Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

theballz wrote: »
    The only difference is he's irish and a tasteless knacker at that.

Aren't most MMA stars tasteless?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Effects wrote: »
    Aren't most MMA stars tasteless?

Not really , in recent years because of McGregor success a lot have tried to create a persona but that's just for cash so you can't blame them

If you think about it most of the US star nearly all of them with a wrestling back ground are lads who have been through college and are well educated ,

I heard some speaking about Colby Covington recently and said when they meet him what we see is not anything like the real guy,
    He was close to being cut and made up a persona that is nothing like the him and since it worked so well for him he won't break character at all when camera's are around but he is playing a character and not really like that at all ,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Not really , in recent years because of McGregor success a lot have tried to create a persona but that's just for cash so you can't blame them

If you think about it most of the US star nearly all of them with a wrestling back ground are lads who have been through college and are well educated ,

I heard some speaking about Colby Covington recently and said when they meet him what we see is not anything like the real guy,
    He was close to being cut and made up a persona that is nothing like the him and since it worked so well for him he won't break character at all when camera's are around but he is playing a character and not really like that at all ,

Spot on about Colby, he's gonna drop the act when he wins the belt on Saturday id say.

If he wins the belt he'll keep the gimmick going. What's he going to do, go back to the boring Colby they were going to drop?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Effects wrote: »
    If he wins the belt he'll keep the gimmick going. What's he going to do, go back to the boring Colby they were going to drop?

I wouldn't be so sure. From this alone he's already said he's toned it back a bit. What will they do if he drops the gimmick while he's champ? They can hardly cut him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

ASOT wrote: »
    I wouldn't be so sure. From this alone he's already said he's toned it back a bit. What will they do if he drops the gimmick while he's champ? They can hardly cut him.

Ladies and Gentlemen we are proud to announce one of the biggest trades in sports entertainment history, Colby Covington has been traded to OneFC in a deal that see's Sage Northcutt retrun to the UFC

• Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Ya know watching that interview you can tell he feels stupid in that hat and suit, he's a fairly quiet guy in reality.
    If he was looking for a persona he could of done the Mr America type guy with his strong military family background.
    You can't argue against his decisions though, he went from getting cut to headlining one of the biggest PPV of the year for the WW title. He's also a excellent fighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Assume at this point that January fight it not happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

mloc123 wrote: »
    Assume at this point that January fight it not happening?
    Why?

Was it not pretty much confirmed to be in Jan at 170lbs?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Why?

Was it not pretty much confirmed to be in Jan at 170lbs?

Sorry, completely missed that. Last time I checked in it was all still unconfirmed. Did they officially announce?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

For an event that's 5 and a half weeks away it seems fairly quiet.

mloc123 wrote: »
    Sorry, completely missed that. Last time I checked in it was all still unconfirmed. Did they officially announce?

https://www.instagram.com/p/B5bO0zJn1CB/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

They still haven't advertised tickets or done much else in terms of build up.
    I'm in Vegas that weekend anyway so aiming to go if tickets are available

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

site_owner wrote: »

Same as myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭fitzparker

UFC still haven't officially announced. I presume they are waiting to do it this weekend, can't be any later.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭rob316

fitzparker wrote: »
    UFC still haven't officially announced. I presume they are waiting to do it this weekend, can't be any later.

The president of the company said it's official what more do you need?

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

rob316 wrote: »

LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

At the very LEAST, a generic graphic on social media posted by @UFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,158 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

site_owner wrote: »

Venue has changed. Mcgregor vs Cowboy UFC 246 will now take place in Crumlin boxing club and the after party will be in Red Cow followed by Sunday morning drinks in Marble Arch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭fitzparker

rob316 wrote: »

An official announcement from said company would be more believable than dana. https://www.ufc.com/events

I get its defo happening but what is the delay? unless they are waiting for the weekend to announce, either that or still have to finalise some of conor's legal issues trying to get into the country?

(Phone and bus incident)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

fitzparker wrote: »
    An official announcement from said company would be more believable than dana. https://www.ufc.com/events

I get its defo happening but what is the delay? unless they are waiting for the weekend to announce, either that or still have to finalise some of conor's legal issues trying to get into the country?

(Phone and bus incident)

They have an event on Saturday night with 3 belts on the line. I reckon they don't want to official announce the McGregor event until after/during it so that they don't over-shadow that. If the announce it Saturday night they still have just over a month to hype and sell the McGregor event which should be more than enough time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,544 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

They have an event on Saturday night with 3 belts on the line. I reckon they don't want to official announce the McGregor event until after/during it so that they don't over-shadow that. If the announce it Saturday night they still have just over a month to hype and sell the McGregor event which should be more than enough time.

They may announce it after the weigh ins this week. They've done that before. Helps promote the weekend PPV.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Ah come on lads ye used be on here before saying mcgregor won't fight unless there's a 4 month media tour, build up, promotion of the fight. Now it's perfectly normal for it to be 5 weeks out and no official announcement or poster haha. This place is mental

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

dave1982 wrote: »
    Ah come on lads ye used be on here before saying mcgregor won't fight unless there's a 4 month media tour, build up, promotion of the fight. Now it's perfectly normal for it to be 5 weeks out and no official announcement or poster haha. This place is mental

The only time I heard anything like that was when there was rumours of McGregor stepping in as a replacement for an event where most if not all the tickets had been sold already. They charge a lot more for tickets to McGregor events, by having him as a late replacement they would be losing millions. In this case, the tickets haven't been sold yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,158 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I got Colby, Holloway and Nunes this wknd. Somebody needs to start a thread for this event it’s one of the best of the year. I’m too busy to start it and my secretary called in sick today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

I got Colby, Holloway and Nunes this wknd. Somebody needs to start a thread for this event it’s one of the best of the year. I’m too busy to start it and my secretary called in sick today.

you mean you

• Registered Users Posts: 37,703 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

dave1982 wrote:
    This is a comeback fight, it's not a title fight. It'll sell big but no chance it gets near the levels of his last six or so fights.
    It doesn't need that long because it won't appeal to the wider audience outside of McGregor and Cowboy fans. That's still a big pay per view BTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Dana says Khabib next up for McGregor, if he gets through Cowboy... Gaethje not happy

Dana says...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Dana says Khabib next up for McGregor, if he gets through Cowboy... Gaethje not happy

Dana says...
    I doubt Tony is either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

I'd say Dana is simply thinking, even if McGregor and Khabib lose their respective fights, he'll still go ahead and make the match-up and make $$$. Which is true, of course - likely still biggest event next year.

Advertisement