Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Big Lawnmower Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Douge

Hi Anyone with any knowledge of MTD ride on mowers ,how reliable ,parts availability etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,589 ✭✭✭deezell

Thanks Deezell, much appreciate reply. Have a petrol mower, but tbh, it takes at least three hours to get it all cut, once a week, which is fine, but that's only cutting the grass. I need something that will take the heavy work out of this job at least. Coming into the autumn, there will be the leaf fall again, and with quite a number of trees, I was hoping to get a mulcher attachment with a ride on, to cut down on the amount of cuttings I have to compost. The grass in the most open area, still has six ornamental trees, hedging around it, and a biggish flower bed. The other main grass area, has about ten trees, and hedging around the house and roadside area. Absolutely beautiful garden, but if I can make one task easier, I'll take it!!
    3 hours, that would give you a pith all right. Trying to mow leaf fall covered grass with a collector is another one. Forest, beds, shrubs, pond, verges, specimen trees, your acre sounds like a miniature of my 3. If you forego bagging altogether, I'd recommend this mulcher, front deck, you'll cut dead tight to trees and edges, no wheel compression of the grass prior to cutting, no need for composting. You'll mow more frequently perhaps, but not for 3 hours at a time.
    https://www.agrieuro.co.uk/jonsered-fr2312ma-front-cut-ride-on-mower-with-hydrostatic-transmission-front-mower-p-15899.html

Douge wrote: »
    Hi Anyone with any knowledge of MTD ride on mowers ,how reliable ,parts availability etc
    Only that they make a lot of the big box US store mowers, Sears, Home Depot, also Yardman, Cub Cadet, and of course Murray (Murray Tractor Division is, some say MTD, but it actually stands for Modern Tool and Die company). They also make John Deeres cheapo mowers (is there such a thing ?) They make their European range in Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Douge

Thanks deezell I’ll keep researching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Here's another one to think about https://www.snapper.com/eu/en_gb/product-catalog/lawn-tractors/rer200-classic-rider.html, Snapper RER2000 Classic Rider. Its was a bit of a unique design years back and while Briggs and Stratton messed some of it up when they took the company over the main deck is and hi lift vac is essentially the same. Its only a 33 inch cut but can get into reasonably tight spaces. The main feature if you get the bagging kit is that it happily vacuums up leaves and I used to use it to vacuum up hedge trimmings.

The big selling point for me is the big deep deck with a single blade. With the hi lift kit (just a bolt on to the blade) it creates a massive amount of suck and air draft for picking up grass and leaves. I used to use it to pick up leaves from London Plane trees (they are huge and leathery). The only problem is the grass box will need a lot of emptying if you are picking up leaves.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,553 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Folks, I'm after a mower for my small garden. Been looking at the flymo easi glide 300, but I've seen a few reviews on amazon that worry me a bit.

The lawn itself is pretty small, I would say 10m x 10m.

I think petrol is overkill for the size of the lawn, so was looking at electric. I've never used an electric lawnmower before, so not really sure what to look for! Also not sure whether or not the hover ones are any use.

Any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,799 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Do what I did. Buy a robot mower and keep a powered push mower for anything else.

Don't be wasting hours of your time driving a mower around let a robot do it for you.

Reasonable money I got a McCullough Rob1000 for 550 euro in the sales last year.

It does 80% of the mowing for me. By itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

my ride on seems to be coughing up a lot of blue smoke lately??....otherwise its running ok

fryup wrote: »
    my ride on seems to be coughing up a lot of blue smoke lately??....otherwise its running ok
    Sounds like oil getting past the valves or piston. Could also be petrol contaminated by oil or kerosene if a container was used that had some in the bottom, that would be wishful thinking though. Add some oil additive, piston rings might be sticking, run then switch off. Take out plugs and pour some solvent into the cylinders. Turn engine by hand. Next day, turn over engine. Replace plugs, drain and replace oil. Horizontal cylinders in ride ons are not ideal for this, compared to a car where they are vertical and You can cover the top of the piston.
    You can also get Stop Smoke oil additives which alter the oil viscosity and coat the rings, that might reduce the smoke short term, but if the engine is worn, you'll just have to get used to it. All these additives are in your local motor factor, talk to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭kaiserrussel

Hi all

Mower arrived today so with fading light I’ll see what’s involved in getting this this together.
    Not sure how much assembly is involved.

Hopefully not too much

Hi All

So since my last post I’ve been able to use it twice at the times I’ve chosen due to weather. Very happy so far. A lot of power and a good bagger.

I have one question. Though seems that the full box alert comes on when I engage blades with an empty box. Is that an indication of something else wrong?

All in all very happy with this

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Hi All

So since my last post I’ve been able to use it twelve at times I’ve chosen due to weather. Very happy so far. A lot of power and a good bagger.

I have one question. Though seems that the full box alert comes on when I engage blades with an empty box. Is that an indication of something else wrong?

All in all very happy with this

It sounds like the indicator is a little to sensitive. Its possible with an empty bag you get the maximum air blast into the bag and it that which is causing the alarm to go off. If you know its going to happen every time then I think I'd leave it.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭kaiserrussel

my3cents wrote: »

It sounds like the indicator is a little to sensitive. Its possible with an empty bag you get the maximum air blast into the bag and it that which is causing the alarm to go off. If you know its going to happen every time then I think I'd leave it.

Ok got it so maybe I can try it and cut a bit to see if it will throw the indicator off.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Needles73

deezell wrote: »
    Sounds like oil getting past the valves or piston. Could also be petrol contaminated by oil or kerosene if a container was used that had some in the bottom, that would be wishful thinking though. Add some oil additive, piston rings might be sticking, run then switch off. Take out plugs and pour some solvent into the cylinders. Turn engine by hand. Next day, turn over engine. Replace plugs, drain and replace oil. Horizontal cylinders in ride ons are not ideal for this, compared to a car where they are vertical and You can cover the top of the piston.
    You can also get Stop Smoke oil additives which alter the oil viscosity and coat the rings, that might reduce the smoke short term, but if the engine is worn, you'll just have to get used to it. All these additives are in your local motor factor, talk to them.

It could be the head gasket. That would be likely if it has suddenly started to smoke.

Needles73 wrote: »
    It could be the head gasket. That would be likely if it has suddenly started to smoke.

True if the smoke is coming out the side of the head, but If it's blue smoke from the exhaust It would be oil. A typical mower air cooled side valve engine has no oil channels in the head, a blown gasket can't leak oil into the combustion chamber or exhaust ports, so it would have to be valve seals or piston seal. If it's an Overhead valve engine there would be lubrication channels to the valve shafts in the head, with the possibility of oil to the head if the gasket is blown.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

Anyone have good tips for getting stubborn dried on grass off the underside of deck ? Is there a product or home remedy that could be sprayed on for example to loosen it up?

Want to have it completely cleaned and put anti corrosion paint .

Thanks

Daz_ wrote: »
    Anyone have good tips for getting stubborn dried on grass off the underside of deck ? Is there a product or home remedy that could be sprayed on for example to loosen it up?

Thanks
    Scraper, wire brush, wire brush attachment on an angle grinder if you have flaking paint or corrosion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

Thanks

Paint scraper, wire brush and elbow grease

I used standard all in one rust primer paint this year. It’s Ok but not the smoothest finish. I wonder would an epoxy paint or an epoxy lacquer be worth it to stop grass sticking to deck

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

deezell wrote: »
    Scraper, wire brush, wire brush attachment on an angle grinder if you have flaking paint or corrosion.

Yes I do have flaking paint when I pulled off some stuck on lumps

• Registered Users Posts: 4,195 ✭✭✭blackbox

Thanks

I'd pull off whats loose and thoroughly soak whats left in soapy water. Leave overnight and it should wash off handy enough.

49801 wrote: »
    Paint scraper, wire brush and elbow grease

I used standard all in one rust primer paint this year. It’s Ok but not the smoothest finish. I wonder would an epoxy paint or an epoxy lacquer be worth it to stop grass sticking to deck
    It'll stick no matter what, once it's damp and mulchy. I wouldn't use a paint that dries to a brittle hard finish. The rust coat paints tend to dry to semi solid type of finish, less likely to come away from the metal from impacts with gravel, stones etc, or from the extreme vibration.

• Advertisement

when you check the oil level in a mower are you suppose to dip & twist down or just dip?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

when you check the oil level in a mower are you suppose to dip & twist down or just dip?

Good question, ive always twist down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,195 ✭✭✭blackbox

It's usually written on the dipstick. Briggs & Stratton twist down. I've a Husqvarna with a Kawasaki engine that says don't twist.

blackbox wrote: »
    It's usually written on the dipstick. Briggs & Stratton twist down. I've a Husqvarna with a Kawasaki engine that says don't twist.

well mine is a B&S and it doesn't say, so i don't if i'm over or under filling :confused:

well mine is a B&S and it doesn't say, so i don't if i'm over or under filling :confused:

Twist or stick, once you're under the Max marker you can't go wrong.

^^^^^^^^^

yes i know but there's a very small gap between min & max

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭dave 27

what would people recommend for a garden approx 100m long by about 20m wide? I dont want to use a ride on due to the price but is there a normal petrol one that maybe has a big carrier that wouldnt break the bank that may be as suitable?

Ps moving in to the house in a few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭opinionated3

dave 27 wrote: »
    what would people recommend for a garden approx 100m long by about 20m wide? I dont want to use a ride on due to the price but is there a normal petrol one that maybe has a big carrier that wouldnt break the bank that may be as suitable?

Ps moving in to the house in a few weeks

Toro timemaster. Make sure it's the latest model with the newer engine block. Should be around 1450 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Toro timemaster. Make sure it's the latest model with the newer engine block. Should be around 1450 euro

Much better to get a Honda 21"

Time master is a waste of time if collecting grass.

• Advertisement

Good choice for a full half acre of grass. If a single blade mower is preferred for robust simplicity of operation, the largest Active (formerly Harry) brand commercial grade 5800 or 5850 (variable speed) represent good value for 57cm cut, aluminium deck, powerful b&s 675 engine, at €850 or €895. It'll take a bit longer to cut than the Timemaster, faster than the Honda, but several €100 less than both.

http://www.hourigans.ie/lawnmowers.htm

Advertisement