Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Election 2020 - See MOD note in First Post

• 13-01-2020 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭

Damien Tiernan saying a first time GE candidate for Waterford will be announced tomorrow and will throw the consistency wide open.

Reported to be Matt Shanahan.

MOD NOTE:
    Lets keep it civil and on-topic. No name-calling or other childish carry-on.
    Be aware of libelous comments - big claims require big evidence!

If you are in any way involved with the local candidates or political parties you must declare this before you engage in the discussion.

Any misbehaviour will be dealt with swiftly and without further warning.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭dzilla

John Delaney

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

Is there a list of confirmed candidates anywhere? If anyone has confirmed!

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

I have it on good authority it’s Howdo, being backed by the O’Meara’s

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

jimbojazz wrote: »
    I have it on good authority it’s Howdo, being backed by the O’Meara’s

I'd prefer if it was howdo to the other fella...will Waterford learn lesson from last time that these independents are useless

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Saturday Feb 8th. Delighted that they're not closing the schools again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Damien Tiernan saying a first time GE candidate for Waterford will be announced tomorrow and will throw the consistency wide open.

Reported to be Matt Shanahan.

The 'consistency' has been mostly sh1te for years. The constituency on the other hand could do with being thrown wide open. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

I'd like to know this too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I genuinely cannot envisage why I should cast a vote for any of those who are likely to be standing at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,780 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I genuinely cannot envisage why I should cast a vote for any of those who are likely to be standing at this point.

I've gone through this phase myself, voting can be extremely frustrating, but I now accept the importance of it, and why we should continue to vote, throw something on the ballot paper

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

I suspect we'll see an official confirmed list of candidates in the coming days.

Meanwhile this gives a good indication - https://adriankavanaghelections.org/2017/04/19/candidates-for-the-next-2017-2021-general-election-by-constituency/.

It's updated those that have confirmed but is not a complete, definitive, list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,711 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Can you vote abroad online etc???

I'm away in Germany the day of the election

Candidates will start announcing their intentions today.

John Halligan hasn't confirmed he's running yet for example.

hardybuck wrote:
    John Halligan hasn't confirmed he's running yet for example.

Rumour has it, hes retiring

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Gardner

Heard Matt Shanahan on DT show this morning. car crash stuff. Said it here when Eddie Mulligan ran as an independent that he would join FF within a year and Matt Shanahan confirmed in the interview that he canvassed for Paudie Coffey in the last election and would join FF if the deal was right...... says a lot about the individual himself on those statements alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I hope Mary Butler gets sent packing

• Registered Users Posts: 37,711 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

False promises with a high pay packet for all those cronies

Gardner wrote: »
    Heard Matt Shanahan on DT show this morning. car crash stuff. Said it here when Eddie Mulligan ran as an independent that he would join FF within a year and Matt Shanahan confirmed in the interview that he canvassed for Paudie Coffey in the last election and would join FF if the deal was right...... says a lot about the individual himself on those statements alone.

Canvassed for FG but would be open to joining FF!?

From what I've listened to and observed from Shanahan I think he'd struggle pretty badly as a TD - however there are plenty like him.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

Imagine going from a fine representative like Mary Roche to Matt Shanahan...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Gardner wrote: »

.. well this i would respect to some degree in that if your goal is to get elected on the basis of a local issue that you would get into bed with anyone who would help you achieve that goal.

Of course its awful.. parish pump and all that, but whatever if thats what the people want... at least they know what they are getting.

.... unlike the peoples champion, Halligan who is likely going to retire now that he has the pension pot he has craved for so long. Too bad. Had high hopes for him for a little while. He wouldnt stand a chance of reelection though.

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    .. well this i would respect to some degree in that if your goal is to get elected on the basis of a local issue that you would get into bed with anyone who would help you achieve that goal.

Of course its awful.. parish pump and all that, but whatever if thats what the people want... at least they know what they are getting.

.... unlike the peoples champion, Halligan who is likely going to retire now that he has the pension pot he has craved for so long. Too bad. Had high hopes for him for a little while. He wouldnt stand a chance of reelection though.

It's the same sort of stuff the Healy Rae family do in Kerry. Jackie supported FF administrations for years and got stuff that his area wouldn't and probably shouldn't have got in normal circumstances.

I would prefer a scenario where a skilled public representative advocated for their area and achieved results via appropriate channels, rather than propping up a Government that will throw them a few crumbs to buy their support.

I disagree that Halligan wouldn't stand a chance of re-election - definitely in the mix for a seat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

Not looking like a geat line-up to choose from, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

hardybuck wrote: »
    It's the same sort of stuff the Healy Rae family do in Kerry. Jackie supported FF administrations for years and got stuff that his area wouldn't and probably shouldn't have got in normal circumstances.

I would prefer a scenario where a skilled public representative advocated for their area and achieved results via appropriate channels, rather than propping up a Government that will throw them a few crumbs to buy their support.

I disagree that Halligan wouldn't stand a chance of re-election - definitely in the mix for a seat.

I'd prefer that scenario of a skilled person too but its not happening is it, youre either in the tent or not, thats Ireland, Irish politics, trading favours, etc. Disagree with halligan, I think the writing about not accomplishing anything is clearly on the wall. Yes, you could say that about all 4 but deasy and culinane werent in the tent, butler unlikely to do anything as her first time and halligan was neither in or out, nowhere.maybe butler could do something second time around if FF are biggest party but I wouldnt have much confidence with what I saw. Cullnane to be fair, provided decent opposition, easy enough job though.

I've decided, I'll vote for the <snip>! Seriously though David Cullinane is the only one who seems fairly competent and focused on issues that I'd consider just. Environment, public sector spending, private exploitation of the job seekers programme etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

I've decided, I'll vote for the <snip>! Seriously though David Cullinane is the only one who seems fairly competent and focused on issues that I'd consider just. Environment, public sector spending, private exploitation of the job seekers programme etc.

Could you list out his achievements.

In opposition? Always tricky that. All I can say is that he seems to know his way round the Public Accounts Committ-ee. Doing well on that seems to be a good way into higher things but SF will need to somehow end up being more needed than not post election. I expect FF/FG will stitch things up between themselves again with no room for a genuine coalition with SF, Labour or whoever.

In opposition? Always tricky that. All I can say is that he seems to know his way round the Public Accounts Committ-ee. Doing well on that seems to be a good way into higher things but SF will need to somehow end up being more needed than not post election. I expect FF/FG will stitch things up between themselves again with no room for a genuine coalition with SF, Labour or whoever.

Same. Think he is the best politician we have but also think Sinn Fein will always be just opposition. So unfortunately while being a good talker he will never really achieve any real results for Waterford in the way Martin Cullen (motorway and ring road) and Paudie Coffey (North Quays zoneing and Walsh Park) have achieved.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭DLS_75

We know what we’ll get from him, which is a lot of giving out.

I was a Matt fan but his behaviour this week has put me right off him.

DLS_75 wrote: »
    We know what we’ll get from him, which is a lot of giving out.

I was a Matt fan but his behaviour this week has put me right off him.

It suits Sinn Fein to give out. Look at what happened when they had to make tough decisions on the budget locally. They just opposed everything but couldn't even suggest a solution.

Matt could be effective if the main parties need numbers to form a government. Having said that halligan was in that position and failed to deliver.

I suspect you could be right about ff and fg stitching things again, another confidence and supply wouldn't surprise me, these two have effectively locked out any alternatives

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Rumour has it, hes retiring

Confirmed Halligan is retiring now.

Advertisement