Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

poppers wrote: »

Another crooked f**k.....FG are making FF look like angels

poppers wrote: »
    From above:
    A government TD submitted invoices to receive taxpayer funding for a St Patrick’s Day festival he organised that wrongly stated that money had been "paid with thanks" to local musicians who were never paid for their performances.

Fine Gael Meath West TD Ray Butler submitted the invoices totalling €1,000 to Meath County Council on behalf of the festival committee in order to receive a community grant for the Trim St Patrick’s Day festival.

Wow. I never saw that, even if it's from 2015. How did Butler explain the, eh, "discrepancy"?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

From above:

Wow. I never saw that, even if it's from 2015. How did Butler explain the, eh, "discrepancy"?

So one of the bands had to go above and beyond to get the minister and when caught out he says "they'll be paid" but they have to beg

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Dammo

From above:

I'm guessing that he was 'told by someone else that they had been paid' and that 'under no circumstances would he have claimed the money had he known otherwise' or something original like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,108 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭golfball37

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    At least it’s a genuine injury unlike the subject of this thread. Also a 2 year old in paid for childcare is entitled to a duty of care under law. The award is ridiculously excessive as usual in Ireland but the claim is legitimate. Someone should be stopping another boy smashing into your child whilst your paying for them to be minded.

golfball37 wrote: »
    At least it’s a genuine injury unlike the subject of this thread. Also a 2 year old in paid for childcare is entitled to a duty of care under law. The award is ridiculously excessive as usual in Ireland but the claim is legitimate. Someone should be stopping another boy smashing into your child whilst your paying for them to be minded.

Yes but €40k is completely disproportionate to the injury

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Dammo

golfball37 wrote: »

it's not possible to monitor every movement by every child unless you go one-for-one supervisors to children. As long as adequate supervision is provided, you have to accept that accidents will happen occasionally. Duty of care doesn't mean that no accidents can occur.

What requires €40,000? emotional upset? €40,000!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

They should dig up Coughlan, he will apologise
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_E5zlcoAiyM&t=65s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

Dammo wrote: »
    it's not possible to monitor every movement by every child unless you go one-for-one supervisors to children. As long as adequate supervision is provided, you have to accept that accidents will happen occasionally. Duty of care doesn't mean that no accidents can occur.

What requires €40,000? emotional upset? €40,000!

The poor child's humanity was obviously crossed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Jupiter Mulligan

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Yes but €40k is completely disproportionate to the injury

That's what the Insurance Company offered. And presumably they know the compo market much better than you and I do.

All the same it makes one wonder about the populist sh1te that Darcy and his stooge Charlie Weston are currently spewing:-

https://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/minister-demands-answers-asinsurance-firms-profits-surge-38272794.html

That's what the Insurance Company offered. And presumably they know the compo market much better than you and I do.

All the same it makes one wonder about the populist sh1te that Darcy and his stooge Charlie Weston are currently spewing:-

https://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/minister-demands-answers-asinsurance-firms-profits-surge-38272794.html

I understand that but the payouts are simply ridiculous for the injuries in my opinion . The insurance companies paying that out is costing creches a fortune and they will be soon priced out
    He broke his arm , €40k is complete nonsense for that injury

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

The government has issued a tender for voting material, GE around Halloween if Brexit done. Wonder will Maria get selected to run considering how many in her party feel she cost votes, may not be too rosey for Alan Farrell either. You can bet opposition candidates in their constituency are going to remind the public of two of FGs most famous TD's compensation claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

40k for two small pale scars..

I must be worth millions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Someone I know was in a really bad accident couple of years ago. Those stick out
    Wing mirrors on a bus smashed into their face, sent them spinning and the front wheel crushed the right leg under the knee.
    Huge big scar down the face, titanium replacement knee and shin.
    Just found out today they have to go see their solicitor to sort out terms out of court next week.

Wonder how much that will be worth

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

It looks straightforward to me. It's a Fine Gael minister attempting to deflect blame away from his colleagues and onto someone else.

Its Farrell and Bailey that should be answering questions but FG are playing the "look over there, nothing to see here" card.

Insurance companies main task is to make profits for their shareholders, they are doing what's expected of them.

Fine Gael on the other hand would appear to be tacitly encouraging people to make questionable claims by accepting that behavior among their members and refusing to condemn them or publishing the report into swingate. What has become expected of them too.

FF on speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

It's funny how the insurance rates were all down to gougers scamming and putting in false claims until two of their own were caught at it. Now it's the fault of...I dunno, Lehmans?

I know a FG TD's daughter who was lucky enough to get an affordable house, near her mammy. Another dodge tail to deflect from FG incompetence and hypocrisy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

It's funny how the insurance rates were all down to gougers scamming and putting in false claims until two of their own were caught at it. Now it's the fault of...I dunno, Lehmans?

I know a FG TD's daughter who was lucky enough to get an affordable house, near her mammy. Another dodge tail to deflect from FG incompetence and hypocrisy.

They've been a pure disappointment

What is it about irish politics causes such open in your face corruption to become the norm,whoever is in power

_blaaz wrote:
    What is it about irish politics causes such open in your face corruption to become the norm,whoever is in power

Simple because we as an electorate are happy to swap the governing party but rarely do we punish a TD that is for want of a better word a 'disgrace' eg M Lowery.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭thequarefellow

This guy was voted back in at local elections recently.
    https://i2-prod.irishmirror.ie/incoming/article6966681.ece/ALTERNATES/s810/08Hugh-McElvaney.jpg

Unbelievable.
    08Hugh-McElvaney.jpg

• Advertisement

Unbelievable.

So were the other two that were investigated.

The electorate often don't appear to hold politicians accountable. So I suppose why should they do so themselves. There's very little accountability in Irish public office.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

From above:

If I am reading the story correctly the money wasn't being claimed by him but by a festival committee. As chair of the committee he signed the letter.

The money wasn't for him..

I could be wrong..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

boombang wrote: »

I don't believe for ONE second that Leo hasn't read this report yet.

pinkyeye wrote: »
    I don't believe for ONE second that Leo hasn't read this report yet.

“What I say on this, and I’ve said it before, is it’s never been the practice for a political party carrying out an internal investigation – it’s not a public inquiry, not funded by public money, it’s an internal investigation being carried out by the party.” Varadkar
    He set up this inquiry because of public pressure. To imply that it should not be made available to the public is insulting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Bailey is small fry compared to Noonan's inappropriate behaviour as regards Project Eagle and the meeting up north, but both are very much in the public interest. We need know what caliber of chancer we are electing and how much disregard they have for the tax paying public.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,854 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Gas thing is, he's saying it's an internal investigation not funded by the tax payer, yet FG get state funding, according to this Irish Times article from 2018 regarding state funding and FG: 'It recorded total income of €6.2 million for the year, of which State funding made up almost €4.7 million.'

So we are paying for it Leo, publish the findings. Or, you know, use your political position for personal gain again maybe. Stevie Wonder is playing in a week, and Post Malone after that. Wonder if he's as interested in them as Kylie.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Gas thing is, he's saying it's an internal investigation not funded by the tax payer, yet FG get state funding, according to this Irish Times article from 2018 regarding state funding and FG: 'It recorded total income of €6.2 million for the year, of which State funding made up almost €4.7 million.'

So we are paying for it Leo, publish the findings. Or, you know, use your political position for personal gain again maybe. Stevie Wonder is playing in a week, and Post Malone after that. Wonder if he's as interested in them as Kylie.

Had to Google him, yep, not as young and hip as I once was. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Another crooked f**k.....FG are making FF look like angels

Which is a sad state of affairs. BOTH deserve to be tossed in the bin

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

This guy was voted back in at local elections recently.
    https://i2-prod.irishmirror.ie/incoming/article6966681.ece/ALTERNATES/s810/08Hugh-McElvaney.jpg

Unbelievable.
    08Hugh-McElvaney.jpg

Can I ask how this former Fine Gael councillor didn't go to prison? Surely he was breaking the law?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement