Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Hair transplant diary (ongoing)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

yeah man i stayed in malahide grand hotel the thurs night went to him at 7pm to get incisions done and back in 7am friday until 7pm and 2 minute walk to hotel with the bandage and cap on and back in saturday morning for the check up and home by 11am that morning, i live down the country thats why i had to stay in hotel. Think he is one of the few who do the incisions the night before.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Trek Man

Aylesbury transplant the hair and not the graft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭ Desmond Full Conduit

Trek Man wrote: »
    Aylesbury transplant the hair and not the graft.

As in not only do they count differently (e.g. 4000 hairs instead of ~2000 grafts), but they also perform the surgery on a different manner where each graft is a single hair?

As in not only do they count differently (e.g. 4000 hairs instead of ~2000 grafts), but they also perform the surgery on a different manner where each graft is a single hair?

Single hairs are only meant be to be used in the hairline to give natural look and double and triple hairs behind to add density.

Sorry I don't agree. Grafts should be placed all over the head. You would need alot of single hairs to cover the front area if it's bald. Transplant by the graft is the only way for a natural looking hairline.

• Advertisement

Im just going by what my surgeon said and is the general consensus online, single hair grafts give more natural appearance for the hairline im talking about and not the pluggy look that say Brian McFadden seems to have done almost like a doll. 2/3/4 hair grafts are used to add density behind the hairline so im told. Single hair grafts im talking about for just the hairline.

You would need thousands of single hairs for full coverage, and even then you still see the scalp.Personally I think transplanting by the graft is the only way. Any of the big clinics in Ireland HRBR etc transplant all areas by the graft.

Think we are misunderstanding each other man, i do mean transplant by graft but grafts can have1-4 hair per graft and its recommended to use single hair grafts for the hairline. Most of the grafts will contain2-3 hairs even 4 which add desnity,.

aielesbury apparently transplant by the hair which i dont agree with as patients may think they are getting better value for money but not necessarily are.

Mix up alright😅. Yeah single hair transplant are very thin and sadly results are quite thin. I got 4900 grafts, some of them from beard for extra density on the Crown.

• Advertisement

Yeah man be ridiculous to transplant just single hairs all over.

You would never get full coverage with single hair transplants.

Does anyone know if Aer Lingus or Ryanair fly to Istanbul airport?

Does anyone know if Aer Lingus or Ryanair fly to Istanbul airport?

Looks like Turkish Airlines only, 250-400 for a non stop round trip seems reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,322 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

iebamm2580 wrote: »
    aielesbury apparently transplant by the hair which i dont agree with as patients may think they are getting better value for money but not necessarily are.

Ailesbury price by the hair, but transplant by the graft.

I went to them just over a month ago for 4000 hairs for just over 5.5k. That translated to around 1600ish grafts. I had a lot of 3s/4s grafts. They put the single hair grafts in the front and then multiple hair grafts everywhere else.

So far so good, very happy with how it's going. I'm in the midst of my shock loss atm so I'll not post any photos just yet lol but based on it how it looked from first transplant and the week or two after that, I'm very hopeful of a good result.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭20/20

Rikand wrote: »
    Ailesbury price by the hair, but transplant by the graft.

I went to them just over a month ago for 4000 hairs for just over 5.5k. That translated to around 1600ish grafts. I had a lot of 3s/4s grafts. They put the single hair grafts in the front and then multiple hair grafts everywhere else.

So far so good, very happy with how it's going. I'm in the midst of my shock loss atm so I'll not post any photos just yet lol but based on it how it looked from first transplant and the week or two after that, I'm very hopeful of a good result.

You got a very good price, was the transplant at the top or front.?

20/20 wrote: »
    You got a very good price, was the transplant at the top or front.?

Front - I'm still bald on the crown but I dont really care about that. The important thing for me was to get a good hairline and good density at the front. Basically what I see when I look in the mirror. In a couple of years time I can think about getting the crown done

Rikand When did you get the transplant done ? and when did you get the quote of 5.5k ?

Iam curious because I paid them €7500 in late Feb for 4000 to the front like yourself.
    Forgetting the price I am still very happy with the results nine months later.

Rikand When did you get the transplant done ? and when did you get the quote of 5.5k ?

Iam curious because I paid them €7500 in late Feb for 4000 to the front like yourself.
    Forgetting the price I am still very happy with the results nine months later.

I got the quote last year and I am very grateful to them for honouring the original quote I got 1 year later. In my own mind, when I went in thinking I was getting 4000 hairs done, I was expecting a figure like yours, but I went in at a time when they were having a sale, so I just got really lucky. I dont have a lot of money and the price I got took me that year to get together, so I am truly very grateful to them.

Delighted to hear that you are very happy with your results 9 months later. It gives me a lot of hope for my own results :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,045 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

So from this thread, if your not willing to go to turkey, your best options are Ailsbury or HRBR ?

• Advertisement

So from this thread, if your not willing to go to turkey, your best options are Ailsbury or HRBR ?

Dont limit yourself to just two places. There's a half dozen or more clinics in Ireland. Go to a few of them. I did. Talk to the consultants/sales people and get a feel for the places and see what/who you like. Talk to them about the procedures, talk to them about the after care. Haggle, negotiate, see what you can get thrown in as part of the package. They're running a business at the end of the day

One of the big things for me in deciding to go with Ailesbury is the prescription of Saw Palmetto as its DHT blocker aftercare. I just wasnt happy going with finasteride and the possible side effects that it can have. From every study I have read of Saw Palmetto is that there's no documentation of the same side effects. Having said that, its not supposed to be AS good as Finasteride. Thats the risk of natural vs chemical I suppose.

The other, I just liked the way they sold the product. Felt like they gave it to me very straight and didnt force themselves on me in any sort of capacity. 'Do it if you want, don't do it if you don't want'. I like that kind of a sales pitch lol.

Most important thing I can say is don't rush into it. Even if you have a really strong donor area like I do, you only get one head of hair. It's an important decision. Make the most informed one that you can before you go and do it

• Registered Users Posts: 18,823 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

I've had two transplants now- one in Turkey and one with Aylesbury clinic.

Turkey was a few years ago and Aylesbury was in March of this year.

Both transplants were the first one third of the head. I've posted about both on here.

It could be a huge coincidence but ever in three last few months I've noticed 2 things;

1) i have thinned out noticeably in the middle third
    2) that whenever a light shines on my head its like some sort I'd magic trick in that it makes it look like my hair has disappeared. It makes me extremely self aware of where i stand when out of the house.

From a distance and in low lighting, the hair looks 100%.

I am guessing that both problems are caused by the hair becoming thinner and that its an age thing. So i think I've a couple of options;

1) go back on finistrade (sp?). I was on it before and suffered had zero after effects but came off it because of what i had read
    2) try a natural version of it. Ive just stated biomine (sp?).
    3) get the pigmentation (think it costs about 1000e or so)
    4) see about *another* transplant
    5) cut it all really short/off. This is obviously the last resort for a number of reasons.

Has anyone any similar experience or advice?

Thanks

PS - i do have a follow up appointment in Aylesbury in January so will be talking to them about it. I just wanted some views from outside the clinic

Do you mean the transplanted hair or your existing hair has thinned out? Dr Nel was insistent on fin and im back on it again, my existing hair seems thicker and tbh i think its essential to take after a transplant and i will continue to do so until a viable alternative is available hopefully in the next few years from cassiopeia an italian compmany rho are developing a topical anti-androgen.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,823 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

This is a front view. The hairline was created by 2 sets of implants, the second filling in on the first.

Like I said, from a distance or in low light, the hair looks 100%.

everlast75 wrote: »
    This is a front view. The hairline was created by 2 sets of implants, the second filling in on the first.

Like I said, from a distance or in low light, the hair looks 100%.

I'm sure fibres like Toppik and stains etc would be very helpful for specific occasions, although not practical for day to day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 HL2020

I’ve just booked in for my transplant in Aug 2020 in Vancouver with Hasson and Wong. $4.5 a graft for the first 2000 and $2.7 after that (I need about 5,000 my total cost will be about €15,000) I had a consultation with them in the UK. Flights are €500 (get €400 back) and 3 nights accommodation included.

From all my research (months and months of trawling through blogs and videos) and consultations with HRBR (2) and Aylesbury I felt H&W are a better option / value. It comes in at less than half the price of HRBR. Way more expensive than Turkey but looking at the pic/videos online and how I felt after the consultation I’m glad I made the decision.

There are definitely other options out there, don’t rush into a decision or clinic. If you have any questions happy to help. I’m on Finasteride after consultation with HRBR.

HL2020 That is a lot of money and a lot of travelling. What was wrong with Aylesbury ? you could have at least twice as much done and be back in your own bed at night.

Anyway I thought I would post some pics of my experience with Aylesbury.
    1+2 : Sunday 24 Feb 2019 the day I had head shaved like they wanted.
    3 : Monday 25 Feb 2019 the day of the procedure all finished, I cant wash head until Tuesday.
    4+5 : 3rd December 2019 how it looks now nine months later and they claim it takes up to 18 months for full results. I know I need a decent hair cut but like everlast75 some might say it still looks thin with very bright light directly overhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,303 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Aylesbury love the horse shoe hairline.

Aylesbury love the horse shoe hairline.

I have had no hair on a section of the left side for over 45 years because of a bad burn accident when I was younger. Its not noticeable as been bald now with the natural receding on front. But because of this there was no point in transplanting to the left as the area is dead and will never grow. To follow on from that, transplanting to the right and front would make the left side look far more noticeable as been bald.
    Hence the reason for the hairline been the way it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,303 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I have had no hair on a section of the left side for over 45 years because of a bad burn accident when I was younger. Its not noticeable as been bald now with the natural receding on front. But because of this there was no point in transplanting to the left as the area is dead and will never grow. To follow on from that, transplanting to the right and front would make the left side look far more noticeable as been bald.
    Hence the reason for the hairline been the way it is.

They do it to everyone regardless though, it's their thing. The turks go with a more youthful hairline, even for guys over 30

Advertisement