Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election 2020 - See MOD note in First Post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Matt could be effective if the main parties need numbers to form a government. Having said that halligan was in that position and failed to deliver.

Not a hope in hell of that happening, there are loads of independents in the ff/fg gene pool already far easier to deal with and history and small parties too which would be much preferable to some unknown loud mouth like shanahan. I find it crazy that this even considered, if you were Martin or leo, likes of him are the last people, that is, nowhere, not on their radar, nobodies, irratic, useless. Added to that as you say yourself, look at what halligan did for us even when he had some iota of responsibility.....sweet F A.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

JohnC. wrote: »
    Confirmed Halligan is retiring now.

Think he feels that there is a high chance that he would lose his seat if he ran. And he is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,876 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

BBM77 wrote: »
    Think he feels that there is a high chance that he would lose his seat if he ran. And he is correct.

yea id say he wouldnt have a hope of being reelected, probably time for him to go anyway, we really do need new blood in government

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

In opposition? Always tricky that. All I can say is that he seems to know his way round the Public Accounts Committ-ee. Doing well on that seems to be a good way into higher things but SF will need to somehow end up being more needed than not post election. I expect FF/FG will stitch things up between themselves again with no room for a genuine coalition with SF, Labour or whoever.

I admire your ethics Harry voting on the likes of the environment, public spending, worker welfare etc, however you are wise enough to know that none of that transfers into jobs and investment in Waterford which is what I vote on: the likelihood of a TD being able to secure jobs and investment near and into the future for Waterford.
    I agree those issues you said are important but with only 4 TDs and a local economy crying out for a fair share of the pie I'm supporting the potential delivery for Waterford. You said it yourself, it's more than likely ff/fg or whatever the poles say, Waterford needs a voice in that boat, or both boats to be sure. Sure I'd love to see real change, it is simply not on the cards though, most people vote like I do, delivery for my county is number 1.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    yea id say he wouldnt have a hope of being reelected, probably time for him to go anyway, we really do need new blood in government

Yes, he lost a lot of credibility when he stayed in government after 24 hour cardiac care was not being returned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭azimuth17

I listened to Matt Shanahan's interview with Damien Tiernan last night on WLR play back. He came across as articulate and knowledgeable. I think he will have appeal and do well now that John Halligan has retired and created an independent space. Its a very crowded field. I think Eddie Mulligan will outpoll Mary Butler in the city. David Cullinane will do well, but I also expect a strong challenge from the Green Party representative O'Cathasaigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Is John Cummins in with a shot?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Gardner

DLS_75 wrote: »
    We know what we’ll get from him, which is a lot of giving out.

I was a Matt fan but his behaviour this week has put me right off him.

well **** me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Gardner

Yes, he lost a lot of credibility when he stayed in government after 24 hour cardiac care was not being returned.

and what if he did pull out at the time? what would have happened? what would have it achieved? sweet **** all because Deasy would have being our sole government representative as the government wouldn't have folded.

Would we have a second cath lab being built (planning approved this week and tenders i believe have already been received from all Contractors with work due to commence within the next 2 to 3 months). As we are all sick and tired of saying you can't have 24/7 without 2 cath labs.

What about the Airport? All CPO's have been completed and planning is to be lodged next week with Construction to commence within months.

There is a lot of short sightedness going about on social media about what he has done and what he hasn't done. id say 99% of what he has done over his 30 years in politics has gone unnoticed. Best of luck to him, he has represented the people of Waterford and the South East and his governmental department with the best of his ability and endeavour. We are losing a politician that put his own personal safety on the line when fighting for human rights in recent referendums. it is stark contrast to Matt Shanahan who likes to call himself a health equality campaigner yet he voted against the health equality of woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Gael23 wrote: »

Potentially due to geography, but a weaker candidate than Coffey IMO.

• Advertisement

I think this mindset needs to be challenged. A small fish politician can come up to Dublin and bang tables all he or she likes, but empty vessels make the most noise, and that's the easy stuff. Plenty of them in the Dáil.

A much more difficult job is to remain in Government when you have to win some and lose some.

hardybuck wrote: »
    I think this mindset needs to be challenged. A small fish politician can come up to Dublin and bang tables all he or she likes, but empty vessels make the most noise, and that's the easy stuff. Plenty of them in the Dáil.

A much more difficult job is to remain in Government when you have to win some and lose some.

John Halligan went into government on the basis of 24 hour cardiac care was to be returned and he could not support a government that did not do that, his words not mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Crusty Blaa

Could be a dark horse although I think the majority of the city votes will go to Cullinane & Mulligan, Depends on how the likes of Tramore, Dunmore etc vote. I think any FG vote from Kilmeaden onwards goes to Geoghegan.

Could be a dark horse although I think the majority of the city votes will go to Cullinane & Mulligan, Depends on how the likes of Tramore, Dunmore etc vote. I think any FG vote from Kilmeaden onwards goes to Geoghegan.

The real challenge is the Deasy vote, it’s not all a Fine Gael vote so Geoghan can’t count on it. My hope is that Eddie Mulligan will split the FF vote and cost Butler her seat

John Halligan went into government on the basis of 24 hour cardiac care was to be returned and he could not support a government that did not do that, his works not mine.

Ok John. Thanks for articulating your 'demands'. However, it won't be possible at this time. The door is over there if you want to take it, hope you enjoy the back benches. However, if you want to stay in the room we might be able to work with you on other projects...

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Crusty Blaa

The real challenge is the Deasy vote, it’s not all a Fine Gael vote so Geoghan can’t count on it.

True and that's where Pratt could come into the running due to the geography. Apart from the 2016 election (Conway), Labour has always polled well in Waterford especially with transfers.

Ok John. Thanks for articulating your 'demands'. However, it won't be possible at this time. The door is over there if you want to take it, hope you enjoy the back benches. However, if you want to stay in the room we might be able to work with you on other projects...

I can only judge someone on their statements and actions. John Halligan’s actions did not match his statements. It was the 24 hour cardiac care issue that was the basis of his decision to enter government not other projects. If you say that you cannot support a government that will not return 24 hour cardiac care and it is not returned, that damages your credibility as far as I am concerned.

Would have liked to see him run and get crucified

Changing topic slightly, while challenges in Waterford definitely remain, I think the city and county have made huge strides in recent years.

There is definitely a risk of a future recession in the near future, but there are some important projects nearing commencement. Shovels going into the ground in Walsh Park, the airport and North Quays this year alone hopefully.

While people have a right to be angry at what happened, and ambitious about what happens next, but the place is a hell of a lot better than the really grim times experienced over the last 10-12 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

Changing topic slightly, while challenges in Waterford definitely remain, I think the city and county have made huge strides in recent years.

There is definitely a risk of a future recession in the near future, but there are some important projects nearing commencement. Shovels going into the ground in Walsh Park, the airport and North Quays this year alone hopefully.

While people have a right to be angry at what happened, and ambitious about what happens next, but the place is a hell of a lot better than the really grim times experienced over the last 10-12 years.

With me: no cranes = no votes - it's a simple as that.

• Advertisement

Dum_Dum wrote: »
    With me: no cranes = no votes - it's a simple as that.

So how many cranes for one vote?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

So how many cranes for one vote?

It's a metaphor for actual visible progress, as opposed to pipe-dreams and 'plans'.

Dum_Dum wrote: »
    It's a metaphor for actual visible progress, as opposed to pipe-dreams and 'plans'.

What's your take on visible progress that's been made, or do you feel that Waterford hasn't made any progress?

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

What's your take on visible progress that's been made, or do you feel that Waterford hasn't made any progress?

Luckily we don't have to rely on official government spin/press releases/carefully edited statistics or Maurice Cummin's strongly worded letters in the local press, we have impartial academic analysis to inform us;
    https://www.wit.ie/images/uploads/Business_School_PDF/South_East_Economic_Monitor_2019.pdf

- some things done, a lot still to do. Context is everything and in the context of the state investment our peer cities/regional capitals have received, over the 2 terms of this government, compared to Waterford, we're gotten S.F.A.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭crazy_kenny

Sinn Fein would be better off running a second candidate. David Cullinane will top the poll. Surely his surplus you’d imagine would go to the second Sinn Fein candidate.

Luckily we don't have to rely on official government spin/press releases/carefully edited statistics or Maurice Cummin's strongly worded letters in the local press, we have impartial academic analysis to inform us;
    https://www.wit.ie/images/uploads/Business_School_PDF/South_East_Economic_Monitor_2019.pdf

- some things done, a lot still to do. Context is everything and in the context of the state investment our peer cities/regional capitals have received, over the 2 terms of this government, compared to Waterford, we're gotten S.F.A.

With all the will in the world, the lads in WIT will do the very same thing as everyone else - they'll tell their version of the story. Lecturers are well able to take on work for lobbyists to influence Government policy, and regularly do.

With all the will in the world, the lads in WIT will do the very same thing as everyone else - they'll tell their version of the story. Lecturers are well able to take on work for lobbyists to influence Government policy, and regularly do.

Well I think they compile the data from official sources, so do you think the conclusions they draw are;
    a) inaccurate?
    b) biased?
    c) telling us in an academic format what the dogs in the street already know?

Well I think they compile the data from official sources, so do you think the conclusions they draw are;
    a) inaccurate?
    b) biased?
    c) telling us in an academic format what the dogs in the street already know?

I think they've chosen a few indicators, sourced some official data and put it into a bit of a summary for you.

Ray Griffin has been an outspoken critic of Government policy for some time, and has spoken passionately about what he perceives as a lack of political patronage in Waterford. That sort of thing doesn't lend itself to impartial reporting on the subject matter.

We could do comparative analysis until the dogs come home, but we could also reflect on the positive improvements that have been achieved.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Ray Griffin has been an outspoken critic of Government policy for some time, and has spoken passionately about what he perceives as a lack of political patronage in Waterford. That sort of thing doesn't lend itself to impartial reporting on the subject matter.

If you are suggesting that Ray Griffin's analysis, which is entirely based on government stats AFAIK, is biased, then you had better declare your political allegiance. The SEEM analysis is professional, balanced and almost solely criticised by government hangers on and apologists. Which of them are you?

• Advertisement

I think they've chosen a few indicators, sourced some official data and put it into a bit of a summary for you.

We could do comparative analysis until the dogs come home, but we could also reflect on the positive improvements that have been achieved.

I think we should do comparative analysis until the dogs come home, until our ducks are lined up in a row and until we hit the nail on the head. We are where we are and the present government will keep kicking the can down the road until their chickens come home to roost.
    But I'm not one for trite cliches.

Advertisement