Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Big Lawnmower Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭deezell

That could possibly be a licensing issue. I know that GGP aren’t keen on Irish/UK companies shipping to Europe

Except Agrieuro are an Italian company, not UK, shipping to Eu and non Eu. I suppose GGP might have a distribution nertwork/ wholesaler in UK, and with brexit, they feel they can't supply via an EU based online company.
    German prices so much lower that Irish or Italian, have they no VAT on grass machinery? Regardless, its annoying for us here still in the eu being treated like we're in the UK because we use the English language version of the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Anyone know anywhere that does parts for World mowers?
    Bought a second hand one and it needs a few fiddly bits.

GreeBo wrote: »
    Anyone know anywhere that does parts for World mowers?
    Bought a second hand one and it needs a few fiddly bits.

Topline sell them so they'll know the agents. Ring your nearest topline store.

Also Shanley mowers in Newcastle co Dublin sell them, and would keep some spares.

Cheers deezell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭limktime

I don't really know anything about lawnmowers. Any opinions on this or recommendations for an alternative? I'm looking for a 51-53cm. Thanks

https://www.diy.com/departments/mac-allister-mlmp170h51-170cc-petrol-lawnmower/3663602423249_BQ.prd

limktime wrote: »
    I don't really know anything about lawnmowers. Any opinions on this or recommendations for an alternative? I'm looking for a 51-53cm. Thanks

https://www.diy.com/departments/mac-allister-mlmp170h51-170cc-petrol-lawnmower/3663602423249_BQ.prd

That's whats known as a store generic or big box lawnmower. Mass produced for big stores, it would have parts in common with other spurious branded mowers sold in large chain hardware stores. Usually made in china, though this comes with a Honda engine, so the engine will probably outlast the deck and drive. A lot of mower for £349, or get the 202cc Honda engine version with alloy deck for only £355, though its not in stock anywhere.
    The MOUNTFIELD SP53H 167CC is an identical Honda engine mower, I see it on the Screwfix.ie site for €423, available to view/collect in their Swords, Sandyford, Waterford or Ennis stores,.
    https://www.screwfix.ie/p/mountfield-sp53h-167cc-self-propelled-rotary-petrol-lawn-mower/976fy

Would this Toro be worth the extra https://www.diy.com/departments/toro-recycler-29734-163cc-petrol-lawnmower/9310317297347_BQ.prd compared to the Mountfield SP53H above?

Would this Toro be worth the extra https://www.diy.com/departments/toro-recycler-29734-163cc-petrol-lawnmower/9310317297347_BQ.prd compared to the Mountfield SP53H above?

Toro a good robust brand. For the variable speed drive and superior brand name it would be worth the extra £100, both mowers are in Bangor where you linked to so go and compare. The Mountfield is £368, €427, so it's a fiver cheaper in Screwfix

The Mountfield is actually discounted to £298 in TradePoint UK, which is just the trade counter of B&Q, but frustratingly only a few UK shops have it, collect only. While it's still in stock in B&Q in Bangor, it's full shop price, £368, and showing as out of stock on TradePoint.uk site when you select NI stores. Grrr. Maybe go there and demand trade price, if it's close to being a discontinued item in B&Q.

https://www.trade-point.co.uk/departments/mountfield-sp53h-160cc-petrol-lawnmower/1022290_TP.prd

• Advertisement

deezell wrote: »
    The Mountfield is actually discounted to £298 in TradePoint UK, which is just the trade counter of B&Q, but frustratingly only a few UK shops have it, collect only. While it's still in stock in B&Q in Bangor, it's full shop price, £368, and showing as out of stock on TradePoint.uk site when you select NI stores. Grrr. Maybe go there and demand trade price, if it's close to being a discontinued item in B&Q.

https://www.trade-point.co.uk/departments/mountfield-sp53h-160cc-petrol-lawnmower/1022290_TP.prd

I’m in Limerick so I’m not sure if I’ll travel north or not. The SP53H is no longer in stock in Ennis either and it’s €470 in B&Q Limerick. I’ll have think about what to do.

I’m in Limerick so I’m not sure if I’ll travel north or not. The SP53H is no longer in stock in Ennis either and it’s €470 in B&Q Limerick. I’ll have think about what to do.

Screwfix deliver, not sure of cost.

Delivery not available, but theres 1 in stock in Waterford screwfix, €423.95
    Units 5 and 6
    Tramore Road Business Park
    Waterford
    Waterford
    X91 F744

This Webb Supreme is actually a good deal, respected brand, B&S engine, 53cm, all for €399, and the coop stores all around you in Raheen, Killaloe, Parteen etc.
    https://www.coopsuperstores.ie/Garden/Lawnmowers/Petrol-Lawnmowers/Webb-53cm-Briggs--Stratton-4-In-1-Self-Propelled-Petrol-Lawn-Mower-1775104

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

This Webb Supreme is actually a good deal, respected brand, B&S engine, 53cm, all for €399, and the coop stores all around you in Raheen, Killaloe, Parteen etc.

It looks to me like a rebadged chinese machine. Webb used to be a good name now they are just a name.

Not a bad mower at a reasonable price, but the one I have (yellow under some made up brand name) has the problem that its dead fiddly to get the grass box on.

Anyone any ideas about fixing the beeping noise on a Honda 2415 ride on?

Its an old machine (2005) and I'll be hunting for a replacement this year but I'd like to keep it for as much of this year as I can.

The beeping should mean the grass box is full but I have checked the switch that controls that and its working fine (checked with a meter then tried with the switch removed and then with the circuit shorted out - to simulate switch closed and it just keeps on beeping). The beeping only occurs when the blades are enabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Delboy5

Hi deezell,

Which of these is best:

Premium Grade Cobra MX515SPBI 20″

or

ACTIVE 5850 SVB

Delboy5 wrote: »
    Hi deezell,

Which of these is best:

Premium Grade Cobra MX515SPBI 20″

or

ACTIVE 5850 SVB

I have that Cobra, bought it for the electric start, (for swmbo), but the aluminium deck sealed the deal. Would have liked a 21" but the difference between it and my old Stiga 53cm is less than an inch. I got 10% off the list price at Brodericks, which was about €689 last year I think, so a lot of mower for a few quid over €600.
    The Active (formerly Harry) has a long established rep, and that 5850 is big beast at 57cm and a huge 190cc B&S engine. With Aluminium deck and wheels, variable speed and plate clutch it will last a lifetime with care. At €895 in Hourigans Limerick, it's a good bit pricier than the Cobra, but more of a tank. It'll take a good pull to start that big engine, might not suit the older or lighter user. My only gripe is the four separate wheel adjusters, a pita if you are going from fine to rough, or mowing curved ground, slopes or banks where you need to quickly raise a notch or two to avoid scalping.

GinSoaked wrote: »
    It looks to me like a rebadged chinese machine. Webb used to be a good name now they are just a name.

Not a bad mower at a reasonable price, but the one I have (yellow under some made up brand name) has the problem that its dead fiddly to get the grass box on.
    Of course the machines are probably made in China, but so are Apple IPhones. It's the maufacturing quality control exercised by the recognised brand plus the backup that is the difference between these and say a chain store Budget Big Box Bargain Buy, ( B'jasus, say that with a mouthful of grass).

Anyone any ideas about fixing the beeping noise on a Honda 2415 ride on?

Its an old machine (2005) and I'll be hunting for a replacement this year but I'd like to keep it for as much of this year as I can.

The beeping should mean the grass box is full but I have checked the switch that controls that and its working fine (checked with a meter then tried with the switch removed and then with the circuit shorted out - to simulate switch closed and it just keeps on beeping). The beeping only occurs when the blades are enabled.
    Trace the wires to the control board, could be one pulled off or broken internally, use your meter to check continuity .Is there a grass box seating switch also? Check for that.

• Advertisement

Trace the wires to the control board, could be one pulled off or broken internally, use your meter to check continuity .Is there a grass box seating switch also? Check for that.

I don't think one wire pulled off or a broken wire would set it off? afaik after checking the continuity of the microswitch and removing it altogether the switch has to close to make the circuit so I am looking more for a short circuit than loose wires.

The grass box seating switch circuit may have something to do with it or be another problem altogether. The grass box seating switch works and shuts of the engine if its open when the deck is engaged but it doesn't show up on the dashboard as working?

This year when I took it out of the barn it was really showing its age and I had to fix the connectors on the back of the main key switch before it would start but it ran OK for an hour after that before the buzzer grass full box came on whenever the blades were engaged.

I can't ever remember if the buzzer sounds for reverse (when blades are running) but the switch for reverse seems to work OK.

I wouldn't mind if I needed an expensive part provided I could find out what was causing it.

I might just disconnect the buzzer :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Looking at picking up a hrx 537 hye. 1250 seems to be the cheapest I’ve found it in Ireland hardly get better than that?

RE My Honda 2415 ride on, ended up disconnecting the buzzer and an hour into mowing it developed a new electric fault the petrol light stays on even with a full tank :( Now looking harder for a replacement but hope to see out the season with the 2415.

shanec1928 wrote: »
    Looking at picking up a hrx 537 hye. 1250 seems to be the cheapest I’ve found it in Ireland hardly get better than that?

995 pounds in am rentals in Newry at the minute. They deliver for 30 pounds. That's around €1100 and sterling is still dropping.

There used to be an option to pay in sterling on Robert kee but I can't see it on my phone and it says out if stock.

The VYE is usually cheaper if you can get one. Same mower different controls. I usually get them around the 1150 mark.

RE My Honda 2415 ride on, ended up disconnecting the buzzer and an hour into mowing it developed a new electric fault the petrol light stays on even with a full tank :( Now looking harder for a replacement but hope to see out the season with the 2415.

Y'know, that sounds like a poor battery live or earth problem, or a poor earth for the control board. You can get all sorts of funny behaviour if the battery goes out of circuit while running, buzzers sound, lamps light up etc. The full bag sound on this model is a series of beeps, but an electrical fault gives out a continuous beep, which generally requires turning off and on to reset. I had a similar fault years ago on a Castelgarden, continuous alarm sound, I'd turn off, then poor or intermittent starting, all caused by poor electrical contact inside the crimp of the battery positive connection, which meant the charging voltage was intermittently unfettered and unsmoothed. With age the copper conductors can get oxidised and poorly conducting, or an earthing point can get corroded, causing odd local votage conditions for the control board, relays, charging regulator etc. If your buzzer tone is continuous, then it's not the full bag alarm. Heres the manual, page 35 and elsewhere.
    https://www.honda.co.jp/ownersmanual/pdf/power/lawn-garden/32CG11505090_web.pdf?genpo=HondaMotorEurope&model=HF2415
    I was tardy in permanently fixing that particular fault and it done for the charging regulator eventually as a kind of karmic punishment for my laziness.

Its the same sound as the bag full always made, it even started going wrong after I emptied a full bag in that after emptying it the beep beep beep noise kept going.

Definitely had corroded terminals and been through everyone on the unit checking them. Had been through most just to get it started. Thought the battery was flat but turned out to be a bad terminal connection on the ignition switch.

Battery is fine as are all the earth points all checked taken apart cleaned and reconnected. Also sorted out an intermittent battery charging issue (loose corroded connectors from the regulator on the motor).

The fact that the fuel warning and bag full switches are both near the back of the unit and their cables run down the right hand side of the mower below the seat between the plastic and the metal frame where I can't easily get to them leaves me with the possibility there is damage I can't see. Getting grass cut was my main priority having spent toooo long trying to fix it so might take another look when I have more time.

Its the same sound as the bag full always made, it even started going wrong after I emptied a full bag in that after emptying it the beep beep beep noise kept going.

Definitely had corroded terminals and been through everyone on the unit checking them. Had been through most just to get it started. Thought the battery was flat but turned out to be a bad terminal connection on the ignition switch.

Battery is fine as are all the earth points all checked taken apart cleaned and reconnected. Also sorted out an intermittent battery charging issue (loose corroded connectors from the regulator on the motor).

The fact that the fuel warning and bag full switches are both near the back of the unit and their cables run down the right hand side of the mower below the seat between the plastic and the metal frame where I can't easily get to them leaves me with the possibility there is damage I can't see. Getting grass cut was my main priority having spent toooo long trying to fix it so might take another look when I have more time.

Bizarre electrical problems suck. You really would feel like ripping it all out and just doing a crude rewire, start, stop and charge. Its possibly some wires' insulation worn through from vibration and shorting. I had an intermittent on a brand new mower recently, turned out a microswitch spade connector was factory spray painted prior to push on wiring connector. Connector dislodged enough paint to make a connection, but after a few uses the connector would shift due to vibration to a painted part of the spade pin and lose connectivity. Head wrecking. Good luck anyway, treat yourself to a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭BobBobBobBob

Hi, can someone recommend a decent battery lawnmover?

The lawn is a decent size, have front and back lawns.

Have a budget of between €300/400.

Thanks

B

You'll have to give more info than "decent size" as that means different things to different people...

• Advertisement

Hi, can someone recommend a decent battery lawnmover?

The lawn is a decent size, have front and back lawns.

Have a budget of between €300/400.

Thanks

B

This Cobra is in your budget, Brodericks also do the EGO range, serious looking cordless, maybe a bit pricy, but worth a look. I was impressed by them while in the shop to buy a petrol mower.
    https://www.lawnmowerworld.ie/product-category/battery-lawnmowers/

Advertisement