Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Phoenix magazine has an article on what has been going on behind the scenes in this mess. I'll give a quick summary-

-A couple of weeks back a 'senior source' within FG leaked that the party may run four candidates in Dun Laoighire. Four candidates for two seats doesnt make electoral sense so the speculation is that Maria Bailey is for the chop. The 'senior source' was Paschal o'Donohue, director of elections. This then prompted Richard Bruton to come out and ask for mercy for Maria. Speculation is he did so to cosy up to Simon Coveney, probably because Tricky Dicky wants to get his hands on Paschals job and Coveney can facilitate that.

-Maria Bailey backed Simon Coveney in the leadership contest vs. Varadkar. Coveneys camp feels that if Leo returns with less seats than Michael Martin in the next general election then Leo is toast and in will swoop the merchant prince from Cork. Problem for Coveney is he needs every vote from the parliamentary party, hence he has been supporting Bailey in private. Coveney carried Maria Baileys fathers coffin at the funeral and made a speech about him from the alter.

-The local FG party members in DL feel that Bailey being on the ticket means they cannot retain two seats. Word is that if Leo does not act then they will. TDs and party members in other Dublin constituencies feel that Bailey on the ticket means they cannot win a second seat in any constituency, such is her toxicity. There is a latent anger and if she runs then candidates canvassing in other constituencies are going to be taking flak from voters over her.

Sounds like she is a gonner. Not because she engaged in insurance fraud though, that is fine and dandy within Fine Gael. Shes a gonner because its politically expedient to do so, its the old story of a lack of morals, backbone and putting the party before the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Fine Gael really are pathetic. Rotten to the ****ing core.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Phoenix magazine has an article on what has been going on behind the scenes in this mess. I'll give a quick summary-

-A couple of weeks back a 'senior source' within FG leaked that the party may run four candidates in Dun Laoighire. Four candidates for two seats doesnt make electoral sense so the speculation is that Maria Bailey is for the chop. The 'senior source' was Paschal o'Donohue, director of elections. This then prompted Richard Bruton to come out and ask for mercy for Maria. Speculation is he did so to cosy up to Simon Coveney, probably because Tricky Dicky wants to get his hands on Paschals job and Coveney can facilitate that.

-Maria Bailey backed Simon Coveney in the leadership contest vs. Varadkar. Coveneys camp feels that if Leo returns with less seats than Michael Martin in the next general election then Leo is toast and in will swoop the merchant prince from Cork. Problem for Coveney is he needs every vote from the parliamentary party, hence he has been supporting Bailey in private. Coveney carried Maria Baileys fathers coffin at the funeral and made a speech about him from the alter.

-The local FG party members in DL feel that Bailey being on the ticket means they cannot retain two seats. Word is that if Leo does not act then they will. TDs and party members in other Dublin constituencies feel that Bailey on the ticket means they cannot win a second seat in any constituency, such is her toxicity. There is a latent anger and if she runs then candidates canvassing in other constituencies are going to be taking flak from voters over her.

Sounds like she is a gonner. Not because she engaged in insurance fraud though, that is fine and dandy within Fine Gael. Shes a gonner because its politically expedient to do so, its the old story of a lack of morals, backbone and putting the party before the country.

Interesting one. Explains Bruton's bizarre show of support.

Fine Gael really do seem be rudderless now. I thought Leo would be good but he has Enda's affliction of not being able to take tough decisions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Interesting one. Explains Bruton's bizarre show of support.

Fine Gael really do seem be rudderless now. I thought Leo would be good but he has Enda's affliction of not being able to take tough decisions.

Enda was a clown raised beyond his abilities, Leo is a vacuous individual obsessed by a sense of his own importance, this is depressing anything I say can be applied to every serving clown we have. Voting is a waste of time as we have such a piss poor pool to choose from .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Bingo Muh, excellent summarisation, insurance fraud is ok with FG if they are dependent on numbers for the party.

It certainly puts a new light on the horse sh1t campaign leo embarked on about welfare cheats cheating us all.

Insurance cheats do likewise Leo including those who enable or encourage it, and you have a few in your midst, right up there in ministerial roles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Sooo, FF back in business? I'm not sure if SwingGate will have as much an effect as those n here think it will (esp. if she's deselected), I'd imagine there might be more anger around the cost of the Children's hospital and Broadband. They could completely reverse it by bringing in legislation to reduce insurance payouts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

a 'former' FGer getting some comeuppance...
    A county councillor faces a significant legal bill arising out of his failed High Court bid to halt an ethics inquiry into comments he made while being secretly filmed by RTÉ's Primetime Programme.

At the High Court on Tuesday Mr Justice Garrett Sims ruled that Monaghan County Councillor Hugh McElvaney should pay the legal costs of proceedings the politician brought against the Standards in Public Office Commission.

Hugh will have to show them the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,306 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Is this the 10 grand would be a start guy?
    Who said he was just playing along....

What a scumbag.....he got in again anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mike_cork

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/fine-gael-risk-election-chances-if-bailey-issue-not-put-to-bed-950492.html

Senior party sources have admitted the party fears the Swing-gate controversy will decimate its support in the key battleground and some are calling for Ms Bailey to stand down for the good of the party.

With Mr Barrett retiring, the party is resigned to losing one seat, but the Bailey controversy could really hurt its chances of retaining power nationally.

“Dun Laoghaire is one constituency we cannot afford to lose two seats, it simply cannot happen. That simply is the reality,” said one senior party source.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

I'd say it's a dead cert that it will hurt power retention chances, no matter what the lovely Maria does now.

Maria is the new dead cat that Noonan likened Irish Water to.

She needs to be dragged off the pitch.

Meeeeow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

With Mr Barrett retiring, the party is resigned to losing one seat, but the Bailey controversy could really hurt its chances of retaining power nationally.

"Dun Laoghaire is one constituency we cannot afford to lose two seats, it simply cannot happen. That simply is the reality,”

Here is funny thought: If you had kicked the 2 or 3 insurance scammers out of the party the moment their fraudulent behaviour became public knowledge, you actually might have won a few votes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Fine Gael is putting way too much focus on Dun Laoghaire.

The fraudulent insurance claims from Farrell and Bailey aided and abetted by Madigan will affect votes in each and every constituency in GE 2020.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,715 ✭✭✭golfball37

It’s beyond Maria stepping aside at this stage. The inaction of the party on the whole issue is now the issue. Bailey standing aside would be too little too late.

Excuse my ignorance but what has Farrell and Madigan done?

Maria's less than genuine claims became public knowledge last May here we are at the start of the new Dail term and it's still making the papers. Didn't someone say it would all be forgotten by the Summer recess? lol. Although he has been quiet of late isn't that so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,043 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Excuse my ignorance but what has Farrell and Madigan done?

For Farell

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057890004

Madigan gave initial legal advice to Bailey

The rest of her involvement is unknown thanks to the internal report not being released

Many have a big suspicion Madigan is more involved than Fg are letting on

I don't know how they can keep a straight face.
    Year on year record breaking crises and we're sold 'stability'.

If Maria is an example of FG stability, well.... :):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,409 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Anyone rushing to vote for FF...
    https://www.thejournal.ie/varadkar-election-micheal-martin-4807249-Sep2019/

FF & FG are one and the same, vote for one self serving party, get the other thrown in for free.

Everyone is aware that they are basically the same, except their members and voters

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Maria's less than genuine claims became public knowledge last May here we are at the start of the new Dail term and it's still making the papers. Didn't someone say it would all be forgotten by the Summer recess? lol. Although he has been quiet of late isn't that so?

That was me.

I claimed that the news cycle would have moved on come September. Brexit would be back on the agenda and the only people continuing to bang on about Deputy Bailey would be the cranks in here.

I was pretty bang on the money. Very little in the media since "Silly Season" ended.

The pintman called it right. Once again. Fair dues.

That was me.

I claimed that the news cycle would have moved on come September. Brexit would be back on the agenda and the only people continuing to bang on about Deputy Bailey would be the cranks in here.

I was pretty bang on the money. Very little in the media since "Silly Season" ended.

I reckon your team will get in next election. With FG playing second fiddle I suppose you'll be out of work? Unless you get a job with FG pretending to be a FF supporter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

salmocab wrote: »
    Everyone is aware that they are basically the same, except their members and voters
    They understand it's one or the other no matter how much you jump up and down.

That was me.

Today's Examiner contradicts your claim.

And that's the Pintman back in his box for another stretch, expect umpteenth "nothing to see here folks" lament down the line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

That was me.

Paddy,,, wait and see what the voter's think when they are voting...because there is not a motorist or business person who has not been royally screwed by the insurer's... and the insurers are laying the blame on the high cost of ,claims from the likes of Bailey and Farrell, to name just two...,so no, it will not evaporate, and I'm pretty sure that the pot will simmer away on the back boiler until election time, and then it will bubble up again...strong as ever.

is_that_so wrote: »
    They understand it's one or the other no matter how much you jump up and down.

I wouldn’t go that far, its one or the other but the jumping up and down will decide by what size their coalition partners are. The current one is a mess of inept FG leaders and some of the worst independents that money can buy. Ross and Zapone leading the charge of people given jobs they can’t do and even with these fools on board they can’t get a majority.

jmreire wrote: »
    Paddy,,, wait and see what the voter's think when they are voting...because there is not a motorist or business person who has not been royally screwed by the insurer's... and the insurers are laying the blame on the high cost of ,claims from the likes of Bailey and Farrell, to name just two...,so no, it will not evaporate, and I'm pretty sure that the pot will simmer away on the back boiler until election time, and then it will bubble up again...strong as ever.

Your wasting your time he’s talking about himself in third person, he’s taken a slurp from Trumps cup there with the self Congratulations that haven’t been earned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

astrofool wrote: »
    Sooo, FF back in business? I'm not sure if SwingGate will have as much an effect as those n here think it will (esp. if she's deselected), I'd imagine there might be more anger around the cost of the Children's hospital and Broadband. They could completely reverse it by bringing in legislation to reduce insurance payouts.

They could but they won’t....all we will hear about now is Brexit to try and deflect all attention away from the mess......

Even Waterford whispers still taking the pee out of them
    http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2019/02/04/government-confirm-intention-to-use-brexit-as-excuse-for-everything/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I don’t agree the the prime culprit is disgusting get thieves like Maria Bailey. Why are these ridiculous claims being paid out ? Its the judges that are most to Blame in my opinion and probably politicians most for not capping payments etc , if the legal profession are taking the piss

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

No one reads that backwater parochial rag.

You made a claim, basically you were shown to be a liar. Best to accept and move on. ;-)

Examiner2.jpg

Deary me, what have you done Simon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Maria is the new dead cat that Noonan likened Irish Water to.

She needs to be dragged off the pitch.

Meeeeow.

Yes but don’t stray offside on the pitch

Maria Bailey knows offside in GAA ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Terrible from Simon but Leo should have overuled him. Weak as a kitten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Coveney was the only one coming out of this looking good but now he made a pigs ear out of that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

What’s this about her now being liable for significant legal and medical bills? She ran a 10k 4 years ago after falling off the swing, what is Leo going on about? Did she not have health insurance?

SillyCorruptAngelwingmussel-size_restricted.gif

If fg won’t support workers as they claim too. I’ll happily vote for the other disgrace that is ff, to remove varadkAr that disgrace as Taoiseach will be enough for me ...

• Advertisement

Idbatterim wrote: »
    If fg won’t support workers as they claim too. I’ll happily vote for the other disgrace that is ff, to remove varadkAr that disgrace as Taoiseach will be enough for me ...
    Until you manage to label Martin an utter or thundering disgrace! :)

Until you manage to label Martin an utter or thundering disgrace! :)

Yeah but mm hasn’t lied about so much. Spoken so much and delivered so little. All varadkar cares about is varadkar and the limelight !

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Coveney was the only one coming out of this looking good but now he made a pigs ear out of that
    He was never involved in it in any way. Article claims Varadkar wanted to kick her out but that's no redemption for him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

Its not the reader's of " Parochial Rag's" ( your word's Paddy,,, ) that you need to concern yourself with Paddy.....it's all the People who read their renewal quotes each year for their insurance...

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Yeah but mm hasn’t lied about so much. Spoken so much and delivered so little. All varadkar cares about is varadkar and the limelight !
    :D:D:D:D:D Do look up his tenure as MoH!

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/martin-spent-eur30m-on-health-reports-1.1164662

Leo certainly won't be sneering at anyone elses record in health either.

Leo certainly won't be sneering at anyone else's record in health either.
    For me only one MoH has ever really stood out and that's Harney but her time was not wholly successful either. It's called Angola for a reason - it's still a potential political career destroyer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

That is a load of nonsense. I have a strong dislike of Bailey but that article is just putting people against people, arguing for reduced claims when claims haven't gone up only insurance company profits have.

What we need is a single public insurer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

GarIT wrote: »
    T

What we need is a single public insurer.

And a government that won't tolerate scammers within their parliamentary party.

ABFG

• Advertisement

For me only one MoH has ever really stood out and that's Harney but her time was not wholly successful either. It's called Angola for a reason - it's still a potential political career destroyer.

Harney the Minister responsible who created the HSE and a double layer of management and bureaucracy as well as outsourcing smear tests to the US. Lots of women with cancer now would strongly disagree that Harney "stood out" :rolleyes: Her decisions as Minister for Health have literally cost people their lives

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement