serial code for the machine ?

thebackbar wrote: »
    I have recently purchased a second hand Castelgarden self propelled lawnmower, has anyone an idea where i would find the serial code for the machine ?
    Under the seat if a tractor mower, for a walk behind, usually a label on the rear of the deck facing up, or possibly at the back under the grass bag. Could be missing from a 2nd hand mower, easily peeled off. Label should have a model no, serial no, sound level, manufacturer etc. The engine will have its own label. Usually the model no. Is also printed large on the side of the deck or on the engine cowling, again, easily defaced or unpeeled if a sticker.

Incidentally, looks like the agrieuro site is a first casualty of Brexit, at least from a UK perspective. All Castelgarden products and GGP equivalents (Stiga, Alpina, etc) have vanished off the English language, .co.uk version of the site. They're still there on the .de, .es, .fr and .it versions. Mowers that are still on both versions such as MTD have a huge variation in price also. This MTD LN200 105cm cut Hydostatic is €2,737 on the German site,
    https://www.agrieuro.de/rasentraktor-mtd-optima-ln-200-hydrostatgetriebe-fangkorb-p-8689.html
    but is €3,221 on the UK site (which always displayed in euro)
    https://www.agrieuro.co.uk/mtd-optima-ln-200-lawn-tractor-hydrostatic-transmission-grass-collector-p-8689.html
    When you select delivery to Ireland price shoots up to just over uk price. Its odd, you can still select all GGP mowers on EU sites, with delivery to Ireland or UK also. Hard to know what's going on.

• Advertisement

deezell wrote: »
    Incidentally, looks like the agrieuro site is a first casualty of Brexit, at least from a UK perspective. All Castelgarden products and GGP equivalents (Stiga, Alpina, etc) have vanished off the English language, .co.uk version of the site. They're still there on the .de, .es, .fr and .it versions. Mowers that are still on both versions such as MTD have a huge variation in price also. This MTD LN200 105cm cut Hydostatic is €2,737 on the German site,
    https://www.agrieuro.de/rasentraktor-mtd-optima-ln-200-hydrostatgetriebe-fangkorb-p-8689.html
    but is €3,221 on the UK site (which always displayed in euro)
    https://www.agrieuro.co.uk/mtd-optima-ln-200-lawn-tractor-hydrostatic-transmission-grass-collector-p-8689.html
    When you select delivery to Ireland price shoots up to just over uk price. Its odd, you can still select all GGP mowers on EU sites, with delivery to Ireland or UK also. Hard to know what's going on.

That could possibly be a licensing issue. I know that GGP aren’t keen on Irish/UK companies shipping to Europe

Advertisement