Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Big Lawnmower Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭BobBobBobBob

GreeBo wrote: »
    You'll have to give more info than "decent size" as that means different things to different people...

Probably 1/4 of an acre or more

• Registered Users Posts: 12,268 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,571 ✭✭✭deezell

Assuming your'e not suggesting this mower for our previous poster, as he's looking for a cordless, and for a largish area, 1/4 acre or.1000m2, which sounds like the garden of a typical 1/2 acre rural house. You might as well use a scissors as that flymo on that garden, plus dragging lots of extension lead behind you.
    You'd want a decent cordless also to cover that area without multiple recharges, so maybe budget a little higher than €400.

@Deezell

I've a typical 1/2 acre rural lawn.
    Will probably get a new mower at the end of this season .
    Any advice on the small ride ons? Current mower is a decent self drive harry but I want electric start minium.
    Storage is problem,it has cars to contend with......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

@Deezell

Any advice on the small ride ons? Current mower is a decent self drive harry but I want electric start minium.

Just on storage take a look at Snapper Lawn Riders, they can be up ended and stored upright. With cars nearby I'd want to put a safety chain around the top to make sure it can't be knocked over.

original.png

I used one for quite a few years they are very solidly made and with the hivac blade will vacuum up every last blade of grass along with leaves and even hedge clippings.

Edit> What used to be called something like the Hi-Vac blade seems now to be called the air lift kit which you need for the grass box option (may come with it).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭hero25

@Deezell

have you considered a robot mower? theyve become very popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

https://www.lidl.ie/en/p/garden-ready/electric-lawnmower/p39349

Anyone any experience of the electric lawnmowers in lidl?

hero25 wrote: »
    have you considered a robot mower? theyve become very popular.

I have yes,
    I might try one for my front lawn but the back is too complex I think.

The snapper certainly look like the job.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭cal naughton

glic83 wrote: »

I had a look at this one myself. Most electric lawnmowers in this price range have a 1300w motor as opposed to the 1800w in the Lidl one so surely it's better

I have yes,
    I might try one for my front lawn but the back is too complex I think.

The snapper certainly look like the job.:cool:

Do take a good hard look at the snapper. I love them but they really aren't everyone's favourite. The gear system gets some poor reviews sometimes but I've never had any problems with it. Essentially you have a rubber wheel that can be moved across a large disk. Near the center its low slow gear and at the outside its the high fast gear very simple but manual unlike hydrostatic drive systems that many mowers have.

iirc (I have family that used to work in a dealership and as a rep for Snapper) there is a very good mark up on the accessories so the dealers can use cut price extras to seal a deal. You may not get the extras (grass box) for nothing but don't pay full price for them.

If you can get a second hand one (they don't make them anymore afaik) the thacherizer is a very good accessory. It combs the grass as you mow lifting out moss at a rate that the grass bag can remove if used often. Check the new mowers have the fittings at the front to take them and you also need the hook that holds the thacherizer off the grass when not in use (it all mounts and demounts in seconds). Best of all used to be the Bag N Wagon a small towed trailer that gave the Snapper lawn riders a massive grass box sadly again only available second hand.

This was what the setup I used to use looked like

5019967.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭kaiserrussel

deezell wrote: »

Check is the bag seated properly, and check the sensor button for this. Same for the seat sensor

Thanks Deezell - Used it last night for the first time - Alarm still sounds when I engage blades, Ill try your suggestions ma not very technical regarding sensors though
    I was also worried that the oil light was coming on as well - Found out that when the box is open or off the oil light comes on. Does seem strange that the oil light would be hooked into that sensor

On a separate note does any use those string trimmer mowers? was looking at this on agrieuro

https://www.agrieuro.com/decespugliatore-ruote-spinta-geotech-dg-58-motore-benzina-loncin-196-cc-falciatutto-p-13120.html

Video on you tube
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JihhziQxKeI

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

Guys what would be recommended oil type to top up oil for a twin engine ride on mower ? ( oleo MAC )

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,268 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

I had a look at this one myself. Most electric lawnmowers in this price range have a 1300w motor as opposed to the 1800w in the Lidl one so surely it's better

IMO the consideration is not just watts but watts as a function of cutting width.
    So 1800/44= 41
    1400/32 = 44 for the B&D one on woodies

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Daz_ wrote: »
    Guys what would be recommended oil type to top up oil for a twin engine ride on mower ? ( oleo MAC )

Thanks

Most mowers take straight SAE 30 weight oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭mossie

Looking for a recommendation for a ride-on. I have quite a large lawn so probably need 36" minimum as that's what I have at the moment. Currently have a 8/9 year old Husqvarna which has given nothing but trouble since I bought it. I don't know if it's worth anything as a trade in but I'm pretty much at the end of my tether with it. Budget approx €2500, maybe a bit more if I can trade my old one.

@Deezell

When mowing a medium sized garden with a small ride on, especially a garden thats "complex", with beds, narrow stretches, sharp turns etc. it may not be much faster than using a big sized powered walk behind mower, especially if you have to use a walk behind to finish the bits the ride on misses. That snapper might look to solve your space problem, but at a price.
    Consider the largest Castelgarden XC55 BVE , electric start, 53cm cut, variable speed, it would eat up a 1000m2 of lawn. https://www.doyles.ie/products/castelgarden-xs55bvwe4-775-is-series-galvanised-4in1.html
    If you want a small ride on sized cut in a walk behind, the Toro Timemaster is a 75cm/30" cut twin blade walk behind, at less than half that ride on price. This model has electric start. https://www.mowersupermarket.co.uk/toro-timemaster-20978-76cm-electric-start-lawnmower.
    There are some here who don't like the Timemaster, mostly due to the bag size, (with 30 inch cut the bag fill quickly alright), but thats a bit like complaining that your bus stops more frequently because it's tearing along between stops.
    If you're not into bagging. This 33" cub cadet walk behind might be a better investment than a small ride on. http://www.jdslawnmowers.ie/lawnmowers/Electric-Key-Start-Lawnmowers/WIDE-CUT-E

Thanks Deezell - Used it last night for the first time - Alarm still sounds when I engage blades, Ill try your suggestions ma not very technical regarding sensors though
    I was also worried that the oil light was coming on as well - Found out that when the box is open or off the oil light comes on. Does seem strange that the oil light would be hooked into that sensor....
    Ok, that sounds exactly like a raised earth/common wire somewhere. This is where a number of circuit devices have a common grounding terminal, but that ground is poor or disconnected. This results in some loads finding earth via other loads which are earthed and share the same common live. I'm sure you've driven behind a car when the left turn indicator flashes the right brake light also, or maybe dims the tail lights in sympathy. This was fairly common back in the day on older cars, so I'll bet theres some grouped earth returns not connected properly. It may be the earth to the control board itself. Tricky to trace, you just need to inspect all push on connections and terminations to ground or chassis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

mossie wrote: »
    Looking for a recommendation for a ride-on. I have quite a large lawn so probably need 36" minimum as that's what I have at the moment. Currently have a 8/9 year old Husqvarna which has given nothing but trouble since I bought it. I don't know if it's worth anything as a trade in but I'm pretty much at the end of my tether with it. Budget approx €2500, maybe a bit more if I can trade my old one.

I would flog you mine second hand :-)

I bought mine because I had to redo the lawn, have it all done now and want to buy a robot one.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭mossie

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I would flog you mine second hand :-)

I bought mine because I had to redo the lawn, have it all done now and want to buy a robot one.....

I'd love to go for a robot but I'd have to redo lawn first. Anyway I don't mind actually cutting it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,691 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Sold out only battery one available looking for electrical one

Can anyone recommend something similar as in new house and garden needs cutting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

Sold out only battery one available looking for electrical one

Can anyone recommend something similar as in new house and garden needs cutting

Where are you based ? I managed to get one of the electric ones in the Ennis road store in Limerick, there was a few left, only used it once but so far so good

• Registered Users Posts: 3,691 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Where are you based ? I managed to get one of the electric ones in the Ennis road store in Limerick, there was a few left, only used it once but so far so good

Tried coolock and none there only battery so looking for similar

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭bazbrady

mossie wrote: »
    I'd love to go for a robot but I'd have to redo lawn first. Anyway I don't mind actually cutting it myself.

Hi Mossie,If your not going the robot mower route id go with Honda 2417,have mine years no real issues just wear and tear,changed deck and belts on mine this year,engine is bullet proof v twin ,the single cylinder ride ons are too rough ,you will need a 17hp or more.Alot of the models the chassis are the same from GRP in Italy its the engine thats the difference ,If you could stretch for a second hand Kubota 1600 ,diesel so easy on fuel.Heard the Solo ride ons are getting good reviews German Swiss machines

bazbrady wrote: »
    Hi Mossie,If your not going the robot mower route id go with Honda 2417,have mine years no real issues just wear and tear,changed deck and belts on mine this year,engine is bullet proof v twin ,the single cylinder ride ons are too rough ,you will need a 17hp or more.Alot of the models the chassis are the same from GRP in Italy its the engine thats the difference ,If you could stretch for a second hand Kubota 1600 ,diesel so easy on fuel.Heard the Solo ride ons are getting good reviews German Swiss machines

If you can get a Honda 2417 for Mossie's budget of €2500 where do I sign up!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭obi604

What ye make of these wireless electric lawnmowers?

Cordless Lawnmower https://www.lidl.ie/p/p39356?productId=39356&countryCode=IE

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭shanec1928

995 pounds in am rentals in Newry at the minute. They deliver for 30 pounds. That's around €1100 and sterling is still dropping.

There used to be an option to pay in sterling on Robert kee but I can't see it on my phone and it says out if stock.

The VYE is usually cheaper if you can get one. Same mower different controls. I usually get them around the 1150 mark.
    Procrastinated to long gone up almost 100 pounds in the few days. Any recommendations for any other brand? Or is the Honda the one to go for?

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭bazbrady

GinSoaked wrote: »
    If you can get a Honda 2417 for Mossie's budget of €2500 where do I sign up!

Second hand obviously ,there are ones around for that price in reasonable condition,i bought mine second hand.

bazbrady wrote: »
    Second hand obviously ,there are ones around for that price in reasonable condition,i bought mine second hand.

The 2417 is a Castelgarden XT190HD with a honda engine. See below. It will cost you €800 to €1000 more than the XT, if you can find one, now replaced with the GGP V twin equipped XT 200 HD, but the true comparison is with the PTX 200 HD, with the more powerful 22hp V twin B&S Intek 7220 engine, which will save you maybe €600-€700 on the Honda. Either engine will outlast the tractor, so the choice is yours, but I didn't wear out a B&S V twin after 20 seasons on a 3+ acre site, engine was immaculate when I sold the mower.

507560.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Can you ask on this thread what I would expect on selling a mower second hand?

• Advertisement

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Can you ask on this thread what I would expect on selling a mower second hand?

Are you selling your Viking ride on? Great mower. I remember your slipped timing belt issue.
    Expect chancers trying to give you a fraction of it's worth, so they can sell on at bigger margin. Don't overprice, but if using Adverts.ie, set a minimum bid price, to avoid timewasters. Sometimes, occasionally, an obviously low bid will flush out lurkers fearful that you're about to let it go for a song, so set your minimum to something bearable. If it's say 4 seasons old, use depreciation of 25% first year, followed by 20% for subsequent, so new value by (0.75x0.8×0.8×0.8), about 40% of new. If it's only mowed small area and was stored indoors, it will fetch more that this. These mowers worth a premium if in top order. Emphasise the twin V engine, huge 22hp job on these. Heres a dealer ad for same, looking for €2750, age not given.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/gardenequipment-for-sale/viking-mt5112z-immaculate/24397550

Advertisement