Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,609 ✭✭✭✭banie01

So we are paying for it Leo, publish the findings. Or, you know, use your political position for personal gain again maybe. Stevie Wonder is playing in a week, and Post Malone after that. Wonder if he's as interested in them as Kylie.

Whatever about Post Malone being down with kids and the political outrage...
    Stevie Wonder will never see the point ;):D

I'll get me coat now...:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

Can I ask how this former Fine Gael councillor didn't go to prison? Surely he was breaking the law?

That sort of thing is only for the little people.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,866 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

pinkyeye wrote: »
    I don't believe for ONE second that Leo hasn't read this report yet.

Fine Gael don't let reports gather dust on a shelf.

Oh actually they do, that's exactly what they do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Jupiter Mulligan

This guy was voted back in at local elections recently.
    https://i2-prod.irishmirror.ie/incoming/article6966681.ece/ALTERNATES/s810/08Hugh-McElvaney.jpg

Unbelievable.
    08Hugh-McElvaney.jpg

Evidently his ethical standard mirrors that of his voters. And that applies to every sleazebag who gets elected.

I can remember Betie Ahern getting the highest number of first preferences in Ireland - at a time when it was glaringly evident that he had the ethical standards of the sewer - but this didn't trouble his voters at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Boggles wrote: »
    Fine Gael don't let reports gather dust on a shelf.

Oh actually they do, that's exactly what they do.

Anyone that believes that A: the report hasn't been finalised, and B: Leo hasn't seen it, must surely believe in fairies and unicorns too.

Further, it's safe to assume that Bailey (and possibly Madigan) has been shown to be caught with their knickers down, otherwise Leo would have been showing the report in every media outlet available to him.

• Advertisement

Evidently his ethical standard mirrors that of his voters. And that applies to every sleazebag who gets elected.

I can remember Betie Ahern getting the highest number of first preferences in Ireland - at a time when it was glaringly evident that he had the ethical standards of the sewer - but this didn't trouble his voters at all.

Are you calling FG voters sleazebags?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,318 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I'm pretty sure they called everybody who votes for sleazebags a sleazebag, which i think is a pretty fair point.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,989 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I am.
    It would be more accurate to blame FG. I'm sure that they saw the report on TV and yet still allowed him to run for their party.
    I have no idea how many seats are up for the council where he sat, but it is possible there could be 5 seats and 6 candidates or another reason he got in.

Also, they may not be voting FG, but the man himself. He may be corrupt in their favour...
    Personally, I don't think anyone with any affiliation (past or present) to a large Government party should be allowed to take a council seat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Suckit wrote: »
    It would be more accurate to blame FG. I'm sure that they saw the report on TV and yet still allowed him to run for their party.
    I have no idea how many seats are up for the council where he sat, but it is possible there could be 5 seats and 6 candidates or another reason he got in.

Also, they may not be voting FG, but the man himself. He may be corrupt in their favour...
    Personally, I don't think anyone with any affiliation (past or present) to a large Government party should be allowed to take a council seat.

This is exactly what happened.
    McElvaney is a four-time mayor and has been re-elected in the council in the Ballybay-Clones electoral area. The area was noteworthy for having five seats available and just six candidates.

The 6th candidate must have been a complete shyster altogether!

I am still at a loss why the Gardaí weren't compelled to investigate McElvaney's corruption after the RTE investigation. Then again, the Gardaí know exactly how to look the other way too.

Who can you trust in this country anymore???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

This is exactly what happened.

The 6th candidate must have been a complete shyster altogether!

I am still at a loss why the Gardaí weren't compelled to investigate McElvaney's corruption after the RTE investigation. Then again, the Gardaí know exactly how to look the other way too.

:eek: (exact number!!) I should do the Lotto tonight!!!
    My own constituency is very similar, it is ridiculous, IIRC the one that didn't get in was Polish (Whom I suspect would have done a better job).
    The FG candidate in my area got in on the 7th or 8th count I think.
    Handy the way they have the authority to divide each city/council up into small enough areas to pretty much guarantee themselves seats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I am.

Hey, I believed in Enda, Ireland's Tinker Bell.
    To be fair the country was so decimated it was plausible that Fine Gael would step up, no more messing, and look after the country. But they chose to kick a dog while it was down to get the last few shillings out for a sweet deal for Uncle Denis.
    Fine Gael are the respected vicar who likes to dress up in the under garments of a brasser while pontificating to the great unwashed on morality.
    Kenny disgusted me and Leo is a mere spiv caretaker selfie boy.

Bailey is a reminder.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

Shame on those who voted Fine Gael.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

40k for two small pale scars..

I must be worth millions.

Could I have sued the GAA for the injuries I got playing years ago I.e broken wrist x2, teeth knocked out, black eyes, broken collar bone and broken toes?

I could have been a millionaire if so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I understand that but the payouts are simply ridiculous for the injuries in my opinion . The insurance companies paying that out is costing creches a fortune and they will be soon priced out
    He broke his arm , €40k is complete nonsense for that injury

It was a 2 year old child who wasnt being supervised in a play area who suffered a real injury. You know the childs bones will still be growing for another 16 or so year which could lead to complications.

Bailey was seeking up to 60k for landing on her arse while possibly being pissed up

Anyone who votes for a sleazebag must ipse facto, have sleazebag ethics, Johnny Boy.

What don't you understand about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,127 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Shemale wrote: »
    It was a 2 year old child who wasnt being supervised in a play area who suffered a real injury. You know the childs bones will still be growing for another 16 or so year which could lead to complications.

Bailey was seeking up to 60k for landing on her arse while possibly being pissed up

Yes i do know that thank you . I never said they were comparable . And i also know that a two year olds bones heal very well and highly unlikely to cause any complications . And that was never once mentioned anyway .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

Or maybe she didn't land on her privileged arse at all and is doing a Farrell and making the whole thing up to get easy money, just like the Wan with the glass in her bra or wherever she had it.

I'm not saying thats what happened but Leo could release the report, video and all and put rumours like that to bed. Otherwise we can just speculate and take Farrell's actions as the standard they operate to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Anyone who votes for a sleazebag must ipse facto, have sleazebag ethics, Johnny Boy.

What don't you understand about this?

Some folk genuinely buy the FF/FG spiel. How in this day and age I honestly don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Yes i do know that thank you . I never said they were comparable . And i also know that a two year olds bones heal very well and highly unlikely to cause any complications . And that was never once mentioned anyway .

Sorry, I wasnt inferring you had compared them, it was just for balance. It wasnt mentioned but I said "could".

Also the 2 year old would need more care ie an adults understands how to protect themselves and their limitations.

• Advertisement

Sorry, I wasnt inferring you had compared them, it was just for balance. It wasnt mentioned but I said "could".

Also the 2 year old would need more care ie an adults understands how to protect themselves and their limitations.
    Fair enough . I agree a two year old needs more care but these things happen . My own granchild fell in creche but it never once dawned on any of us to sue . Plus I find €40k totally over the top for a fracture in a two year old .

• Registered Users Posts: 40,318 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Fair enough . I agree a two year old needs more care but these things happen . My own granchild fell in creche but it never once dawned on any of us to sue . Plus I find €40k totally over the top for a fracture in a two year old .

did the child break its arm and require surgery to fix it? did they fall due to a foreseeable accident?

did the child break its arm and require surgery to fix it? did they fall due to a foreseeable accident?

A two year old is not one to one in a creche . The carers don’t have eyes in the back of their heads . Its life , toddlers fall all the time . They fall at home too it happens . And why does he need 40k anyway ? It way over the top as are most payouts in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Could I have sued the GAA for the injuries I got playing years ago I.e broken wrist x2, teeth knocked out, black eyes, broken collar bone and broken toes?

I could have been a millionaire if so.

Like Maria Bailey, you were brought up playing GAA so don't play offside.

You're correct. How people could remember this is that Bruton's act led to the collapse of that FG government in March 1982 and John Bruton, then 34 years of age, has been on a massive ministerial pension (actually several of them) from this state every year for the past 37 years. Parasites on the taxpayers of this state, and irony, don't come much bigger than that conservative rightwing politician.

So you don't like him.

He probably wouldn't like you either, if he knew of your existence.

Some folk genuinely buy the FF/FG spiel. How in this day and age I honestly don't know.

Matt pet, I keep telling you, time to grow up and get rid of this infantile "two legs bad, four legs good" simplistic nonsense.

You're a big boy now - in fact I hear you're shaving - so it's about time that your posts reflected your physical (whatever about mental) maturity.

But he wasn't actually corrupt. Sure, he indicated that he was willing to be corrupted, but he didn't actually do anything corrupt.

Somewhat surprisingly, in Leo's Ireland of the snowflake, thoughtcrime isn't yet illegal. So what could the Gardaí have investigated?

Like it or not, much the same applies to Bailey - as her case was withdrawn before coming to court, she's not guilty of any actual crime.

But he wasn't actually corrupt. Sure, he indicated that he was willing to be corrupted, but he didn't actually do anything corrupt.

Somewhat surprisingly, in Leo's Ireland of the snowflake, thoughtcrime isn't yet illegal. So what could the Gardaave investigated?

Like it or not, much the same applies to Bailey - as her case was withdrawn before coming to court, she's not guilty of any actual crime.

https://www.garda.ie/en/Crime/Fraud/What-is-fraud-.html

I know that an attempt was made to defraud me but they didn't get anything. What should I do?

Even though you have not been a victim of crime on this occasion, fraudsters often use the same methods to commit fraud. Any attempted fraud should be reported to An Garda Sh and to your financial institution if relevant without delay. Your information may prevent other incidents of fraud and assist in identifying the fraudster.

Specifically, insurance wise.
    The law, the Civil Liability and Courts Act 2004, under sections 14 and 25, makes it a criminal offence to invent accidents, feign injuries, or exaggerate elements of either.

Section 25 applies to anyone giving false or misleading evidence in a personal injuries action with the intention of misleading the court, while section 14 requires the plaintiff specifically to swear an affidavit as to the truth of all assertions, allegations, and information provided to the defendant and to provide that affidavit within 21 days of lodging a claim.

Fines of up to €100,000 and/or imprisonment of up to ten years can be imposed on those convicted of breaches of either section.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Somewhat surprisingly, in Leo's Ireland of the snowflake, thoughtcrime isn't yet illegal. So what could the Gardaí have investigated?

What? Jaysus don't spend your entire life being a naïve apologist. Wrong is wrong. Do you think RTE Investigates picked his name out of a hat?

Have another look at the video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpko_hXWb7Q

This was clearly not his first time. The Gardaí would easily have found corruption if they did some work and followed the money.

Bailey might have got further with her fraudulent claim if the Independent hadn't compelled her to do the right thing.

• Advertisement

You don't really understand what you just posted do you? Own up, it's nothing to be ashamed of.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement