Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Big Lawnmower Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,986 ✭✭✭cena

IMG_20190911_141356.jpg

Any got one of these. Borrowed the neighbours ride on and the battery has gone flat

• Registered Users Posts: 6,589 ✭✭✭deezell

fryup wrote: »
    deezell wrote: »
    2016 since I done that, trying to find record of purchase, I gave all my parts diagrams away when I sold the mower in 2017, but... I've tracked it down. This was the type used in the older tc102, 1998 onwards, but there are others.

€21. If it's the same as yours you're sorted.

i mean how much to get it repaired in a repair shop ?
    If it's just that part and they have it to hand, an hour's work? Plus the part cost at say €30. I'm guessing €60+. I do all my repairs, family stuff also, no one ever pays me, so I've no idea what a business charges.

cena wrote: »
    IMG_20190911_141356.jpg

Any got one of these. Borrowed the neighbours ride on and the battery has gone flat
    It's just a small 12v battery. Charge it up if you have a car charger. That mower's in s***e, isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,986 ✭✭✭cena

deezell wrote: »
    It's just a small 12v battery. Charge it up if you have a car charger. That mower's in s***e, isn't it?

Not got a charger. It's a in bad shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭rn

Have the mucolloch painted up, filled it up with oil and petrol and gave it a spin out. Have to say, very happy with it. Easy start Honda is very easy start. Rear wheel drive is much better than front wheel that was on husqsi. It's lighter and easier to maneuver. Decent grass collector. Hopefully will get a good few years out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,793 ✭✭✭✭listermint

listermint wrote: »
    Have a husky power push with a Briggs and Stratton 650 Exi on it.

One of those long life 'no oil' change jobs .

She started running low rpm today after couple of minutes cutting. Use the mower maybe ever 6 weeks or more as have a robot mower for most of garden.

Changed the oil out completely. Emptied the fuel in case it was gone off and replaced with brand new. Checked the spark ok. Took off the air filter etc . No change in Rpm.

She starts up grand but is running about half or less rpms. Not enough to cut a blade.

Any ideas what to check next. She's about two and a bit year old hasn't had a hard existence.

So I cleaned out the pin in the bowl. Tiny bit of dirt in it nothing major. Fitted all back together. Same low engine idle.

She's reving up high if I adjust the black swing arm attached to the rod arrowed green in pic below. But she won't maintain the revs just drops back down.

I presume this is all controlled by rod . I've no rpm or choke on the control arms as it's a new mower. The rod in purple goes to thermostat at exhaust.

I'm not sure what does what. Is there any way to adjust these at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

So if you go to the end of the rod with the green arrow does is go to a lever attached to a rod coming out of the side of the engine?

If it does thats an internal governor and while I've never had one come loose in hundreds of engines I've used it is supposed to be possible. I'll have a look later and find the instructions for adjusting the linkage. There is a clamp at the bottom of the lever that clamps it to the rod that comes out of the engine and thats where you adjust it.

my3cents wrote: »
    So if you go to the end of the rod with the green arrow does is go to a lever attached to a rod coming out of the side of the engine?

If it does thats an internal governor and while I've never had one come loose in hundreds of engines I've used it is supposed to be possible. I'll have a look later and find the instructions for adjusting the linkage. There is a clamp at the bottom of the lever that clamps it to the rod that comes out of the engine and thats where you adjust it.

The rod goes to the rear and is attached to a lever coming out of the engine.

The rod and the plastic attachment at the front are all free moving. No spring or anything attached to them so I presume the governor inside isn't meant to be as free moving . As in it should return to some resting position. I don't have a resting position

http://www.smallenginesuppliers.com/shop/html/governor_adjustment.html bottom of page but check youtube I'm sure I've watched a strip down video on how to adjust that linkage after rebuilding an engine.

http://www.smallenginesuppliers.com/shop/html/governor_adjustment.html bottom of page but check youtube I'm sure I've watched a strip down video on how to adjust that linkage after rebuilding an engine.

Governor spring is missing it's a long one from governor rod to carb housing. That's why I've all the free play. Simple but now I've to get a spring :)

• Advertisement

Find the part number https://www.briggsandstratton.com/eu/en_gb/support/faqs/browse/find-part-number.html then check Amazon, ebay or you local dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Hi all, I bought a World walk behind lawnmower with a Briggs and Stratton 575i engine. It has a push button battery start, which I thought would be perfect for me as I don't have the muscle power to start a pull cord machine. My problem is that instead of being "Instant" start, it can take about 5 minutes or more to start, and when I stop to empty the grass bag, it often does not start again. Could it be a starter problem, or a dodgy battery? I make sure the battery is fully charged. From the sound of the engine it sounds like it's not getting enough power to start up. Very annoying, especially on a nice fine day! Thanks for any tip/ hints.

Simplest thing you could do to start with is try replacing the spark plug with a new one.

Thanks, my3cents, I tried that. I know nothing about lawnmowers, either it starts or it doesn't! A replacement battery is in the region of 70 euro, so I was wondering if there was anything I could try before lashing out that sort of money. It's a great little mower when it goes, my garden is on a slope, and it flies along. Pity it's not dependable.

madmaggie wrote: »
    Thanks, my3cents, I tried that. I know nothing about lawnmowers, either it starts or it doesn't! A replacement battery is in the region of 70 euro, so I was wondering if there was anything I could try before lashing out that sort of money. It's a great little mower when it goes, my garden is on a slope, and it flies along. Pity it's not dependable.

Is it starting OK from cold? If it is and the problem is the hot start after you have stopped to empty the bag I really doubt the problem is the battery.

I never bother stopping the mower when I empty the bag. I have a bit of string around the safety handle :o

5 minute walk up and down be garden

And this appears..... :). Flimsy thing all the same.

5 minute walk up and down be garden

And this appears..... :). Flimsy thing all the same.

Well at least thats 100% conformation of what you need, it might even work still if it doesn't work as is then see if you can shorten it and turn the first part of the spring into the hook and cut the current hook off.

@my3cents, it can take 5 minutes or more to start up from cold, I get fed up with it. Usually restarts when I stop to empty the bag, but by no means is this a certainty. It's the inability of the battery to start up the mower is the real problem. Thanks for the tip with the string, must remember that!

madmaggie wrote: »
    @my3cents, it can take 5 minutes or more to start up from cold, I get fed up with it. Usually restarts when I stop to empty the bag, but by no means is this a certainty. It's the inability of the battery to start up the mower is the real problem. Thanks for the tip with the string, must remember that!

Hard to say what is the problem. Was it always this way? I used to cut grass with a team of lads and we used to get an issue where a mower would be fine one minute then after hitting something solid would be next to impossible to start. The reason was a coupling pin on the flywheel that is meant to shear off if you hit anything. Easy fix to replace it depending on your mechanical skill level but really only relevant if you have hit something really solid like a house brick when cutting.

The other issue with some briggs engines is the carburetor. I think its possible that you have the carb thats plastic and built into the petrol tank? Thats what I would replace before doing anything else but that needs a bit of DIY experience. If your carb looks like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Carburettor-Stratton-Classic-Engines-498809A/dp/B07QB1TSQF/ then there is a chance replacing it may help.

So replaced the spring. Started and ran perfectly cut some grass to test it all good.

Went back inside changed and came back out to give the grass a run over.

She's now surging. Bare in mind I cleaned out the carb the other day . Fuel is new.

Video below.

https://youtu.be/JT_NzdJwMcA

Any ideas what to check?

• Advertisement

Bit of a loss there? I'd still consider checking that needle on the end of the float valve, sometimes you get one that needs regular attention. I'd also check the parts diagram a lot of small Briggs engines have two springs and I can only see one. Another thing I have done myself when I've had that sort of issue is to run at least one tank full of Aspen fuel through it. I actually avoid one local garage as I get problems with a Honda engine when I use it (low power and hunting) but if I change garage the problem goes away.

Ya the other spring is not visible it's under the fuel tank connecting to the rear spring arm for the governor. The visible spring is connected to the air intake lever.

@madmaggie spotted this when trying to check if listermint's carburetor should have one or two springs.

Edit> Doh forgot link

Thanks my3cents.

And one for listermint, from about 4min 30 seconds.

I forgot to mention cleaning the holes in the carb plug.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 high society

Hi guys, just a question for you. We've moved to a house with a big garden, nearly an acre, having had a tiny garden in Dublin. Problem is, we're at a loss as to what sort of mower to get. It's a beautiful garden, designed in smaller garden areas, small orchard, wooded area, flower beds, even a pond, and trees dotted around most of the rest. Looking at Stiga, having seen some of the posts here, metal deck, and wondered if Agrieuro, either UK or Italian ones mentioned in this thread, are still the best value. Appreciate any advice. Thank you.

And one for listermint, from about 4min 30 seconds.

I forgot to mention cleaning the holes in the carb plug.

ya mine seem to be a plastic thing with a ball bearing on it too. Doesnt appear to be anyway to remove it sans damage.

so just tried blowing through it.

Gave it a run out and cut the grass yesterday idle still has that problem but shes running. It may clean itself out il just give it some hard work see if it shifts.

ya mine seem to be a plastic thing with a ball bearing on it too. Doesnt appear to be anyway to remove it sans damage.

so just tried blowing through it.

Gave it a run out and cut the grass yesterday idle still has that problem but shes running. It may clean itself out il just give it some hard work see if it shifts.

Then try sticking at least a liter of Aspen fuel through it.

Hi guys, just a question for you. We've moved to a house with a big garden, nearly an acre, having had a tiny garden in Dublin. Problem is, we're at a loss as to what sort of mower to get. It's a beautiful garden, designed in smaller garden areas, small orchard, wooded area, flower beds, even a pond, and trees dotted around most of the rest. Looking at Stiga, having seen some of the posts here, metal deck, and wondered if Agrieuro, either UK or Italian ones mentioned in this thread, are still the best value. Appreciate any advice. Thank you.
    Have a look at your site on Google maps, try and estimate how much of the acre is grass. If it's near half or more, you will need a big size mower, 53 cm blade at least. If the grass area is dotted with curves, trees, beds etc, this will further slow up mowing. Variable speed is useful for negotiating obstacle courses slowly, then open up on the straight. A small ride on may not suit if the grass area is fractured and fussy. I'd advise hiring a wide power driven walk behind a few times to see out the season, and see how long it takes and if it's a pita. You'll soon figure out if you need a ride on, or maybe an extra wide walk behind like the Toro Timemaster, 76cm cut, close in size to small ride ons but a lot less expensive, about twice the price of a 53cm walk behind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 high society

Thanks Deezell, much appreciate reply. Have a petrol mower, but tbh, it takes at least three hours to get it all cut, once a week, which is fine, but that's only cutting the grass. I need something that will take the heavy work out of this job at least. Coming into the autumn, there will be the leaf fall again, and with quite a number of trees, I was hoping to get a mulcher attachment with a ride on, to cut down on the amount of cuttings I have to compost. The grass in the most open area, still has six ornamental trees, hedging around it, and a biggish flower bed. The other main grass area, has about ten trees, and hedging around the house and roadside area. Absolutely beautiful garden, but if I can make one task easier, I'll take it!!

Advertisement