Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Hair transplant diary (ongoing)

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,635 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Congrats, it looks really good

• Registered Users Posts: 17,845 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

That looks great now, I thought you'd got a bit of a cowboy job in the previous posts tbh but thats near perfect. Any chance of a total for the final financial cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,774 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Wibbs wrote: »
    Looking well alright. From what you were saying earlier even more of the hairy fellas will grow in the next 6 months?

Yeah, apparently the six month mark is a good point to judge how well it'll turn out. They say you should wait a year for the full results but it won't change too much after six months.

Thargor wrote: »
    That looks great now, I thought you'd got a bit of a cowboy job in the previous posts tbh but thats near perfect. Any chance of a total for the final financial cost?

Thanks. It was 2250 grafts, at €2 each. So the operation itself was €4500, which included accommodation at the hospital where I stayed.

Mr.S wrote: »
    What happens when your hairline recedes more, as i'm guessing it will, do you have to keep going back for more transplants?

The front of my head should be fine, since the hairs were transplanted there, but the rest will continue to recede. Since I've hit 30, the speed at which the hair loss occurs is meant to slow down, and I use all the recommended medication. So I'm doing the best I can feasibly do to slow down or try to pause the situation.

Having said that, most people who lose hair from a young age will end up needing more than one transplant. In my case, I'll likely get the crown (which is OK, but not great) filled in with the remaining 2000 grafts in a few years, or a combination of crown and the rest. I'll never have a full, perfect head of hair and with my naturally fine hair, the total donor hair that can be transplanted is a smaller amount than that of most people. But if the front and crown look OK, I can deal with relatively thin hair in the other areas. We'll see how it goes.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Simon2015

I use all the recommended medication. So I'm doing the best I can feasibly do to slow down or try to pause the situation.

By taking the "recommended medication" you are playing with fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 duckduck1991

Looks like a great job ...And it was quite affordable as well..I'm on propecia for 7 yrs now on and off am 30 yrs old..Hair loss gradually getting worce but held it off many years first noticed it at 21.. I thought it was the end of the world..Somehow over the years iv learned to accept it but I often think of getting hair transplant done hate opperations tho..I take propecia for about a year at a time and then stop for year..All the hair I grow just falls out as soon as I stop but it seams to regrow somewhat when I go back on the propecia..Some might say it's pointless but I honestly do think if I never started the propecia I'd have a lot less hair on the top of my head...keep us posted :-)

Here's a five month update. Right temple definitely looks fuller than the right at the moment, but aside from that I'm very happy with how things are progressing.

ZFDgTXf.jpg?1

mv99A8Z.jpg?1

FsvGf8Q.jpg?1

Akin2tq.jpg?1

HU0tb4F.jpg?1

1aaWz1e.jpg?1

By the way, here are some shots I recently received by the hospital. These were taken immediately prior to the operation (hence the sides being shaved).

attachment.php?attachmentid=85453&d=1445434365

attachment.php?attachmentid=85452&d=1445434348

attachment.php?attachmentid=85454&d=1445434379

attachment.php?attachmentid=85455&d=1445434391

Six month update pics below. Really, really happy with how things are coming along, especially the right temple. Left temple could do with a little more coverage, but we'll wait and see.

This will be the last post for a few months, as the gains from this point won't too very noticeable month after month. But I'll wait for nine month update for the next pics.

hbyZ5FM.jpg?1
    pAkymiD.jpg?1
    VI0SclR.jpg?1
    GwFBBtb.jpg?1
    yCNRqu2.jpg?1
    kRfU7NV.jpg?1

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,635 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

congrats, looks really really good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭xband

Looks interesting and I would consider it but, I'm terrified of anything to do with hormone modifying drugs.

I'm not sure if I should just go bald gracefully or do something though.

I'm in 30s and suddenly single again which is what's making me think maybe I should.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

I have a friend from school days who started to lose his hair very young. His hairline was receding badly at 21. He just took a razor blade to it. Once you get over the shock of being a cue ball it just becomes normal.

Fair play to OP I suppose if it's what he wants to do. But for the cost, time it takes, months with very obvious transplanted hair, the travel etc... I think I'd just shave it all off if my mop ever starts to thin early.

Also, I agree with the poster above. Messing with hormones can be dangerous. One man might have no side effect. Another could have all sorts... A lot of these drugs come from very suspect pharma companies with doctors acting as sales reps.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Simon2015

xband wrote: »
    Looks interesting and I would consider it but, I'm terrified of anything to do with hormone modifying drugs.

Your right to be concerned, the only Doctors who will tell you that the drug is "safe" are those with a vested interest in the hair loss industry.

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-best-treatment-for-hair-loss-1/answer/Andrew-Rynne?ref=fb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭FURET

Fukuyama wrote: »
    I have a friend from school days who started to lose his hair very young. His hairline was receding badly at 21. He just took a razor blade to it. Once you get over the shock of being a cue ball it just becomes normal.

I was receding badly at 19. Yes, you do get used to it and it becomes normative for you. But I have to say, I really do miss my hair sometimes, even after 15 years of blade zero. If I thought for a moment that a hair transplant would give me the same result as the OP is enjoying, I'd go for it. I'm too far gone though. Sickens me. I hope that some day within the next 10 years there'll be a realistic way of reversing MPB.

FURET wrote: »
    I was receding badly at 19. Yes, you do get used to it and it becomes normative for you. But I have to say, I really do miss my hair sometimes, even after 15 years of blade zero. If I thought for a moment that a hair transplant would give me the same result as the OP is enjoying, I'd go for it. I'm too far gone though. Sickens me. I hope that some day within the next 10 years there'll be a realistic way of reversing MPB.

You know i'd be the same, however i'd still shave it off :pac:

I have no interest in maintaining a hair style, that be be apathy after so long not having to, but i think i'd struggle to be bothered.

I'd expect over the next 10-15 years for there to be some pretty good treatments available

So here is my long-awaited (right...? maybe?) 9-month update. Hair's a bit longer, as you can tell. Have to say I'm very happy with how things have turned out. Being honest, the rate of growth from 3-6 months has been faster than 6-9 months, but being able to experiment with different hairstyles etc at this length is something that would've been impossible for me a year ago. As you will notice, there's a difference between coverage on the right temple and the left temple (thinner), but it isn't anything I'm particularly fussed about, as the overall coverage is a lot better than what I was expecting considering my hair is naturally quite thin.

I'll post a (probably final) 12-month update in 3 months, maybe side-by-side with the pre-op versions.

mhyLcfy.jpg?1

GiHkY5a.jpg?1

O9Q7c5G.jpg?1

UflSKEk.jpg?1

xDplekl.jpg?1

XqHgctr.jpg?1

congrats, looks impressive!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Citizen2011

Great job - you must be thrilled. Could you post a PIC of the donor area?

Great job - you must be thrilled. Could you post a PIC of the donor area?

Hi Citizen. Picture below isn't great, but turns out I'm terrible at taking pics of the back of my head.

uZyGgKH.jpg?1

The below pic is immediately post-op, and is as painful as it looks.

Njw5L7t.png?1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Congrats, it looks really good. I'd say I'm close enough to where you were at. I'm thinning at the temples, I go blade 1 or 2 sides with a long length fringe. It does for now but I miss leaving my fringe up instead having to sweep it to the side.

I think time will come where I will have to look at options as I do love my hair. Hopefully transplant technology will improve, the procedure looks quite painful and I don't fancy taking the drugs that are there at the min.

Thanks for keeping us updated

13-month update!

Hey guys. So today was my first haircut in four months. Decided to see what the hair would look like if it was grown fairly long. Answer was... not so great. Truth is there's only so much you can do with grafts that are there to cover a problem. The grafts I got were there to fill out what I had and look a lot better with the length haircut I've had in all the picture postings. Longer it went, the more I looked like Nathan Drake's brother in Uncharted 4.

As you can see below, hair is shorter than previous haircut. Left side looks thinner before due to the parting. I'd say that the overall hair is thinner than before (which was quite pronounced when hair was longer) but overall, still very happy with how things are going thus far.

wXY2VPi.jpg?1

HYQSbE7.jpg?1

R1rxdNw.jpg?1

B1tAS2K.jpg?1

Q6wjk5X.jpg?1

5Of7L1V.jpg?1

i still think it looks pretty damn good!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭ladiesman216

Congrats Op - looks great.

The thing that i find curious is if you compare yours to Wayne Rooneys its looks so much better but i assume Rooney had the best money can buy so i have to wonder if some people are just not suited to a transplant?

Have you been told that you will have to 'top up' in a couple of years?

The thing that i find curious is if you compare yours to Wayne Rooneys its looks so much better but i assume Rooney had the best money can buy so i have to wonder if some people are just not suited to a transplant?

I don't know the full details regarding the number of grafts etc that Rooney had but most results will depend on the health of your donor hair and the number of hair you can transplant. The donor hair you have will be limited, but the thicker your hair is, the more you'll be able to use. I had 2250 grafts implanted, and have 2000 left if I want another in the future. That's a fairly small number, because I've naturally fine hair, but it suited my needs - the temples and the front of the hairline.

In Rooney's case, he probably had a similar number of grafts that can be implanted, but a much larger area to cover. There's only so much a surgeon can do until hair cloning is introduced.

As for me, I'll probably have a top up in a few years, but the grafts used will mostly be on my crown, which I cover with Toppik for now (it's not as bad as the temples became).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Just on Rooney his hair always seemed farily thin so I always thought that that had something to do with how his looks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Money does not guarantee a good surgery. Lots of rich people tend to splash out on the most expensive surgeons to guarantee good results and probably dont spend the indordinate amount of hours us commoners spend researching the best reviewed surgeons out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Would there be an issue with Rooney taking any of the drugs needed to stop further hair loss in terms of them affecting his performance? Could that be a reason why it doesn't look as good as it should.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,313 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Hi OP. Can you give us a rough idea how much the procedure costs in total?

• Advertisement

Hi OP. Can you give us a rough idea how much the procedure costs in total?

The surgeon I went to charged €2 per graft for an FUE procedure. For comparison, a popular clinic in Dublin charges €10 per graft.

So I paid for 2250 grafts, and I had a small discount (I think it was €200-300) for the post-op photos they took immediately after the procedure. In total it was about €4250 or so.

Advertisement