Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Big Lawnmower Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,589 ✭✭✭deezell

Is that an electric clutch or a lever manual one? In either case it's most likely ageing , damaged or stretched belts, they have just enough grip when cold, but fade as they get hot, slip, and are useless until they cool. It's unlikely to be the electrically operated magnetic clutch. These use steel on steel plates, which grip hard when the electromagnet is energised. See a few posts about just this from coxy123. I've seen drive belts down to the backing fabric in places but it would still turn the blades, but once hot it would slip when the most worn part went around the pulley.

Btw, where are the search options and the advancd edit options gone on this mobile version of boards which suddenly took over from the full featured one I used on my phone. I can't add images, no advanced search, and hitting the legacy site link, it stays in this basic version.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Cushtie

Hi Lads.

Thanks for the replies. It an electromagnetic clutch. I actually changed the belt there in the spring. It started doing it back end of last season so I changed both belts.

When I pull the button to engage blades I can see a slight movement on the clutch but it doesn't bite if ye know what I mean. I must check what it does when it does engage actually.

You'll need s multimeter to check if full 12v is getting to the clutch terminal, and if so then remove thr electrical connector and check the electromagnet resistance, 2 to 4 ohms on the meter. Higher or nearly shorted out means its faulty. If the EM is ok see if your clutch has three adjusting nuts holding the plate on against three springs under the nuts and plate. Try tightening these by a quarter turn each at a time and test the clutch. If the clutch plates are very worn or damaged or if the EM is shot you will need a new clutch.

Can someone recommend a lawnmower for me please? It's for a decently sized local grotto. At the moment I rent out a petrol lawnmower but it's a pain returning it etc and I don't think it's the best mower in the world. We have no way of disposing the cut grass so I usually mow it without the collector. Budget would be around €300. Not sure what other details to give as I've never purchased one before. Thanks for any advice.

• Advertisement

Can someone recommend a lawnmower for me please? It's for a decently sized local grotto. At the moment I rent out a petrol lawnmower but it's a pain returning it etc and I don't think it's the best mower in the world. We have no way of disposing the cut grass so I usually mow it without the collector. Budget would be around €300. Not sure what other details to give as I've never purchased one before. Thanks for any advice.
    If you're in the Naas to Dublin Area, Brodericks sell the quality Cobra brand, full backup on service and spares.
    This 18" push collector €299, self propelled €349
    http://www.lawnmowerworld.ie/product/cobra-m46b-18-petrol-lawnmower/
    Where are you located

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

Hi - I have a problem with my Castelgarden twin-cut ride on mower, the beeping sound that usually indicated bag full is on constantly once I engage the blades.
    I checked the 'finger' below the chute and it's moving fine. This actually happened last year and then stopped after a few cuts.

Any ideas?

Dr. Nick wrote: »
    Hi - I have a problem with my Castelgarden twin-cut ride on mower, the beeping sound that usually indicated bag full is on constantly once I engage the blades.
    I checked the 'finger' below the chute and it's moving fine. This actually happened last year and then stopped after a few cuts.

Any ideas?
    Finger is just connected to a microswitch. The build-up of grass closes the switch by downward pressure. Check if the switch is releasing when the finger is up. Check for debris and dried grass particles that may be preventing the microswitch from opening.
    I'm not sure that if on the Castelgarden the switch terminals are closed for full or open circuit for full, the latter would mean a loose or poor connection could trigger the alarm, so it's likely to be the former. A meter check on the terminals would help, they may be stuck due to the ingress of moisture and seepage from cuttings into the switch mechanism. A blast if wd40 via the straw might do it.

deezell wrote: »
    If you're in the Naas to Dublin Area, Brodericks sell the quality Cobra brand, full backup on service and spares.
    Where are you located

Thanks for the reply. I'm in Limerick. So Cobra are a good brand then?

Yes, well made. Stihl also a top brand, plenty of support and parts. This 18" for €299, bag or rear discharge.
    https://mower.ie/product/stihl-rm-248-18-push-lawnmower
    ISE Forest and Garden are in Kilkenny, but a Stihl dealer nearer you might match this price

• Advertisement

Where are you located

Thanks for the reply. I'm in Limerick. So Cobra are a good brand then?
    Here's the Stihl mower I linked in my last reply, in its previous Green colours when it was known as Viking. A tenner less at €289, and close to you.

http://www.mower-power.com/shannonside/product.asp?numRecordPosition=8&P_ID=2037&strPageHistory=&strKeywords=&SearchFor=&PT_ID=484

Mower-Power
    Unit 10, Castlemungret Industrial Estate
    Mungret
    Limerick
    T: +353-(0)61-30.26.96

Thought I'd do a quick review of this mower.

I bought it in early 2018. It's a mulching only mower. I've had it over two seasons and the end result if I'm honest is disappointing. It really doesn't suit my needs.

What I don't like;

1. You CANT let the grass grow too long or it just won't mulch. Not having a collection bag is a negative in this case.

2. I've noticed that the mower doesn't cut too well. It sort of pushes the grass down. If you were to use your hand and rub the grass against the way it's been cut the grass is still quite long. The grass also grows into the lawn. What I mean is that if you take a tuft of grass and pull it you will have grass strands which are quite long and interwoven into the lawn.

3. It's difficult to maneuver around flowerbeds or tight areas. Once the self propelled system is started you can't turn it off without restarting the mower.

4. The edges around flowerbeds, footpaths and kerbing doesn't get cut properly and I need to use a shears to cut it.

5. Mulching isn't for someone with dogs!!! They can get the loose clippings onto their feet and drag it into the house.

What I like about it....
    1. It starts first time...always with little effort.

2. Not collecting grass does save time.

That's about it if I'm honest.

Anyway, I'm either going to stick it on Done deal or Adverts or trade it against a different machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

Hi, just wondering generally how tight is the belt meant to be? Swapped out my deck yesterday.
    Video here
    Too loose or ok? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭kaiserrussel

Stiga Estate 5092 H is the pick of the Agrieuro €2-2,5K price range. Made in EU, american made B&S avs engine, hydro, electric blade, a hefty 10% off brings it right under your budget.. Slightly narrower cut than some in this price point at 93cm, but given the relatively small cutting area this might be an advantage if you have tight spaces in parts. AVS engines have less vibration than normal single cylinder engines. As you only have 0.3acre to cut, ( make sure your reading from the app was in Acres, not Hectares), and some of this is not suitable for a ride on, maybe you would be better off with a large 30"/77cm walk behind mower like this Toro Timemaster, €1400.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/gardenequipment-for-sale/toro-timemaster-30-quot-mower-new-model/12288417

For about the same money you could have this used Honda v twin engined ride on, from the same dealer.

HI Deezal

had some car issues so never purchased at that time you gave this advise

I see that company in Kilkenny you posted are selling htis

https://www.donedeal.ie/gardenequipment-for-sale/viking-stihl-16hp-38-quot-ride-on-mower/22409738

would this be a good machine considering the year? I wonder would there be movement on the price

I love that stiga you reference above - loaded with accessories. My head space was in the castelgarden xdc 150, when I checked agri euro they were charging for the mulch kit so price difference between there and a local guy 2400 meant it was nearly worth going to him

seems like the xdc150s are running out of current stock
    My other interest was this. seems like it can be got for 2600 cash

https://www.donedeal.ie/gardenequipment-for-sale/new-castlegarden-lawnmower-xdc-160-hd/21628170

Any thoughts? Am I better to wait at this stage for off season?

Budget ideally is in the 2K-2.5K

Stiga Estate 5092 H is the pick of the Agrieuro €2-2,5K price range. Made in EU, american made B&S avs engine, hydro, electric blade, a hefty 10% off brings it right under your budget.. Slightly narrower cut than some in this price point at 93cm, but given the relatively small cutting area this might be an advantage if you have tight spaces in parts. AVS engines have less vibration than normal single cylinder engines. As you only have 0.3acre to cut, ( make sure your reading from the app was in Acres, not Hectares), and some of this is not suitable for a ride on, maybe you would be better off with a large 30"/77cm walk behind mower like this Toro Timemaster, €1400.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/gardenequipment-for-sale/toro-timemaster-30-quot-mower-new-model/12288417

For about the same money you could have this used Honda v twin engined ride on, from the same dealer.

HI Deezal

had some car issues so never purchased at that time you gave this advise

I see that company in Kilkenny you posted are selling htis

https://www.donedeal.ie/gardenequipment-for-sale/viking-stihl-16hp-38-quot-ride-on-mower/22409738

would this be a good machine considering the year? I wonder would there be movement on the price

I love that stiga you reference above - loaded with accessories. My head space was in the castelgarden xdc 150, when I checked agri euro they were charging for the mulch kit so price difference between there and a local guy 2400 meant it was nearly worth going to him

seems like the xdc150s are running out of current stock
    My other interest was this. seems like it can be got for 2600 cash

https://www.donedeal.ie/gardenequipment-for-sale/new-castlegarden-lawnmower-xdc-160-hd/21628170

Any thoughts? Am I better to wait at this stage for off season?

Budget ideally is in the 2K-2.5K
    If the Viking was 3500 new in 2015, depreciate 20% for year 1, then 10%on the balance year in year. That would be about 2000 after 4 seasons, assuming it hasn't worked this year. The Stiga looks good.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭kaiserrussel

If the Viking was 3500 new in 2015, depreciate 20% for year 1, then 10%on the balance year in year. That would be about 2000 after 4 seasons, assuming it hasn't worked this year. The Stiga looks good.

any concerns with the stiga around year of manufacture? I wonder could that be an older model and has been in storage lets say?

what about the xdc 10 - has the Kawasaki engine

any concerns with the stiga around year of manufacture? I wonder could that be an older model and has been in storage lets say?

what about the xdc 10 - has the Kawasaki engine
    It's still a current model with the Irish distributors, Doyle's.
    https://www.doyles.ie/products/cg-xdc160hd-98cm-hyd-kawasaki-v-twin-2t2610673-c19.html

I'm sure the engine is up to the task, and its a vee twin, keep it serviced and oil level checked. You'll always pay more for a Briggs "n Stratton. I think that Viking may have been old stock back in 2015, the all white front changed to a newer green look about then. Viking are not Stihl, it's the other way around, Stihl bought Viking a year or so ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Needles73

That viking would have been less than 3500 I’d imagine. I got the bigger and newer model mt5112z for 3600 in 2015. Stihl have owned viking for many years and only recently dropped the Viking branding.

It's current list price in Stihl livery is €3800, so I'd say it listed at near enough 3500 -3600 4 years ago. If anything it might have been more, as the new prices seen to have fallen somewhat. The flagship 6127.zl is a good bit less than it was in 2017.

It's current list price in Stihl livery is €3800, so I'd say it listed at near enough 3500 -3600 4 years ago. If anything it might have been more, as the new prices seen to have fallen somewhat. The flagship 6127.zl is a good bit less than it was in 2017.

I really think no one paid €3500 for that viking in 2015. Current list price is 3700 and that’s an inflated Stihl recommended price point. I’ve bought two new Vikings in the past both from a local dealer. The last was a 5112z in 2015 and I paid 3600. The list prices I see today online are not what anyone should be paying. In addition I think ride ons just are shifting. If someone was looking for good value I’d buy new at end of summer. I do like the Viking/Stihl ride ons.

• Advertisement

Anyway, I would'nt be inclined to pay €2000 for that used Viking, if it was the facelift model 5097.z with the synchro deck and V twin engine maybe, but not that earlier basic non synchro deck. It most likely was a cheaper new price back in 2015 than the current version.

Anyway, I would'nt be inclined to pay €2000 for that used Viking, if it was the facelift model 5097.z with the synchro deck and V twin engine maybe, but not that earlier basic non synchro deck. It most likely was a cheaper new price back in 2015 than the current version.

Agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭hbab2009

Hi, I have a decent mower, the only problem is it doesn't mulch. Is it possible to change this mower into a mulching mower by purchasing a mulching kit? Mulching blade and mulch plug?

If it is where would I buy the mulching kit?

Attached are pictures of my mower.

Regards,

hbab2009

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

hbab2009 wrote: »
    Hi, I have a decent mower, the only problem is it doesn't mulch. Is it possible to change this mower into a mulching mower by purchasing a mulching kit? Mulching blade and mulch plug?

Regards,

hbab2009

What make and model is the mower?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,195 ✭✭✭blackbox

TheTorment wrote: »
    Thought I'd do a quick review of this mower.

I bought it in early 2018. It's a mulching only mower. I've had it over two seasons and the end result if I'm honest is disappointing. It really doesn't suit my needs.

What I don't like;

1. You CANT let the grass grow too long or it just won't mulch. Not having a collection bag is a negative in this case.

2. I've noticed that the mower doesn't cut too well. It sort of pushes the grass down. If you were to use your hand and rub the grass against the way it's been cut the grass is still quite long. The grass also grows into the lawn. What I mean is that if you take a tuft of grass and pull it you will have grass strands which are quite long and interwoven into the lawn.

3. It's difficult to maneuver around flowerbeds or tight areas. Once the self propelled system is started you can't turn it off without restarting the mower.

4. The edges around flowerbeds, footpaths and kerbing doesn't get cut properly and I need to use a shears to cut it.

5. Mulching isn't for someone with dogs!!! They can get the loose clippings onto their feet and drag it into the house.

What I like about it....
    1. It starts first time...always with little effort.

2. Not collecting grass does save time.

That's about it if I'm honest.

What mower is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭hbab2009

monkeynuz wrote: »
    What make and model is the mower?

The make and model aren't on it anymore but from googling it appears to be a Raser and it has a briggs and stratton Quantum XTE 60 engine. Not sure if this will help you.

hbab2009 wrote: »

Regards,

hbab2009

Measure the blade length for cutting tip to cutting tip, diagonally. Measure the distance between the small holes either side of the shaft bolt holes (remove blade). Measure the diameters of these holes and shaft bolt hole and report here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

TheTorment wrote: »

Local council use them. Total rubbish for the work they do. Not that there is an ideal machine for cutting grass down to half an inch after leaving it to grow for weeks on end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭peadar76

I have a budget of approx 700 euro for a new petrol lawn mower

For me the most important thing is that it is good at bagging the grass, even if a bit damp.
    Ideally would like a blade clutch.

I was considering extending my budget to go for the Honda HRG536VYE, but read somewhere (possibly here) that the Hondas are overpriced and there is better value to be had in other models.

Recommendations would be much appreciated

Advertisement