Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Big Lawnmower Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

deezell wrote: »
    Good choice for a full half acre of grass. If a single blade mower is preferred for robust simplicity of operation, the largest Active (formerly Harry) brand commercial grade 5800 or 5850 (variable speed) represent good value for 57cm cut, aluminium deck, powerful b&s 675 engine, at €850 or €895. It'll take a bit longer to cut than the Timemaster, faster than the Honda, but several €100 less than both.

http://www.hourigans.ie/lawnmowers.htm

I don't see how it will be faster than the honda as the grass box is smaller, and the Toro isn't any faster because again it is limited by the grass box size.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,668 ✭✭✭corks finest

Any deals on small mowers for next year,mine is 8 yrs old ,3 wheels,lead has been cut/ repaired 3 times so safely say it's time to spend ( cost e34 in Aldi/ Lidl years ago)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,622 ✭✭✭deezell

monkeynuz wrote: »
    I don't see how it will be faster than the honda as the grass box is smaller, and the Toro isn't any faster because again it is limited by the grass box size.

Let's do the sums. Cutting 2000 m2 of lawn walking at 4km/h will take (2000/4000×cut width)×60 minutes., = 30/ cut width. Subtract 3cm for average overlap
    Add turning, overlap, bag emptying to this.
    Toro cut, 76-3 cm cut , takes 30/.73 = 41 mins
    Active 57-3 cm cut, takes 55.6 mins
    Honda 53-3 cm cut, takes 60 mins

At 88 litres each for the Toro and Honda grassbags, you'll empty each as often, no difference there.
    At 68 litres for the Active, you'll empty 29% more often, IF you wait till it's full, not till your'e nearest your grass dump. Allowing a generous 30 seconds to empty the bag in a barrow, bin or heap, you would need to empty 40 active bags to 31 Honda bags for the Active to lose its 4.6 minute cutting time advantage, I cant see it needing emptying that many times for the size of plot, but a bag per lap would be more normal as you'll empty close to your barrow, not when its stiffed full but at the wrong end of 100m, and the Active will cut the plot in a lap less.
    Realistically, there's little in the difference of the two single blade cuts, other than price differece, and about one lap less of the plot with the Active. Grass would need to be heavy to give the Honda emptying advantage, but it's not much use if the full bag occurs at the wrong end if the plot for emptying, you tend to empty on a lap basis.

The Toro is obviously hands down the fastest option, it's ridiculous to say otherwise, as its realistic cutting width is 50% greater than the Honda. For this comparison I used the Honda HRX537 as a sampe 21" model with variable speed, so the walking speed for all could be deemed to be the same. The Toro at €1450 is only €250 more than the aluminium decked Honda single speed, almost the same price as the variable speed version, but it's like comparing apples and oranges, as there are a large number of Honda's in the 21" cut size, starting at €900 for steel deck variable speed up to 1600 for aluminium deck hydrostatic. They'll all take an hour to cut this plot. Honda are high end machines, but cutting time is the main factor in a plot this size,

Let's do the sums. Cutting 2000 m2 of lawn walking at 4km/h will take (2000/4000×cut width)×60 minutes., = 30/ cut width. Subtract 3cm for average overlap

At 88 litres each for the Toro and Honda grassbags, you'll empty each as often, no difference there.
    At 68 litres for the Active, you'll empty 29% more often, IF you wait till it's full, not till your'e nearest your grass dump. Allowing a generous 30 seconds to empty the bag in a barrow, bin or heap, you would need to empty 40 active bags to 31 Honda bags for the Active to lose its 4.6 minute cutting time advantage, I cant see it needing emptying that many times for the size of plot, but a bag per lap would be more normal as you'll empty close to your barrow, not when its stiffed full but at the wrong end of 100m, and the Active will cut the plot in a lap less.
    Realistically, there's little in the difference of the two single blade cuts, other than price differece, and about one lap less of the plot with the Active. Grass would need to be heavy to give the Honda emptying advantage, but it's not much use if the full bag occurs at the wrong end if the plot for emptying, you tend to empty on a lap basis.

The Toro is obviously hands down the fastest option, it's ridiculous to say otherwise, as its realistic cutting width is 50% greater than the Honda. For this comparison I used the Honda HRX537 as a sampe 21" model with variable speed, so the walking speed for all could be deemed to be the same. The Toro at €1450 is only €250 more than the aluminium decked Honda single speed, almost the same price as the variable speed version, but it's like comparing apples and oranges, as there are a large number of Honda's in the 21" cut size, starting at €900 for steel deck variable speed up to 1600 for aluminium deck hydrostatic. They'll all take an hour to cut this plot. Honda are high end machines, but cutting time is the main factor in a plot this size,

To say it's ridiculous is a bit strong, you have missed the point, that the toro will need emptying 25% sooner than the Honda, the width advantage only comes into play when mulching.

If the bags need emptying the same amount of times then your sums are re completely irrelevant.

Like I said, no faster with the toro.

To say it's ridiculous is a bit strong, you have missed the point, that the toro will need emptying 25% sooner than the Honda, the width advantage only comes into play when mulching.

If the bags need emptying the same amount of times then your sums are re completely irrelevant.

Like I said, no faster with the toro.
    ????
    Toro is 43% wider than the Honda. 76cm ( 30 inches) cut divided by 53cm (21 inches) cut is 1.43, 43% wider.

Bag capacity is the same. Time spent emptying will therefore will be the same, and a small fraction of mowing time.
    Time spent not cutting turning at corners will be greater the more laps you have to do with a narrower mower. Overlap loss of cutting width is greater the more laps you have to do.

Why are my sums irrelevant, if bag capacity is the same? How in that case will it need emptying 35% more often?
    It's all about the width, baby!

• Advertisement

????
    Toro is 43% wider than the Honda. 76cm ( 30 inches) cut divided by 53cm (21 inches) cut is 1.43, 43% wider.

Bag capacity is the same. Time spent emptying will therefore will be the same, and a small fraction of mowing time.
    Time spent not cutting turning at corners will be greater the more laps you have to do with a narrower mower. Overlap loss of cutting width is greater the more laps you have to do.

Why are my sums irrelevant, if bag capacity is the same? How in that case will it need emptying 35% more often?
    It's all about the width, baby!

You really are missing the point, 800 litres of grass is ten bags irrespective of the mower so time to cut is the same if they are both running at the same speed, the only time it will be quicker with the toro is if mulching (as I said originally) or if the bag on the toro was twice the size.

It's all about the capacity baby!

You really are missing the point, 800 litres of grass is ten bags irrespective of the mower so time to cut is the same if they are both running at the same speed, the only time it will be quicker with the toro is if mulching (as I said originally) or if the bag on the toro was twice the size.

It's all about the capacity baby!

I give up. Think I'll get a 15" Aldi mower to replace my 21" Cobra, seeing as how greater mower width does not apparently make the job of mowing faster anymore. That or try and get back to my original universe, which I seemed to have slipped out of. Got to stop reading Terry Pratchett, Pullman and Murakami. I blame them. Fake science.

I give up. Think I'll get a 15" Aldi mower to replace my 21" Cobra, seeing as how greater mower width does not apparently make the job of mowing faster anymore. That or try and get back to my original universe, which I seemed to have slipped out of. Got to stop reading Terry Pratchett, Pullman and Murakami. I blame them. Fake science.

Bigger mower needs bigger bag to make a difference, I don't understand why you can't grasp that very basic fact, good luck :)

Sorry, I've just reread your post, cobra mower....!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

Now that its coming to end of season, what is the best process for storing a ride on mower. Drain the petrol or pull spark plug?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭jtown

hi all,

Recently acquirer Mountfield 1435e which was in a bad state -
    Got it fixed up with a new deck and bits and pieces.

I am thinking of getting a ride on trailer for it for some light garden work - Does anyone know if the towbars are all generic and any recommendations for purchasing both for the machine?

Any sites would be great for reference.

Thanks

Now that its coming to end of season, what is the best process for storing a ride on mower. Drain the petrol or pull spark plug?

Drain tank or close valve. Run engine till petrol all gone. Maybe drop carb bowel to see if there's any water/gunge in the bottom, clean and refit. ( hand mowers). Take out plugs if you wish, squirt a little light oil or wd40 in and pull the cord a few times. Maybe ensure piston is at top of compression stroke and valves are closed. (Finger over plug hole and turn until all the air has pushed out, single cylinder). Replace plug. Clean air filter sponge or check paper filter, brush out or replace. Drain oil if you wish. Replace oil and filter next spring. Make tea and drink with smug face.
    Some of this is a bit anorak tbh, and more pertinent to walk behind mowers. Far more important to get any wet or stuck on grass off the deck, and from around any light steel. Nows a good time to check drive belts, if you've noticed them a bit slower on the uptake when engaging the deck or drive. Also check blades, especially for fine cracks. You have the winter to chase down best priced replacements if needed. There's lots of winter checklists online, such as
    https://www.briggsandstratton.com/na/en_us/support/maintenance-how-to/browse/putting-your-lawn-mower-to-rest-for-winter.html
    Apart from cleaning, I tend to just store, trickle charge battery, and start and run it a few times, maybe every month. I'd leave some fuel in the tank, I'd dilute this with a fresh top up in spring, about the same time I'd check and touch up blades, and check if the deck needs rust paint. Some manufacturers advise changing blades after a few years regardless, so check your handbook.

jtown wrote: »
    hi all,

Recently acquirer Mountfield 1435e which was in a bad state -
    Got it fixed up with a new deck and bits and pieces.

I am thinking of getting a ride on trailer for it for some light garden work - Does anyone know if the towbars are all generic and any recommendations for purchasing both for the machine?

Any sites would be great for reference.

Thanks

https://www.mowers-online.co.uk/mountfield-tow-bar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

....Make tea and drink with smug face......

:)

Cheers deezell. I've the mower in my new garage for the last 2 weeks getting nice and dry so should make life easier for me to clean the deck etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

On paper 100%... in practice though as a owner of a Turfmaster which is same as timemaster I can say the comment about being poor at bagging is spot on. Deck bog’s fairly easily too. I found myself tipping on it side every bag empty to clear the deck... (more time) in the end I cracked the engine mount from not being careful bringing it back to flat. Expensive lesson.

So I started side discharging instead and raking the heaviest clumps.

Irish grass is too wet and heavy for the toro twin blade to bag reliably. I’d cut weekly but you’d want to be cutting every 3 days to bag reliably with one.

If I was buying again I’d probably go the Honda route or the active... active as someone mentioned they are excellent with wet grass which is an excellent characteristic for Ireland!

49801 wrote: »
    On paper 100%... in practice though as a owner of a Turfmaster which is same as timemaster I can say the comment about being poor at bagging is spot on. Deck bog’s fairly easily too. I found myself tipping on it side every bag empty to clear the deck... (more time) in the end I cracked the engine mount from not being careful bringing it back to flat. Expensive lesson.

So I started side discharging instead and raking the heaviest clumps.

Irish grass is too wet and heavy for the toro twin blade to bag reliably. I’d cut weekly but you’d want to be cutting every 3 days to bag reliably with one.

If I was buying again I’d probably go the Honda route or the active... active as someone mentioned they are excellent with wet grass which is an excellent characteristic for Ireland!

All bets are off in heavy wet grass. You'd want agricultural machinery in those conditions. I suppose the clue is in the name, lawnmower, for mowing lawns, proper laid down lawn grass. Many Irish 'lawns' are more like pastures, some are actually the original meadow grass with a bungalow plonked in the middle.
    In normal conditions in a well tended slow growing lawn, more width means faster cut. 2cm can make a difference, as I found out when dropping this much to get the model of choice with electric start. An 80 metre verge of approx 2m which took a tidy 3 laps, 6 mower widths, now requires an annoying extra run, there's always a strip in the centre. When mowing dry, light fine lawn, a 76cm cut will eat up the ground compare to a 53cm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Pkt123

Hi i have the same problem with the same lawnmower I have restored it and have a lot of pictures if ur still interested in doing it I’m in Tullamore
    rn wrote: »
    Hi,
    In 2011 I "invested" in a decent mower and I bought a Husqvarna r53sv. It's the clone of some mcculloch mower, it has a Honda engine. Anyway overall an excellent mower, despite it being front wheel drive. The Honda engine is super easy prime and start. Never had a days trouble.

Until now. The deck has rusted badly. The front skirt around the blade rusted on one side and it broke free. One day, last month it got caught in the rotating blade and broke clean off other side.

So now mower works, but grass flies out front of mower as well as back into the bag. It leaves bits of grass all over the lawn, much to dislike of my wife when me and dog bring them into kitchen.

I rang my local, trusty husqvarna retailer who told me mower is now end of life and my mower is unrepairable. I'm really disappointed with this from a "premium" brand. Especially as the mower wasn't worked hard, grass cut regularly and rarely wet. Deck cleaned every year and engine serviced. In fact engine and drive are 100%.

Have I any options to repair the deck? Is there anyone that would take this mower for trade in towards a new one?
    Im based in Athlone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Pkt123

Pkt123 wrote: »
    Hi i have the same problem with the same lawnmower I have restored it and have a lot of pictures if ur still interested in doing it I’m in Tullamore

I could send u the pictures

Pkt123 wrote: »
    I could send u the pictures

Post them here, we're all interested in stuff like this. What did you spend on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Did anyone here ever enter a grass cutting championship? some seriously hardcore stuff in this thread

• Advertisement

Thinking of purchasing the following for my moss filled garden.. Anyone have any experience with a machine like this ?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001P3NUMQ?ref=em_1p_1_ti&ref_=pe_22122701_435781281

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Slasher

Thinking of purchasing the following for my moss filled garden.. Anyone have any experience with a machine like this ?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001P3NUMQ?ref=em_1p_1_ti&ref_=pe_22122701_435781281

Thanks

I rented a similar product from HSS Hire a couple of years ago. Couldn't believe the volume of stuff it scooped up. Lidl and Aldi occasionally have similar rakes for sale for about €99.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RonanC

Thanks

I have it and it is great for scarifying. The cord is fairly short so depending on the size of your garden you might need an extension lead.

RonanC wrote: »
    I have it and it is great for scarifying. The cord is fairly short so depending on the size of your garden you might need an extension lead.

Large garden but have a large extension lead - Where did you buy it ? Amazon would be coming from UK and prefer to shop local

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RonanC

- Where did you buy it ? Amazon would be coming from UK and prefer to shop local

Amazon!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 hieoin

2000 m2 garden, any recommendations on what robot mower to get for it

hieoin wrote: »
    2000 m2 garden, any recommendations on what robot mower to get for it

The biggest you can budget for. 2000m2 is a half acre, substantial size.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 hieoin

Thanks it’s 1960 caught between Robomow 635 and hus 450x

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Any recommendations for new lawnmower, we've 3 lawns, reckon the largest is about 50ft x 100ft, the other 2 are about the same combined.

Not the best quality lawn, live in country - have chickens and dogs which both wreck it.

Needs to be petrol, self propelled, budget is approx 500. we would be replacing a Toro, which was a present around 15 yrs ago. I know we can't afford the same again.

• Advertisement

angeldaisy wrote: »
    Any recommendations for new lawnmower, we've 3 lawns, reckon the largest is about 50ft x 100ft, the other 2 are about the same combined.

Not the best quality lawn, live in country - have chickens and dogs which both wreck it.

Needs to be petrol, self propelled, budget is approx 500. we would be replacing a Toro, which was a present around 15 yrs ago. I know we can't afford the same again.

Under a quarter acre of grass, this 21" (53 cm) Castelgarden with B&S engine will do the job smartly.
    https://robertkee.ie/product/castelgarden-walk-behind-lawnmower-xc53bsw4
    Get it for a bit less in arm rentals in Newry. Its €499 pretty much all dealers here, you might get a bit extra off in person.

Then there's this generic Proplus for a ton less, 21" B&S, looks decent.
    https://grange.ie/builders-providers/proplus-53cm-self-prop-6hp-lawnmower-briggs-engine

This Cobra 21" with Honda engine, €545, from Brodericks in Baldonnel is probably worth the extra, but you will likely get it at your budget if you turn up and deal, there was 10% going there last year when I bought the Premium electric start.
    https://www.lawnmowerworld.ie/product/cobra-mx534sph-21-premium-lawnmower/

Advertisement