Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,527 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Gamb!t wrote:
    I doubt Tony is either.
    Easy Tony vs Gaethge, winner faces winner of Khabib vs Conor.
    Tony gets the Goat title for beating Khabib twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Gamb!t wrote: »
    I doubt Tony is either.
    Why would Tony care, he's fighting him in April, barring any mishaps/injuries/tiramisu/cables

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

I'm not a big fan of McGregor anymore but I was just watching the chael Sonnel YouTube video called "is the old Connor back" he makes some really good points like why isn't their more videos of Conor doing crazy ****. There's a few but with his popularity media outlets would pay top dollar for his stuff and there doesn't seem to be that much to be fair. And his mot is still with him even though she could leave with plenty of Dosh.

Anyway it just got me thinking if he did beat khabib how amazing it would be. Like or loath his personality our irishness kicks in and it would be the greatest sporting moment of all time. I hope to god he has his act together and can make us proud again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,729 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

The greatest sporting moment of All time? Are you taking the pjss??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭Still Ill

iamtony wrote: »
    I hope to god he has his act together and can make us proud again.

I'd imagine that ship has sailed for quite a lot of people at this stage.

• Advertisement

Still Ill wrote: »
    I'd imagine that ship has sailed for quite a lot of people at this stage.

Easy to say now but if he won that fight it would change everything for a lot of people. Rightly or wrongly. People are easily swayed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

eagle eye wrote: »
    Easy Tony vs Gaethge, winner faces winner of Khabib vs Conor.
    Tony gets the Goat title for beating Khabib twice.

So conor gets to half ass his "return" by not cutting weigh, fighting against a journey man who is unranked at 155 and 170, but gets to jump the queue?

Nah.

Earn a title fight.

Justin and several others are far, far ahead of him in the pecking order right now.

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    The greatest sporting moment of All time? Are you taking the pjss??

No. It's the perfect story. Young guy rises to fame and glory. Starts acting the goat. Get schooled for his lack of motivation and distraction from his new found wealth. Goes oldschool and becomes humble again and rises back to the top. Its the story people love

Gaethje has lost to the two decent fighters he has fought, one of which is currently 2-3 in his last five fights. McGregor would flatten him.

I'm surprised I didn't see me own name looking at his record. He's a joker.

Gaethje has lost to the two decent fighters he has fought, one of which is currently 2-3 in his last five fights. McGregor would flatten him.

I'm surprised I didn't see me own name looking at his record. He's a joker.

Conor tapped in 2 of his last 4.

Stop.

• Advertisement

Conor tapped in 2 of his last 4.

Stop.

What relevance has that?

When's the last time Gaethje has tapped someone out?

What relevance has that?

When's the last time Gaethje has tapped someone out?

When was the last time he quit?

The answer is never.

He lost 2 of his last 5 fights.

Conor lost 2 or his last 4.

The man difference is JG never quit.

JG is 21-2, Conor is 21-4.

The answer is never.

yeah your right but instead of tapping out he should be been choked out and risked brain damage or death or whatever. When your beat your beat no point in fighting it. If your playing chess and you can't win you don't keep playing just so you don't quit. Ridiculous argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

I'm not a big fan of McGregor anymore but I was just watching the chael Sonnel YouTube video called "is the old Connor back" he makes some really good points like why isn't their more videos of Conor doing crazy ****. There's a few but with his popularity media outlets would pay top dollar for his stuff and there doesn't seem to be that much to be fair. And his mot is still with him even though she could leave with plenty of Dosh.

Anyway it just got me thinking if he did beat khabib how amazing it would be. Like or loath his personality our irishness kicks in and it would be the greatest sporting moment of all time. I hope to god he has his act together and can make us proud again.

Is Conor back? Then spends ten minutes telling us how good Stipe Miocic is. Chael has the gift of saying a lot without saying anything, an I still listen to every clip

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

So conor gets to half ass his "return" by not cutting weigh, fighting against a journey man who is unranked at 155 and 170, but gets to jump the queue?

Nah.

Earn a title fight.

Justin and several others are far, far ahead of him in the pecking order right now.

Earn a title fight? By whose rules man? The ufc is a monopoly. What dana says goes. Rankings out the window
    And dana generally gives what the fans wants and he aint wrong too often.
    Conor wins...its title fight time baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭joeguevara

At the end of the day all the talk and Conor bashing is just hot air and good for column inches and nothing else. Exactly the same as pretty much every boxer who said that Joshua was finished and would be beaten by Ruiz in the rematch. Comments about being emotionally broken and spirit being punched out were bandied about as if gospel. But the only thing that matters is in the ring.

Let's see what happens. If he loses then that's it. If win (which I expect) the train is back on.

Fighters have to break if they want to go again. But they need to grab it. No more taking for granted.

Source: Rocky 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

The answer is never.

JG is 21-2 against a far weaker field of fighters than Conor's 21-4. Also what's with this quit/never quit nonsense? A loss is a loss regardless. And KO losses are far more devastating than tapping losses.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Why would Tony care, he's fighting him in April, barring any mishaps/injuries/tiramisu/cables

Openly matching up future title fights is implies Tony is going to lose to Khabib.
    And while it's likely true, it should be obvious why it would annoy Tony.

Unranked at 155?? Who are you talking about? As it's not Cowboy.
    The answer is never.
    They are both top lightweights.
    Gaethje deserves a title shot.

Nobody with any clue argues either of those points.
    Whenever Conor is ration opinion descends in fanboy/hater nonsense extremes. Premier league mentality.

Don't lower yourself to that level with the "But he tapped" stuff. Come on, you do jiu jitsu, you know better.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I seen an ad for the Jon Jones card on Instagram earlier. It didn't refer to it as UFC 247. It could be an old image that they haven't bothered changing but maybe they are still uncertain about the January event being 246.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭monty_python

I seen an ad for the Jon Jones card on Instagram earlier. It didn't refer to it as UFC 247. It could be an old image that they haven't bothered changing but maybe they are still uncertain about the January event being 246.

I seen another 1 saying McGregor and kabib will be at the same presser tomorrow, surly it's fake?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

No. It's the perfect story. Young guy rises to fame and glory. Starts acting the goat. Get schooled for his lack of motivation and distraction from his new found wealth. Goes oldschool and becomes humble again and rises back to the top. Its the story people love

Featuring punched oul fella in the head!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

yeah your right but instead of tapping out he should be been choked out and risked brain damage or death or whatever

Very slim chance of that happening, you'll usually just take a nap.
    The Khabib one though, was tap or have his jaw broken.
    Mellor wrote: »
    Openly matching up future title fights is implies Tony is going to lose to Khabib.
    And while it's likely true, it should be obvious why it would annoy Tony.

I could see it annoying him if he didn't already have a fight lined up with Khabib.
    The fact he does, means he shouldn't give a toss at the mo, compared to the other fighters Conor would be leap frogging.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Tazzimus wrote: »
    I could see it annoying him if he didn't already have a fight lined up with Khabib.
    The fact he does, means he shouldn't give a toss at the mo, compared to the other fighters Conor would be leap frogging.
    Nothing to do with Conor jumping. It would apply if they were pre-booking Gaethje v Khabib.

Tony has his shot booked. But he hasn’t lost yet. From his view, we should be talking about Conor/Gaethje vrs the Winner - not vrs Khabib as if it’s a done deal.

At least that’s what I took the comment to be getting at.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,729 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Id hardly call keeping your head down and driving to training in a Range Rover, in between court dates for hitting an old man etc as becoming humble and rising to the top.

Id hardly call keeping your head down and driving to training in a Range Rover, in between court dates for hitting an old man etc as becoming humble and rising to the top.

That only cause it's not snowing as soon as it does he will be out with the log on his shoulders:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Are you suggesting he takes a different mode of transport?

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

I delivered some equipment to his house about a week ago, the range rovers are easily the least stated of his fleet of cars in the driveway

Never seen it from this angle, beauty. His timing is impeccable. In the alvarez fight too. Then spent a year boxing so his striking has probably improved. We never got to see any of it against khabib. Cowboy wont last 60 seconds I'm sure of it

https://twitter.com/Maclifeofficial/status/1205131966271623168?s=09

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

US2 wrote: »
    His timing is impeccable. In the alvarez fight too. Then spent a year boxing so his striking has probably improved. We never got to see any of it against khabib.

So your point is that it doesn't really matter how good your boxing is, or how much improved you are, if you aren't as good as the fighter opposite you in the cage.

• Advertisement

Effects wrote: »
    So your point is that it doesn't really matter how good your boxing is, or how much improved you are, if you aren't as good as the fighter opposite you in the cage.

What?

Advertisement