Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Hair transplant diary (ongoing)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,045 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Probably one in a hundred get side effects.... worth the risk ?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Patient11

Probably one in a hundred get side effects.... worth the risk ?

It's russian roulette.

Some people can take the drug for years or even decades without problems and then they "crash" and they are never the same again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Cartroubles

Have any completely bald people gotten decent results from hair transplants?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,303 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

You need hair to transplant of course, but yes you can be almost bald and transplant hair
    Look at his case.

https://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/threads/my-5300-fue-turkey-7-months-since-op.104538/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,774 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

There's a certain level of baldness (like Larry David) where it's just not possible, as there wouldn't be enough grafts from the donor area to cover the recipient area (rest of head). Also, the natural thickness of your hair will dictate how effective your results will be. My op was 2250 grafts (my hair is naturally quite thin) and I was told that I have 2000 viable grafts left. So that's just 4250 grafts maximum, that I could spread over likely two ops. For someone on the furthest end of the Norwood scale, you'd need at least 6,000 grafts.

• Advertisement

Any rogaine users here ? Going to start it next week... it will feel good doing something about my slowly dieing hair.... do people get good results ? Do they sell it in boots ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

Anybody here go to Dr Andre Nel, he done kerry footballer Darren o Sullivan's hair which looks likes a very decent result and he trained with alot of the the most renowned hair loss surgeons worldwide.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭Passenger

Any rogaine users here ? Going to start it next week... it will feel good doing something about my slowly dieing hair.... do people get good results ? Do they sell it in boots ?

It's effects are marginal to be honest. I experienced zero regrowth but it slowed down the rate of hairloss ever so slightly. Overall, not worth the money and effort imho. It's worth a try just to say you've tried it but buy from the UK Boots store and use Parcel Motel to ship as it's much better value.

Passenger wrote: »
    It's effects are marginal to be honest. I experienced zero regrowth but it slowed down the rate of hairloss ever so slightly. Overall, not worth the money and effort imho. It's worth a try just to say you've tried it but buy from the UK Boots store and use Parcel Motel to ship as it's much better value.

Did you experience much of a shed when you initially used it ? Apparently that is how you know it is working

• Registered Users Posts: 18,823 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

iebamm2580 wrote: »
    Anybody here go to Dr Andre Nel, he done kerry footballer Darren o Sullivan's hair which looks likes a very decent result and he trained with alot of the the most renowned hair loss surgeons worldwide.

I've been to him 3 or 4 times, when he prescribed finasteride, recommended a brand of shampoo, some light therapy and one of those rollers for your scalp.

He said combined, they are the best non-surgical solutions for hairloss.

He then offered the pigmentation procedure.

He did offer an operation but I did not follow up on the latter two.

He struck me as a nice guy and not heavy on the sales end of things.

• Advertisement

everlast75 wrote: »
    I've been to him 3 or 4 times, when he prescribed finasteride, recommended a brand of shampoo, some light therapy and one of those rollers for your scalp.

He said combined, they are the best non-surgical solutions for hairloss.

He then offered the pigmentation procedure.

He did offer an operation but I did not follow up on the latter two.

He struck me as a nice guy and not heavy on the sales end of things.

What was the shampoo that he recommended ? Did you have any side effects from the finasteride ?

What was the shampoo that he recommended ? Did you have any side effects from the finasteride ?

Can't remember the shampoo! I picked up that German one - with caffeine in it?

Zero side effects from finasteride for over 3 years. But I've stopped using it in the last few months. What I had read on the internet convinced me to.

I decided to check out up north to see if I could get a better deal than Ailesbury who quoted €4k for up to 3000 hairs in Zone A. Ailesbutry will also include a free density session in ten months time if more is needed.

So I contacted Vinci Hair Clinic. Their price was £3.5k for 1500 grafts.

Vinci concurred with the Ailesbury assessment which was that Zone B and C would not be suitable for transplant. The hair density doesn't permit it and to carry out an operation there may lead to shock and loss of hair.

The question I have to consider is whether it is worth my while fixing the front third whilst leaving the back 2 thirds lighter..

Can't remember the shampoo! I picked up that German one - with caffeine in it?

Zero side effects from finasteride for over 3 years. But I've stopped using it in the last few months. What I had read on the internet convinced me to.

Yeah I know that one with the caffeine... found it dryed my hair out too much. Did the Finasteride work for you tomaintain/regrowth ? I have read about potential side effects... some scary stuff there definitely

Yeah I know that one with the caffeine... found it dryed my hair out too much. Did the Finasteride work for you tomaintain/regrowth ? I have read about potential side effects... some scary stuff there definitely

I found it did thicken the hair. He had photos of when I used it and when I did not.

Yep - wasn't worth it on balance. You can get the pigmentation treatment. Costs about €1000. Gives the impression of higher density hair.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭Passenger

Did you experience much of a shed when you initially used it ? Apparently that is how you know it is working

There was no shedding for me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Heiser

I decided to check out up north to see if I could get a better deal than Ailesbury who quoted €4k for up to 3000 hairs in Zone A. Ailesbutry will also include a free density session in ten months time if more is needed.

So I contacted Vinci Hair Clinic. Their price was £3.5k for 1500 grafts.

Vinci concurred with the Ailesbury assessment which was that Zone B and C would not be suitable for transplant. The hair density doesn't permit it and to carry out an operation there may lead to shock and loss of hair.

The question I have to consider is whether it is worth my while fixing the front third whilst leaving the back 2 thirds lighter..

Shock loss hair grows back

There is a podcast called “the bald truth” on iTunes if anybody wants some good information on hair transplants and Finasteride.

There is a podcast called “the bald truth” on iTunes if anybody wants some good information on hair transplants and Finasteride.

I would take anything they say with a large grain of salt.

They promote name brand Propecia which costs many times more than generic Finasteride.

That alone is a major red flag.

They have also denied that they are stuides that show that Finasteride causes long term damage.

I can only imagine the show must be sponsored by Merck.

The show is like one big advertisement for Propecia.

https://www.pfsfoundation.org/publications/

Patient11 wrote: »
    I would take anything they say with a large grain of salt.

They promote name brand Propecia which costs many times more than generic Finasteride.

That alone is a major red flag.

They have also denied that they are stuides that show that Finasteride causes long term damage.

I can only imagine the show must be sponsored by Merck.

The show is like one big advertisement for Propecia.

https://www.pfsfoundation.org/publications/

mmm.... I have found the podcast to be fairly balanced. They don't overly encourage transplants, they talk about the risks and the amount of bad surgeons out there. ... With Finasteride they say it is highly effective but that are potential side effects... and its a risk/reward situation.

They did say there is no clinical study that shows that there is long term side effects use from Finasteride......this seems to be a big point of contention in the industry. They have a lot of people call in to the show with mild side effects that apparently go away when they discontinue the drug.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 paulinhio

Patient11 wrote: »
    Apart from being a rip off the only thing HRBR are good at is PR.

One of Ireland's most respected Doctor's Andrew Rynne is on record of saying that he is "ashamed" to have the owner of HRBR as a colleague and believes that he is "a disgrace to medical profession".

Before you go to HRBR you should ask Dr. Andrew Rynne what he thinks of the owner of the clinic.

HRBR are obviously rip-off merchants doing well off the southside set who wouldn't know if a pint of milk cost €1 or €10, but I wouldn't go to Andrew Rynne for his opinion on that or anything else. His pots are gone. DO NOT let him near your privates.

mmm.... I have found the podcast to be fairly balanced. They don't overly encourage transplants, they talk about the risks and the amount of bad surgeons out there. ... With Finasteride they say it is highly effective but that are potential side effects... and its a risk/reward situation.

They did say there is no clinical study that shows that there is long term side effects use from Finasteride......this seems to be a big point of contention in the industry. They have a lot of people call in to the show with mild side effects that apparently go away when they discontinue the drug.

They are not balanced at all they promote the likes of Dr Alan Bauman who has butchered people and left them with hair transplants that so bad all you can see is the scarring.

Bauman should not even be working as a surgeon never mind being recommened as one of the "top hair transplant docs".

Everything they say about how "corrupt" things are in the hair loss industry they are themselves.

Spex is even getting sued now after trying to pass himself off as a "medical consultant".
    He has also been linked to a Doctor who was selling Finasteride illegally.
    After the Doctor was sentenced Spex tried to claim he was "shocked" that the Doctor was illegally importing Finasteride from India.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/disgraced-doctor-who-made-150000-7031931

https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/topic/37334-wwwukfinasterideinfo-closed/?tab=comments#comment-404197

It seems with hair loss every source of information is contradicted by another source....some doctors might ruin your head... some drugs might ruin your body.... or the opposite....

This is so random, but I just got on a flight and that main doctor/spokesman from HRBR is sitting across from me... very loud jacket and he went for a very unsubtle nose picking

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

This is so random, but I just got on a flight and that main doctor/spokesman from HRBR is sitting across from me... very loud jacket and he went for a very unsubtle nose picking

Will he do the transplant on the flight ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 M1JD

Hi . I am at the stage where ready to take the plunge with a FUE hair Transplant . I’ve been in touch with a few company’s in turkey, Budapest, Ireland, Uk . . There’s lots of contradictions and hard to know who to trust. Turkey looks like the most affordable option. There’s also quite a difference in grafts I’ve been recommended I need . One clinic said around 3000 while another said 4,800. One said it could be done in one operation another said it couldn’t.It’s a very big step so was hoping that someone who has actually had a successful transplant could advise me from their experience and recommend a good clinic or doctor?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3 M1JD

Looks great . Where did you get it done . What was cost? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭boetstark

Hi folks. I am in the process of getting an fue hair transplant in Istanbul next month
    I have narrowed it down to two clinics. Esthetic hair at medical park hospital istanbul or natural hair Turkey in Istanbul. Both are promising 4500 grafts but they are criticising each other.
    I am now confused. If anybody has any opinions or info on either of the above or Turkey in general I would be very grateful.

boetstark wrote: »
    Hi folks. I am in the process of getting an fue hair transplant in Istanbul next month
    I have narrowed it down to two clinics. Esthetic hair at medical park hospital istanbul or natural hair Turkey in Istanbul. Both are promising 4500 grafts but they are criticising each other.
    I am now confused. If anybody has any opinions or info on either of the above or Turkey in general I would be very grateful.

what are they criticising each other about ?

• Advertisement

also...are you choosing a Turkish clinic over an Irish one because of the price factor ?

Advertisement