Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Hair transplant diary (ongoing)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Michaela Deep Igloo

Don't think so mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

iebamm2580 wrote:
    Probably a stupid question but can you claim any money back from a hair transplant?

fill out a MED5 and see :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

quick google answered my question il delete the above

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭boetstark

Hi folks. Went to Dr Yavuz in Istanbul on March 15th. 3750 grafts for 1900 EUR including 2 nights hotel.
    He is new on the scene but 14 years experience in private hospital. Lovely guy and staff and clinic excellent. I am now at 3 month stage and things look promising. I was a norwood 5 with no hairline and large bald patch on top. I have attached a before photo also.
    I would totally recommend this doctor as he is very careful re overharvesting donor area and also creates a natural hairline. I would totally advise anybody who is thinking about a hair transplant to just go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭ Desmond Full Conduit

Roughly how long did you all take off of work etc for this? I would only be going for 500-1000 grafts, and would be a Norwood 1. I was thinking that it wouldn't be noticeable at all if I was able to leave my hair at its current length.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,635 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

boetstark wrote: »
    Hi folks. Went to Dr Yavuz in Istanbul on March 15th. 3750 grafts for 1900 EUR including 2 nights hotel.
    He is new on the scene but 14 years experience in private hospital. Lovely guy and staff and clinic excellent. I am now at 3 month stage and things look promising. I was a norwood 5 with no hairline and large bald patch on top. I have attached a before photo also.
    I would totally recommend this doctor as he is very careful re overharvesting donor area and also creates a natural hairline. I would totally advise anybody who is thinking about a hair transplant to just go for it.

Be interesting to see where you are in a few months, ive a similar hairline and I've been told I'm a lost cause!

Be interesting to see where you are in a few months, ive a similar hairline and I've been told I'm a lost cause!

Recent photos

boetstark wrote:
    Recent photos

looks really good I'm jealous!

Recent photos

The shaved look suited you, but that's an incredible result, you must be delighted!

Looks very good man, im at just over 2 months and think some of the new hair is starting to grow in now.

• Advertisement

Really happy with results to date guys. I am currently on 3rd month of growth and advised that final results will be seen after 12 months.
    Being a non smoker seemingly is a big advantage

iebamm2580 wrote: »
    Looks very good man, im at just over 2 months and think some of the new hair is starting to grow in now.

That's a good sign.
    I lost all transplant hair from shock loss. But approximately 11 weeks i felt slight stubble. It really started to grow from then onwards.
    Best of luck

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shane732

I’m looking at doing something on my own situation.

I’ve attended HRBR for a number of years and have managed to hold on to my own for the last 10 years. Unfortunately I’m experiencing some thinning and receding at the moment.

Is the difference between HRBR and other options purely price? Or is there another reason for people looking elsewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,045 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Shane732 wrote: »
    I’m looking at doing something on my own situation.

I’ve attended HRBR for a number of years and have managed to hold on to my own for the last 10 years. Unfortunately I’m experiencing some thinning and receding at the moment.

Is the difference between HRBR and other options purely price? Or is there another reason for people looking elsewhere?

By attend HRBR do you mean prescribed propecia ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭Passenger

Dr Andre Nel in Malahide is cheaper and about as good as you can get in terms of skill. I had a hair transplant with him 2 months ago.

Pics of his work would be nice if you have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

By attend HRBR do you mean prescribed propecia ?
    HRBR - Hair Restoration Blackrock

Does anybody have any negative stories around FUE transplants? I'm fairly set on it in the next 18 months, but my main worry is that I won't be able to shave my head in future due to scarring on the donor area.

Does anybody have any negative stories around FUE transplants? I'm fairly set on it in the next 18 months, but my main worry is that I won't be able to shave my head in future due to scarring on the donor area.

Main concern regarding fue is Over harvesting of grafts. Reputable surgeons wont promise you unlimited graft numbers. I believe for average guy with a thick growth on donor area is 3500 to max 4000.
    I got 3850 and not one single mark on my scalp. Definitely go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 paulinhio

No, taking Fin is not a requirement in order to get a hair transplant but it is encouraged in most cases, especially in younger patients, in order to slow further loss. An additional reason that a hair transplant doctor may encourage its use is that if taken for a period prior to the transplant sufficiently long for the drug to take effect, if the patient is an excellent responder it may reduce the amount of grafts required for an acceptable result, or encourage the doctor to be more aggressive with placement knowing that the patient responds well to the drug or even, to be more cynical, simply because if taken at the time of the transplant will add to the perception of a successful result.

Note however that the efficacy of the drug tends to decrease over the years with time, so any expectation that Fin plus hair transplant means sorted for life is a misguided one.

I see that you take Saw Palmetto which is a DHT inhibitor like Fin, if you are worried about taking Fin, asking yourself why you don't feel the same about Saw Palmetto would be worthwhile in my opinion.

Just FYI one of the top clinics in the world were providing their patients with topical fin, https://hassonandwong.com/topical-finasteride-solution-prescription/ with a view to minimizing side effects but I have no knowledge of how successful it is in that regard and whether it is as effective as normal Fin wrt to slowing hair loss

Transplanted hair itself is not necessarily immune to MPB. Youre reliant on the doctor accurately determing the safe zone from which to extract donor hair but they cannot predict with 100% certainty the extent of your safe zone in say 20 years time, but top doctors should be able to minimiize these risks, which obviously are higher with FUE than FUT. Another, probably less likely possibility is, if your hairloss is more diffuse in nature then donor hair from within the safe zone may later miniaturise, but again hopefully top doctors would be able to recognize/predict this

With respect to getting a hair transplant and choosing a doctor, this is an absolute minefield in my opinion and even in 2018 getting a hair transplant is still a very big gamble for many reasons, not least achiveing a good result initially is not guranteed and even if a good result is achieved how will it look 10 years later? Will you have sufficient donor hair/cash etc. for further work if needed?

I'll try to reply with more information in a later post if you're interested but for now, with respect, I suspect that based on your questions you have a significant amount of research to do before deciding to go ahead with a transplant. Just my opinion, I mean no offence, it's just that you really do not want to rush into this and make some bad decisions that can have life long consequences

Hi,

I'm currently looking into Turkey for HT in next few weeks. You're right - it's such a bloody minefield (researching on the internet) - between potentially fake reviews and vested interests etc.
    I come away from hours of browsing, being none the wiser! I just want someone I can trust to say 'I used this guy and I can wholeheartedly recommend him'. The OP here seems to have gotten a really good result - but I don't think he's named the Doc has he? And, my hair is a lot different to his. And, I'm not intending to use fin or anything like that. So, perhaps my results wouldn't be as impressive..
    I have a few Docs names jotted down;
    Dr. Karadeniz
    Dr. Doganay
    Dr. Erdogan
    Dr. Kesser
    KSL Clinic
    (Not sure the above would all be in my price range though). Only one I've contacted so far is Karadeniz and his assistant or representative or whatever has been back to me quoting €3k 5000 HAIRS (Yeah, it's a bit confusing - she's saying around 2000 grafts should yield 5000 hairs). Her English is a bit sketchy, so that's not inspiring me with confidence - along with a few dodgy reviews I've seen (but can't tell if they're genuine!). The €3k is the 'premium package' meaning he'll personally do the recipient incisions. I'd be very happy to pay that if I knew he wasn't one of these dodgy mill/factory type practices.

Would you, Gentleman Off The Pitch, have any advice? Just, you seem knowledgeable and dare I say it, trustworthy!

Main concern regarding fue is Over harvesting of grafts. Reputable surgeons wont promise you unlimited graft numbers. I believe for average guy with a thick growth on donor area is 3500 to max 4000.

boetstark, fair play you've gotten excellent results so I'm gonna consider your Dr. Yavuz too! That other list of Docs I just posted was who Joe Tillman said should only be considered in Turkey. And I've seen other 'experts' on the interweb saying by paying around €1800/€2000, you won't get a good job. But, congrats - your hair looks great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Heiser

paulinhio wrote: »

boetstark, fair play you've gotten excellent results so I'm gonna consider your Dr. Yavuz too! That other list of Docs I just posted was who Joe Tillman said should only be considered in Turkey. And I've seen other 'experts' on the interweb saying by paying around €1800/€2000, you won't get a good job. But, congrats - your hair looks great.

I paid just over 2k in Turkey and am at the 6 month mark. The results have exceeded my expectations and I've still got months of growth ahead. Will post some photos tomorrow. I went to Dr Cinik. It is a hair mill but he did the incisions himself and as I said it looks great.

I have 4000 graphs, 3200 from my head and 800 from my beard.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Heiser

How do I post photos from my phone?

Heiser wrote: »
    How do I post photos from my phone?

Fair play Heiser.
    I think when you press REPLY you should see an ATTACH FILES button underneath the speech box.

The surgeon I went to charged €2 per graft for an FUE procedure. For comparison, a popular clinic in Dublin charges €10 per graft.

So I paid for 2250 grafts, and I had a small discount (I think it was €200-300) for the post-op photos they took immediately after the procedure. In total it was about €4250 or so.

Nice job.
    Who was the doc? Erdogan?

• Site Banned Posts: 66 ✭✭Annurca Apples

It seems we have a side affect free alternative to finasteride.

A study was performed which showed remarkable regrowth among participants taking capsules of annurca apple extract over a period of 60 days. Can't post links, google annurca apple study.

load of bollix, tried that ****, waste of time.

load of bollix, tried that ****, waste of time.

You tried annurmets?

Yeah bought from italy last year, reviews on hairloss boards not positive nor was my experience.

A study was performed which showed remarkable regrowth among participants taking capsules of annurca apple extract over a period of 60 days. Can't post links, google annurca apple study.

advertising

• Advertisement

Yeah bought from italy last year, reviews on hairloss boards not positive nor was my experience.

The reviews I read on immortal hair and an Italian forum were positive. I'll try for myself and find out.

Advertisement