Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Big Lawnmower Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,570 ✭✭✭deezell

Btw, heres a bargain if its still available. The (Castelgarden) Stiga 5102H for £2215 in Omagh. For a 40"/102cm cut with a 21hp Twin V B&S engine, this is some deal. Its priced at £2970 on their own site, toolbox.ie, but discounted here on donedeal,
    https://www.donedeal.ie/gardenequipment-for-sale/stiga-estate-5102h-mower/23187196

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭marob1969

Was looking for a Scarifier for a few small lawns I look after. €350 - €400 budget to start off. Any recommendations. I found this for my low budget.

https://www.agrieuro.co.uk/einhell-gc-sc-2240-lawn-scarifier-118-cc-4-stroke-engine-p-8369.html

Did you ever purchase after and if yes how did you get on? I am looking for something similar in the budget range also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,691 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Looking for Lawnmower for back garden dont have measurements but at a guess if would be about 20feet wide and 30 feet long

Missed the lawnmower in Lidl but from here found the below options

https://www.agrieuro.co.uk/lawn-mowers/electric-lawn-mowers-c-2_272.html#level=1,2&price=67-173

Most within Budget. Grass is high at the moment so cut it now and then just maintain it. Also need one I can store easily enough

Dont know about this website how reputable it is ?? Also don't have Scooby Doo about Lawnmores just wanted something electric

Any suggestions as during these times I have the whole weekend to do it and we dont have a lawnmower

Cheers

Buy something wider than 39cm, but check are they delivering, as none of the Irish stores are. Maybe check adverts/done deal for a used one close to you, you could meet in supermarket car park, stand well apart, put money on the ground and swap places, like something out of Breaking Bad.

HandyHaedware.ie still shipping, the have some in stock electric, cable and cordless, which might suit. This Black and Decker would do nicely.
    https://www.handyhardware.ie/Black-Decker-EMAX38i-240-Volt-Rotary-Mower-1600w-38cm_p_68709.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

deezell wrote: »
    Are you selling your Viking ride on? Great mower. I remember your slipped timing belt issue.
    Expect chancers trying to give you a fraction of it's worth, so they can sell on at bigger margin. Don't overprice, but if using Adverts.ie, set a minimum bid price, to avoid timewasters. Sometimes, occasionally, an obviously low bid will flush out lurkers fearful that you're about to let it go for a song, so set your minimum to something bearable. If it's say 4 seasons old, use depreciation of 25% first year, followed by 20% for subsequent, so new value by (0.75x0.8×0.8×0.8), about 40% of new. If it's only mowed small area and was stored indoors, it will fetch more that this. These mowers worth a premium if in top order. Emphasise the twin V engine, huge 22hp job on these. Heres a dealer ad for same, looking for €2750, age not given.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/gardenequipment-for-sale/viking-mt5112z-immaculate/24397550

Thanks for the advice, I am thinking about selling it. It is running perfect. Yes the slipped belt was a few years back. It is running perfect and they are as solid as a rock.

Problem is trying to get a service, I dont have trailer so hard to get anyone to do. Been lucky so far but paying for them to bring, service and then bring back. I also mulch all the time, I dont collect.

I had wanted to buy a robot one but it just didnt work out, with lack of time and always mulching the robot makes more sense. Plus I can pick up and bring to the service centre.

I bought it at the very end of 2016, in September, done 3 cuts :P so about 2k which would cover the cost of the robot. Its in a shed 24 x 7 dry as a bone, serviced regular and to be honest is way too big for the area I cut.....area is 2600m2 and the house based on mapping tool is 500m2 of that area with paths/driveway etc....

deezell wrote: »
    HandyHaedware.ie still shipping, the have some in stock electric, cable and cordless, which might suit. This Black and Decker would do nicely.
    https://www.handyhardware.ie/Black-Decker-EMAX38i-240-Volt-Rotary-Mower-1600w-38cm_p_68709.html

Looking for something bit less expensive

Seems more reasonable on Agrieuro website. Can borrow one for the moment but for future use need to get one for general maintenance

marob1969 wrote: »
    Did you ever purchase after and if yes how did you get on? I am looking for something similar in the budget range also.

Never bought it. I bought this instead. https://www.entreprenadbutiken.com/husqvarna-scarifier/husqvarna-battery-powered-scarifier/husqvarna-scarifier-s138c

I got it off a local dealer. The price doesn't include a battery or charger. It suited me because the batteries fit all their tools and I'll probably purchase more.

It does a good job. The bag is useless like all scarifiers and I had to make something to hold the back flap open as it clogged easily. When it's dry it will scarify 200 sq m on one domestic battery. It will take 2 batteries and you can buy professional ones

I use it for small lawns divided into sections. Probably better off with a petrol one for a medium sized lawn. Two professional batteries will cost €350.

The only maintenance listed in the manual is to clean it which is a plus. It would need to be dry for a week to get the most time out of the battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭laois hibby

My old ride on died yesterday and i need to get a new cheap second hand one badly. Found a couple on donedeal that are ideal.
    Problem is going out to collect it with the restictions at the moment. They are both relatively local. ( within 20 kms) but with checkpoints all over i dont think the gards will see it as essential.
    Any ideas

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Quicj question guys,

Moved into a new house last year and a lawnmower or other garden items were not top of the shipping list.

However now the garden needs some attention , looking to buy a lawnmower, weedkiller, lawn feed etc and no irish business seems to be selling them for home delivery. Amazon are selling them but quoting at least a month for delivery

Are there any places around Dublin selling and delivering lawn mowers or other garden equipment?

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    Quicj question guys,

Moved into a new house last year and a lawnmower or other garden items were not top of the shipping list.

However now the garden needs some attention , looking to buy a lawnmower, weedkiller, lawn feed etc and no irish business seems to be selling them for home delivery. Amazon are selling them but quoting at least a month for delivery

Are there any places around Dublin selling and delivering lawn mowers or other garden equipment?

Thanks.

http://www.donegan.ie

These guys will sort you out, normally next day delivery but obviously at the moment it may take a bit longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭shanec1928

The garden shop for the garden bits.

Robert kee, Clarke’s of caven, hanleys garden machinery are all delivering lawnmowers According to there websites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Clarkes did deliver an electric toy to me two weeks ago, took it they closed after that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭golondrinas

Mailman wrote: »
    Cylinder mowers are expensive to maintain.
    Ride-ons are expensive to maintain and you need something to get to the spots they can't reach.

A rotary roller mower might be a nice solution.
    A 22" Hayter Harrier would give a very pleasing finish but they aren't cheap.
    You'll still get stripes and it will cut low to the ground to give a near cylinder mower finish. Versions with electric start are also available.
    Emptying the grass bag will be tiresome with any walk-behind lawnmower.

Had a hayter harrier for years, loved it , and the roller was great for balance over edges etc, prevented scalping. Loved sitting back smelling the fresh grass And admiring my straight lines. If I had a tractor I would have entered the ploughing.,,,,,,!,,,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Clarkes did deliver an electric toy to me two weeks ago, took it they closed after that
    have a lawnmower on order to be delivered this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

monkeynuz wrote: »
    http://www.donegan.ie

These guys will sort you out, normally next day delivery but obviously at the moment it may take a bit longer.

These guys are great, got my mower from them

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

Money not really an object but at the same time want to get value for money what would you guys recommend, need a walk behind mower fairly complex garden so a ride on wouldn't suit, currently 1/2 an acre but could be expanded out to close to the acre in the future parts of it are sloped and kinda rough terrain not a manicured lawn by any stretch of the imagination

• Registered Users Posts: 18,233 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

cosanostra wrote: »
    Money not really an object but at the same time want to get value for money what would you guys recommend, need a walk behind mower fairly complex garden so a ride on wouldn't suit, currently 1/2 an acre but could be expanded out to close to the acre in the future parts of it are sloped and kinda rough terrain not a manicured lawn by any stretch of the imagination

Honda hydrostatic great machine will last you thirty years but not cheap. If you have a lot of grass a trailer or a wheel barrow like below are a great job. Did not realize they had gone so expensive I bought one about 10 years ago for 150 euro

https://www.glanbiaconnect.com/shop/product/JFC-Twin-Wheel-Wheelbarrow-250L/9002694?gclid=EAIaIQobChMInNPZjPrR6AIVmLPtCh19NggTEAQYCCABEgI5f_D_BwE

Slava Ukrainii

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

Honda hydrostatic great machine will last you thirty years but not cheap. If you have a lot of grass a trailer or a wheel barrow like below are a great job. Did not realize they had gone so expensive I bought one about 10 years ago for 150 euro

https://www.glanbiaconnect.com/shop/product/JFC-Twin-Wheel-Wheelbarrow-250L/9002694?gclid=EAIaIQobChMInNPZjPrR6AIVmLPtCh19NggTEAQYCCABEgI5f_D_BwE

Personally think the tipping one is worth the extra fiver. https://www.glanbiaconnect.com/shop/product/JFC-Twin-Wheel-Tipping-Wheelbarrow/9002710

Toro Timemaster sounds like the answer. Half the price of a ride on but big 76cn cut, ideal for big half acre+
    https://mower.ie/product/toro-timemaster-30-76cm-lawnmower

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭BobBobBobBob

Hi, can someone recommend a decent battery lawnmover?

The lawn is a decent size, have front and back lawns.

Have a budget of between €300/400.

Thanks

B

Ordered Duramaxx 40V online last week, hopefully get it today or tomorrow.

Still looking for lawnmower for general use mid size home garden

Currently have borrowed one that is electrical and 1800w and doing good job

Checked with Agrieuro and they are not currently delivering

Any suggestions that are still doing delivery

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Have a medium/small sized garden
    Total area: 208.76 m² (2,247.04 ft²)
    Total distance: 68.87 m (225.95 ft)
    And no real idea what I am looking for. Had a honda IZY that rusted out from under at the end of last summer. A new deck for it (£150 + shipping) and putting it on is probably not worth the cost.
    Are McCulloch lawnmowers decent? When I search them here, it seems to mostly show issues or issues getting parts.
    I rang a few places that I could find were open, and one place has a 18 month old (used but immaculate) Gardencare LMX51SP for €300 with 1 year warranty.
    That would be above my intended budget, but would be willing to go if it seems worth it.
    Are used lawnowers worth it or do they cause issues, would there be a better model anyone could recommend?

Edit.
    Weibang entered the fray too. Another dealer recommended them. I haven't heard of any of these makes, and searching here is mixed..
    Searching the different brands or models reviews on google just brings up loads of places in ireland that sell lawnmowers, and one old article from the inependent..
    I didn't expect buying a mower to be this hard, I am only trying to avoid a bad option. Anything better than that is good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Certainly not cheap, but very good quality, sturdy construction, value for money.

AS-motor has a mower for almost every kind of application. Their bigger units are very popular with county council type outfits in Germany. Their high grass mowers come in handy when you haven't the time or weather to manicure your lawn on a cut-every-second-day basis.

Personally I've got an AS 65 2T for nearly ten years now as I have to cut 3/4 acre of meadow (never had a lawn), brambles, weeds and sloughs on a slope with rough ground (basically a neglected field). Never had anything wrong with it bar a streched pully wire.

https://southernmachinery.ie/as-motor/

Regardless of what make of mower you go for, in a complex garden with lots of nooks and crannies I find a reverse gear so much more comfortable long term..saves a lot of heaving and manhandling.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RonanC

I mistakenly tilted an electric start Castlegarden XS55 onto the wrong side when trying to change the blade - now it won't start. I have changed the spark plug and air filter to no avail - any suggestions as to what else I could try?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

RonanC wrote: »
    I mistakenly tilted an electric start Castlegarden XS55 onto the wrong side when trying to change the blade - now it won't start. I have changed the spark plug and air filter to no avail - any suggestions as to what else I could try?

Off spark plug and keep turning over...
    Squirt petrol into carb bowl past the airfilter and keep turning over.
    Repeat till it fires

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭lipso

Looking for a push Petrol lawnmower for small to medium flat garden for under €300. Anyone had experience of ALKO mowers? Can they ordered online from uk using Address pal or Parcel motel? Or another way?

lipso wrote: »
    Looking for a push Petrol lawnmower for small to medium flat garden for under €300. Anyone had experience of ALKO mowers? Can they ordered online from uk using Address pal or Parcel motel? Or another way?

You could probably order this basic cheap push mower from them via parcel Motel. https://www.al-ko.com/shop/uk/al-ko-easy-4-2-p-s-petrol-lawn-mower-1.html
    This would be a collect from PM depot sized parcel, there's nothing on their site to say it's still operating. It could be a long time getting there also.
    For £200 plus exchage rate plus delivery you'd be better off ringing around the smaller dealers to buy something local. Many are still working online or by phone, though online places are a bit overwhelmed. Coop superstore in the Limerick area are online though under pressure.
    This quality Cobra 16" push cut is online from Brodericks at €279, delivery anywhere for €20, but you might want to ring and see if there's anyone at home. Website is up but that doesn't mean anything.
    https://www.lawnmowerworld.ie/product/cobra-m40b-16-petrol-lawnmower/
    Glanbia farm shops are still open online or to collect at the yard if in stock locally. They have this cheapo model in stock online,
    https://www.glanbiaconnect.com/shop/product/Lawnmower-NGP-16in-Poly-Deck-Push/9059710
    €179 for 16" cut, poly no rust deck. For that price you cant go wrong. They do other models but are out of stock.
    I'd start ringing around, lots of dealers have spring stock behind closed doors, they'll sell over the phone. There's rumours hardware stores may reopen too.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RonanC

49801 wrote: »
    Off spark plug and keep turning over...
    Squirt petrol into carb bowl past the airfilter and keep turning over.
    Repeat till it fires

Thanks- just want to check what you mean by turning over?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,233 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

lipso wrote: »
    For a small lawn I consider going electric. No servicing no storing petrol, no hassle starying it. You would buy a good one with that kind of budget

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement